• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Uh I'll dispute that...in WWE? Sure.

Worldwide? Nah lol...Liger/Suzuki is awesome.

I don't even really find it that interesting TBH but that's just me...I think the mask looks dumb, the way everyone has to act around him and sell looks so cartoonish and goofy, and they're already overexposing him.

I mean look at this....

LOL.

At least it's something different and they're trying things. My floor for being impressed by WWE effort is super low with how they've conditioned people.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
At least it's something different and they're trying things. My floor for being impressed by WWE effort is super low with how they've conditioned people.

True...I liked where it started and where I thought it was headed where it'd be more cerebral and you'd have Bray playing it off like he didn't know who the fiend was and no one would talk to him or associate with him because everyone knew and he was just oblivious. Kinda like a Jekyll and Hyde type of deal or split personalities or whatever...until it slowly consumed him and he went over the edge.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
NXT did 1M, down 170K from last week.

Next week will be interesting as we'll see what kind of hour 2 decline/improvement there is on what will be a loaded show, plus the impact of the first head to head show with AEW.

Interesting to note that the 18-49 demographic which was very good last week took a big tumble.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
NXT did 1M, down 170K from last week.

Next week will be interesting as we'll see what kind of hour 2 decline/improvement there is on what will be a loaded show, plus the impact of the first head to head show with AEW.

Interesting to note that the 18-49 demographic which was very good last week took a big tumble.

Still see NXT "winning" next week, as they have fresher and more interesting matches (IMO), but I'll be watching and cheering on AEW.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
I started watching RAW for the first time since the "RAW Reunion" show. Made it about 2 hours. New stage, new announcers, but still felt the same. WWE is not going to win me back with changing the window dressing.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, not sure how much longer they can afford to dip into their legends pool to pop 400,000 viewers. And the Brock pool too. I'm sure they'll try, though.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I would have thought people would tune out when they saw how shit the new stage looks.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
The Monday Night Football schedule so far hasn't exactly been stellar (nor have many of the games). Next three weeks have some decently high profile games coming up though.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah MNF was a stinker this week between two 0-3 teams. That and it being the season premiere made it pop some. They won't hold at this level. Smack down is what will be interesting to see.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Bro I have a feeling that SmackDown is about to have laughable numbers on Friday. No one watches TV on Friday.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Friday is generally a death sentence for most other shows

Exactly. Wrestling already gets pretty low numbers as is. Friday + Bad wrestling show = bad ratings.

The one thing they have going for them is the constant pub they get from Football games. Every game on Fox this year has mentioned WWE in some capacity. Not sure if there is much cross over there, but maybe theyre hoping the football bump will help them a bit.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bro I have a feeling that SmackDown is about to have laughable numbers on Friday. No one watches TV on Friday.
WWE actually retained most of their viewership in their first jump to Friday back in '05, so we'll see. Plus, I imagine any viewers lost by the move to Friday will be made up for with the move from cable to broadcast TV. Here's hoping for a flop though #ThreeYears

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
WWE actually retained most of their viewership in their first jump to Friday back in '05, so we'll see. Plus, I imagine any viewers lost by the move to Friday will be made up for with the move from cable to broadcast TV. Here's hoping for a flop though #ThreeYears

You know what, that is something I neglected to think of. Being on broadcast TV might actually give them a bigger bump than the football crowd will.

Time will tell. The first couple of shows might have decent numbers given how many stars they are bringing back, but give it about a month, and I bet its worse than it was on USA.

Meltz thinks it will be the most-watched wrestling show this week "by far," so who's to say. Some people are predicting as high as 4 million. They've put the ad machine behind it, so who knows.

He might be right, but ill say this. I am PUMPED for tomorrow. Friday.... I think Ill skip. I feel like a lot of the hardcore crowd share that sentiment.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
it may not be to bad with the rock being on it next week though

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
You know what, that is something I neglected to think of. Being on broadcast TV might actually give them a bigger bump than the football crowd will.

Time will tell. The first couple of shows might have decent numbers given how many stars they are bringing back, but give it about a month, and I bet its worse than it was on USA.

He might be right, but ill say this. I am PUMPED for tomorrow. Friday.... I think Ill skip. I feel like a lot of the hardcore crowd share that sentiment.

