• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I know, I did say that in my post. It wouldn't have gone last even if hangman was winning. You can't do a death match in the middle of a show.
The 10 man tag should have been pushed a week

Are you saying they should have pushed it a week and had the episode end on a downer? Or push it a week and change the ending? Because I was sure he was losing when they made it first because it's very rare AEW goes out on a downer ending as big as Hangman losing.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Yeah, I assumed the placement on the card was because Hangman/Dark Order were losing. When I saw that opening the show it clinched it for me that they weren't going to win. Opening the show with the match probably helped its ratings anyway. Generally the trend is the show loses viewers over the course of the two hours, so a hot match like that opening up is going to maximize its viewers.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently WWE piped in crowd noise last night on a live show and you could still hear the original commentary from the show the noise was recorded from:

Just as a follow up, someone figured out later it was an ad for Summerslam (promoting Cena/Reigns) that had its audio playing over the live broadcast.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Curious if the first hour of Raw last night sees a slight bump just from the CM Punk stuff and people wanting to see the WWE side of things with a show going on in Chicago.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
This number:

non-P18-49: 1.164

Is the only thing keeping Raw as high as it is. That 50+ demo won't give it up no matter how shit it is.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know someone 50+ that watches Raw every week? Is this just like a wrestling die-hard that's been watching for 40 years or are they just watching because it's on? I just frequently wonder what entertainment a 50+ year old person gets out of modern WWE.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Does anyone know someone 50+ that watches Raw every week? Is this just like a wrestling die-hard that's been watching for 40 years or are they just watching because it's on? I just frequently wonder what entertainment a 50+ year old person gets out of modern WWE.

The custodians at my school are die hard WWE fans, and they're in that demo. They're also the WWE fan that doesn't know/care about NXT. The only thing that matters to them is Smackdown and Raw.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
My dad is a 62 year old lifelong wrestling fan and still watches Raw most weeks. But by "watches" I mean he throws it on in the background out of habit while he's sitting back on his recliner doing something else on his laptop.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

the majority are televisions running 24/7 in the basement of titan towers

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Just saw the Luther/Lee Johnson match where Johnson tried busting out that new corkscrew splash or whatever it's supposed to be from the top rope. Yiiiiikes. So glad he's okay. Looked like he had no control over where he was landing.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Raw really delivering the goods now that fans are back

Last week's Raw:

Damian Priest defeats Sheamus in 10:05
AJ and Omos defeat Viking Raiders in 9:30
Drew McIntyre defeats Veer by DQ in 3:40
Natalya & Tamina defeat Doudrop & Eva Marie in 3:15
Karrion Kross defeats Keith Lee in 8:45
Mansoor & Mustafa Ali defeat Mace & T-Bar in 3:15

Bobby Lashley defeats Cedric Alexander & Shelton Benjamin in 2:40
John Morrison defeats Riddle in 9:55
Reginald defeats R-Truth in 1:25
Charlotte defeats Nikki ASH in 12:35

This week's Raw:

Drew McIntyre defeats Shanky & Veer by DQ in 3:15
Mace & T-Bar defeat Mansoor & Mustafa Ali in 2:40 (the home town special)
Tamina defeats Doudrop in 3:50

Damian Priest defeats John Morrison in 4:10
Damian Priest & Ricochet defeat John Morrison & Sheamus in 2:58
Omos defeats Riddle in 2:35
Keith Lee defeats Karrion Kross in 11:00
Reginald defeats Akira Tozawa in 2:05
Nikki ASH defeats Charlotte in 14:30

The first raw card was absolutely dreadful. So why not run basically the same card the very next week, with the opposite result, ensuring no one gets over?

