How do you purchase games on Xbox? (Excluding Game Pass)

• Physical

Votes: 108 10.4%
  • Digital

Votes: 757 72.6%
  • Mix of both

Votes: 177 17.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
As a general rule you shouldn't use lightning in a bottle scenarios as comparisons imo

I get that it might seem that way, but that's something I've been saying long long before, probably even before Halo Infinite launched (as I was clear in the lead up to launch that to me they didn't have a lot of content or variety or else they would have shown it).

In fact, Helldivers 2 actually helps in showing why I think that way, it's not the main driver behind that thought.

My main first thought was on converting people into GP users. Helldivers 2 isn't part of that discussion.

Last edited:

Ombretoile

Banned
Sep 8, 2022
The Game Pass app should really have a tab to view the number of players currently connected to a game, similar to what SteamDB does. The number displayed next to the game could be a unique total of Xbox + PC + Cloud, to clearly demonstrate the unification of ecosystems.

If Microsoft aims to become a serious competitor to Steam, I believe this is an important feature.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
That last paragraph on that text page. Sounds familiar
Sweeney was pretty blunt about this in the past.

Heck, Tim Sweeney talked about it and mentioned it as one of the reasons why they sold Gears and changed business models.

"The very first Gears of War game cost $12 million to develop, and it made about $100 million in revenue," he says. "It was very profitable."

"By the end of the cycle, Gears of War 3 cost about four or five times more than the original to make," he says. "The profit was shrinking and shrinking. We calculated that, if we built Gears of War 4, the budget would have been well over $100 million, and if it was a huge success, we could break even. Anything less could put us out of business.

"That's what caused us to move and change business models."

www.polygon.com

The four lives of Epic Games | Their future is Epic: The evolution of a gaming giant

Take an exclusive in-depth look at how Epic Games has evolved from Gears of War into “Epic 4.0.

It still amazes me that Gears of War had a budget of 12 million USD, and that budget had quadrupled by the time the third game came out only five years later, in the same console generation.

DiegoPaulino

Banned
Aug 24, 2023
It still amazes me that Gears of War had a budget of 12 million USD, and that budget had quadrupled by the time the third game came out only five years later, in the same console generation.

The more I read about it, and I just saw this Sony thread, made me acknoledge Iwata even more, to realise in 2003 how this would become a threat to this industry and shifting Nintendo to low-powered consoles and, with the exception of the WiiU, are easy to develop.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Really hope that SMTV (the new version that has leaked) comes to Xbox.

The more I read about it, and I just saw this Sony thread, made me acknoledge Iwata even more, to realise in 2003 how this would become a threat to this industry and shifting Nintendo to low-powered consoles and, with the exception of the WiiU, are easy to develop.
Switch 2 is ~PS4 power level per leaks, though. They'll face similar issues.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
The Game Pass app should really have a tab to view the number of players currently connected to a game, similar to what SteamDB does. The number displayed next to the game could be a unique total of Xbox + PC + Cloud, to clearly demonstrate the unification of ecosystems.

If Microsoft aims to become a serious competitor to Steam, I believe this is an important feature.
I agree in principle, because I like that kind of transparency, but it's also pretty bad for developers and publishers if the numbers don't align with what people are expecting or if a game flops. That's probably why it's not a public-facing Steam feature and is only accessible through a third-party site.

www.pcgamesn.com

Starfield has lost 97% of its Steam players in less than six months

In the six months since it launched, Starfield, Bethesda's long-awaited space RPG, has seen its Steam player count drop by over 300,000

www.pcgamesn.com

Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League has good reviews but less than 1,000 players

Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League, from Rocksteady Studios, is struggling to maintain its player count on Steam despite good reviews.

mmos.com

Palworld Lost 70% Of Its Players Since Launch, The Biggest Two-Week Drop In Steam History - MMOs.com

Palworld sees a significant drop in its player numbers since its early access launch, losing 1.3 million players in two weeks.

www.eurogamer.net

"Palworld has lost X per cent of its player base discourse is lazy," says developer Pocketpair