Yeah, I'll be watching a movie with my kids in my living room on Friday night. No interest in Smackdown or WWE in general after that angle last night.

Hardcores do share that sentiment, but I hope AEW realizes they can't cater solely to that crowd in order to grow. We'll see, though. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Hardcores do share that sentiment, but I hope AEW realizes they can't cater solely to that crowd in order to grow. We'll see, though. Can't wait for tomorrow.

I think that actually applies more to NXT. That product seems geared entirely to the wrestling enthusiast who enjoys the indies but wants better production values. AEW is trying to get that audience too, but they seem keyed in to trying to attract a broader wrestling audience as well as a mainstream audience, even if that won't be their primary focus.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I think that actually applies more to NXT. That product seems geared entirely to the wrestling enthusiast who enjoys the indies but wants better production values. AEW is trying to get that audience too, but they seem keyed in to trying to attract a broader wrestling audience as well as a mainstream audience, even if that won't be their primary focus.

I agree that the potential for growth is higher for AEW at the moment.

Expecting 500,000+ viewers tomorrow night, and hoping for north of 750,000. I feel like 800,000+ would be great, and a million would be a dream straight out of the gate.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Smackdown did 3.869 viewers last night.

8 PM: 3.920 million viewers
9 PM: 3.818 million viewers
Average: 3.869 million viewers

Really good. Props for topping 3 million, which is what Fox expected. Let's see what happens next week. Gotta imagine they shed 300K-400K without The Rock and PPV booking next week. Curious if they'll keep going with weekly legends to pop ratings. Cena, Austin, and Sting were left in the chamber from the advertising.

AEW has a long way to go.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017

Really good. Props for topping 3 million, which is what Fox expected. Let's see what happens next week. Gotta imagine they shed 300K-400K without The Rock and PPV booking next week. Curious if they'll keep going with weekly legends to pop ratings. Cena, Austin, and Sting were left in the chamber from the advertising.

It isnt going to sustain those ratings it wont be long until those ratings hit 2 million or below.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Those 18-49 numbers are impressive but overall rating is not surprising. I honestly thought they would get a 4. But this number don't matter, we gotta see what happens months from now, if they can sustain it.

Fast-Demo-2019-Oct-04-FRI.png

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

TV industry was projecting way over a 4.0.

3.8 isn't really impressive when you take into consideration a very aggressive Fox marketing campaign, pushing Smackdown hard online, highlighting it on all thier flagship shows, including Football, an advertised appearance by The Rock and so forth.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
TV industry was projecting way over a 4.0.

3.8 isn't really impressive when you take into consideration a very aggressive Fox marketing campaign, pushing Smackdown hard online, highlighting it on all thier flagship shows, including Football, an advertised appearance by The Rock and so forth.

How many viewers do you see them shedding for next week if they don't have a Rock, Stone Cold, or Cena opening the show?

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

It was projected to be much higher. This is not good news.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Just like with Finn on NXT, it seemed dumb to keep something like Cain as a secret. I know for angle purposes it makes sense, but for rating it probably would have been a big bump if they had advertised a Cain appearance. Maybe that leads to a jump in ratings next week.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Given all the big names that didn't show up I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is them knowing full well the regular crop of talent on the show can't keep a 3.0 up so they'll sprinkle a few old timers every episode to keep interest going. Survivor series build is smart since it gives an excuse to have Hogan and Flair cropping up on tv regularly, though part of me thinks this might lead to another "guest host" era once they run out of regular old timers to have on the show and start resorting to cheap celebrity pops.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
How many viewers do you see them shedding for next week if they don't have a Rock, Stone Cold, or Cena opening the show?

Honestly, I have no idea.

I'd predict the ratings would fall to about 3.1-3.3 for next week, but it really depends on how much of it was a nostalgia bump. I don't think it's utterly out of the question we see an outright collapse by next week.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The cope is strong with some. It's a very good number.

It's a very good number, but it doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Raw 25 did 4.54M viewers last year.

Compared to that, the smackdown debut was:

- on Network TV
- Promoted very strongly by Fox in advertising and on their other shows
- was advertised with Rocky, who was not on Raw 25 (or Hogan, but WWE watered down Hogan by having him on Raw anyway)

Yet still ended up with a lower number.

In any event, the real test will be where it has settled in december.

Status
Not open for further replies.