Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
So, sorry for the delay, it has been a long day for me.
First of all I will make things clear: pick everything with a grain of salt.
How I obtained this informations?
A dear friend of mine is an important member of the italian gears community. He collaborated with Panini Comics for the comic "dirty little secret" and now with multiplayer edizioni for the new novel.
He has a yt channel he managed with his wife(they met thanks to gears 1) and he has mail friends in TC because developers found useful his videos about the lore of the saga(his channel is a little gears wiki).
He gave hints in our chat, caruful to not break any NDA, so I've tried to put the pieces together.
In the spoiler part I will talk in this order:
-Gears tactics position in the saga and how it will be bound to gears 2 and 5
-gears 5 campaign
-Escape.
Remember those are hints I collected in the past months and put together, there's no warranty that the result will be accurate.
So here we go.
There are things I like and things I don't like, but I wont comment anything.
Gears tactics is set after the E-day, as Rod clarified at e3, and in the interface we can see that two characters should survive(like any xcom like there's permadeath) and the surname of the leader is blurred, we only know that his name is "Gabriel" and the surname will be, according t the source, "Diaz"
Gabriel may be the brother of Oscar, husband of Reina and Kait's dad.
The second connection is the main enemy. Rod talked about a locust mad scientist. That scientist could be a character from the comics, Ukkon, a grey emminence that invented the cyborg parts that allow the control of brumaks, corpsers and so on.
Ukkon is, according to several theories, Niles Samson, the scientist who lead the new hope lab visited in gears 2 and his mind was used as a base for the AI that managed the base.
A few months ago the actor who dubbed samson was in the coalition headquarters, so this may back the theory.
He compared the mission structure to god of war and mgsv, with a central hub in New Ephyra, the new Cog's capital showed at the beginning of Gears 4.
The most important change is the stealth which enhances the movement possibilites with the crouch walking, but he ignores how it will be balanced in the pvp
I don't understand how weapon changes work, but there are, he couldn't answer about the armors(ignorance or NDA?)
The plot is full of black humor and less PC than 4.
He talked about "strategic decision on the field".
The melee is inspired by from software games, obviously is a lighter thing.
Several enemies factions.
New enemy classes and new mechanics, like the abilty of the swarm to posses the DeeBees.
Myrrah will have an important role in the background.
The areas will be different and interconnected by the Skiff sections and in the middle New Ephyra.
We will visit several old places from the trilogy and Judgement will have its relevance for the plot
A marriage between horde and campaing.
It's inspired by J's mission, at the beginning you will dropped in the area with three human companions.
From what I've understand it may be a rougelike in which each game is different, with different sections and objectives, and during the post lunch TC will add new pieces that could spawn and even new missions
It's a gears encyclopedia, with several scenarios an periods, old enemies and characters and each of them as little narrative
Well I hope all that is true. Sounds great.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A dear friend of mine is an important member of the italian gears community. He collaborated with Panini Comics for the comic "dirty little secret" and now with multiplayer edizioni for the new novel.
He has a yt channel he managed with his wife(they met thanks to gears 1) and he has mail friends in TC because developers found useful his videos about the lore of the saga(his channel is a little gears wiki).
He gave hints in our chat, caruful to not break any NDA, so I've tried to put the pieces together.
-gears 5 campaign
-Escape.
Remember those are hints I collected in the past months and put together, there's no warranty that the result will be accurate.
So here we go.
Gears tactics is set after the E-day, as Rod clarified at e3, and in the interface we can see that two characters should survive(like any xcom like there's permadeath) and the surname of the leader is blurred, we only know that his name is "Gabriel" and the surname will be, according t the source, "Diaz"
The second connection is the main enemy. Rod talked about a locust mad scientist. That scientist could be a character from the comics, Ukkon, a grey emminence that invented the cyborg parts that allow the control of brumaks, corpsers and so on.
Ukkon is, according to several theories, Niles Samson, the scientist who lead the new hope lab visited in gears 2 and his mind was used as a base for the AI that managed the base.
A few months ago the actor who dubbed samson was in the coalition headquarters, so this may back the theory.
He compared the mission structure to god of war and mgsv, with a central hub in New Ephyra, the new Cog's capital showed at the beginning of Gears 4.
The most important change is the stealth which enhances the movement possibilites with the crouch walking, but he ignores how it will be balanced in the pvp
I don't understand how weapon changes work, but there are, he couldn't answer about the armors(ignorance or NDA?)
New enemy classes and new mechanics, like the abilty of the swarm to posses the DeeBees.
The areas will be different and interconnected by the Skiff sections and in the middle New Ephyra.
We will visit several old places from the trilogy and Judgement will have its relevance for the plot
It's inspired by J's mission, at the beginning you will dropped in the area with three human companions.
From what I've understand it may be a rougelike in which each game is different, with different sections and objectives, and during the post lunch TC will add new pieces that could spawn and even new missions
It's a gears encyclopedia, with several scenarios an periods, old enemies and characters and each of them as little narrative
GotY incoming. Thanks for the tidbits!

