Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Which devices are expected to me shown?

Xbox Series X
Xbox Series S
New headphones
VR

Price and Pre-order?

I honestly don't think they'll be revealing anything, my expectation is that it will be some videos and blog posts about "features" and "services" of xCloud, Series X, UI, back compat, that kind of stuff. Although I'm usually wrong in predictions so...

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
with sea of thieves and minecraft Msoft is finding a nice comfortable balance in developing these evergreen games

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
greenland-map.jpg
Microsoft buying Greenland confirmed, will now be known to hold all future Xbox events and be the home of the world renowned Xbox hotel where you can have Cortana as your room service AI, Chief as your personal driver to all sorts of locations like the Sea of Thieves waterpark

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
The same question can be done for every other component. Why limite to 50CU when there is a 80CU coming soon that will drop the price as time goes by? Why not going for 32GB of Ram since it will be cheaper as well in a couple of years?

All the 3 players design their consoles according to what they think it's the best perf/price ratio.

Could XSX have a better ssd? Yes Could it have a better GPU? Yes More Ram? Yes

Final price? 1999€

indeed

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Yeah, I just disagree not only with you but others that think this is make or break event for Xbox; while at the same time acknowledging it's their most important event of this year and will have massive impact on their perception and next gen narrative pre release. We definitely agree that they're likely to have a great/amazing show and Xbox realizes the importance of this event.

yes

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I've been playing Crash Bandicoot 1 from the trilogy this evening and I'm having a blast. It's crazy how well this has aged when it comes to fun factor, it's just a lot of fun. Well, except when you die a million times in some of those levels *cough, bridge*, lol.

This brings me to Xbox. They are sitting on Banjo-Kazooie and Conker the Squirrel. With the right developer I am damn certain they can make a worthy new Banjo game or at least make a remake of the first game, but something MS. Ratchet remake, Spyro and Crash remakes have all proven that it still works.

Insomniac will very likely make a new Ratchet, and it will undoubtedly be great. Hope we get to see the return of BK and/or Conker. Preferably BK.

Dec 31, 2017
I've been playing Crash Bandicoot 1 from the trilogy this evening and I'm having a blast. It's crazy how well this has aged when it comes to fun factor, it's just a lot of fun. Well, except when you die a million times in some of those levels *cough, bridge*, lol.

This brings me to Xbox. They are sitting on Banjo-Kazooie and Conker the Squirrel. With the right developer I am damn certain they can make a worthy new Banjo game or at least make a remake of the first game, but something MS. Ratchet remake, Spyro and Crash remakes have all proven that it still works.

Insomniac will very likely make a new Ratchet, and it will undoubtedly be great. Hope we get to see the return of BK and/or Conker. Preferably BK.
If they do a return of BK I hope it's more BK than BT. While I still like the sequel I find the first game to be more streamlined. BT's stages were too big imo and the game felt too slow. BK had just the right balance of size for each world and it made it far more interesting I think. I'd be all in a new BK, or a remake in the same vein as Spyro and Crash. Just hire a third party dev to do the job, shouldn't be too hard.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
This keeps being said about every component.

I'd pay an extra $10 for a battery in the pad
I'd pay an extra $100 for another TB of storage
I'd pay another $100 for a faster SSD
I'd pay another $5 for another USB-C port
I'd pay another $5 for an optical port
I'd pay another $100 for a faster CPU
I'd pay another $50 for more ram
I'd pay any extra $50 for better 3D audio

They have to draw a line somewhere and they have endless factors to consider.
But as you've pointed out, heat is a factor they had to consider and a faster SSD is going to be hotter, which is either going to require additional cooling or impact on the life of the machine.

They have to guarantee every component in that machine for 12 months or longer. If one soldered component blows, that's the whole APU , ram and SDD all gone at the same time.
This is something that needs to be considered for a $500 machine.
Do do the same thing in a laptop you'd be looking at $2500

agree

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017

It still blows me away that there is not a new Banjo.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
"Game Pass is perfect for ______" is a blanket statement that doesn't mean anything. The only games that wouldn't benefit from being on Game Pass are ones that are already free.
I pretty much agree. Episodic games that makes you subscribe for months and wait for the next episode, I think those go well with GP. But that's more of a mutual benefit, otherwise mostly every type of game is perfect for GP.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Am I the only one that doesn't want a fully open world Halo? I could see like a "wide linear" style like God of War, or maybe little hub open worlds like Gears, but I don't think a massive open world would be as fun. It kind of takes the urgency out of a plot, and given the way Halo 5 ended, I'd expect some urgency here.

