• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
It had been months, maybe even a year or longer ago that me and my friends played Gears 4 Horde. Well, this evening it was like the good old days again. It was awesome. I've always loved Horde. Even if we didn't manage to finish wave 50 on freaking casual too.... I have to admit that we had a real hard time,lol.

I really wonder what TC is planning on doing for Horde and perhaps new modes like that for Gears 5.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
It had been months, maybe even a year or longer ago that me and my friends played Gears 4 Horde. Well, this evening it was like the good old days again. It was awesome. I've always loved Horde. Even if we didn't manage to finish wave 50 on freaking casual too.... I have to admit that we had a real hard time,lol.

I really wonder what TC is planning on doing for Horde and perhaps new modes like that for Gears 5.

I will always love horde mode.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
About the Crackdown debate: I think we're looking at a State of Decay situation. 6.5 game that will resonate with the fans of the original, improve on the original while masses won't understand why fans like it. I'm ok with this. Phil seemed ok with it too judging by his last interview. He said it was for Crackdown fans and that non Crackdown fans won't be converted.
yeah, that's what I'm expecting.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The gameplay synopsis of Typhoon's Journey to the Savage Planet sounds boring af:
players are tasked with exploring, cataloging alien flora and fauna and determining if the planet is fit for human habitation.
It sounds like The Martian but without the part where Matt Damon gets stranded and things get exciting.

But I assume there is more to this game than that. The trailer is certainly intriguing, hopefully we'll finally see some gameplay on Inside Xbox.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
The gameplay synopsis of Typhoon's Journey to the Savage Planet sounds boring af:

It sounds like The Martian but without the part where Matt Damon gets stranded and things get exciting.

But I assume there is more to this game than that. The trailer is certainly intriguing, hopefully we'll finally see some gameplay on Inside Xbox.
The trailer had a lot of personality to it.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018

Reminds me of Unknown Worlds Entertainment's Subnautica, which is a great game. Unknown Worlds is owned by Perfect World so the studio not for sale I guess. Typhoon's Journey to the Savage Planet sounds like a portfolio game to me, in the sense that it looks pretty good but not very original.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It kind of makes way more sense to me to let a studio form on it's own, let them figure out their studio culture, and see if they can get into production okay, then acquire them, than it does to found a bunch of studios from the ground up in the same time frame. I'm not sure if that's the strategy here, as Microsoft seems to be making acquisitions based on unannounced projects that they see and like, but it sounds smart to my not-smart brain.

At the very least, it makes sense in this specific scenario. Instead of building from the ground up and having one game ready 6 years from now, you acquire a freshly minted studio that already took are of the all the administrative stuff and can hit the ground running after a smaller hiring spree.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

Idk about a game, but the book is way better than the movie

Oct 25, 2017
Strategic Partnership Manager (Xbox) - Tokyo, Japan
"Strategic Partnership Manager" for Game Publishers in Asian Region

Global Gaming Partnerships & Development team seeks a senior level Strategic Partnership Manager (SPM) for game publishing/development partners in Asian region, focusing mainly on Korea. Our key mission is to evangelize Microsoft's Gaming Vision and Initiatives and to create Win-Win relationships with our gaming partners. This would include acquiring, supporting and releasing premium gaming contents from our partners onto Microsoft platforms such as Xbox One and Windows 10 devices, and establishing new partnerships on new gaming initiatives such streaming game and new subscription services. In this role, SPM will act as the primary point of contact for business with our gaming partners. Also, working closely with other members of GGPD & other internal MS teams, SPM will work as a member of GGPD global team to produce maximum impacts in global market for both our partners and Microsoft.

* This position is based in Tokyo, Japan and will require frequent traveling to Asian countries as well as to USA.

https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/575964/Strategic-Partnership-Manager-Xbox

Oct 25, 2017

That's.. that's actually pretty cool. I was not interested in the game before, but i'll a keep an eye on it now! Thanks :P

Yeah that bolded seems pretty crazy

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Alright I got some kind of crazy-ass conspirancy theory: Could they be teasing this interactions between Scorpion, Rico and Doomguy because they're going to add Just Cause 4, MK11 and DOOM Eternal at one point?

Probably not, probably more a reference to the fact that Just Cause 3, Doom, and Mortal Kombat X are all currently on Gamepass. The Scorpion joke was even in the last one of these email screenshot teases they did

Oct 25, 2017
btw that linkedin thing from Compulsion

2018 was definitely an exciting year as we also joined the Xbox family; we are really thrilled to become a Microsoft studio. We'll be working on our new IP for the coming years so do not hesitate to contact us if you want to be part of the adventure.

Not that it wasn't obvious, but i recall some posters wanting more We Happy Few so just a heads up

personally: thank god, we happy few sucked

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

Not that it wasn't obvious, but i recall some posters wanting more We Happy Few so just a heads up

https://compulsiongames.com/en/news/186/new-year-update-xbox-one-patch-announcement-and-dlc-news!

They are also still working on We Happy Few, they've got 3 DLC in the pipe plus the sandbox mode. Hard to say what the split is though who's working on what. DLC doesn't always require all hands, but neither does pre-production on a new IP. I'd imagine the new IP team right now is the small one, but as We Happy Few content finishes up it will grow bit by bit.

Oct 25, 2017
https://compulsiongames.com/en/news/186/new-year-update-xbox-one-patch-announcement-and-dlc-news!

