Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Man.....
You are getting me excited. I am beyond curious what kind of game they are making.

If Lucky, we can get our Ninja Gaiden game we all wanted with another name.
Isn't Ninja Garden absurdly difficult? I very much do not want a game that is going to give me an aneurysm. As long as there are difficulty settings I'll be down.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a Kingdom Hearts inspired game where Conker is going through different dimensions, and interacting with characters of those worlds. Halo world, Gears world, Fable world, Minecraft, etc. But unlike KH, the gameplay changes with each world.

I like this idea a lot. Too bad itll never happen, but still love it.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
My idea for a new Conker game is kinda weird.

I want something that sticks to the BFD style of platforming and occasional setpiece-based gameplay mixups and is full of movie references.

But I want the artstyle to ape claymation to an almost uncanny degree. I'd call it Clay Conker or something. Not a very original idea I know, but I think it could turn some heads.

Dec 31, 2017
Haha
Not anymore.

NG pales in comparison to Bloodborne, Souls etc.

I didn't mean the challenge. I meant more like the theme of the game.
I miss Ninja Gaiden so much! The Souls games don't do it for me, they are too slow, it doesn't compare to the fast paced action and extremely high difficulty of Ninja Gaiden, and I really like the setting of the Gaiden games. Really wish MS would hire Tomonobu Itagaki and get the rights to Ninja Gaiden from Tecmo for an exclusive on Anaconda. I miss that guy, such a great character. Those were the days! There was so much japanese support back then, never understood why Tecmo had such good support for the Xbox, same goes for Sega.

Was nice if it'd go back to those days. That's the gen that sold me on Xbox and made me a fan ever since!

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
In the last OT someone started talking about an episodic Conker series where every game was a different style or a parody, I still haven't stopped thinking about that.

God of Squirrel, Red Tail Redemption, Fort Nuts, Fur-za Horizon.

Can we get do a rotating series where they invite indie devs to do whatever they want with Conker? Or just like a huge Conker themed game jam?

I love that idea and I really like the idea of using different themes like you mention here.

Maybe a Kingdom Hearts inspired game where Conker is going through different dimensions, and interacting with characters of those worlds. Halo world, Gears world, Fable world, Minecraft, etc. But unlike KH, the gameplay changes with each world.

Yeah, I love it. It's similar to what knightmawk mentioned and I could see it being a hit among fans if handled right. The question is, what developer should MS use to make this?

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
I miss Ninja Gaiden so much! The Souls games don't do it for me, they are too slow, it doesn't compare to the fast paced action and extremely high difficulty of Ninja Gaiden, and I really like the setting of the Gaiden games. Really wish MS would hire Tomonobu Itagaki and get the rights to Ninja Gaiden from Tecmo for an exclusive on Anaconda. I miss that guy, such a great character. Those were the days! There was so much japanese support back then, never understood why Tecmo had such good support for the Xbox, same goes for Sega.

Was nice if it'd go back to those days. That's the gen that sold me on Xbox and made me a fan ever since!
Microsoft and Sega already had an small little partnership in the 90s, as Windows was part of the Dreamcast OS. Why they made Xbox exclusives I'm not too sure. I originally thought it was a partnership but can't find anything to back it up. Although Sega did want the Xbox to be backwards compatible with Dreamcast games.

My theory is that those discussions, plus the architecture of Xbox being similar to PCs with x86, lead to development being easier for Dreamcast ports like Shenmue, and games originally being created for the Dreamcast. Similar to how some of the Star Wars games were exclusives because the other consoles couldn't handle them, at least not without major revamps.

Ninja Gaiden was exclusive because Itagaki was impressed with the hardware of the Xbox, and it's dev kits.

Unfortunately Sega hasn't been the same since being bought by Sammy, and Tecmo after merging with Koei.

Yeah, I love it. It's similar to what knightmawk mentioned and I could see it being a hit among fans if handled right. The question is, what developer should MS use to make this?
Seems like something Rare themselves should do. It'd fit Craig Duncan's views of not reviving an IP unless they had something new they could do with it. Maybe Playful, although it might be too ambitious for a smaller studio.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
ZhugeEX said he knows that one studio gonna reveal their game, that doesn't mean he's sure only one game gonna be announced.

