Status
Not open for further replies.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Grubb said he heard rumblings of MS looking into buying a studio in Japan. No names or anything just rumblings.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
After buying an oculus I really wish Microsoft would push big in the VR space. Having xcloud combined with a wireless headset has the potential of creating an amazing experience.
Xcloud + VR will never make sense. The latency would never ever be acceptable.

But if VR starts to gain real traction I think you'll see them add VR support to Xbox and then make a bunch of deals to bring key VR titles to Game Pass. Almost all of the classic VR games can be had for peanuts these days, and so I think it would be relatively cheap to add like 50 VR titles to the service.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff Grubb said he heard rumblings of MS looking into buying a studio in Japan. No names or anything just rumblings.
If you're talking about the podcast with Miles a couple of hours ago. He said he heard the rumours about a big western company investing in a Japanese company, he thinks that's the Kojima rumour he has reported on but he said it could be something else. It wasn't specifically about an acquisition or specifically MS.

Jun 15, 2020
Makes me want a hero shooter or an all star brawler even more.

Anyone remember Power Stone games, those were the shit back then.
A Power Stone 2-style game is exactly what I've been advocating Xbox do for a mascot fighter for years. No one is making that style of game anymore. Plus, it immediately eliminates the Smash Bros. comparisons that plagued PS All-Stars.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about the podcast with Miles a couple of hours ago. He said he heard the rumours about a big western company investing in a Japanese company, he thinks that's the Kojima rumour he has reported on but he said it could be something else. It wasn't specifically about an acquisition or specifically MS.

No, he was certainly talking about MS

fartynoob

Banned
Jul 1, 2021

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
No, he was certainly talking about MS

They first talked about it near the start of the podcast when talking about Konami, it wasn't specifically about MS. You're missing the context, that thing he "heard rumbles" about in Japan is what they brought up earlier in the podcast.
(Timestamped video 30:36)

Last edited:

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
I am going to laugh so hard when MS announces an acquisition and it's literally none of the studios anyone thinks they are.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
reminds me of the rumblings Khan and Jeff heard prior to the Bethesda acquisition. They heard MS was making a huge investment into gaming but they weren't sure if it was going to be an acquisition well it turned out to be Bethesda.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I made some things last night. Sorry for the size.
2Fzk8pi.jpg
ALRbyxm.jpg
eWN0Pnx.jpg
01swlzC.jpg

haha nice! :)

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

Listened to the video and it's not really MS? More like a big western company wanting to invest or get something in Japan.

Then they talk about maybe something is going on with MS and Konami? I dunno.

Last edited:

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Listened to the video and it's not really MS? More like a big western company wanting to invest or get something in Japan.

He seems to focus on Konami a lot. I don't know about that. Will have to wait and see.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021

"big western company" can be a couple studios, but in the context of Microsoft's acquisition frenzy, over the past 3 years, they're almost certainly one of the candidates I'd think.

The whole thing is strange, because last year there was the Bloomberg article, about MS looking out for Japanese studios and Japanese developers reporting that their studios had been made an offer. I feel like Phil denied that and a lot of people were just like "well Phil denied it so it's obviously not happening."

During that case I'm honestly very much inclined to actually believe the devs than I am MS themselves, so I can absolutely see MS still going out and acquiring studios in Japan.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Bloomberg said something similar last year.
www.usgamer.net

Microsoft Reportedly Approached Several Japanese Studios For Acquisition Talks

A new report says studios big and small were recently approached.
www.gamesradar.com

Microsoft is looking to acquire "small to big" Japanese developers

Xbox says it is "always open to discussions with creators that are a good fit"
za.ign.com

Xbox Reportedly Looking to Buy Japanese Developers

Several developers have reportedly been approached by Microsoft.

