• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hardware decline is huge. this would've been normal this late but Microsoft released a hardware refresh mid-gen which is Xbox One X,

My armchair analysis and spidey sense tells me it seems it doesn't matter how old or new the current platform is, if next gen is around the corner and being hyped up by the platform holder itself, people are gonna stop buying consoles until then.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Why would we throw out random guesses? "Millions" in 2018 means > 2 million, and they've given statements about it doubling since then. Certainly we can make a reasonable inference. Given available info I think the floor is about 6 million and I think the ceiling is probably around 12 million. 10 million would be on the higher end of what's likely, but certainly not unrealistic.

Sony's done very well with PS+. On the other hand they're now way behind in the game subscription category despite launching years earlier and having a larger customer base to build on, so not sure what your point is there.
Saying the number is between 6-12 million is a big enough range to label it guessing. We have no idea, and that's because they don't want us to know. If they're willing to say "millions" they would most certainly be willing to say "more than 10 million" if they could.

Sony apparently has a million plus PSNOW subscribers, but then again they also didn't give away long term subscriptions for a dollar. I'm only going there because there seems to be a desire amongst some to suggest these hidden Xbox numbers are always higher than we think they are, while the other company continues to report big numbers and doesn't keep us guessing.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
That hardware drop, ouch.
Wishing them all the luck in the universe for next gen!

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I realize it's become popular to bring up Amazon when people talk about unprofitable companies, but I don't think you need me to lay out the massive differences between a company like Netflix and a company like Amazon, that literally sells almost anything you might need in your life. They're not comparable stories at all.

And yet you compared Game Pass to Netflix despite the fact that Game Pass as a service has additional revenue streams aside from the subscription dollars. Make up your mind.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Saying the number is between 6-12 million is a big enough range to label it guessing. We have no idea, and that's because they don't want us to know. If they're willing to say "millions" they would most certainly be willing to say "more than 10 million" if they could.

Sony apparently has a million plus PSNOW subscribers, but then again they also didn't give away long term subscriptions for a dollar. I'm only going there because there seems to be a desire amongst some to suggest these hidden Xbox numbers are always higher than we think they are, while the other company continues to report big numbers and doesn't keep us guessing.

I don't think that's guessing at all. If they had never said anything, it would be completely logical to say "well MS has fewer consoles than Sony and Game Pass has fewer games than PS Now, so they probably have around the same or less than PS Now." Instead it's pretty obvious that they're way ahead of Sony here because of the info they've shared.

If you think the Game Pass numbers are lower than 6 million then, yeah, these hidden numbers are probably higher than you think they are. It's not a weird "desire amongst some to suggest..." anything. It's just logic. Why do you have such a strong desire to suggest it's lower despite the evidence?

pepperono

Nov 12, 2017
Netflix is only "profitable" if you play along with their funny corporate math. They continue to gain and maintain customers because they continue to spend tons of money to crank out content. Eventually they'll have to slow down spending and then we'll see how their business model will really work. Until then we don't know how this is going to ultimately play out.
"Funny corporate math" = basic accounting, or GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles). Which every public company in the US uses.

StudioTan is correct in what he says, and there is no "semantics" or anything about it. You can be a profitable company that still takes on huge debt to increase growth. The payments on that debt are what will come out of your revenue to affect profits.

You may need to adjust what you think "profitable" means. Or take an accounting class.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love how everyone in the thread is an accountant with expertise in Balance Sheet analysis.
I mean, that's the problem with being vague. Can't blame the people to spin it how they want to fit their agenda. That's just how people were, are and will be. It will probably get worse in the next months until launch and I doubt it'll get better after launch, especially if Microsoft will be more competitive than this gen.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Funny corporate math" = basic accounting, or GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles). Which every public company in the US uses.

StudioTan is correct in what he says, and there is no "semantics" or anything about it. You can be a profitable company that still takes on huge debt to increase growth. The payments on that debt are what will come out of your revenue to affect profits.