Didn't Phil said in the last podcast he plays the last game of Rare? As for E3, they're still building the conference and talking about how much far project they're gonna show.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
About Jez's post on Twitter about Ninja theory. I think Phil said we will see them in 2019. So it's not news really. But I am sure he has heard something. Very excited indeed.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
ZhugeEX said he knows that one studio gonna reveal their game, that doesn't mean he's sure only one game gonna be announced.

Didn't Phil said in the last podcast he plays the last game of Rare? As for E3, they're still building the conference and talking about how much far project they're gonna show.
There's also MSGP. I wonder what they've been doing since most of their games have now shipped (and Crackdown 3 is a few weeks away).

Perhaps they'll be the ones most represented at launch of the next Xbox and will go quiet for the rest of Gen 8.

To me they are the biggest wildcard, and have the most potential to deliver a sequel to a beloved Xbox franchise while the other studios work on new IPs and the big 3.
You think ninja gaiden on Master ninja is easier than dark souls?
uh not sure about that one
I don't think they're talking about difficulty, but stuff like art design, story, lore etc. As awesome as NG is, it's silly as fuck.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
9MS SHOULDNT invest into Japanese studios (at least not in the near future)

Get their Western third party to snuff first, take back territories like the US and UK, make Sony's lead somwhat smaller in Continental Europe, THEN consider Japan, after all of that. It should be like their lowest priority. Tales of Vesperia just came out to 8% split for Xbox in UK. even though the original was exclusive to Xbox.

People are talking about what THEY want, not what would be the best for the xbox division.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
9MS SHOULDNT invest into Japanese studios (at least not in the near future)

Get their Western third party to snuff first, take back territories like the US and UK, make Sony's lead somwhat smaller in Continental Europe, THEN consider Japan, after all of that. It should be like their lowest priority. Tales of Vesperia just came out to 8% split for Xbox in UK. even though the original was exclusive to Xbox.

People are talking about what THEY want, not what would be the best for the xbox division.

This logic is faulty and part of why MS has no foothold in those markets.

The reason the percentages are that low for a game like Vesperia isn't due to disinterest by gamers on the XB1, it's that gamers are multiple platform holders who now use their PS4/Switch and PC as the go-to platforms for RPG's after avoiding MS due to the original rollout all those years ago and that's in keeping in mind that Japanese based platforms like the PS4 and Switch are used by most gamers as the default for Japanese games to begin with.

You don't strengthen your weakness by avoiding it until another time and MS can't afford to continue avoiding Japanese developers for exclusives or at least marketing deals anymore. It's just unwise.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018

The reason the percentages are that low for a game like Vesperia isn't due to disinterest by gamers on the XB1, it's that gamers are multiple platform holders who now use their PS4/Switch and PC as the go-to platforms for RPG's after avoiding MS due to the original rollout all those years ago and that's in keeping in mind that Japanese based platforms like the PS4 and Switch are used by most gamers as the default for Japanese games to begin with.

You don't strengthen your weakness by avoiding it until another time and MS can't afford to continue avoiding Japanese developers for exclusives or at least marketing deals anymore. It's just unwise.
Exactly. Their position wouldn't nearly been as bad as now if they continued support. It takes time to build, and they pulled out too early. It's something they should have kept pumping money into as a long term investment. All waiting will do is make the situation worse and because they delayed the long term investment, it will make it even longer for the investment to show fruition. I'm sure xCloud support will help immensely with the investment.

