• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 38088

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I don't SuikerBrood was saying that Rod sucks or anything, y'all. Just that he shouldn't be in charge of marketing or influencing marketing decisions as much as he seemingly did this time. Just because he's good in leading The Coalition, doesn't mean he's good at all areas involved in the release of a game. Not that MS marketing in general has been great, but still.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Man, that 20by2020 wasn't too far off.
Far as I'm concerned I think its still very much possible. Especially with the substantial increase in PC Game Pass subs, I feel like they will continue to expand both current studios and look to flesh out XGS with more talent. There is still a lot they can do to attract as many people as possible. That Japanese studio being one of them ;)

We do, it just hasn't cleared legal yet. Once that's done and the logo is in place, we'll show it off.

X019 announcement it is then!

Also with Gamepass Ultimate you get the Ultimate edition and 4 days early access.

This really stood out to me, if this is the kind of experiences we'll get with the 1P content it will be amazing as more additions come in.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If you remember my comments over the last 2 years, 16 studios was always the threshold I expressed they need to hit (minimum 4 games / anno are guaranteed with this number basically). I'm very confident they'll reach this sooner than later.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
IMO - In My Opinion.

Also I wasn't being serious. I figured people would disregard his opinion because he works for MS.

He doesn't anymore, he left last year, and now he's at Amazon.

Anyway, what he said might be his opinion, but it's besically also a fact. One only needs to look at the history of devkits for current gen consoles to realize how much those specs can change over time.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
If you remember my comments over the last 2 years, 16 studios was always the threshold I expressed they need to hit (minimum 4 games / anno are guaranteed with this number basically). I'm very confident they'll reach this sooner than later.
I think after the E3, somes studios are going to see the microsoft proposition in a good way. The interview from Booty, and the other people from NT, Obsidian and Double fine should really give a nice confidence to be bought for some ! ( too bad Typhoon didn't get bought, their game look really good ! it look like a nice metroid prime game ! they can be good at doing a Recore game one days !)

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know if I upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate if it will reset the count on how many years I've been a member on Gold? I already had to go through that once when I lost access to my OG gamertag on the original Xbox. Not trying to do that again lol. I remember hearing something about that when GPU first started rolling out.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Does anyone know if I upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate if it will reset the count on how many years I've been a member on Gold? I already had to go through that once when I lost access to my OG gamertag on the original Xbox. Not trying to do that again lol. I remember hearing something about that when GPU first started rolling out.
It won't, I upgraded and have 16 tag still

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
True, but also he's from MS. He isn't gonna say the opposite ;)

That being said, I bet that even if there are gonna be differences, we're not looking at X1-PS4 or Pro-X differences. Which is probably only a good thing. It's time for this nonsense from fanboys to go away.
He is at Amazon now and the fact that he worked at MS doesn't change the point he is making. any reasonable person should know better than to start declaring a winner (based on dev kits specs) this early, The GI editor should know better than to start making claims about TFLOPs this far out from launch.. there will be a lot of revisions and upgrades made to the dev kits long before the final kits are shipped. ... as Penello stated they even shipped out Macs as 360 dev kits before the console was launched.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I think after the E3, somes studios are going to see the microsoft proposition in a good way. The interview from Booty, and the other people from NT, Obsidian and Double fine should really give a nice confidence to be bought for some ! ( too bad Typhoon didn't get bought, their game look really good ! it look like a nice metroid prime game ! they can be good at doing a Recore game one days !)

I've been saying this for a while. I think after Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Compulsion, InXile and now Doublefine start releasing games fully under Xbox, and prove that they're able to keep their culture and their vision and still be successful, some studios that would have never joined Xbox will start to reconsider.

That's part of the reason I expect the acquisition to happen in waves. That and Xbox will need to convince Redmond to give them another 4 billion dollars at some point. Maybe once they've got the track record and a base of proof, they'll be able to court some Japanese developers, and I'll finally get Lost Odyssey 2.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

That's interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they currently have 15 (including Global Publishing). So that means there may be another announcement at X019?

I wonder where else they would want talent. Platformers, Strategy games and Cinematic action would be areas I would be looking,

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
He doesn't work for MS, he really doesn't have to say anything lol.
He is at Amazon now and the fact that he worked at MS doesn't change the point he is making. any reasonable person should know better than to start declaring a winner (based on dev kits specs) this early, The GI editor should know better than to start making claims about TFLOPs this far out from launch.. there will be a lot of revisions and upgrades made to the dev kits long before the final kits are shipped. ... as Penello stated they even shipped out Macs as 360 dev kits before the console was launched.

Wait wait, Albert isn't at MS anymore? Either I'm getting old, or I just missed that news.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I think they could be targeting Bloober

Bloober could be cool, and I'd like to see a well supported horror studio with creative freedom and deep pockets.