Palworld developer Pocketpair insists it has no reason to be alarmed about the hit game's dwindling player count.As Pal…

If the numbers are good and noteworthy, publishers will report them. If they don't, it shouldn't be our problem, even if I like the numbers because it's something fun to talk about.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
I agree in principle, because I like that kind of transparency, but it's also pretty bad for developers and publishers if the numbers don't align with what people are expecting or if a game flops. That's probably why it's not a public-facing Steam feature and is only accessible through a third-party site.

www.pcgamesn.com

Starfield has lost 97% of its Steam players in less than six months

In the six months since it launched, Starfield, Bethesda's long-awaited space RPG, has seen its Steam player count drop by over 300,000

www.pcgamesn.com

Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League has good reviews but less than 1,000 players

Suicide Squad Kill The Justice League, from Rocksteady Studios, is struggling to maintain its player count on Steam despite good reviews.

mmos.com

Palworld Lost 70% Of Its Players Since Launch, The Biggest Two-Week Drop In Steam History - MMOs.com

Palworld sees a significant drop in its player numbers since its early access launch, losing 1.3 million players in two weeks.

www.eurogamer.net

"Palworld has lost X per cent of its player base discourse is lazy," says developer Pocketpair

Palworld developer Pocketpair insists it has no reason to be alarmed about the hit game's dwindling player count.As Pal…

If the numbers are good and noteworthy, publishers will report them. If they don't, it shouldn't be our problem, even if I like the numbers because it's something fun to talk about.
What? You can absolutely see the number of concurrent players playing/connected to a game directly through Steam. Don't need a third party site (SteamDB) for that.

store.steampowered.com

Steam Charts

Top selling and top played games across Steam

DiegoPaulino

Banned
Aug 24, 2023
Really hope that SMTV (the new version that has leaked) comes to Xbox.

Switch 2 is ~PS4 power level per leaks, though. They'll face similar issues.

It'll be powerful enough for Nintendo to keep making their bangers, but the base is a 2013 power-level console. The difference is that the current development engines available will help to make visuals not so distant from the Series S. Just like the switch Doom port, for the first sight, was not so different from the PS4/XBone versions.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
What? You can absolutely see the number of concurrent players playing/connected to a game directly through Steam. Don't need a third party site (SteamDB) for that.

store.steampowered.com

Steam Charts

Top selling and top played games across Steam
I'm not sure why I was thinking of sales numbers, but you're totally right. The CCU count alone is accessible. I probably conflated it with SteamSpy.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
It'll be powerful enough for Nintendo to keep making their bangers, but the base is a 2013 power-level console. The difference is that the current development engines available will help to make visuals not so distant from the Series S. Just like the switch Doom port, for the first sight, was not so different from the PS4/XBone versions.
Ok but my point is that things began to get really expensive in the xbox one/ps4 era... nintendo is getting there. late, but they are.

I'm not sure why I was thinking of sales numbers, but you're totally right. The CCU count alone is accessible. I probably conflated it with SteamSpy.
oh yeah that makes more sense! i can see myself getting confused with both of those too lol

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

What happened with the 3DS after the ultra successful DS? It's easy to praise Iwata's vision when discussing his successes or pivots but it hasn't been a bed of roses for them. WiiU was a total failure following the same principles and vision.

Haregan

Aug 21, 2022
Serbia

It is. Having this ability to see how many players play each game, wishlists and follows is one of the big reasons what makes Steam so popular.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ok but my point is that things began to get really expensive in the xbox one/ps4 era... nintendo is getting there. late, but they are.

Fans don't expect Gears/Uncharted graphics from Nintendo however. Animal Crossing doesn't have to be a graphical banger.

And Nintendo platforms give devs a second chance with handheld ports giving them another chance to recoup budgets.

On top of that, unlike Sony and MS, Nintendo will make a profit on consoles sold day 1 while still being affordable ($~399).

