Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
So when can I play Gears V if I have Game Pass Ultimate? I've seen September 6th, I've seen September 5th, and then I saw an ad on Hulu today that said it released on September 6th but with GP Ultimate you could play 4 days early, which I reckon means the 2nd.

So when is it? I was gonna try to beat Astral Chain before it came out, but I'm not sure I'll be able to, if it's the 2nd I definitely won't be able to.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I just played the first 3 games back to back for the first time and I'm playing 4 now and even though I've died plenty throughout all the games these hoard encounters are the first time I've actually felt frustrated. I hope there are none in 5, they fucking suck.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
So when can I play Gears V if I have Game Pass Ultimate? I've seen September 6th, I've seen September 5th, and then I saw an ad on Hulu today that said it released on September 6th but with GP Ultimate you could play 4 days early, which I reckon means the 2nd.

So when is it? I was gonna try to beat Astral Chain before it came out, but I'm not sure I'll be able to, if it's the 2nd I definitely won't be able to.

When the adverts state 4 days early, they are talking about in reference to the official standard release date which is 9/10/2019.

So "the 4 days early" is the 6th.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the store, Gears 5 says it unlocks at 6PM on the 5th. I'm in the Pacific time zone, usually it would be 9PM...not sure if that's intentionally or not.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
It was the same for forza horizon 4 and crackdown 3, i remember playing it earlier thanks to this kind of unlock 😀

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Marcus is such an old fart
69706106_1874571146022902_6354957937579917312_n.jpg

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't watch the leaked videos, but saw some screens and tweets. This looks good. Finally a Gears game I can truly get behind. Having a new main character is great, I didn't care about any character so far tbh. Big setpieces, insane graphics, improvements in the gameplay, more open structure at times, better progression system... seems like most of the issues I have with Gears are getting fixed.

Totally gonna New Zealand this MF.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
I didn't watch the leaked videos, but saw some screens and tweets. This looks good. Finally a Gears game I can truly get behind. Having a new main character is great, I didn't care about any character so far tbh. Big setpieces, insane graphics, improvements in the gameplay, more open structure at times, better progression system... seems like most of the issues I have with Gears are getting fixed.

Totally gonna New Zealand this MF.

Hoping Videos from the press previews drop today but it is labor day so probably not.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Gears 5 Panel PAX West Highlights. Thanks to Twinfinite https://twinfinite.net/2019/08/gears-5-pax-west/

Gears 5 Boss Shares Tons of Details on Campaign and More

During a panel at PAX West in Seattle hosted by Xbox Live Director of Programming Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb, The Coalition studio head Rod Fergusson talked about Gears 5.
Fergusson ran the audience through a lot of details focusing on the campaign mode and more, including a relevant clarification on the upcoming Gears of War movie.
Below you can read the details he shared.
Beware, this all counts as potential spoilers!
  • Gears 5 has the biggest campaign The Coalition has ever built.
  • The Act 3 level (of which you can see the map, including points of interest) is "fifty times bigger than a normal gears level"
  • The game includes the deepest Horde Mode ever.
  • Versus has 11 different competitive mode.
  • The Map Builder will have the ability to build maps for Horde mode and for Versus mode added after launch.
  • The Coalition wants to release new content weekly, that's why they created the Map Builder. After they created it, they thought it would be cool to let the players use it.
  • The goal for Gears 5 was to challenge expectations through enabling player choice.
  • Gears has been known as a very hardcore franchise and the team wanted to make it more approachable. Game Pass is good for that.
  • One of the elements that embodies player choice is Jack. He provides RPG elements to the game to change up combat. He can cloak you, heal you, drop proximity traps and more. He has seven combat abilities and four passive abilities. You unlock them through the campaign and you can also find components to install. Below you can see his menu.
  • Another relevant thing about player choice is letting players initiate combat instead of having combat forced on the player. You can plot your fight instead of just having to drop into cover and start shooting. Jack's cloak helps with that.
  • Jack's ultimate abilities is unlocked via a side mission.
  • Jack is controlled simply by the Y button when you don't have a player controlling him.
  • The other side of the player choice equation is the Skiff. It's meant to give players control on the pace, and whether they want to engage in combat or explore at any given time.
  • Relic Weapons are "easter eggy" versions of the weapons that you can find. The Crimson Omen indicates that there is Relic Weapon close by.
  • The campaignn Gears 5 is considerably larger than Gears of War 4, and even larger depending on how much of a completionist you are.
  • Below you can see some points that make the game more approachable.
  • The achievement for the Boot Camp is the "Reggie Achievement," "My Body is Ready."
  • Jack can be used by novices, but even veterans will want to have Jack by their side at all times if possible.
  • The developers made an inclusive design sprint early into development to research different disabilities and find out how to adapt the game to help that.
  • You can remap all controls, which supports the Adaptive Controller.
  • Gears Allies is a reward for playing with your friends. When you play with someone a lot your "affinity" grows and that increases your rewards.
  • Playing on Beginner level in Gears 5 turns on assists including target lock.
  • The campaign is a two-sided story. It's the story of Kate starting with the information she learns at the end of Gears of War 4 and she goes on a journey to understand what that means for her.
  • The other side is a story of war. War is coming back to Sera and the Swarm is an increasing threat. The heroes are searching for a way to rebuild the Hammer of Dawn and bring it down on the Swarm.
Campaign Details:
  • Side Missions are all crafted and bespoke experiences. They're not samey.
  • There will be quarterly "operations" with a lot of content added, and that will also include new tiles for the Map Builder with different styles. They might have additional "Seriously" achievements.
  • Multiplayer achievements are designed so that they won't ruin the game for other players. Achievements in general try to incentivize new stuff.
  • The Gears of War movie is moving forward and Fergusson is meeting with the studio on Tuesday.
  • Fergusson explained that the movie is an "alternate reality" as "the canon and lore of the games do not impact the movie and the canon and lore of the movie do not impact the games." but this doesn't mean (as some thought) that the iconic characters of the franchise won't appear. It can still be a story about the original characters but some things may somply happen differently and independently of how they happened in the games.
  • Fergusson had one request of the movie studio: "make a good movie first and a Gears movie second." If they just make a Gears movie it won't be what it needs to be. Fergusson wants it to be "a good story that happens to be a Gears movie."