I'd be surprised if they grabbed any studios outside of their comfort zone though, geographically, before they'd solidified the market they have. Asia and Europe feel like the frontier for the next-gen acquisition spree.

Hubi

Nov 13, 2017
Bloober could be cool, and I'd like to see a well supported horror studio with creative freedom and deep pockets.

I'd be surprised if they grabbed any studios outside of their comfort zone though, geographically, before they'd solidified the market they have. Asia and Europe feel like the frontier for the next-gen acquisition spree.
Yeah, the comfort zone is a huge hindrance. But MS has to know that theses zones limiting themselves. Europen and Asian Studios would definetly help to get more support in Europe/Asia

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I've been saying this for a while. I think after Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Compulsion, InXile and now Doublefine start releasing games fully under Xbox, and prove that they're able to keep their culture and their vision and still be successful, some studios that would have never joined Xbox will start to reconsider.

That's part of the reason I expect the acquisition to happen in waves. That and Xbox will need to convince Redmond to give them another 4 billion dollars at some point. Maybe once they've got the track record and a base of proof, they'll be able to court some Japanese developers, and I'll finally get Lost Odyssey 2.

Playing that long game :D

Oct 27, 2017
The World

I think Reiner is just saying what he has heard and nobody has come out of E3 saying they heard developers say that Scarlett was more powerful. No need for people to attach Reiner for what he is saying, no need to take it at face value either. He has also literally doubled and tripled down on his tweet so it's not like he just decided to say it for the hell of it.

Of course, it could be something as simple as PS5 having more GPU power but Scarlett having a better RT chip. DF has already said do not expect anything more than 9 TF (equivalent to 12 TF today) based on Zen2/Navi reveals.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I see XGS branding going well ;)

D9SejQ8XUAAHoTO

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Yeah, the comfort zone is a huge hindrance. But MS has to know that theses zones limiting themselves. Europen and Asian Studios would definetly help to get more support in Europe/Asia

Yeah absolutely, I think though this gen has been such a gut check for Xbox. They are definitely braver and they definitely have a lot more support from Satya than they did a few years ago, but they still have work to do. Developer communities and fans will need to see proof that they've changed and aren't just gonna gut these studios, and Redmond needs proof that these acquisition are profitable.

Playing that long game :D

Never give up hope. Without hope, what do we have?

Apr 6, 2018
from a theorical point of view we are closer to that number, but there are some ambiguities.
1) minecfrat umbrella for mojang in sweden and the minecraft team in redmond, both of those are huge and create tons of material, even if for just one game(but that game clearly desrves it)
2) turn10 a pgg#1 are clearly fast and efficient
3) Global Publishing
4) spin offs made by external studios(343, turn10 and now TC and Rare all recurred to external developers for new games, we cannot rule out they will do again)
5) inxile new orleans and pgg#2 and NT, Obsidian and Rare working on several projects at the same time.
6) you were right about the RTS team, so what's happening with the new japan openings

Still it will be epic for gamepass and the gaas approach because now each team could wait for years of post launch support

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Didn't Schafer specifically mention that Obsidian and Ninja Theory being acquired gave him the push to reach out to Microsoft?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about how these studios can benefit from each other, particularly the smaller ones. I know from the interviews they have regular meetings and also visit each other.

For example looking at Undead Labs, which is arguably one of the smaller, less capable studios they have. They could pool resource with quite a few of the other teams to improve their next project substantially.

Driving mechanics - Turn 10/Playground Games
Storytelling - Obsidian/InXile
Animation - Coalition/343i
Level design - Ninja Theory
Online - Azure/MS AI

Just thinking about it, makes me wonder that these smaller studios have some serious potential in the future if they are managed correctly.

Deleted member 53021

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
I've been thinking about how these studios can benefit from each other, particularly the smaller ones. I know from the interviews they have regular meetings and also visit each other.

For example looking at Undead Labs, which is arguably one of the smaller, less capable studios they have. They could pool resource with quite a few of the other teams to improve their next project substantially.

Driving mechanics - Turn 10/Playground Games
Storytelling - Obsidian/InXile
Animation - Coalition/343i
Level design - Ninja Theory
Online - Azure/MS AI

Just thinking about it, makes me wonder that these smaller studios have some serious potential in the future if they are managed correctly.
phil said in that xbox on interview that he himself felt great seeing all the studio heads collaborate and share ideas....the obsidian leader feargus also said he would like to work with Undead labs because he likes what they did with their zombie world.....i think its exciting seeing all this and will further strengthen all studios

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
The PS5 is more powerful than Anaconda pushing is pretty crazy here, a same rumors comes with not very meaningful tweets likely because what Booty said in few days ago.
Man few months ago it was still power doesn't matter, now it seems very matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.