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm telling y'all, Japanese Highschool idol club simulation game. Marcus can be the gym teacher who wants to disband the club so he can use their room for equipment storage, Corvo can be the teacher who is always tired but ultimately sponsors the club, thinking he won't have to do anything but then he really starts to cars about these kids, they become like the family he never had, and he falls in love with the school nurse, Cortana, after one of the kids passes out at a festival because Marcus worked them too hard the day before.

Either that or like an Unreal Tournament style thing.
When you brought up the idea the other day, I thought you were joking, but honestly that pitch kind of has me sold. An anime styled JRPG with a high school setting filled with XGS characters would be absolutely amazing and also probably the best way to really have a game that's a love letter to all the different Xbox franchises, lol.

Also an Unreal Tournament style thing probably wouldn't work, I feel it would need to be much more Overwatch styled to not only really showcase character's abilities but also to stand out against other shooters.

I think a hero shooter, with some first person characters and others that are third party, would be incredible!
It would easily be really damn incredible. Plus the devs could have some fun with different game modes too, like you could do a mode that's like Spies Vs Mercs from the old Splinter Cell games where you have a team of spy characters and a team of shooter characters and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Plus, you could easily do multiplayer maps that are literally just copy pasted from several of the other first party games as well, which would be pretty cool.

There are always rumblings and there are probably always talks happening as well, I doubt anything will come of that just yet honestly. Maybe in a year or two, but right now I guarantee you they're working on building up their relationships with the different devs.

I am going to laugh so hard when MS announces an acquisition and it's literally none of the studios anyone thinks they are.
That'll be amazing though, honestly. I don't want any acquisition to be a big or predictable company, I want someone smaller like Compulsion or something to be acquired, talent with room/aspirations to grow.

Like starting their own company but without the hard parts

Oct 29, 2017
So with the acquisition of bethesda and considering all other Microsoft ips. What does everybody think are Microsofts/Bethesdas 5 biggest/most important IPs?

I would say

1. Minecraft
2. Forza
3. Elder Scrolls
4. Halo
5. Fallout

What do we think?
  1. Minecraft
  2. ElderScrolls
  3. Halo
  4. Fallout
  5. Forza
Minecraft is obviously the best selling game of all time or whatever. ElderScroll to this day keep getting ported to new machines because it's that big and good. Halo has had rough times, mostly from its fans not accepting any small changes to the game. It will never again reach past glory because the genre has changed so much and made so many improvements that Halo fans can't accept. Fallout should be above Halo but because of 76's reception, its status went down. To be honest Fallout should have been near Elder Scroll level had 76 done well. Forza is probably the next big thing. It was always the big three games that used to be mentioned that Xbox catered toward, Halo, Gears and Forza. Gears would have been above Forza but it has the same problem Halo has in that the game can't change much and to be honest once you've played the original trilogy you've pretty much played all possible Gears games. Game would be higher if its fans accepted change, see that third person cover shooter that had CSGO item shops as proof that was viral for a while but even then isn't talked about now a days.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
If any Japanese company gets investments I kinda hope its Konami, they have so many top IP just being wasted away.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
lol I swear 48 hours ago y'all were saying that acquisition talk had gotten out of hand 😂
to be fair, there's a bit of a difference between reputable source talking about it, and internet randos decreeing that something acquisition is happening in the near future lol.

still I feel this even though I'm not exactly helping lmao.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I might be late but y'all seen this? Damn thing is dope af.

That is disgusting and I mean that in a good way lol. I would buy that day one! I realize that this is kinda backwards, but I sometimes hate how "clean" controllers etc.. can look. They nailed the Fallout aesthetic and I now want this controller, very badly lol. Thanks for sharing!

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
When you brought up the idea the other day, I thought you were joking, but honestly that pitch kind of has me sold. An anime styled JRPG with a high school setting filled with XGS characters would be absolutely amazing and also probably the best way to really have a game that's a love letter to all the different Xbox franchises, lol.

Also an Unreal Tournament style thing probably wouldn't work, I feel it would need to be much more Overwatch styled to not only really showcase character's abilities but also to stand out against other shooters.