You may need to adjust what you think "profitable" means. Or take an accounting class.
Isn't that what Amazon did for many years? Investing all their money into growth?

pepperono

Nov 12, 2017
Isn't that what Amazon did for many years? Investing all their money into growth?
I guess so, according to what others are saying. I haven't followed Amazon's financial statements but it would make sense.

Some companies like to sit on their cash. Others don't, and use it to try to grow their business further or diversify.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I don't think that's guessing at all. If they had never said anything, it would be completely logical to say "well MS has fewer consoles than Sony and Game Pass has fewer games than PS Now, so they probably have around the same or less than PS Now." Instead it's pretty obvious that they're way ahead of Sony here because of the info they've shared.

If you think the Game Pass numbers are lower than 6 million then, yeah, these hidden numbers are probably higher than you think they are. It's not a weird "desire amongst some to suggest..." anything. It's just logic. Why do you have such a strong desire to suggest it's lower despite the evidence?
What evidence are you referring to? "Millions" followed by assumptions?

I understand this is an accepted accounting practice.

My main point was that streaming/subscription services rely on companies continuing to spend to maintain customers, and when that spending is on credit there are limits to how long you can keep that up.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's both, actually.

Microsoft cited a third-party title when gaming revenue was flat in Q1, 2020 earnings. RDR2 wasn't out during Q1, 2019. Fortnite really started growing during June 2018 and through the end of the year, exactly when new players are spending a lot on skins etc. Microsoft's guidance for Q3, 2020 also notes gaming will be impacted again by "lower transaction volume on a third-party title."

Ah so "transaction volume" would refer to MTX rather than game sales?

pepperono

Nov 12, 2017
I understand this is an accepted accounting practice.

My main point was that streaming/subscription services rely on companies continuing to spend to maintain customers, and when that spending is on credit there are limits to how long you can keep that up.
I don't have an opinion either way on what is sustainable for a streaming service. It's all relatively new types of businesses.

Netflix is banking on growth continuing to support their spend, though, since they're planning on spending $17 billion or more this year alone to develop content. Can't say who is right in this situation.

I will say though, that content does matter in terms of which subs people are going to shell out for. That's why I believe MS also has this strategy in mind with their recent purchases of studios and Gamepass and all that which is being discussed.

Invest to grow your user base, get the content that makes them join and want to stay, and continue to grow your business doing this until it hits that critical mass and suddenly you're raking in the money monthly/yearly.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's right up their alley. They are one of the leaders when it concerns this. If they shift to it they'd be leveraging a massive strength that they have. They help usher in a new wave of gaming. Best case scenario analogy here for them is Nintendo 64 cartridges (PS5, if it ain't broke why fix it) while PSX moved to CDs (Xbox as a service would be "disruptive tech" in the industry and improving tech)
Xbox is in an enviable position to have a parent company that is willing to burn money (billions) on it without expectation of a return.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All that'll matter to them is that subscription growth. The more they can hook before Sony or Nintendo does their own, the better for them.

I do wonder about how Gamepass makes it's money though and whether it follows the same 'whales' model where there is a small percentage who sub and spend ridiculous money on full price games and DLC too.

They make a net loss with me and my wife as we are now buying less games, and the games we do want we'll only sub for the months we want. So I've gone from spending ~£100+ a year in their ecosystem to a small fraction of that. Given that Microsoft are paying the developers up front for GamePass games (I believe, I could be wrong) then it's an interesting situation.