*I'm not gonna condemn the game before I play it, 343 maybe could make the open world work, it just wouldn't be my first preference.

It won't be fully open, IMO. Open sections that you move between or finish in sequence maybe.

Surely we won't have longer than a week or so before the June event which we know is coming... And the blowback from May means we'll definitely see at least one 1st party banger.
I think it will be bigger than that. They usually have a few big announcements every E3. If July is only about the games then they must have a couple of big things they wanted to share this year. I expect a studio announcement, maybe with a video from that studio. Information on Xcloud, maybe when it is coming out the beta. Lockhart or any other Series hardware information. At least one completely unexpected surprise.

Don't get your hopes up for June. No 1st party bangers, no new studios, etc. July is their E3 replacement. We will get tons in July (and August/September as they accelerate to launch).

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What BK and Conker have going for it is that it directly appeals to Nintendo fans, and that's quite powerful, just look at the hysteria caused by Banjo announcement in Smash, people were in tears. If the new games turn out to be 89+ MC then you'll see major interest flooding in from the outside and that's going to be necessary if MS want thier base to grow.
It still blows me away that there is not a new Banjo.
Rare just don't want to do it, but are open to other devs taking it on however. But I don't think Gregg Mayles would be happy unless the idea is right, he'll want to still have some creative input I'd imagine. There will not be a pure Banjo by him at least, but he said he's definitely got another Banjo left in him.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
What BK and Conker have going for it is that it directly appeals to Nintendo fans, and that's quite powerful, just look at the hysteria caused by Banjo announcement in Smash, people were in tears. If the new games turn out to be 89+ MC then you'll see major interest flooding in from the outside and that's going to be necessary if MS want thier base to grow.

And not only for that, I firmly believe platformers still have great chances of being succesful in the market, because when done right, they can be utterly fun and quality videogames.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And not only for that, I firmly believe platformers still have great chances of being succesful in the market, because when done right, they can be utterly fun and quality videogames.
Sure for indie and smaller developers. For major publishers besides Nintendo, the investment in time and effort isn't worth the reward hence why major publishers moved on from it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
"Game Pass is perfect for ______" is a blanket statement that doesn't mean anything. The only games that wouldn't benefit from being on Game Pass are ones that are already free.

I think what they may have meant is Game Pass is a platform that makes Banjo more viable. Banjo never got funded in the past likely because Microsoft didn't think it would be profitable. As part of the Game Pass family, it adds variety and helps the library of family games. Gives the family oriented games a face. Doesn't have to sell super well to justify being greenlit to round out the Game Pass portfolio.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think what they may have meant is Game Pass is a platform that makes Banjo more viable. Banjo never got funded in the past likely because Microsoft didn't think it would be profitable. As part of the Game Pass family, it adds variety and helps the library of family games. Gives the family oriented games a face. Doesn't have to sell super well to justify being greenlit to round out the Game Pass portfolio.
This. Banjo is definitely viable with Game Pass as a service and Xbox and PC as platforms, hell you could even add a Switch port. The problem is what independent development studio in this day and age could make an excellent sequel that stays true to the tone but also innovates enough to bring new energy to the franchise that brings in both old and new fans and has overall high production values and polish.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
If they do a return of BK I hope it's more BK than BT. While I still like the sequel I find the first game to be more streamlined. BT's stages were too big imo and the game felt too slow. BK had just the right balance of size for each world and it made it far more interesting I think. I'd be all in a new BK, or a remake in the same vein as Spyro and Crash. Just hire a third party dev to do the job, shouldn't be too hard.

I agree completely with that. BK over BT all day!

Rare just don't want to do it, but are open to other devs taking it on however. But I don't think Gregg Mayles would be happy unless the idea is right, he'll want to still have some creative input I'd imagine. There will not be a pure Banjo by him at least, but he said he's definitely got another Banjo left in him.

I recall him talking about Yooka-Laylee and saying he would have made those levels smaller. Or wait, I think he was talking about a possible new BK. That he would opt for the smaller levels but with lots to do compared to those big ones in YL.

After seeing Banjo in smash, the character model I was like.....i really, really want a new game with this character. Of course more detailed and the fur looking really cool and everything.

