• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I don't like about Game Pass is that it's almost too good.
I know that's a meme but it's true!

I'm constantly looking forward to the next batch of games and they nearly always deliver the goods.

It's already too much yet I can't stop itching for more. The game pass twitter account is great too.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
i can't get over what an amazing deal it is. so many reasons already listed on here.

i've converted to ultimate for full 36 months so june 2022 all for 1 eur because i had a couple of years of gold and game pass separately now they've combined their length for the 36 max so actually even more value for me...

incredible

how on earth is this working from a financial or business pov for microsoft though?

They are playing the long game. The initial 1 to 1 conversion encourages people to buy 36 months of gold, that's great for MS even if its not the full cost of 3 years of Gamepass. Once people are in, they see how good Gamepass Ultimate is, so after the three years reduced fee is over, I bet a lot of people continue paying for full price. And there's gonna be a ton of people who don't know about the 3 year thing, and just wanna try it for a month to test it out (and then they pay the regular $15 per month after the first).

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass is incredible.

how on earth is this working from a financial or business pov for microsoft though?

Phil mentioned in the Giant Bomb interview that people actually buy more games when subscribed to game pass. It essentially work as both a subscription service but also advertising for games that people see their friends playing. Anecdotally my buddy subscribed to Game Pass for a month, played a bunch of Sea of Thieves which he never would have tried before then, and then ended up buying the game after Game Pass expired. He used it as a demo period essentially and bought a game he never would have even looked at before.

I also assume that at this point they're just trying to get as many people to use the service as they can, and then eventually they won't offer nearly as many $1 sales and the like and then at that point they'll be making more money from subscriptions themselves.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Game Pass is incredible.

Phil mentioned in the Giant Bomb interview that people actually buy more games when subscribed to game pass. It essentially work as both a subscription service but also advertising for games that people see their friends playing.

I also assume that at this point they're just trying to get as many people to use the service as they can, and then at some point they won't offer nearly as many $1 sales and the like and then at that point they'll be making more money from subscriptions themselves.

It can promote sales of DLC too. This is super anecdotal but I know a couple people who got Sunset Overdrive on GamePass and then bought the expansion. I used to play Rocket League on PS4 but picked it up on Xbox through GamePass recently and bought a few car packs. I would assume a lot of people buy more add-ons for games like Forza Horizon when they would if they weren't getting the base game for free.

Game Pass is an absolutely ridiculous bargain, and I've been really impressed with how many newer games we've been getting. It's really cool to see games like Just Cause 4 and Metro Exodus, both of those are games that looked interesting but I had no intention of paying $60 to try either.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
i can't get over what an amazing deal it is. so many reasons already listed on here.

i've converted to ultimate for full 36 months so june 2022 all for 1 eur because i had a couple of years of gold and game pass separately now they've combined their length for the 36 max so actually even more value for me...

incredible

Put it this way. Forza horizon 4 looked like a game I would probably enjoy but would never pay full price for in case it wasn't for me.
But it's on gamepass. And Microsoft just announced that LEGO expansion during e3. And what'd I do? Downloaded horizon immediately to try it out, and before you know it, I bought the "expansion pass" for a game I don't even own. I got gamepass ultimate through 2021 for $50, which is an incredible deal. Microsoft also got a good deal on me paying $30 for dlc I won't have access to if gamepass expires...
Edit: beat by poster above me lol

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
These Game Pass promotions are amazing. I have Game Pass ultimate now through the end of 2021, almost guaranteeing that I HAVE to buy Scarlet to take advantage of the subscription. I can't be the only one who HAS to buy the next Xbox due to Game Pass alone.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
These Game Pass promotions are amazing. I have Game Pass ultimate now through the end of 2021, almost guaranteeing that I HAVE to buy Scarlet to take advantage of the subscription. I can't be the only one who HAS to buy the next Xbox due to Game Pass alone.
You're not alone.

I figure that I'll have a year of Ultimate left if I get Scarlett at launch. So that should be free Halo, and whatever else comes out by MS and friends for the system for the first year.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'm loving it. I got a great deal on ultimate (I think I got like 18 months for $1) along with a great selection of games that will probably only get better. The only thing that I worry about with the model is the first party games showing up on game pass day one. I mean it's great for me as a consumer, but it would be like putting a new Avengers film out on Netflix day 1. You are missing out on a ton of high margin revenue. Oh well, I'll take it.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

The beauty about Scarlet is you just buy the console and zero games if you have GP. You save so much money on day 1.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Gamepass is a blessing for brazil

Put it this way. Forza horizon 4 looked like a game I would probably enjoy but would never pay full price for in case it wasn't for me.
But it's on gamepass. And Microsoft just announced that LEGO expansion during e3. And what'd I do? Downloaded horizon immediately to try it out, and before you know it, I bought the "expansion pass" for a game I don't even own. I got gamepass ultimate through 2021 for $50, which is an incredible deal. Microsoft also got a good deal on me paying $30 for dlc I won't have access to if gamepass expires...
Edit: beat by poster above me lol

i bought the DLC for Rise (of the tomb raider) without having the game too. Probably going to do the same with Shadow.
Crazy how the mind works, we end up buying DLC for a game we dont even own but still dont feel ripped off, au contraire, we feel like were cheating Microsoft instead

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
What's the best deal for Windows GamePass right now?

