• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
With the creation of Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Game Pass for PC and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, Microsoft is now offering 5 service tiers to players which can be a bit confusing for non core gamers.

Xbox Live : friends, Xbox store, achievements - it's available for free on every platform
Xbox Live Gold : multiplayer + 'free' games, only on Xbox consoles (multiplayer on Xbox Live is included on PC, Switch, Android, iOS) - Microsoft only make its core customers pay for online multiplayer

Xbox Game Pass : game subscription service but only for Xbox consoles (sometimes dubbed as Xbox Game Pass for console)
Xbox Game Pass for PC : same thing but only for Windows 10 PC
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate : XGP + XGP PC + XBL Gold

If you look at how Sony is handling stuff, you have PS+ for multiplayer and free games, and then PS Now that you can access from PC and PS4 and doesn't actually require PS+ to play multiplayer. Only 2 tiers.

I feel like Microsoft Xbox services is starting to be a bit crowded and should be streamlined for the next generation. Thoughts ?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
With the creation of Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Game Pass for PC and Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, Microsoft is now offering 5 service tiers to players which can be a bit confusing for non core gamers.

Xbox Live : friends, Xbox store, achievements - it's available for free on every platform
Xbox Live Gold : multiplayer + 'free' games, only on Xbox consoles (multiplayer on Xbox Live is included on PC, Switch, Android, iOS) - Microsoft only make its core customers pay for online multiplayer

Xbox Game Pass : game subscription service but only for Xbox consoles (sometimes dubbed as Xbox Game Pass for console)
Xbox Game Pass for PC : same thing but only for Windows 10 PC
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate : XGP + XGP PC + XBL Gold

If you look at how Sony is handling stuff, you have PS+ for multiplayer and free games, and then PS Now that you can access from PC and PS4 and doesn't actually require PS+ to play multiplayer. Only 2 tiers.

I feel like Microsoft Xbox services is starting to be a bit crowded and should be streamlined for the next generation. Thoughts ?

1. It seems like a lot, It should not really take any time to understand what those are.

2. Any reason why you aren't including the free tier for PS? You've included that for Xbox.

that said, it seems more likely that Gold could get phased out in favor of Gamepass or something.
Also, XCloud will expand that service count later this year :)

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's really not that confusing.

Gamepass is the game subscription.

Gold is the multiplayer subscription.

Ultimate is a bundle of the two.

There has to be some sort of distinction between PC and console Gamepass because they contain different games - but it's not a difficult distinction to understand. It's literally in the name.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Thoughts? Hmmm, just buy Ultimate and enjoy everything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019

There has to be some sort of distinction between PC Gamepass and console because they contain different games - but it's not a difficult distinction to understand. It's literally in the name.
I personally don't find it confusing at all, probably like most of the players on Era. But you have to admit for someone that doesn't know a lot about console gaming, it can be.

T0kenAussie

Banned
Jan 15, 2020
Your being obtuse with this OP and it's coming off as disingenuous

GPU is the streamlined service. Ms also gives people choice if they don't want to go all in on that and select the service they want.

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, I agree. I find the whole ecosystem very confusing. It doesn't help that there is also the Xbox Windows 10 app (good luck googling problems you have with that), the Xbox Console Companion App for Windows 10, Xbox Console Streaming (stream games from your Xbox to your PC or phone), and Project xCloud (stream games from the cloud to your devices).

There's just so much stuff, I personally have a hard time keeping track of it all.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yes, I agree. I find the whole ecosystem very confusing. It doesn't help that there is also the Xbox Windows 10 app (good luck googling problems you have with that), the Xbox Console Companion App for Windows 10, Xbox Console Streaming (stream games from your Xbox to your PC or phone), and Project xCloud (stream games from the cloud to your devices).

There's just so much stuff, I personally have a hard time keeping track of it all.

You seem to understand it all quite well though.

Jan 2, 2018
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Xbox Live Gold should go away,paying for online multiplayer simply should not be a thing in 2020.
Won't happen I know,but it should.
Microsoft should really streamline their services like you said,and I wonder how they'll fit xCloud in there.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

why are you conflating apps and services across console and PC? And even at that, How is that confusing at all to you?

are you really struggling to differentiate between apps and subscription services? Especially since many of these services overlap and you probably are on just one of those?

You seem to understand it all quite well though.

My thoughts exactly.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't find it confusing at all, probably like most of the players on Era. But you have to admit for someone that doesn't know a lot about console gaming, it can be.
I dunno.

If you have no familiarity with any of it then sure - it'd be confusing at first glance. However, it'd only take 2 minutes of reading into it to understand the distinctions.

There's not really 5 tiers. There are two distinct subscription services which can be bundled with Ultimate.

The only "tiered" service is Xbox Live with the free service and Gold.

