Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
NXT skews old. There isn't much crossover between WWE and AEW audiences.
This is true as far as I'm aware.

I remember some early analysis of the AEW viewers and it was found that the majority of them were lapsed fans who didn't watch WWE and were more into MMA. That was in the early days so it may have changed but considering the ratings I doubt it.

Neonzel

Hero of Bowerstone
Apr 30, 2018
Philadelphia
Quarter Hours for Dynamite

Segment18-49Total Views
Punk and Moxley Promo437,0001,104,000
Powerhouse Hobbs interview

Beginning of Bryan Danielson vs. Daniel Garcia
Danielson vs. Garcia355,000909,000
End of Danielson vs. Garcia + post-match with Chris Jericho

Keith Lee & Swerve Strickland and Private Party segment

Jon Moxley attacking Tony Nese & Mark Sterling

Moxley pull-apart with Punk
Chris Jericho, JAS & Steamboat

Austin & Colten Gunn vs. Varsity Blond

Jay Lethal & Sonjay Dutt & Satnam Singh Promo

Pac & Fenix & Penta Promo

Jungle Boy & Christian Segment
FTR & Wardlow Promo

Toni Storm vs. KiLynn King
First half of The Elite vs. Andrade & Rush & Dragon Lee391,000952,000
Second half of that match & post-match369,000863,000

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Personally speaking, while hyped and excited to see Omega again, I kinda didn't care enough for the trios match. It had fun spots but other than that, it's kinda boring to see a group that has been built for several weeks, that was constantly beating one of the best teams in the company, thrown into a 100% chance of losing spot.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Without having the minute by minute I know there were at least 2 commercial breaks in that main event, and they may both have taken place in the final quarter. The same may be true of the Danielson-Garcia match that started, then lost 100,000 viewers in the next quarter, and then had those 100K people back for the finish of the match in the next quarter

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Oof at that drop for the women's match. Like always, until TK puts some actual effort into putting the women into storylines or something to get people to care, this is going to keep happening to everyone except Britt and maybe Jade.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Without having the minute by minute I know there were at least 2 commercial breaks in that main event, and they may both have taken place in the final quarter. The same may be true of the Danielson-Garcia match that started, then lost 100,000 viewers in the next quarter, and then had those 100K people back for the finish of the match in the next quarter
Yeah, the commercial breaks felt more aggressive this week. It's rare to see them take a non-PIP break during a match, but they did during Danielson and Garcia. So when they came back, they had to show the concrete DDT, but then the concrete DDT couldn't have had any real lasting effects because they were on commercial break during it.

I imagine things like that contributed to people bailing.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Oof at that drop for the women's match. Like always, until TK puts some actual effort into putting the women into storylines or something to get people to care, this is going to keep happening to everyone except Britt and maybe Jade.

That was another one that the match had 30% of it happen in a Commercial, but it is mildly concerning- usually, the womens match ends up in the 7th quarter "The Death Spot", but this time it was in a better slot and it still did poorly, while the start of the the Trios match did a better than usual number for that quarter.

Also, seems like the announcement of the PPV main event actually being free on TV next week happened in the lowest rated quarter of the show....

Yeah, the commercial breaks felt more aggressive this week. It's rare to see them take a non-PIP break during a match, but they did during Danielson and Garcia. So when they came back, they had to show the concrete DDT, but then the concrete DDT couldn't have had any real lasting effects because they were on commercial break during it.

I imagine things like that contributed to people bailing.
I think that one of the reasons it happened like that was there was the long opening promo segment that you couldn't take a commercial in, and then you had a roughly 40 minute period between the end of the Danielson-Garcia match that had something like 10 seconds of wrestling in it- it was just a series of promos, the Varsity Blonds match, the second pull apart between Moxley and Punk, and the Christian/Jungle Boy beatdown segment, before we finally got the Toni Storm match as "real" wrestling. I have seen WWE shows do stuff like this where there will be an hour with only 5 minutes of wrestling in it, but usually in AEW they don't do stuff like that

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Loved Omega's return, but I did waver a bit during the match and was thrown off by him coming out in a shirt and a shoulder brace. I get the story reason, but I think most people probably just wanted a competitive back and forth banger. Still, it'll probably pay off in the end.

