X vs Zero

• X

Votes: 180 49.2%
  • Zero

Votes: 186 50.8%

• Total voters

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I think the poll results speak for themselves.
X is my favorite character of all time, and has been ever since I finished the first Mega Man X game as a kid. So, for me it's X by a country mile.

I do love Zero too, don't get me wrong, and he and X make up the most badass, powerful duo in all of gaming. But when it comes to one or the other, it's X every time. His very name is a variable that represents his infinite potential, potential that is realized through his unique capacity to suffer and feel empathy for others, which is not something Zero (or any other Reploid, that we know of) is capable of, at least not in the same way.

I also love his growth throughout the series. He starts off in X1 as a rookie with Zero as his mentor, and by the end of X1 he's grown so tremendously that he's equal to Zero in power and remains so throughout the series. Much later on, in one of X6's endings, Zero himself admits that X has surpassed him. In X7 he falters as his ideals push him to leave the battlefield, but he comes back more powerful than ever once you unlock him and is enormously powerful in X8. Finally, in a really cool example of things coming full circle, X steps into the mentor role for the Zero series, guiding his best friend as Zero once guided him.

Both of them are tremendously powerful, no doubt, and neither one would ever win in a complete blowout, but at the end of the day, as powerful as Zero is there are hard limits to that power; and not only that, Zero is shown repeatedly to be rather fragile, dying or being taken out of commission several times throughout the series. X's potential strength, on the other hand, is limitless, and we see that brought to bear in his various armors throughout the series, which extend his capabilities beyond anything Zero is capable of (mostly). X's weakness is that he holds himself back because of his deep aversion to war and violence, but his unique capacity to care, suffer, and feel empathy for others means that when the chips are down and the occasion calls for it, none can compare to X.

I fucking love X. He's just impossibly badass, and he's also a lot cooler-looking than Zero, whether it's his default form or his incredibly slick Command Mission design.

67894496_364969060865856_8221021219378429952_n.jpg
Excellent post (though I think X and Zero are equally cool looking. :P). The cutscene at the end of Zero 2 where
X's body gets shattered into pieces
was yet another role-reversal literally ten years in the making.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Why not both? I hate having to choose between two very popular characters.

Though Zero gets a lot more original & victory soundtracks than X does.

Last edited:

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
X is too emo, but Zero is too edgy.

I guess I'd choose X as an adult. As a child, I would've chosen Zero.

Oct 25, 2017
In the X games? Zero, just because of X4.

And of course the Zero series is better than the X series by a mile as well.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I can't choose either, as they're both great characters.

What I love about the both of them is that you can see the personalities of Light and Wily in them, and that's what makes them work so well together.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
The X series was like an edgification of the classic series and Zero is the epitome... and I love it all. <3

Red > Blue
Long Blonde > Short Brunette (hidden under helmet)
Z-Saber > X-Buster

Zero just takes it everywhere. Plus that theme when he comes up, too cool.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
This armor design is super dope. I've never played Command Mission. I've read mixed things about. Worth tracking down? It's non-canon right?
The story is about as thin as any other X game and the maps are mostly a series of corridors, but if you want a mechanically interesting game that does an unnecessarily good job of adapting X's mechanics to an RPG setting and has cool character design, you're in for a good time.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This armor design is super dope. I've never played Command Mission. I've read mixed things about. Worth tracking down? It's non-canon right?

It's pretty fun. Doesn't set the world on fire but it's a comfy, simple RPG with great visuals and a decent plot for a Mega Man. First game with Blue Ocean voice acting that was way better than the game deserved. If you get the secret Hyper Modes the game becomes cake. Decent post game challenges with Tails Clan boss fights.

Oh and the OST is goddamn ace. But I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it. 20, 30 bucks max on ebay or something.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I gave my vote to Zero. Just a badass that doesn't listen to lectures from losers:

Loving the increase in MM topics lately

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.

It's all right. It's nothing particularly special as JRPGs go, other than Mega Man X's mechanics/lore/characters being adapted surprisingly well to a JRPG framework. The game itself is just kind of average, though, maybe slightly above average. It's pretty much the definition of a 5/10 game for me (assuming you're actually properly utilizing the full 10-point scale). Not great, not awful, just thoroughly average. It's a neat curiosity, but I wouldn't go too far out of your way for it. Definitely not worth more than $30.