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Xbox Live Gold should go away,paying for online multiplayer simply should not be a thing in 2020.
Microsoft should really streamline their services like you said,and I wonder how they'll fit xCloud in there.

I agree. Of course I get why Microsoft is doing that, they get a lot of money right now from XBLG subscribers but when you think about it : Multiplayer is free on Xbox Live on Switch, PC, Android, iOS and even PS4 (Minecraft). That's kind of weird that the only place where you have to pay is actually the Xbox consoles.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The only thing I think is maybe a little confusing is Games with Gold existing alongside Game Pass. That seems like something that can maybe go away.

Maybe XBLG will just go away.

I don't like the term "concern trolling" but do you have evidence of actual confusion in the marketplace? You mention "non core gamers" potentially being confused but honestly I don't think non-core gamers need to understand the finer distinctions between GP and GPPC; they're probably not playing on both console and PC anyway.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably drop Gold for Multiplayer and instead let you sub to play your games over xcloud remotely.
Xbox Live Free:
Multiplayer gaming
Stream your Xcloud games to a PC on your local network

Xbox Game Pass
Sub for Games, xcloud anywhere

Game Pass Ultimate
Sub for Games (including ones each month you can keep)
Xcloud anywhere.
Other Mixer perks

if there's a time to do it now, it's when they can reset a few of these services at the launch of a new generation

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I agree. Of course I get why Microsoft is doing that, they get a lot of money right now from XBLG subscribers but when you think about it : Multiplayer is free on Xbox Live on Switch, PC, Android, iOS and even PS4 (Minecraft). That's kind of weird that the only place where you have to pay is actually the Xbox consoles.

This, to me, is a stronger point in favor of change than what you outlined in the OP.

I think decoupling access to "the network" from access to subscription content might be a good move for Microsoft. Axe Games with Gold and make online multiplayer free and then sell access to the games. I don't think they'll actually do this, because they love that sweet sweet subscriber revenue and two subscriptions are more $$$ than one, but I think it might be a good move. Microsoft's not the market leader and the market leader already doesn't charge for online multiplayer on some of the most important games.

It would be an interesting reversal if online multiplayer was free on the XSX, and not on the PS5.

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
This, to me, is a stronger point in favor of change than what you outlined in the OP.

I think decoupling access to "the network" from access to subscription content might be a good move for Microsoft. Axe Games with Gold and make online multiplayer free and then sell access to the games. I don't think they'll actually do this, because they love that sweet sweet subscriber revenue and two subscriptions are more $$$ than one, but I think it might be a good move. Microsoft's not the market leader and the market leader already doesn't charge for online multiplayer on some of the most important games.

It would be an interesting reversal if online multiplayer was free on the XSX, and not on the PS5.
I could see that happening as a "pro consumer" move from Microsoft. Especially if they start offering yet another subscription service with xCloud.

Oct 25, 2017
One confusion I've seen is with "Xbox Live" vs "Xbox Live Gold", when Halo was announced for PC. There were quite many confused people on Reddit and the Steam forum wondering if they need to "pay for Xbox Live" to play Halo online on PC, because the Steam page says that an Xbox Live account is required. People aren't saying Live Gold when they refer to the paid service, they're just saying "Live". It seems to have been cleared up though, as Halo MCC is one of Steam's top selling games. I hope nobody is paying for Gold thinking they need it to play!

There's also the logical issue of you needing to pay for Gold on console but not on PC. It's the same game played on the same servers using the same Microsoft account, why do you only need to pay for one version?

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Thats a completely different thing that is not even avaliable to like, 90% of the world?
Xbox is non existent in like 90% of the world.
The All Access program is in the US and it has come to some european countries (at least in France I think), so it's still a service bundling several things to be added to that long and confusing list.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The All Access program is in the US and it has come to some european countries (at least in France I think), so it's still a service bundling several things to be added to that long and confusing list.

Its a physical service to offer consoles, it have nothing to do with gold or gamepass. Its not confusing in the slightest unless you make an herculean effort to be confused by it cause "oh my god the word xbox is in it too MY POOR MIND". And no, xbox is not "non existant" in 90% of the world despite having weaker sales.

OP
OP
CliveLH

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Its a physical service to offer consoles, it have nothing to do with gold or gamepass. Its not confusing in the slightest unless you make an herculean effort to be confused by it cause "oh my god the word xbox is in it too MY POOR MIND". And no, xbox is not "non existant" in 90% of the world despite having weaker sales.
He means that 90% of the World doesn't have access to Xbox All Access program (I think it's US+CA only for now ?)

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All this proves is that if you try hard enough you can make anything sound confusing.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
This reads like one of these threads questioning console naming.