Next gen should mean the return of the bear and the bird but I really am not gonna get my hopes up. I'm sure Phil wouldn't be against the idea, but which developer can they choose? Double Fine? They have made 3D platformwrs before with Psychonauts and Brutal Legend. Although, not sure the latter is platformer.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Sure for indie and smaller developers. For major publishers besides Nintendo, the investment in time and effort isn't worth the reward hence why major publishers moved on from it.
I disagree. I think it is more a case of developers not wanting to take the chance. I am sure a good videogame is bound to success no matter the genre, because gamers are wise and appreciate what´s good.

Also, there are many examples of platformers from big developers, apart from Nintendo´s: Crash and Spyro trilogies, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sonic...

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. I think it is more a case of developers not wanting to take the chance. I am sure a good videogame is bound to success no matter the genre, because gamers are wise and appreciate what´s good.

Also, there are many examples of platformers from big developers, apart from Nintendo´s: Crash and Spyro trilogies, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sonic...
Sony's bread and butter is AAA third person, cinematic, story driven, action adventure games that are also graphical showpieces for their systems. They've been moving towards this direction since PS3 and it has paid off not only in critical acclaim but massive sales and have been legitimate system sellers for them. Not saying it can't be done, but it is difficult for major publishers to invest time and resources to create a platformer up to the quality where they can charge $60 dollars and gets good reviews and sells well. Nintendo is the only major publisher that is still successful creating and innovating platformers with high production values and polish that they can charge $60 dollars for and be incredibly successful.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Next gen should mean the return of the bear and the bird but I really am not gonna get my hopes up. I'm sure Phil wouldn't be against the idea, but which developer can they choose? Double Fine? They have made 3D platformwrs before with Psychonauts and Brutal Legend. Although, not sure the latter is platformer.

Tbh let DoubleFine do their own thing unless they approach Microsoft. Lots of talented studios out there, if one is interested, sign a contract to re-make Banjo 1, and if its successful they'll make 2, and eventually 3.

Let Rare work with them, they still have members who worked on the original Banjo, etc.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah if Banjo Kazooie returns it definitely would not be a AAA platformer with high production values like a Nintendo game

Publishers don't want to take that kind of risk. It'd be something more on the scale of Crash N-Sane Trilogy

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Sony's bread and butter is AAA third person, cinematic, story driven, action adventure games that are also graphical showpieces for their systems. They've been moving towards this direction since PS3 and it has paid off not only in critical acclaim but massive sales and have been legitimate system sellers for them. Not saying it can't be done, but it is difficult for major publishers to invest time and resources to create a platformer up to the quality where they can charge $60 dollars and gets good reviews and sells well. Nintendo is the only major publisher that is still successful creating and innovating platformers with high production values and polish that they can charge $60 dollars for and be incredibly successful.
I see your point, you are describing the reality. Still, I think it can be changed.

Developers shouldn´t be afraid of making platformers just because Nintendo makes really good ones. It´s absurd. Heck, the other day we had a thread here with many folks saying that Banjo-Kazooie was better than Super Mario 64. People working today in videogame studios are perfectly capable, and with the support that Microsoft seems to be offering and a little care, they can come up with a really good videogame. You don´t even have to start with a brand new game. Remake Banjo-Kazooie to test the waters. I guess the Crash Trilogy was made for this purpose, and now we all would be extremely surprised if a new game is not in development.

Banjo Kazooie are icons and with Game Pass allowing many people to try the game I only see the best of the opportunities here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if Banjo Kazooie returns it definitely would not be a AAA platformer with high production values like a Nintendo game

Publishers don't want to take that kind of risk. It'd be something more on the scale of Crash N-Sane Trilogy
Well the Crash N-Sane Trilogy/Spyro Trilogy are also a safer risks because they're simply remasters/remakes of older games relying on nostalgia. Hence why I can see MS following the same formula and making Banjo 1 & 2 remasters/remakes before making a Banjo sequel. What will truly test the market for Major Publishers will be Activision making a new Crash game up to today's modern standards, high production values, and polish and charging retail price and it being received well as well as selling well.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Well the Crash N-Sane Trilogy/Spyro Trilogy are also a safer risks because they're simply remasters/remakes of older games relying on nostalgia. Hence why I can see MS following the same formula and making Banjo 1 & 2 remasters/remakes before making a Banjo sequel. What will truly test the market for Major Publishers will be Activision making a new Crash game up to today's modern standards and high production values and charging retail price and it being received well as well as selling well.
Yep. Curious how the market responds to the next Crash game. How much of a budget did Activision give it and what is the price? Can it sell the same number of units as N-Sane Trilogy? How many at full price?