I definitely said it as a joke at first, but the more I think about the more I am kind of into the idea hah. Doesn't even have to an anime RPG, just, if Microsoft is going to do something as like a giant crossover game, I think they should just go nuts with it. Don't try to out Nintendo Nintendo, do something completely ridiculous that no one will even think to take seriously, just pure fun and love to the games and characters. Ages ago in one of these threads we talked about a Conker anthology series where each entry is a parody of some popular game, starring Conker being thrust into the world and having to figure things out and make his way through. At that time I remember talking about like, God of War and Red Dead Redemption, but at this point, there's so many active and distinct IP you could easily do that with all Xbox franchises.

Something like Overwatch does really make the most sense I guess, something where each character has a distinct silhouette and plays differently, sticking mostly to the more "adult" or grounded Xbox franchises. I don't really expect Xbox to just make a cross over game for the sake of it, but some kind of hero shooter with a lot of cool game modes and different characters actually could probably work and they definitely have no shortage of studios that can create incredible shooters if they wanted to.

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone questions you, how gamepass is useful to devs, show them this.

That is square losing tons of money on avengers. a very popular printing money.

and this is Outriders. from the same company. a complete new IP.
www.videogameschronicle.com

Square Enix believes Outriders’ Xbox Game Pass launch has paid off | VGC

Company says digital sales ratio is “very high” and active users beat expectations…

Look, I love Game Pass, but to say Avengers failed because it wasn't on Game Pass and not because it was a bad game with huge amounts problems at launch (and even now still) is a little disingenuous.

I don't care for Outriders, but Outriders had content at launch. Outriders got decent reviews. Outriders had a demo before launch that was a success for them. A general audience reacted well to Outriders. It being on Game Pass is just one factor into Outriders's success.

Onlywantsapples

alt account
Banned
May 13, 2021
Gamepass would have lead to more plays day 1 for Avengers, but having players day 1 on Avengers wasn't the issue.

it's that within 2-3 weeks everyone stopped giving a shit. Gamepass wouldn't have solved that.

Concrete1337

Sep 1, 2020
So with the acquisition of bethesda and considering all other Microsoft ips. What does everybody think are Microsofts/Bethesdas 5 biggest/most important IPs?

I would say

1. Minecraft
2. Forza
3. Elder Scrolls
4. Halo
5. Fallout

What do we think?

1) pillars of eternity
2) pillars of eternity
3) pillars of eternity
4) elder scrolls
5) wasteland/fallout.

I may or may not like pillars quite a bit. I hope gamepass means it gets some more isometric RPGs. Good unique content for a "cheap" budget.

fartynoob

Banned
Jul 1, 2021
Look, I love Game Pass, but to say Avengers failed because it wasn't on Game Pass and not because it was a bad game with huge amounts problems at launch (and even now still) is a little disingenuous.

I don't care for Outriders, but Outriders had content at launch. Outriders got decent reviews. Outriders had a demo before launch that was a success for them. A general audience reacted well to Outriders. It being on Game Pass is just one factor into Outriders's success.
not really. that wasnt my point.
My point was about how people say, gamepass is bad for games.
Avengers would have a hit with gamepass, and give the devs time they need to iron out most of the issues. And all that works on a large base users. When there are few people buying your game, you will lose the motivation to fix your game.
Look at outriders. The devs worked hard to fix the game. Because they had a large base users, and they were more happy to make their product good.

fartynoob

Banned
Jul 1, 2021
Gamepass would have lead to more plays day 1 for Avengers, but having players day 1 on Avengers wasn't the issue.

it's that within 2-3 weeks everyone stopped giving a shit. Gamepass wouldn't have solved that.
Avengers main problem is lack of users.
The gameplay is good, its the other nonsense that makes the game bad. Things like enemy damage. These can be fixed by a patch damage modifier.
Without users, The devs dont have the reason to do it. The game, in their eyes was a failure.
Look at destiny 2, sea of thieves. More players helped the game become more good.