They are also still working on We Happy Few, they've got 3 DLC in the pipe plus the sandbox mode. Hard to say what the split is though who's working on what. DLC doesn't always require all hands, but neither does pre-production on a new IP. I'd imagine the new IP team right now is the small one, but as We Happy Few content finishes up it will grow bit by bit.

yeah, i mean after the DLC. They are a 2 teams studio :P

what i meant with more We Happy Few is, like, a sequel

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019

Could not agree more. Just forced myself to finish we happy few and man that game has so many issues I'm not sure where to begin. Contrast was a way better game than WHF.

The only positives I'd say it had its an interesting setting, some cool art style, and that's about it. The game systems were confusing and never really explained, combat was horrible, missions were repetitive, etc...

I hope for their next game they simplify and focus on a smaller experience

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
The problem with marketing games too early is that people are already tired of the game before it launches.
Is this actually true tho? I know people will complain about it but I don't ever recall a games sales suffering because of this. Infact quite the opposite...The community will complain the game is overexposed and then go on to sale 5 million copies first week (obvious over exaggeration)

Aug 23, 2018
Could not agree more. Just forced myself to finish we happy few and man that game has so many issues I'm not sure where to begin. Contrast was a way better game than WHF.

The only positives I'd say it had its an interesting setting, some cool art style, and that's about it. The game systems were confusing and never really explained, combat was horrible, missions were repetitive, etc...

I hope for their next game they simplify and focus on a smaller experience

I actually just played it this past weekend thanks to GamePass and was pleasantly surprised. I sunk about 6-8 hours into it and am enjoying it for the story. The systems are confusing and poorly explained, but I found a few helpful guides online that gave helpful tips on some of the gameplay loops.

But the story and the personality/charm is what makes it. It flows over into the menu system and UI, too.

I dunno, given the resources and the unconventional development cycle (you can see the rememants of the survival early access game) this game could've been something really special with a Bioshock or Dishonored budget and team size.

Many on this thread have said Compulsion could be their dark horse acquisition, and I can see why

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
Typhoon are the first acquisition of 2019.

Assuming the announcement is made on the 5th

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

I feel like Compulsion is the studio that is furthest away from releasing a Xbox/PC exclusive. I'm on the fence about more We Happy Few or starting on something else from scratch. I really like the style in this trailer:

There's potential there, but it sounds like the scope of the game got away from them. Making a new game with the right vision from the get-go would probably go a long way, as would cutting out some of the bloat (perks, crafting, multiple storylines) and just focusing on tightening up the gameplay and level design while maintaining the unique art style; the same approach Arkane took with Dishonored.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
For marketing Ori, I demand Microsoft pair up with Oreo. Have special edition "Ori-o's" that give gamepass trials.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how many years it will be before Microsoft has some kind of ensemble game with all their main characters/franchises represented.
A kart racer is probably most likely

Razdek

Oct 27, 2017
We Happy Few was such a disappointment and Compulsion should just move on from it. All they had to do was do what Bioshock did as they have a compelling world but the survival mechanics grind it to a halt.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
What did Bioshock do that was very groundbreaking? Not insulting, just never played it before. Was it the atmosphere, gameplay, story?

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
giphy.gif

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What did Bioshock do that was very groundbreaking? Not insulting, just never played it before. Was it the atmosphere, gameplay, story?

Definitely the story and atmosphere. Not that it was the first piece of media to do those things, but Bioshock kind of came out of nowhere and was such a big and influential hit. It also turned the Immersive Sim genre, something that's kind of niche, into something that was suitable for mass market consumption.

I don't personally care for it all that much, Bioshock 1 is actually my least favorite of the trilogy, but I've never seen so many people with so many different tastes and preferences all just kind of find what should have been honestly kind of a niche game so agreeable. It's also kind of become a metric on it's own right to sell other games, whether by press or fans. "It looks like Bioshock" is something I've heard and seen a lot of within the last 2 generations, and it's always exclusively been used in a positive fashion.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
We Happy Few was such a disappointment and Compulsion should just move on from it. All they had to do was do what Bioshock did as they have a compelling world but the survival mechanics grind it to a halt.

Needs to be reiterated...what WHF turned out to be was made in short time by a small team. They scrapped the previous version of the game. You can see the talent for art and storytelling there. Just sucks to have a really long load time with no animation of opening a door to go from one room to the next. Those types of things can be rectified with a bigger team. Compulsion also needs a more established person to work on the combat.

I agree with those that say they should leave the IP alone. Interested to see what they can do next with a bigger team. Start fresh.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Hopefully they move away from requiring players to grind classes in order to maximize their effectiveness. It was much better when you could come as you are and your effectiveness be based on your skills as a player and not on attributes obtained by grinding and lootboxes.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Jonathan Rowe, former art director at Playground, is now the VP of Art at Splash Damage according to his Twitter: https://twitter.com/_jonathanrowe

According to his LinkedIn he last worked on an unannounced project at Playground.

I have a feeling 2019 is going to be a great year for Splash Damage!

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Jonathan Rowe, former art director at Playground, is now the VP of Art at Splash Damage according to his Twitter: https://twitter.com/_jonathanrowe

According to his LinkedIn he last worked on an unannounced project at Playground.

I have a feeling 2019 is going to be a great year for Splash Damage!

I think they're working (helping?) on Gears: Tactics and recently went on a hiring spree. I think they're helping with Gears 5 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.