• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vote on your preferred title choice below:

• The Cult of Phil in the Age of Booty

• Here Comes Xbox 5

• A Scorpio and an Anaconda in a bar …

• Phil the Future

• Phil’s Panic Room

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Your software needs to be available anywhere your users are has been a positive trend in the tech industry for a while, it was inevitable that video games would join that eventually.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Release MCC on Steam in 2019. Get people signed up for Xbox Live. (They get a community on XBox Live for Halo, they get used to Xbox achievements, etc.)

Then, 1 year later, releaes Halo Infinite on Windows 10 with Game Pass. Meanwhile the store has improved and people will play the game via the Game Pass sub.

That's how you get engagement.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
The film industry and the game industry market are different....there are no Big 3 that control the Market....
Mm... I'd argue that Disney, Warner Bros, 20th Century Fox, and Universal almost essentially own the movie industry.
Not to mention Disney is buying out 20th Century Fox, so that'll get potentially chaotic.

Sure, you have smaller companies like Lionsgate, MGM, SONY, and such, but they aren't making the money that Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, Disney Animation, Fast & Furious, Jurassic Park, Avatar, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc. is.

lol i forgot about that
I think Moon did too. :P lol

Edited for cleaner/easier to read.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
Might be a big deal to third parties who want to go down other routes for streaming (ie we know EA is working on their own streaming solution, Ubisoft is partnering with Google etc)
Stream just a delivery method, itself is not a service I think, so it's not really a conflict.

I mean I can see the EA game you purchased from XBOX store will stream via Xcloud, but if you subscribe EA access, you will stream it from EA's stream.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, all im hoping for with Xbox 4 is that it's no more than $500, has a blu ray disc drive as im a physical disc guy and they have exclusives that I actually want to buy and play. Microsoft/Spencer does that and im good.

Right now, im expecting Halo Infinite to be a launch title for Xbox 4 and if Sony forces CDPR to censor Cyberpunk 2077 for PlayStation 5 but Microsoft doesn't, then Xbox 4 has a great chance to be my primary console for next gen.

It's basically all a wait and see but first things first, plenty of games left for this generation over the next 20 months or so that im super hyped for and looking forward to playing.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
I can understand this. But this is definitely not "providing choices" like MS says.What you say here basically means: MS already decided what offering they will bring to each market. Some markets they will cover with xcloud, some with consoles and some with PC. It's not what "providing choices" means.

As an individual you do have all those options to access xbox platform regardless of where you are, just because of a certain option is less popular than another, it doesn't mean it's not available.

They seem to not care that those people who chose their console get less and less support. Their position is basically "just get a PC, you can still access our services there". It's not about providing choices.

they are at the moment working on getting more 1st party games on xbox platform, as well as increase value for the game pass, which of these things the console gamers are missing out?

Your complaint is sound like by expanding their ecosystem to PC, it dimish the reason for people with a gaming PC to buy xbox console, but isn't that the whole point? that the people already have a piece of hardware capable to run Xbox games don't have to buy another hardware, that they can jump into the ecosystem right in.

Also, expand xbox ecosystem to more hardware is not equal to treating console games less, this is such an zero-sum mentality, a bigger xbox ecosystem/community is absolutely beneficial for everyone on xbox, regardless which hardware they are on, it would lead to more games and more robust service.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
The film industry and the game industry market are different....there are no Big 3 that control the Market....
the film industry is very much controlled by a handful companies. Disney accounted for a third of the total revenue of the film industry in 2018. They just bought out the entertainment side of fox. Leaving fox with just news networks. Then you have Sony, time warner and Comcast fighting over the scraps

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Stream just a delivery method, itself is not a service I think, so it's not really a conflict.

I mean I can see the EA game you purchased from XBOX store will stream via Xcloud, but if you subscribe EA access, you will stream it from EA's stream.
And EA might instead want EA's service to be the only option to stream EA games from.

Slowsonic

Feb 25, 2018
And EA might instead want EA's service to be the only option to stream EA games from.
Unless EA make the ability to streaming itself a paid service, but I think these publishers are pursuing a streaming future because so they can reach more audience without having to deal with the heavy lifting of porting them to different hardware, not to directly earn money from it . but if they still have to build and sale the game for an xbox hardware, they won't care if they have the ability to stream from there.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Unless EA make the ability to streaming itself a paid service, but I think these publishers are pursuing a streaming future because so they can reach more audience without having to deal with the heavy lifting of porting them to different hardware, not to directly earn money from it . but if they still have to build and sale the game for an xbox hardware, they won't care if they have the ability to stream from there.
I think you've got this backward. They can reach more people through streaming, so if they have their own backend, why would they want to be forced to use Microsoft's (and give Microsoft a portion of the revenue).