Apr 6, 2018
It definitely makes sense and i personally have always thought that they should have these WWZ/L4D like missions in an alternate version to Horde where you see the stories from JD and Marcus while the campaign is fully focused on Kait and the origins of the Swarm.
Doesnt sound to crazy,
Hmmm... this is interesting alright
I really hope some of that Gears 5 info is true.
Sounds tasty! Really hope we get an Overrun mode (or some variant of)
Well I hope all that is true. Sounds great.
Gears 5 will be something special...
Thanks to everyone, I would love to respond to each message
GotY incoming. Thanks for the tidbits!
Personal goty or official goty? This year is clear the dmcv's one

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Miles Jacobson is boss [IIRC] of Sports Interactive who make Football (Soccer) Manager. It's immensely successful but 0 idea why that'd have anything to do with MS, in any realm.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
cross-posting my reply in the thread: At launch, we've heard there won't be any "Xbox Scarlett"-exclusive games. For at least a few years.

I've been away for a few days -- Just now catching up. I will say that I think this would be a major mistake on Microsoft's part, if this is true, and if this is as different as it sounds, beyond the normal cross generational period of 2 years or so. Scarlett absolutely has to have (at launch in 2020) some next-generation only games that are not possible on Xbox One / One X or even the 1X, in addition to the usual cross-gen games.

It would be terrible if Scarlett not only does not get games that are exclusive to the console (because they're also on PC), but also does not get any next-gen exclusive games that are just multi-platform for PS5 and PC as well.

That would be double bad.

Mainly because next-gen exclusive games will be designed to run on Zen-class CPUs (Zen, Zen+ and Zen 2) and won't work well if at all on Jaguar CPUs.

THEN on top of that, the prospect of Anaconda not being the new baseline spec for new Xbox games going forward, because the lower spec Lockhart is the baseline.

This will be a large advantage for Sony and PS5, especially for 1st party games, and eventually, 3rd party games on PS5.

In short, if this rumor is true, Microsoft would be further watering down the impact of its next generation Xbox, and any performance advantage Anaconda might have over PS5.
Games will probably only be cross gen for the first year. First year games are mostly cross gen. Halo infinite will look amazing on anaconda.

All the stuff people talk about like better AI, world simulation, etc. will not be fully realized until after year 2. 1st party Developers are not wizards who are going to put out amazing new gameplay with in the first year of a console launch. That shit will take time and money.

If whatever Halo title that releases after Infinite and it's base console is Xbox one, then we have a problem. However I doubt it's the case.

Calm down.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
If only I would have the power to create a dream project lol

fixedyqj2n.png

awesome!

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't God of War (April) beat out Red Dead Redemption 2 (October) last year? Same with BotW beating SMO the year before that?
You occasionally get really damn huge games that outweigh everything else that came after them (I think TW3 did the same) but there's plenty of years that older releases that were really well received just dropped off the radar.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
You occasionally get really damn huge games that outweigh everything else that came after them (I think TW3 did the same) but there's plenty of years that older releases that were really well received just dropped off the radar.

Almost as if awards and lists and aggregate sites are generally very imperfect attempts to gauge and celebrate quality, and, more significantly, range.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
As much as I want Banjo, I'm low-key afraid it'll fail commercially in today's gaming climate and forever be thrown into purgatory.

I totally understand that and I sort of have that concern as well, but that probably depends on how much marketing push a Banjo game would get from MS. If they market it as abysmally as they did Nuts & Bolts, then yeah, it might be done for.

I still think it would probably sell more than N&B if they make it a traditional platformer because of the amount of people clamoring for it. If they make Banjo Threeie, it'd be stupid for those same people to just skip out on it.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Still not sure about the Hub. Think Kait and Del will go on a journey and Marcus and JD handle more the Jin problem and politics.
Marcus his voice actor also said Marcus was gonna be abit more of a father figure in this one and i think Marcus and JD being together only will help that. This is gonna create in some good banter for sure.

Oct 19, 2018
Stealth in Gears eh?

LikelyFantasticBellsnake-size_restricted.gif
If you think about it, enemies always start running once you see them in a zone in prior games. Even when they teach you how to yank and execute a deebee at the beginning of 4, it alerts the entire patrol instead of being a cool stealth kill.

I wont be reading the details that Morgoth posted, but I appreciate him posting that for people who are dying for information haha. Hopefully nothing too spoilery in there...

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I really hope Gears doesnt have stealth hiding in bushes/3 talent trees and tacked on crafting.
The escape mode is exciting though!

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
-gears 5 campaign
-Escape.
So here we go.
Is Escape going to take the place of Horde or will it be a separate game mode?

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Still not sure about the Hub. Think Kait and Del will go on a journey and Marcus and JD handle more the Jin problem and politics.
Marcus his voice actor also said Marcus was gonna be abit more of a father figure in this one and i think Marcus and JD being together only will help that. This is gonna create in some good banter for sure.
I think it'd be cool if we swapped back and forth between Kait/Del and Marcus/JD. Maybe like a 70/30 split. Kait and Del segments would be all new gameplay types. Open(ish) world, open quest system. Stealth. All that jazz. And Marcus/JD segments could be more traditional, linear, cover based shooting. Nice balance of old and new

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Really excited for the conference. Unfortunately however it looks like I won't get a bathroom break given that Crackdown 3 won't be there

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The description for Gears 5 makes it seem like the entire game is from Kait's POV. Interviews seem to be building that narrative too.

Status
Not open for further replies.