Holy Crap!! such an awesome achievement in 2 1/2yrs

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I may get a lot of hate here,
But after seeing the first ACT of the game... I really.... Really wished that JD was the protag again, he got real character on him, remember the jump between ME1 Tali/Garrus and ME2 Tali/Garrus?
Well, it felt like that.
Also, JD issues feel more natural than Kait's, he is like a lost puppy that has to fill the shoes of his Pitbull father, also, His dynamic with Fhaz is really good.
I don't know, Kait feels bland now compared to JD, maybe it is the course of being the protag? You know, protag has to be more stoic.
Hope we see more of JD, even if it isnt from his perspective.

I was a little afraid of this, because she wasn't all that interesting in 4 to begin with. I won't judge it yet though, I will wait and see. I have no problem at all with a female protagonist, as long as she's interesting, has charisma, maybe a bit funny too. But hey, we'll see.

I'd quite like it if they have another one from the team as protagonist in Gears 6. Maybe Del?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I like that Playground Games seems to try to get a good mix of very experienced and fresh blood staff. Should keep things dynamic.

Just as a reminder, PG is on their way to become a 400 staff studio (two 200 studios). The growth seems organic and healthy so far.

jobbe1978

Jan 18, 2018
Italy
I like that Playground Games seems to try to get a good mix of very experienced and fresh blood staff. Should keep things dynamic.

Just as a reminder, PG is on their way to become a 400 staff studio (two 200 studios). The growth seems organic and healthy so far.
Impressive. 400 people 😮
I personally root for Compulsion Games, hope they'll grow enough to become a 100 people studio

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hmmm... the "Play Xbox favourites" part makes it sound as it won't be an option available for all games.
Hope it's just for the preview but the wording makes it unclear
The preview I played a few weeks back only had a few titles, so I presume the test will be similar. Halo, Forza, Ori were among the games I tried. I suspect they want to try open world and MP focused titles. They should add KI as well haha.

Jan 4, 2018
The preview I played a few weeks back only had a few titles, so I presume the test will be similar. Halo, Forza, Ori were among the games I tried. I suspect they want to try open world and MP focused titles. They should add KI as well haha.
It'll certainly be a good tezt for input lag
Presumably they have to caveat this based on publisher agreements.
It might be the case, although I don' know if the fact it still runs on a One S hardware, just not in your home, might help them circumvent the need to renegotiate anything

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
It might be the case, although I don' know if the fact it still runs on a One S hardware, just not in your home, might help them circumvent the need to renegotiate anything

If XCloud is a free service, like the Console-To-Mobile streaming app, then MS may not need to negotiate. But if it's a paid service like Gamepass I could see 3rd party publishers trying to make a profit off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.