Edit: they may want to use Xcloud, but I'd guess that they'd want to negotiate that, not to be forced to do it in order to do any kind of Xbox release.

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
At the end of the day all Microsoft cares about is gamers playing Xbox games on an Xbox ecosystem... Rather that be through the premium Xbox Consoles for the best results or through gamepass or Xcloud... MS is getting the cash and vastly expanding their consumer base for the Xbox Ecosystem. Not exactly 3p... but not exclusive either. They aren't putting their games on other systems in their prespective... They look at it as putting their paid service (apps) on other devices. Whether gamers like it or not this will be the future of gaming... Could you imagine MS putting XCloud on SMART televisions? The amount of potential customers explodes... At the end of the Day I just want to play great games. I am not exclusive to any company and love the path Xbox is trying to open up.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Very curious to see how Halo does on PC sales wise. I imagine it'll be huge...
300k-500k peak current users, 8 million copies in its first year, calling it now.

Halo and the MasterChief are Pop culture icons, MasterChief is known by everyone, Halo is like Pokemon or Smash, everyone knows about it and wants to play it, but only a few can (until now)

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where does this come from?

Sony had Capcom sensor some of the nudity in Devil May Cry 5 by putting a white glare over certain areas of the naked woman so since Cyberpunk 2077 is going to have a lot of nudity, I wouldn't be surprised if CDPR is asked to sensor some stuff. Hoping they don't and hoping Sony eliminates this new recent policy but just in case it does, I would go with Xbox 4 to play Cyberpunk 2077 since im expecting it to be a cross-gen game and next gen launch title.

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is making a lot of smart decisions to put Halo in the spotlight again, if it all works out and if Infinite ends up actually being good, i can see the franchise becoming massive again.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like we are overestimating how many people have steam but not xbox and want to play halo.
Ill be impressed if they sell 1.5million

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
If what matters is how many people play your games then, I repeat, you may as well go third party. Release them on PS4 and switch and you will have tons of users playing your games.

I think the number of people who will give up a Xbox console for a PC are pretty slim. The big barriers that separate PC from console still exist - more complex to set up, higher initial cost, simplicity, not having to upgrade, etc.

Maybe you lose a small percentage of console buyers, but you factor in all the revenue gained on a new platform. Microsoft has no doubt run these projections a million times over and feels this is the best path. That best path will also hopefully mean more games of hopefully higher quality on your Xbox console.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Little news most missed: Gamebar on Windows 10 now displays Xbox Controller battery percentage.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
There's a chance Halo does return to Halo 3 days. If Infinite knocks it out of the park, between being on Game Pass, expanding to PC and working across generations, it could generate some incredible momentum and mindshare. Hope Microsoft continues with the Steam support for Infinite because I think we could be looking at pretty insane numbers for adoption of a paid game. Looking forward to seeing what a huge PC base could do with next gen Forge. As a console gamer who will only play with a controller in Halo, really excited about seeing community and energy return to the Halo IP as a result of reaching out to Steam gamers.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
People are too much focused on actual boxes. The ecosystem is much more important. Halo is exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem, even if you can play it on PC, Xbox console or xCloud. To make an ecosystem more desirable MS will need more to invest games/content for it. Maybe we will see fewer hardware sales but on the software side, it will print money.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
People are too much focused on actual boxes. The ecosystem is much more important. Halo is exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem, even if you can play it on PC, Xbox console or xCloud. To make an ecosystem more desirable MS will need more to invest games/content for it. Maybe we will see fewer hardware sales but on the software side, it will print money.
I see your point, but Steam isn't part of that ecosystem. Unless we want to really bend the definition of exclusive.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

I don't even think that we'll necessarily see fewer hardware sales. Most people buy consoles for convenience, not because they're forced to, and wider availability could very well have an amplifying effect, similarly to how Game Pass actually lead to more game sales.

And I'm saying that from my personal experience - it was precisely Microsoft's PC ports of their Xbox games that made me interested in their console and eventually turned me into an Xbox fan (although third party games like KOTOR, Morrowind, and others also played a part).

SiassaDavid

Jun 15, 2018
Vienna, Austria
It is kind of frightening that Microsoft/Xbox can't fix the no audio issue on IOS devices, 40 minutes into the stream. I mean, there are hundreds of people spamming it in chat.. what are they doing?

How is she going to play this on the London underground? Does the London underground have solid 4G connection access? New York sure doesn't.
There are other countries with better infrastructure and connection access. There is more than america in the world. I am everyday, for 1 hour, on a train. Always 3G or 4G. Would be cool to play then. I don't know if subways would be ideal for streaming...