Also, Tales of Vesperia was in the 20's for digital sales (US). I'm sure it didn't sell as much as it did on the Switch or PS4 (I know many that switched to PS4 because of no X support or just because of the FPS), but I'm sure it did fine. On the physical sales side, I really have to wonder if a lot of issues come down to how many Japanese Publishers seem to supply stores with many times less Xbox One versions over PS4 versions. One member mentioned how his store got 24 copies of RE2 for the PS4, but only 3 for the Xbox One.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

I totally agree with this.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I still think this forum is overstating the effect of Japanese games on the overall perception or impact of the brand. I believe past Xbox bosses' reflections that they spent too much time trying to win over Japan when they should have been focusing on their strengths remains very applicable. Sure, quintessentially Japanese games are starting to really gain footholds in the West. But.. that doesn't mean the average Japanese game/dev ever makes much of a splash. (I also notice the focus of my Japan-focused pessimism keeps shifting, because I deep down still really want MS to go big in Japan/Asia. Anyway.)

Investment in Japan has to be targeted. That could be targeting a specific portfolio of games from known developers to make exclusive to Xbox. Or, it could be making a larger acquisition of an established group that can handle overall management and infrastructure and strategy for the region. But, I honestly don't see why either of these strategies should be a priority, though.

I'd much rather they spend the money (business, marketing, AND dev support - since most Japanese devs don't regularly work on Xbox) on bringing over franchises that traditionally skip Xbox. Not to steal them from Sony or Nintendo, but just to show that there is a legitimate business case to work with and release on Xbox. If and only if that is established will Japan come willingly. And fortunately for everyone, you don't have to spend a ton of money on owning the dev or buying the exclusives in order to prove that. Target several smaller games at a variety of devs, work closely with them, market the games heavily with game pass, and tout that success.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I wonder too if they'll ever be "super strong in the west" (aside of USA & UK) without a better japanese games support

Stranger things have happened so we never know but if they ever truly want to compete with Sony, they can't keep giving up ground on Japanese titles as they have more or less become an exclusive second party arm of the Playstation.

I agree they probably need to. But I'm telling you they won't.

At most, Microsoft will either moneyhat or "partner" with a studio on something a la Sunset Overdrive/Ryse/Dead Rising 3/Titanfall etc.

If they couldn't invest in a studio to make their first party titles I'd be fine with them partnering up with them to make whatever game exclusive provided it's a day one release for XGP as well but Phil has said he dislikes moneyhatting so that likely wont happen any time soon.

Exactly. Their position wouldn't nearly been as bad as now if they continued support. It takes time to build, and they pulled out too early. It's something they should have kept pumping money into as a long term investment. All waiting will do is make the situation worse and because they delayed the long term investment, it will make it even longer for the investment to show fruition. I'm sure xCloud support will help immensely with the investment.

Also, Tales of Vesperia was in the 20's for digital sales (US). I'm sure it didn't sell as much as it did on the Switch or PS4 (I know many that switched to PS4 because of no X support or just because of the FPS), but I'm sure it did fine. On the physical sales side, I really have to wonder if a lot of issues come down to how many Japanese Publishers seem to supply stores with many times less Xbox One versions over PS4 versions. One member mentioned how his store got 24 copies of RE2 for the PS4, but only 3 for the Xbox One.

Agreed. I definitely believe xCloud will help tremendously in a lot of countries for MS, Japan being one based on them being big on mobile but that then goes back to MS needing games that appeal to that base, which most assuredly includes RPG's and Japanese created games.

Jan 20, 2019

I think Sekiro will fix that.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The west buys Japanese games. Invest in games, wherever they are from. Diversifying types of studio cultures and locations can't hurt.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So MS is really gonna wait to start the marketing of CD3 until its the 5th of February?
Bit late.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 3 is being sent out to die.

Hopefully Staten picks a better project to work on next.

Let my man work the folks at Yager to reboot Crimson Skies.

Or write a Halo RPG.

Or work on a new IP altogether.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Crackdown 3 is going to be that one game everyone tries out when they've blown through the rest of GP. It'll find some resurgence in June or July during a slow month.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
So MS is really gonna wait to start the marketing of CD3 until its the 5th of February?
Bit late.
It is, but at the same time we've had a lot of news this past week and upcoming that could have overshadowed it. RE2, KH3, Anthem beta.

What's the real difference between advertising a well known game a month before launch, and a few weeks?