Feb 9, 2018
The 50+ demo is definitely what's keeping Raw & SD ahead in the ratings. Of course, they're also the ones keeping cable news afloat, so there is that. If it wasn't for Boomers & older Gen X-ers, AEW would be nearly tying Raw and Fox News would be nearly irrelevant.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Raw really delivering the goods now that fans are back

Last week's Raw:

Damian Priest defeats Sheamus in 10:05
AJ and Omos defeat Viking Raiders in 9:30
Drew McIntyre defeats Veer by DQ in 3:40
Natalya & Tamina defeat Doudrop & Eva Marie in 3:15
Karrion Kross defeats Keith Lee in 8:45
Mansoor & Mustafa Ali defeat Mace & T-Bar in 3:15

Bobby Lashley defeats Cedric Alexander & Shelton Benjamin in 2:40
John Morrison defeats Riddle in 9:55
Reginald defeats R-Truth in 1:25
Charlotte defeats Nikki ASH in 12:35

This week's Raw:

Drew McIntyre defeats Shanky & Veer by DQ in 3:15
Mace & T-Bar defeat Mansoor & Mustafa Ali in 2:40 (the home town special)
Tamina defeats Doudrop in 3:50

Damian Priest defeats John Morrison in 4:10
Damian Priest & Ricochet defeat John Morrison & Sheamus in 2:58
Omos defeats Riddle in 2:35
Keith Lee defeats Karrion Kross in 11:00
Reginald defeats Akira Tozawa in 2:05
Nikki ASH defeats Charlotte in 14:30

The first raw card was absolutely dreadful. So why not run basically the same card the very next week, with the opposite result, ensuring no one gets over?
That's not very much wrasslin' for a 3 hour show. Might as well cut the whole roster, they're obviously not using most of it. That said, if AEW rolled out Omega v Fenix every week for a first to 7 out of 13 showdown, I'd be down.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Habit, that's been going on for decades. To many, WWE is wrestling. I'm 43, so not in that 50+ group yet, but I watched WWE for about a decade while I was no longer enjoying it before I finally quit. I had watched WWE/F since around the time of Wrestlemania 3, it was basically what I had done my entire life. I knew it had sucked for a long time, and I mostly just had it on in the background , but having Raw on my TV Monday night was simply what I was supposed to do because I always did it.

Also, while I was never this way, many people view WWE as almost their local sports team. They have been fans their entire life and even though it might not be as good as it was, it's still "their" company, and they won't give up on them.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Figured this would be the best place to post this.

Came across a channel I haven't seen before, a wrestling news channel from a guy who seemingly deals with stocks etc and he had an interesting take on the whole 'budget cuts' situation with WWE.

Essentially he thinks that it could be that WWE are anticipating that their next TV deals aren't going to be as lucrative as they were because AEW is catching up with them in the ratings. Basically, why would USA pay the same amount or more for Raw when TNT are paying less than a quarter for Dynamite and at some point soon may be getting comparable numbers in the demos or even total viewers.

Something I think we have all considered as a possibility but haven't seen anyone link the recent cuts across the board with this idea.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Figured this would be the best place to post this.

Came across a channel I haven't seen before, a wrestling news channel from a guy who seemingly deals with stocks etc and he had an interesting take on the whole 'budget cuts' situation with WWE.

Essentially he thinks that it could be that WWE are anticipating that their next TV deals aren't going to be as lucrative as they were because AEW is catching up with them in the ratings. Basically, why would USA pay the same amount or more for Raw when TNT are paying less than a quarter for Dynamite and at some point soon may be getting comparable numbers in the demos or even total viewers.

Something I think we have all considered as a possibility but haven't seen anyone link the recent cuts across the board with this idea.

Based on logic, I agree with the bolded. But in reality, WWE always fails upward, so I predict they will have even better TV deals next time around.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Based on logic, I agree with the bolded. But in reality, WWE always fails upward, so I predict they will have even better TV deals next time around.
Lol that's the logic I have been using when it comes to WWE but of things continue, maybe it will change going forward. We shall see, all depends on how both shows are doing when it comes to contract renewal time.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
WWE is definitely getting an increase. Raw is literally the only thing USA has going for it, and while Smackdown's numbers aren't close to what Fox expected them to do, it's still doing its job at providing a consistent number on Fridays.