I am of the opinion that Microsofts services are good because they offer so many options.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
it have nothing to do with gold or gamepass.
It literally bundles a console with XBL gold and gamepass for console and gamepass for PC (meaning it's gamepass ultimate). And about the gamepass ultimate, will it not include Project Xcloud as well, I thought I've read that?

It is somewhat related to that mess I'm sorry if you won't admit it, it is another subscription bundling a console and another service that bundles 3 services (+ a fourth if it includes Xcloud).

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
It literally bundles a console with XBL gold and gamepass for console and gamepass for PC (meaning it's gamepass ultimate). And about the gamepass ultimate, will it not include Project Xcloud as well, I thought I've read that?

It is somewhat related to that mess I'm sorry if you won't admit it, it is another subscription bundling a console and another service that bundles 3 services (+ a fourth if it includes Xcloud).

It's the only service that includes a console. At all. And it has very, very limited coverage. I'm sorry you're trying your hardest to be confused by it as well.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
It's the only service that includes a console. At all. And it has very, very limited coverage. I'm sorry you're trying your hardest to be confused by it as well.
I'm obviously not confused because I follow the (Xbox related) news, it becomes confusing for a new customer to see all of those options altogether with brand names that are not very explicit, that's all.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
i don't think people would find this confusing at all. membership tiers are an extremely common thing in every aspect of life, it's not that difficult to parse them and it's not like microsoft is withholding any information about them

the idea that "non core gamers" would be confused by this is insulting. people aren't that stupid

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
TBH, I don't think a "new customer" will see the option of Xbox All Access. A non-core user would just go to Target and buy an Xbox. They're not going to see a note on the back of a box saying anything about Xbox All Access being required. They're not going to hear about a new game being available from day one on Xbox All Access. It's not really a consumer-facing brand, in the same way that Xbox Live and Game Pass are, beyond a mention on Xbox.com and on Amazon, their partner for the deal. It's just something they're trying out.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019

There has to be some sort of distinction between PC and console Gamepass because they contain different games - but it's not a difficult distinction to understand. It's literally in the name.

Gold = Multiplayer is hardly obvious. A bad name in my opinion. Whereas GamePass at least makes sense when you learn what it is.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
TBH, I don't think a "new customer" will see the option of Xbox All Access. A non-core user would just go to Target and buy an Xbox. They're not going to see a note on the back of a box saying anything about Xbox All Access being required. They're not going to hear about a new game being available from day one on Xbox All Access. It's not really a consumer-facing brand, in the same way that Xbox Live and Game Pass are, beyond a mention on Xbox.com and on Amazon, their partner for the deal. It's just something they're trying out.
You've got a point, and that's not really putting Microsoft's communication skills under a good light either (and having all of those services to manage is certainly not easing their task).

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Gold = Multiplayer is hardly obvious. A bad name in my opinion. Whereas GamePass at least makes sense when you learn what it is.

It would be bad if it was just called that. But it's Xbox Live Gold. Its attached to Live, which makes it clear its about multiplayer, and a tier higher than Silver, the one where you can get live but not play online. Its a similar principle to PS+ (you pay, you get more).

I think it made more sense when there was gold and silver, but is the free account ever called that anymore?

yes

Oct 27, 2017

There it is. Not very difficult to understand

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be bad if it was just called that. But it's Xbox Live Gold. Its attached to Live, which makes it clear its about multiplayer, and a tier higher than Silver, the one where you can get live but not play online. Its a similar principle to PS+ (you pay, you get more).

yes

If you look it up, any reference to XBL Silver is legacy, and it's just referred to as the free version. So calling it Gold is a bit odd in 2020.

I do think they'll rebrand it somehow, or remove it next gen.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
If you think this isn't confusing you have yet to experience the true naivety of the general public. They are typically uninformed and need to have things explained to them and made cut and dry. The Microsoft pass structure is easy for us to understand because we are actively involved in our hobby, but little Billy's mom won't know where to start.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
If you think this isn't confusing you have yet to experience the true naivety of the general public. They are typically uninformed and need to have things explained to them and made cut and dry. The Microsoft pass structure is easy for us to understand because we are actively involved in our hobby, but little Billy's mom won't know where to start.
Well that's the case for anything where someone is uninformed. Of course if they don't know anything about it they'll find it confusing.

It's not exactly hard to explain how Xbox's subscriptions work though.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

this is quite the reach.

I'm obviously not confused because I follow the (Xbox related) news, it becomes confusing for a new customer to see all of those options altogether with brand names that are not very explicit, that's all.

where will a new customer see Xbox All Access lumped together with Gamepass?

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
If you look it up, any reference to XBL Silver is legacy, and it's just referred to as the free version. So calling it Gold is a bit odd in 2020.

I still get prompts of xbox live silver and xbox live gold when i dont renew gold, at least in portuguese-br