Why they faked xCloud ffs?
Already edited, I was dumb. This fake demo was so weird, specialy with the crash.
I don't know who started this but the demo was not fake. But streaming lag (~100-300ms) + bluetooth lag from the controller (~50-100ms) will look like that. Hope we can use a cable from phone to controller to eliminate the bluetooth lag. Can't wait to try it with public testing later this year.

Because Forza Horizon 4 is not on Steam. Because Gears 5 is not on steam. This is a great PR move from them. You make the PC crowd happy with releasing the MCC on Steam and generate goodwill. 2 years down the line you release Infinite on MS Store and cash in on it.
Release MCC on Steam in 2019. Get people signed up for Xbox Live. (They get a community on XBox Live for Halo, they get used to Xbox achievements, etc.)

Then, 1 year later, releaes Halo Infinite on Windows 10 with Game Pass. Meanwhile the store has improved and people will play the game via the Game Pass sub.

That's how you get engagement.
Somehow people don't realise this. Somehow people jump to the conlusion that xbox is dead. I really hope they continue this hybrid approach of Console, PC and (soon) streaming. This is only growing the xbox community, the brand and mindshare they have on PC.

I see your point, but Steam isn't part of that ecosystem. Unless we want to really bend the definition of exclusive.
Steam is just the way of delivering. They will need Windows (maybe 10?) and an Xbox Live account - so it is still in the Xbox Ecosystem

Last edited:

SiassaDavid

Jun 15, 2018
Vienna, Austria
being on Steam is a must for them.
Funny thing is: It's not a must. Gears 4 / Forza Horizon 4 with Crossplay on the Microsoft Store is doing fine and working great (in my experience)
MCC on Steam is a way for them to get people back on Halo and on Xbox Live. When Infinte releases they need to go to the (hopefully new / rebranded) Microsoft Store. Just an engagement tactic.

Most the 2nd party exclusives (from devs that are not MS owned) will probably come to Steam like in the past (Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct, Quantum Break, State of Decay: YOSE, Super Luckys Tale, ReCore, Ori 1, Cuphead, Halo Wars) [Exception: Halo Wars 2] - which should mean Crackdown 3, (maybe) State of Decay 2 and (probably) Ori 2 will probably hit Steam sometime

But 1st party (Studios from XGS) will (most of the time) stay exclusive to the Microsoft Store (Halo Infinite, Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 3/4, State of Decay 2, Gears 4/5) [Exceptions to get interest / mindshare and get people on Xbox Live: MCC, Gears UE]

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
I don't think it was fake. She's just bad because she moves her hand so much. If you look carefully, she only touches the sticks a little bit. And the car moves. Still a terrible demo, but not fake - as in not a video.

This was a weirdly short show too.. not sure why they didn't just blow it out with some AOE while they were at it. Iono. Doesn't seem like they're saving anything it for April either.. Maybe it just wasn't ready or something? Iono..

You're right I rewatched the demo and the way she used the left stick is so weird it messed with my mind, but it's not fake.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
or you can continue to sell hardware for those interested in a console experience which there are many people that prefer consoles to PC's especially if they nail the 2 SKU's and provide a cheaper base option with a powerful enthusiast one. Sell all those people your games and services (PLUS MAKE MONEY OFF 3RD PARTY SALES) while also going out and growing your buisness by putting your stuff wherever else you can (ie native PC games or streaming)

I for one will always by a console.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Has anyone answered by now if a Xbox Game Pass Subscriber gets MCC on PC for free if downloaded from the Windows Store? It is clear that the Steam version will cost money regardless.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is: It's not a must. Gears 4 / Forza Horizon 4 with Crossplay on the Microsoft Store is doing fine and working great (in my experience)
MCC on Steam is a way for them to get people back on Halo and on Xbox Live. When Infinte releases they need to go to the (hopefully new / rebranded) Microsoft Store. Just an engagement tactic.

Most the 2nd party exclusives (from devs that are not MS owned) will probably come to Steam like in the past (Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct, Quantum Break, State of Decay: YOSE, Super Luckys Tale, ReCore, Ori 1, Cuphead, Halo Wars) [Exception: Halo Wars 2] - which should mean Crackdown 3, (maybe) State of Decay 2 and (probably) Ori 2 will probably hit Steam sometime

But 1st party (Studios from XGS) will (most of the time) stay exclusive to the Microsoft Store (Halo Infinite, Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 3/4, State of Decay 2, Gears 4/5) [Exceptions to get interest / mindshare and get people on Xbox Live: MCC, Gears UE]

There is no such thing as 2nd party btw.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox community is going to grow significantly..MS making all the right moves lately. Next gen will be very interesting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.