I don't think AEW changes any of that unless, for example, Fox would be interested in bringing AEW to replace Smackdown. But I don't think that's likely.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
WWE is definitely getting an increase. Raw is literally the only thing USA has going for it, and while Smackdown's numbers aren't close to what Fox expected them to do, it's still doing its job at providing a consistent number on Fridays.

I don't think AEW changes any of that unless, for example, Fox would be interested in bringing AEW to replace Smackdown. But I don't think that's likely.
USA will still push for Raw and probably has first refusal, like the last renewal. I'm not so sure if Fox will be happy with Smackdown. The key demo has been strong recently but I can't see it going any direction but down, so will be interesting to see what the situation is this time next year.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Wrestling will probably continue to be an attractive TV property because

1. it gets really good ratings. Regardless of how viewers compare to 20 years ago, Raw and Smackdown are typically number one for their nights. Dynamite is now more frequently hitting number one

2. it's not only live content but it's new content year round. There's not much else on TV that is a new show every week year round.

Combine the two and it's easy to see why networks value it so highly. Unless things drastically change soon, AEW is going to be swimming in cash for their next TV deal. I expect WWE to continue to do well, though it's definitely possible things aren't quite as lucrative for them the next time.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Combine the two and it's easy to see why networks value it so highly. Unless things drastically change soon, AEW is going to be swimming in cash for their next TV deal. I expect WWE to continue to do well, though it's definitely possible things aren't quite as lucrative for them the next time.
Considering AEW would have been profitable in year 2 (of not for the games division investment), I can only imagine how profitable they will be on e they get their new TV deal since they could easily double it if not more.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly believe that if we get to a point where AEW is consistently doing Smackdown numbers or even beating it then the other networks will notice and come knocking.

Like imagine Dynamite on CBS or ABC? I think ABC even has a history of having wrestling programming going back to 1955.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Predicting 1.05 mil for tonight's Dynamite show. Maybe dipping below. It didn't have the energy I've gotten used to for AEW, and I'm sure the humidity had something to do with that.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I thought Dynamite did the thing it does on a semi regular basis for me and that's trail off in the second hour. Having multiple segments featuring the same wrestlers was also a weird one that I'd not seen them do too often.

No offense to Dailys Place but I think it was a mistake to go back so soon. It reminded me of the months and months of the show being in the same place and as much as the people there supported them well they need to be showing different places and set ups every week to keep things fresh.

If the total viewers is above 1 mil I will be genuinely shocked but will show that they've managed to create some loyal viewers.

If I had to predict I think it could be about 875k.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I thought Dynamite did the thing it does on a semi regular basis for me and that's trail off in the second hour. Having multiple segments featuring the same wrestlers was also a weird one that I'd not seen them do too often.

No offense to Dailys Place but I think it was a mistake to go back so soon. It reminded me of the months and months of the show being in the same place and as much as the people there supported them well they need to be showing different places and set ups every week to keep things fresh.

If the total viewers is above 1 mil I will be genuinely shocked but will show that they've managed to create some loyal viewers.

If I had to predict I think it could be about 875k.

I also think it was weird to go back to Daily's so soon, and they've gotta stop doing shows there (if possible) in the summer. It's like a billion degrees in Jacksonville and the humidity is like 85-90%. That doesn't pair well with a highly athletic sport (and 40-50 year olds, either).

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I also think it was weird to go back to Daily's so soon, and they've gotta stop doing shows there (if possible) in the summer. It's like a billion degrees in Jacksonville and the humidity is like 85-90%. That doesn't pair well with a highly athletic sport (and 40-50 year olds, either).
Yeah the opening match was super sloppy of AEW standards. I imagine the heat had something to do with it.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
On being at Daily again - Someone said (in one of these threads)this was a backup venue, that there was another venue booked but it fell through.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
With the Olympics over, should be clear sailing for a while for Dynamite until that hockey bs happens.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I think the Dynamite after Punk's debut does 1.3 million. We'll see, though. Pretty awesome to see AEW looking this healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.