I'm sure it'll do fine. It's the closest thing I have to a Mercenaries 3. Not too many "blow crap up and have fun" games nowadays.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Crackdown 3 is being sent out to die.

Hopefully Staten picks a better project to work on next.

Let my man work the folks at Yager to reboot Crimson Skies.

Or write a Halo RPG.

Or work on a new IP altogether.

I don't think the game shows very well in video anyway. Crackdown is going to live and die by word of mouth and people booting it up of their friends list. That only works if it's a good experience but it might be.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how difficult it was to apparently get the cloud stuff working, I find it remarkable that there hasn't been a beta for CD3. And not in a good way.

Jan 4, 2018
Stranger things have happened so we never know but if they ever truly want to compete with Sony, they can't keep giving up ground on Japanese titles as they have more or less become an exclusive second party arm of the Playstation.
Yup, it's in my opinion a perception problem (though that doesn't mean it's not important as how a platform is perceived can sway a prospective buyer's decision) in that the lack of games that release on other platforms (Nioh, Ni No Kuni 2, Yakuza, Dragon Quest, Ys...) makes Xbox's game catalogue seem incomplete. As if choosing an Xbox will only allow you to access half the potential games you could enjoy with another system. Don't care if you end up buying all, 1 or none of 'em. The problem is not having the option

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
The only Crackdown we're going to see is the FBI arresting Phil Spencer for illegally possessing "Agility Orbs", or whatever the kids are calling them these days.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I still think this forum is overstating the effect of Japanese games on the overall perception or impact of the brand. I believe past Xbox bosses' reflections that they spent too much time trying to win over Japan when they should have been focusing on their strengths remains very applicable. Sure, quintessentially Japanese games are starting to really gain footholds in the West. But.. that doesn't mean the average Japanese game/dev ever makes much of a splash. (I also notice the focus of my Japan-focused pessimism keeps shifting, because I deep down still really want MS to go big in Japan/Asia. Anyway.)

Investment in Japan has to be targeted. That could be targeting a specific portfolio of games from known developers to make exclusive to Xbox. Or, it could be making a larger acquisition of an established group that can handle overall management and infrastructure and strategy for the region. But, I honestly don't see why either of these strategies should be a priority, though.

I'd much rather they spend the money (business, marketing, AND dev support - since most Japanese devs don't regularly work on Xbox) on bringing over franchises that traditionally skip Xbox. Not to steal them from Sony or Nintendo, but just to show that there is a legitimate business case to work with and release on Xbox. If and only if that is established will Japan come willingly. And fortunately for everyone, you don't have to spend a ton of money on owning the dev or buying the exclusives in order to prove that. Target several smaller games at a variety of devs, work closely with them, market the games heavily with game pass, and tout that success.
I agree with pretty much everything you are saying here. Money could be better spent simply making sure there is game-parity in the Asian market instead of building up an entire hub there. That would be the most expensive 'dev hub' they could make because there isn't even a single studio there now to start a base and the historical problem the brand has there. I would agree that they need to invest in game-parity and fostering relationships but they should be buying studios elsewhere.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Yup, it's in my opinion a perception problem (though that doesn't mean it's not important as how a platform is perceived can sway a prospective buyer's decision) in that the lack of games that release on other platforms (Nioh, Ni No Kuni 2, Yakuza, Dragon Quest, Ys...) makes Xbox's game catalogue seem incomplete. As if choosing an Xbox will only allow you to access half the potential games you could enjoy with another system. Don't care if you end up buying all, 1 or none of 'em. The problem is not having the option

Yep. All facts.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

True words. OG Xbox and games like NG is still the reason why I jumped on the Xbox brand. I know MS can truly do something special if they think the same way they used to do.
As for the relationship with Itagaki, one of head guys of Xbox back then (I think it was J. Allard or Seamus) was close friends with him. I believe he even had a home in Japan. Many constant flights to Japan ensure great Japanese support for the Xbox.

That is what Spencer is trying to recreate now.

You think ninja gaiden on Master ninja is easier than dark souls?
uh not sure about that one

Hell no. Master is ridiculous lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.