I'm surely in the minority.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I love how people assume MS is burning money on Xbox.
At this point it's easy to believe MS is in a burning money part (also known as "investing"). I mean all those XGS are not being bought for free or staffed for free you know.
Doesn't mean it's something bad for MS to do. This will all turn into money later on if all goes well.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
For a big successful business like MS it comes down to opportunity cost though. Even profitable investments look bad if other more profitable opportunities were available.
If other more profitable opportunities are available then microsoft has more than enough money in the bank to pursue them, they dont need to cut xbox to get money to do that

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
It's really disappointing that even after all these years and all these pro consumer decisions of recent and listening to their audience there is still a rabid band of people wishing MS/the Xbox brand ill

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
At this point it's easy to believe MS is in a burning money part (also known as "investing"). I mean all those XGS are not being bought for free or staffed for free you know.
Doesn't mean it's something bad for MS to do. This will all turn into money later on if all goes well.

Yep, as good content is the best way to attract audience.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not a great result but expected as we near the end of the console life cycle.

I thought Gamepass would improve these numbers but I guess it did not in any major noticeable fashion

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I say this all the time but they need to put out new hardware every year that is more powerful than the last year's hardware. This gen is going much longer than was healthy for Xbox.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
How has Microsoft not sold Xbox by now?

Satya is slipping.
Lmao xD. poor MS. :(

The chart of Microsoft's share price over the last five years disagrees.
Lol. He was being sarcastic.

If other more profitable opportunities are available then microsoft has more than enough money in the bank to pursue them, they dont need to cut xbox to get money to do that

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty crazy that Fornite slowing down is having a measurable effect on the overall sales.

Sony will be feeling the same thing too

Oct 25, 2017
It's really disappointing that even after all these years and all these pro consumer decisions of recent and listening to their audience there is still a rabid band of people wishing MS/the Xbox brand ill
I wouldn't call anything "pro consumer" as long as Microsoft Store (the Windows 10 Store) is the mess it is. Microsoft needs to stop pushing their UWP crap already, it hurts Game Pass value a lot. I regret doing that Gold-to-Ultimate conversion because I think the service sucks in its current state.

I'll use my two remaining years of GP to play some cheap Microsoft games but there's zero chance I'll ever pay full price for it if nothing changes.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I wouldn't call anything "pro consumer" as long as Microsoft Store (the Windows 10 Store) is the mess it is. Microsoft needs to stop pushing their UWP crap already, it hurts Game Pass value a lot. I regret doing that Gold-to-Ultimate conversion because I think the service sucks in its current state.

I'll use my two remaining years of GP to play some cheap Microsoft games but there's zero chance I'll ever pay full price for it if nothing changes.
We must be using different gamepass apps because the one I use on my laptop is responsive and easy to use as a launcher. Also they are releasing their majors on steam aswell if people want to pay for them. I guess you could get gamepass on steam but that would require valves authority aswell

Oct 25, 2017
We must be using different gamepass apps because the one I use on my laptop is responsive and easy to use as a launcher. Also they are releasing their majors on steam aswell if people want to pay for them. I guess you could get gamepass on steam but that would require valves authority aswell
As long as it works and all you want to do is play, you will probably have no issues.

But the moment you need to modify something or the app fails for some reason, you're in trouble. Microsoft Store (and Game Pass) locks games inside folders that you cannot mod in any way, giving permission errors if you attempt to do anything. And there have been many reports of the app just failing to delete a game - and because you can't do anything to the folders, you can't delete anything manually either and the disk space is lost forever.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
OP could have stated Game Pass growth, it's generally a bit barebones.

I don't think these numbers are surprising at all. We're all ready for next gen. Crazy how much impact Fortnite and RDR2 alone can have on overall businesses.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I think Microsoft really aren't telling the truth when it comes to game pass and how it affects their sales.

Maybe I'm wrong but I have a feeling that it costs them a lot right now and it's part of a very high risk plan that may work out for them in the next gen if it gives them a strong start.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, this quite shows that console sales remain extremely important if they want to keep Xbox successful. Microsoft would not have made any of the Fortnite and RDR 2 money if they hadn't sold consoles to people. Microsoft executives can say stuff like "the future is in ecosystems" all they want, but on PC those two games are on their own launchers and make Microsoft no money.