DiegoPaulino

Banned
Aug 24, 2023
What happened with the 3DS after the ultra successful DS? It's easy to praise Iwata's vision when discussing his successes or pivots but it hasn't been a bed of roses for them. WiiU was a total failure following the same principles and vision.

The 3DS problem was the initial high launch price, it had nothing to do with the specs. When Nintendo lowered the price to what it should be, the sales were at the level expected by Nintendo.

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
Fans don't expect Gears/Uncharted graphics from Nintendo however. Animal Crossing doesn't have to be a graphical banger.

And Nintendo platforms give devs a second chance with handheld ports giving them another chance to recoup budgets.

On top of that, unlike Sony and MS, Nintendo will make a profit on consoles sold day 1 while still being affordable ($~399).
we'll see.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The 3DS problem was the initial high launch price, it had nothing to do with the specs. When Nintendo lowered the price to what it should be, the sales were at the level expected by Nintendo.

Yes Nintendo likes to make money. Think how that fucked up their margins by having to discount their console. The 3DS's flat launch caused them to shift resources and hampered the WiiU. Ultimately they folded two consoles into 1 for the Switch to be able to keep up with the new game development demands.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yes?
But they either would not have been able to refund it after playing it for a bit at launch (so that's potentially 60-70$ invested already) or on the Game Pass side might have been converted as GP users long-term ("might as well try other stuff", "oh GP is a great service"). It's all additive, whearas just relying on whales likely didn't make as much as it would have that way. And don't get me wrong, if the game was much bigger and more successfull, then F2P would have been the right idea. But they didn't have enough content specifically to make it successfull.

It's easy to say: it wouldn't have worked either. But the reality is nobody can be 100% sure because that outcome didn't happen.

I'd take Helldivers 2 as a point of comparison, since player numbers are totally reaching Halo-like numbers in 2024 (or would be without server issues). They're making a lot of money right now because it's a paid title, they don't even need to support the game for two years to make a lot of money. Helldivers 2 is making a lot of money, because lots of people are playing it, and finding it worth there while.

I'd argue there is a threshold where it makes sense to go F2P for big games. But that line needs to be higher than the numbers Infinite is pulling.

So is your argument that financially they would have been better off, even if the player base trajectory fell off the same cliff?

I don't see it. A $60-70 barrier to entry to a game with a multiplayer component that did not have the meat and potatoes necessary to justify spending that money, would not have been great financially either.

When you look at Halo 5, it didn't sell many units (for a Halo game). Its financials were saved by what was essentially a p2w scheme in Warzone- a scheme that only worked because 343 was able to remedy their lack of launch content with monthly updates.

The only way Infinite could have worked as a full price game is if it launched w/ the MP suite we got 2 years later. And the only way it could have worked as f2p is if it was able to satisfy the quarterly seasons originally planned from day1. The common denominator is that studio didn't have the bandwidth to deliver a sustainable MP suite by Holiday 2021- and ironically, it's because all the bandwidth went into being overly ambitious w/ the campaign before gutting it and selling it at full price.

Last edited:

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
everyone is talking like halo is a bad game. Halo 4, 5 and infinite were all good and successful(yes even 5) Hell I will even say I like the halos made by 343 more than I like the bungee halos. I love them all in reality

Infinite was awesome and got many awards and a fan favourite.

Infinite is not a bad game. It just isn't the savior Halo 1-3 were. If it had similar engagement to Halo 2, 2022's lack of games wouldn't have mattered as much. 343's inability to keep up with content demand killed any chance the F2P experiment had of succeeding.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Infinite is not a bad game. It just isn't the savior Halo 1-3 were. If it had similar engagement to Halo 2, 2022's lack of games wouldn't have mattered as much. 343's inability to keep up with content demand killed any chance the F2P experiment had of succeeding.

TBF it was never going to be Halo saviour like 1/3 were as that was a very different time, and different FPS fans, it was still a GREAT game but let down on the MP side with a lack of initial content

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

Agree that it was the content roadmap that killed Halo Infinite, although Microsoft's 18/6 contractor rule really seems to kneecap their internal studios even if they have the best of intentions.