You can buy 36 months of Live Gold for $180 ($60/year) or cheaper if you find a third party deal and then convert it all to Game Pass Ultimate for $1. This gives Live Gold, PC Game Pass, and Console Game Pass for what amounts to $5/month over 3 years. The conversion is promotional and could end any time so make sure it's available before picking up 3 years of Live.

Links and guide here:

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I'm loving it. I got a great deal on ultimate (I think I got like 18 months for $1) along with a great selection of games that will probably only get better. The only thing that I worry about with the model is the first party games showing up on game pass day one. I mean it's great for me as a consumer, but it would be like putting a new Avengers film out on Netflix day 1. You are missing out on a ton of high margin revenue. Oh well, I'll take it.

Sales for games have gone up as per Spencer with GP

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could stream all those games. I want to try so many, but I don't want to download so many. :/

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
You can buy 36 months of Live Gold for $180 ($60/year) or cheaper if you find a third party deal and then convert it all to Game Pass Ultimate for $1. This gives Live Gold, PC Game Pass, and Console Game Pass for what amounts to $5/month over 3 years. The conversion is promotional and could end any time so make sure it's available before picking up 3 years of Live.

Links and guide here:

Need to do this tomo.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This amazing service is coming through HUGE in the back half of the year - 4 games that I really want:
- Blair Witch
- Gears 5
- The Outer Worlds
- Life is Strange 2 (4 out of 5 episodes on Game Pass by end of year)

That's some serious value right there, just based on the big announced Day 1 games alone.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Gowans how many of the PC titles have Xbox achievements?

So, that list is based on going through each page on the Xbox App and seeing what features are listed, so the accuracy is dependent on how accurate the game pass itself is.

Also, I based the UWP or Win32 based on if the game said it cannot be installed on a Windows 10 device in S-mode. S-mode only runs UWP apps, so if it can't run it, it's probably Win32.

There ya go.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
As good as it is now the best thing about it is when the new consoles come out, you get every XGS game on launch day.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This amazing service is coming through HUGE in the back half of the year - 4 games that I really want:
- Blair Witch
- Gears 5
- The Outer Worlds
- Life is Strange 2 (4 out of 5 episodes on Game Pass by end of year)

That's some serious value right there, just based on the big announced Day 1 games alone.

Um, holy shit - I actually didn't realise The Outer Worlds would be on Game Pass, I'm at a loss for words..

Nov 1, 2017
The timing for me upgrading to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate was just perfect. I had just a month shy of the 3 year limit on Xbox Live and a month left to go on Game Pass. I was planning to just let Game Pass expire so i could catch up on my games backlog for stuff i actually put money down for but when i realised converting would essentially give me 3 years of Game Pass for free it was a no brainer. And thanks to Microsoft Rewards i've not been paying for Xbox Live gold for a while either as i kept redeeming codes. I feel like i've totally cheated the system but hey, if MS are cool with it I sure am.

So many games now to play. Where on earth will i find the time?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
So. I know this won't matter to a lot of people, but apparently like, half of the games don't support achievements, even games that have xbox counterparts.

This is a pretty big downer.

Hollowknight has it just...ripped out. You can open the achievements page from the main menu and there's just nothing there.

"A bit of time" sounds like...maybe they'll get them eventually, but what about the games there now though?

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, you can use your redemption codes for PC Game Pass but to do so you need to then upgrade to Ultimate for $1. Ultimate is all the services combined. If you just want to use PC Game Pass then use only that portion of Ultimate though I would still claim the monthly Gold games in case you someday buy another XBox console.

So redeem your codes and any other memberships to extend your membership, then go to XBox.com then upgrade for $1 so your redemption codes can then be used for Game Pass PC. Got it?

This video should explain it well if you do not get what I'm saying....

Thank you very much for this! Worked like a charm!

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody know when the $1 conversion offer is set to expire?

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
This might just be me wanting this, but is there a list that shows what gamepass games are exclusive to pc and Xbox? Eg monster hunter is only on Xbox etc Microsoft hasn't updated their list so it's pretty inaccurate eg void bastard listed as only on Xbox.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Does anybody know when the $1 conversion offer is set to expire?

I'm pretty sure it ends today. The whole Xbox E3 sale ends today anyway.

Tangentially related, I bought the $1 PC Game Pass a week ago and love it. Still saw the $1 conversion to Ultimate was going so I bought a year of Gold and went to convert it, and it would only let me upgrade for $15. Still a crazy good deal but I'm somewhat sad now.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I'm pretty sure it ends today. The whole Xbox E3 sale ends today anyway.

Tangentially related, I bought the $1 PC Game Pass a week ago and love it. Still saw the $1 conversion to Ultimate was going so I bought a year of Gold and went to convert it, and it would only let me upgrade for $15. Still a crazy good deal but I'm somewhat sad now.
Might be worth a new thread to catch anyone who has missed it.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I am new to game pass and after the nice ms press conference i thought i'll give it a go. It was 1€ for the first month so why not...

Omg im blown away by the value this service offers. I bought 3 additional month from CD Keys for 15€ and am planning to stay subscribed after that. This service actually made me consider the next Xbox over the ps5....it is that good

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone try Shenmue? my DS4 doesn't work in it. Every other game it's detected but not this. Don't really feel like playing on the keyboard lol

Twentieth

Oct 26, 2017
So I just installed and tested Hydro Thunder Hurricane on my PC through Game Pass, despite being not being listed as a game available for PC on the official lists. Any other games which are "hidden" like this?