Neonzel

Hero of Bowerstone
Apr 30, 2018
Philadelphia
Rampage was #14 of the night

WDBjrsW.jpg

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
And that was with a tag team title match and a trios tournament match. Probably didn't help matters that they had back-to-back squashed and a women's match that was 90% commercials.

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
If those numbers survive Monday Night Football season then WWE will be wondering why they didn't get rid of Vince sooner.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
We already saw signs of it during the occasional 3-4 weeks Vince would get his shit together and book a competent angle that would stop the year to year decline for a few weeks. But it really is amazing how much the longterm decline over the last two decades was entirely self-inflicted by Vince. The last few weeks have proven how even small but consistent improvements would've been enough to stave off a lot of the longterm decline.

Granted, 3 hours is still too long to grow your audience; Smackdown and NXT haven't shown any signs of the same upswing Raw has; and in two months from now, when the honeymoon period is done and with Football back, we don't know what the ratings will look like. But it's easy to predict they'll still be higher than what they would've done under Vince.

Last edited:

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
It's so delicious seeing how Vince spent so many years spinning to investors and shareholders that he was the only wrestling promoter that was successful and how he was the only reason WWE got as big as it did, knowing his entire narrative has crumbled so quickly with Trips taking over being the final nail in the coffin for his bullshit.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
If those numbers survive Monday Night Football season then WWE will be wondering why they didn't get rid of Vince sooner.

The bump started under Vince's watch. This year's WrestleMania is what started it.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like HHH is doing a good job. WWE is hot right now.

I still haven't started watching and likely won't ever.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The bump started under Vince's watch. This year's WrestleMania is what started it.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like HHH is doing a good job. WWE is hot right now.

I'll go one stop further and start believing that Cody helped with WWE momentum

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

Things started declining a month or two after Wrestlemania, and It was Vince's allegations that started spiking the ratings for god knows what reason. I know Meltzer is arguing it happened under Vince, and I don't think his argument is even wrong, considering they were doing better than they were the year before. But all indicators were that it was starting to decline again before the Vince controversy happened. And doing better than one of the lowest points in company history in terms of audience gate and ratings, and actively growing during what is traditionally the company's downward period (post-Summerslam) are two different things.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Well, so far it has been "surprise of the week" kind of thing and a lot of wrestling fans that didn't want to watch the WWE anymore might be curios for the new management and how things are going. As someone that has watched Raw for a long time, 90% of it is still the same so saying "HHH has brought back the quality that's why fans are turning in" is a bit too much but there's a lot of curiosity in the air, that can't be denied.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Random thought but I wonder how FOX feels about now being the number 2 show by a decent margin despite having a wider audience?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I want to see the quarters. I have a feeling there was an exodus of viewers after Punk/Mox. but would love if a lot stayed for the trios. I think that trios match would have won over a lot of new fans to become regulars if they had the patience to stay

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very curious about the quarters as well. They did something different this week- they did NOT put the womens segment in the usually death spot, they instead put it in the usually healthy 4th quarter. I'm curious if having the main event start close to the beginning of the Death Spot quarter lead to it not being a death spot?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Very nice bump, and after having the shock of Mox's win settle a bit, I imagine even those who may have tuned out after that match will return out of curiosity next week.

...and because Dynamite was absolutely bangin' this week.

Last edited:

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
When you announce big matches a week before instead of like a day or two, people get hyped and want to tune in.

I want to see the quarters. I have a feeling there was an exodus of viewers after Punk/Mox. but would love if a lot stayed for the trios. I think that trios match would have won over a lot of new fans to become regulars if they had the patience to stay

But to clear a rating like that, considering that the title match lasted 3-5 minutes, that means it had to be averaging around 1m viewers for the majority of the night. It could be that people tuned in throughout and then a few dropped afterwards.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Unless the title match did an insane number I doubt the dropofff would be that big

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Unless the title match did an insane number I doubt the dropofff would be that big

Yeah, you have to imagine the rest of the show held pretty well given the length of the unification match and the final number still ending up between 1 and 1.1 mil.

It was an awesome show and as close to "AEW at its best" as they've been at any point in their short history. I think that's awesome for potentially convincing viewers to come back next week.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sorry for the bad crop, it is behind the patreon I think but I got it from the tweet advertising it.
1HlUhq9.png

*Edit - better version below

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Even the women's match stayed over a million, and brought viewers back after Gunn vs Gunn.

Time to sign Kilynn!

Status
Not open for further replies.