I still maintain that it was incredibly bizarre they didn't outsource the porting of classic maps to infinite to provide a steady stream of content post launch while waiting for new maps.

Either way, after 6 years the game should have had a ton of content locked in and polished to be their marquee next gen launch title. It's such a shame because the gameplay fundamentals of Infinite really are stellar.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
A question for anyone who would like to answer: Has the discussion around Sony's costs and profitability recontextualized Phil Spencer's comments regarding the long-term health of the Xbox platform for you?

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
A question for anyone who would like to answer: Has the discussion around Sony's costs and profitability recontextualized Phil Spencer's comments regarding the long-term health of the Xbox platform for you?
Yes in terms of the overall discussion, but no for me personally because I was already aware of the challenges Sony are facing. I think a lot of people just saw Sony's console sales up until now and assumed everything is dandy when that just isn't the case.

Jan 4, 2018
Agree that it was the content roadmap that killed Halo Infinite, although Microsoft's 18/6 contractor rule really seems to kneecap their internal studios even if they have the best of intentions.

I still maintain that it was incredibly bizarre they didn't outsource the porting of classic maps to infinite to provide a steady stream of content post launch while waiting for new maps.

Either way, after 6 years the game should have had a ton of content locked in and polished to be their marquee next gen launch title. It's such a shame because the gameplay fundamentals of Infinite really are stellar.

Content wasn't the sole issue. The design model of Infinite's MP was also 15-year old and it's why it couldn't keep players interested even when the content was finally here. It severely lacks ambition and doesn't offer anything new or exciting compared to old games like Halo 2, Halo 3 or the MCC. Trends have changed a lot and 343 and Xbox moved backwards instead.

It was also hurt by Halo becoming a somewhat irrelevant IP in Europe, Asia and the rest of the world (and the PC numbers showed it), but that's because the current Xbox leadership doesn't care about these territories in the first place.

Jul 19, 2020
343 were mess for a long time but I'm more confident in them today than I was before Infinite. Refreshing the leadership and allegedly changing the engine are both promising developments for them that'll hopefully pay off with the next one.

Only thing I really fear at the moment is the cost of managing to launch with Forge + co-op + multiplayer + a fully featured campaign keeps increasing every generation and the community doesn't seem amicable to accepting any of those modes being even delayed, let alone cut, which is a lot of pressure on the studio and may not make sense for the IP financially anymore. CoD is the only comparable shooter I can think of where people expect so many distinct modes at launch and obviously earns vastly more to be able to justify the dev costs involved in achieving that.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Streaming your library will go a long way for me on the front of making sure my purchases in the Xbox ecosystem are secure longterm. Let's see if licensing older games from consoles like OG and 360 is the full BC catalogue. That would assuage most all of my fears in that aspect. Hope we get that announce by E3.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Content wasn't the sole issue. The design model of Infinite's MP was also 15-year old and it's why it couldn't keep players interested even when the content was finally here. It severely lacks ambition and doesn't offer anything new or exciting compared to old games like Halo 2, Halo 3 or the MCC. Trends have changed a lot and 343 and Xbox moved backwards instead.
I understand what you're saying but the excitement for Infinite at launch was largely BECAUSE it wasn't following trends and it felt like a return to classic Halo. That's why people flocked to it and they left because of the content problems. The gameplay of Infinite is the best in the entire franchise and it's the perfect marriage of classic Halo with modern sensibilities. Chasing trends is how you piss off the core fanbase, the people who evangelise Halo, and that would be an even worse situation than we're in right now.

No matter how good future Halo games are, it's never going to be as big as it was in 2007. NEVER. It's not possible with the gaming landscape of today. Back then, no other games offered what Halo was offering, whereas now every multiplayer game offers that experience. But that doesn't mean Halo can't still be relevant and big and successful. They have a lot of goodwill right now from the core gameplay of Infinite and the content rollout since autumn 2022, and that puts them in a great position to (hopefully) hit the ground running with the next big game.

Bengraven