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Off the top of my head, a next-gen services wishlist;
  • Digital trade-ins, DLC marketplace (spend rewards here)
  • XBL actually goes free for F2P
  • X-cloud is baked into XGP (more an expectation, now)
  • Players for hire (supposed to be a current-gen feature)
  • LFG integrated into party management (LFG voice template submissions via powerautomate).

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Off the top of my head, a next-gen services wishlist;
  • Digital trade-ins, DLC marketplace (spend rewards here)
  • XBL actually goes free for F2P
  • X-cloud is baked into XGP (more an expectation, now)
  • Players for hire (supposed to be a current-gen feature)
  • LFG integrated into party management (LFG voice template submissions via powerautomate).

"Channel" Game Pass add ons for publishers - add $5 for all Bethesda catalog games and day one releases, etc.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Yep. Curious how the market responds to the next Crash game. How much of a budget did Activision give it and what is the price? Can it sell the same number of units as N-Sane Trilogy? How many at full price?
I think of the price is good (Acti seems pretty comfortable at $40) and the quality is up to snuff, then they got themselves a success on their hands.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Well the Crash N-Sane Trilogy/Spyro Trilogy are also a safer risks because they're simply remasters/remakes of older games relying on nostalgia. Hence why I can see MS following the same formula and making Banjo 1 & 2 remasters/remakes before making a Banjo sequel. What will truly test the market for Major Publishers will be Activision making a new Crash game up to today's modern standards, high production values, and polish and charging retail price and it being received well as well as selling well.
A hugely successful Crash sequel would be significant. Though its linearity stands out from pretty much every other 3D platformer. Psychonauts isn't as big of a name but its gameplay is way more Banjo than Crash is, let's see how that does too.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A hugely successful Crash sequel would be significant. Though its linearity stands out from pretty much every other 3D platformer. Psychonauts isn't as big of a name but its gameplay is way more Banjo than Crash is, let's see how that does too.
I forgot all about Psychonauts 2. That has a really good chance of standing out and being critically acclaimed as well as commercially successful.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
yuck. people would hate it. XGP is supposed to be 'access all areas', as far as it was originally marketed. Paywalling some games, like prime does with channels will only turn people off.

I didn't mean a paywall, it's pay more for more. Doesn't mean games can't still come to regular game pass as they do now.

Day 1 releases or full catalogs that don't rotate out would totally be worth extra money to me, for some publishers at least.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
"Channel" Game Pass add ons for publishers - add $5 for all Bethesda catalog games and day one releases, etc.

I've been expecting this since the beginning of Game Pass, except I expected it more for X, but since they've announced X Cloud is play whatever you own, I reckon it still makes sense for game pass.

Pricing would be interesting though, Game Pass gives so much for 9.99, I can't imagine a lot of single publishers can offer a sub that's worth half that. The future is weird.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
New job offer at inXile
www.inxile-entertainment.com

Careers | inXile Entertainment

Help us create the next great Xbox Game Studios title from our Orange County and New Orleans offices.
InXile is looking for a talented and passionate Senior Narrative Designer for an unannounced next-generation RPG.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I just finished Yakuza Kiwami and I noticed a lot of Microsoft people and dedicated staff for the Microsoft version in the credits, which is interesting, it's not something I feel like I see in most games. I guess maybe Microsoft was pretty heavily involved in the port, which is cool. Hope to see more of this, its gonna take work to get Japanese developers to a place where they're just used to making an Xbox version and do it by default.

Truthfully it'll probably never be default for everyone, but it can at least be default for medium to large sized teams that can afford it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Here it is from Gregg himself, 59.20 mins in:

youtu.be

Rare at the Herbert: "Tales From Twycross" Developer Panel

Held at the Herbert Art Gallery & Museum in Coventry on September 15th 2018, this panel supported our summer 2018 exhibition entitled Rare: From 8-bit to Xbo...

They were going to do a remake, but felt it wouldn't be worth their time, they thought about a reimagined version but resigned to the fact it'd be seen as a simple remake. The idea to reintroduce Banjo moved from a remake to a sequel, Nuts + Bolts.

So effectively, Rare we're not interested in a remake, at least not from the creator of Banjo. I'm not sure MS would go ahead without Rare's blessing. Good news is that the Smash Bros reveal showed how beloved Banjo really is, the reaction moved people who originally worked on it (Steve Mayles and Grant Kirkhope), so here's hoping Gregg felt that same spark.

IMO we'd see either a new Banjo or nothing from Rare. But wow, if we hear Banjos theme (Spiral Mountain) in July, oh. my. god. I'd pass out.

Status
Not open for further replies.