At the end of the day, more users will generate more data for devs. less users will generate less data for devs. We have seen how buggy was Outriders, and how quickly the devs were there to fix it.

Oct 25, 2017
not really. that wasnt my point.
My point was about how people say, gamepass is bad for games.
Avengers would have a hit with gamepass, and give the devs time they need to iron out most of the issues. And all that works on a large base users. When there few people buying your game, you will lose the motivation to fix your game.
Look at outriders. The devs worked hard to fix the game. Because they had a large base users, and they were more happy to make their product good.

It wouldn't, though. Someone else brought up a good point in this thread that Avengers's problem wasn't initial sales or engagement, there was a major drop off because people weren't interested. Because the game wasn't good and it had major problems that still plague it today. Game Pass wouldn't have fixed that.

If the negative response to the game, lack of players, weak sales after the first week despite the brand name, and being the main factor in Square lost money last year aren't good motivators to fix your game, then I doubt Game Pass will help.

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, more users will generate more data for devs. less users will generate less data for devs. We have seen how buggy was Outriders, and how quickly the devs were there to fix it.

Many users were complaining about one of the major problems with the game was it was grind. Their response to this was to make the game EVEN MORE of a ridiculous grind.

That isn't a lack of data problem.

fartynoob

Banned
Jul 1, 2021
It wouldn't, though. Someone else brought up a good point in this thread that Avengers's problem wasn't initial sales or engagement, there was a major drop off because people weren't interested. Because the game wasn't good and it had major problems that still plague it today. Game Pass wouldn't have fixed that.

If the negative response to the game, lack of players, weak sales after the first week despite the brand name, and being the main factor in Square lost money last year aren't good motivators to fix your game, then I doubt Game Pass will help.
The main problem of avengers are damages. Your heroes does low damage on enemies, which made hulk the green angry guy, a weakling, who have a hard time killing 1 enemy.
Then you have the repeat battles in certain areas. With the damage issues, it made it really bad.
Then you had the loot, which wasnt changing their appearance.

If they did damage fix, the game would have been a little bit enjoyable.

fartynoob

Banned
Jul 1, 2021
Many users were complaining about one of the major problems with the game was it was grind. Their response to this was to make the game EVEN MORE of a ridiculous grind.

That isn't a lack of data problem.
The grind is made worst by how your heroes deal damage. If it was like normal avengers power, i doubt those grinds would have been hard.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I made some things last night. Sorry for the size.
yjDFfwj.jpg

01swlzC.jpg
SveVp7j.jpg
crUpjAE.jpg
o.o amazing. Nicely done.

I'm telling y'all, Japanese Highschool idol club simulation game. Marcus can be the gym teacher who wants to disband the club so he can use their room for equipment storage, Corvo can be the teacher who is always tired but ultimately sponsors the club, thinking he won't have to do anything but then he really starts to cars about these kids, they become like the family he never had, and he falls in love with the school nurse, Cortana, after one of the kids passes out at a festival because Marcus worked them too hard the day before.

Either that or like an Unreal Tournament style thing.
Yea ok. Make it happen. (This type of thing probably lives and dies and dies and dies on the writing. High risk, always lol. I'd love it, if they put like a small guerilla team of 10 writers to concept all of this over a year or so, with complete free reign over story and characters, before committing any asset or programming work. It feels almost like a TV show run, except that no one would ever greenlight this lol...

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If anyone questions you, how gamepass is useful to devs, show them this.

That is square losing tons of money on avengers. a very popular printing money.

and this is Outriders. from the same company. a complete new IP.
www.videogameschronicle.com

Square Enix believes Outriders’ Xbox Game Pass launch has paid off | VGC

Company says digital sales ratio is “very high” and active users beat expectations…

Just curious: are you suggesting the subpar Avengers game would have been successful with Game Pass? I'm not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.