SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Happy I sprung for the m1 air last year instead of getting the base model, at least I'll get to try out some of these features.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't the same thing, but something can be bad because it's underbaked, and it is.
I guess it's the equivalent of being a port beggar. If it's available on the platforms you care to use it on, it's probably fine. I'm begging for journalling on iPad, but don't particularly see the issue with a password app not being on a platform I don't use.

3999€ in Germany. Actually crazy. I bet the "cheaper" version is going to still be 2k or something.
Well that probably puts it somewhere around 5999.99 CAD, which means it costs more than the worth of my vehicle at this point, which… lmfao.

Just checked. $4999.99. Canadians are getting a "deal" apparently.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone know if USAA is working on Beta 1? I'm looking through the iOSBeta subreddit but not seeing anything yet.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's the equivalent of being a port beggar. If it's available on the platforms you care to use it on, it's probably fine. I'm begging for journalling on iPad, but don't particularly see the issue with a password app not being on a platform I don't use.
A password manager isn't a very good password manager if you can't get your passwords from every major (or just every) OS. It's a service, not a game, they're in fact- different things.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
there being people who have just an iPhone doesn't mean that the lack of a journaling iPad app also makes it a bad product; if you make a password manager, make it cross platform or don't bother; otherwise you could have just stuck with keychain
Multi-platform support is great but I suspect the many Apple-only users would rather that Apple did bother, even without Android support. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
there being people who have just an iPhone doesn't mean that the lack of a journaling iPad app also makes it a bad product; if you make a password manager, make it cross platform or don't bother; otherwise you could have just stuck with keychain

It should be cross platform but I imagine it's still a useful tool for most iPhone users who don't have Android devices And won't care that there is no Android support.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Multi-platform support is great but I suspect the many Apple-only users would rather that Apple did bother, even without Android support. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
Apple-only users would be happy if HomeKit didn't support Matter, but HomeKit would also be gutter trash if it didn't! I'm sure there's Apple TV users that would be fine if TV+ wasn't usable everywhere but they're also wrong.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
A password manager isn't a very good password manager if you can't get your passwords from every major (or just every) OS. It's a service, not a game, they're in fact- different things.
But again, context is key. It's a service that's available everywhere I need it to be, which makes it fine for me. It's not where you want it to me, which makes it a poor option for you. Fitness+ not being available in every country doesn't make it a piss poor service. It's a perfectly fine service where it's available, it's just not an option everywhere. Exactly like this service.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I know everyone on this site has a hate boner for AI, but I'm excited about using the features in my workflow, and even my personal use. Good stuff here, and my 15 Pro continues to be my favorite phone ever (though I regret going with blue instead of the titanium color)

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Apple-only users would be happy if HomeKit didn't support Matter, but HomeKit would also be gutter trash if it didn't! I'm sure there's Apple TV users that would be fine if TV+ wasn't usable everywhere but they're also wrong.
I'm all for apps being available everywhere. More TV+ subs means more TV+ budget. That has a benefit to me, and therefore I care.

It does a little bit yeah: or again, TV+ being locked to iOS, iPadOS, and TV OS

It doesn't affect the quality of Fitness+ in my day to day usage if someone somewhere else can't use it. That's like saying an e-bike unavailable in Canada is a shit e-bike when it could be a perfectly adequate, or even market leading, e-bike in the countries it's sold in. We don't have to discuss this further though if pedantry is your focus.

Blitzpwnage

Feb 11, 2018
Wow, the fact my 14 Pro is now not even considered for an update like AI, well that's a take. I'll just stay here I guess. I'm not buying a new phone for an AI feature. Would have liked to try it….

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for apps being available everywhere. More TV+ subs means more TV+ budget. That has a benefit to me, and therefore I care.

It doesn't affect the quality of Fitness+ in my day to day usage if someone somewhere else can't use it. That's like saying an e-bike unavailable in Canada is a shit e-bike when it could be a perfectly adequate, or even market leading, e-bike in the countries it's sold in. We don't have to discuss this further though if pedantry is your focus.
E-Bikes are also products and not a password "service" barring you from accessing your passwords. It's a service, like Apple TV+.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Again, TV+ being locked to iOS, iPadOS, and TV OS would make Apple TV+ a crap service.
It would make it a non-competitive paid service. The reason Apple Music and Apple TV+ are on non-Apple devices is that Apple wants to sell more subscriptions to them. Passwords is a free service, so the only commercial benefit of making it cross-platform is as an onramp to capture users from elsewhere.

I agree with you that Apple should put this on Android. But the simplest answer to why Apple does anything is user acquisition and engagement. If Apple can get someone and hook them into staying, they will. And I say that as someone who is firmly hooked.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Complete 180 in terms of privacy when you compare Apple and Adobe. Adobe wants you to have 0 privacy. Apple is trying to protect it.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon go still works on 18 if anyone else is severely impatient like me yet still plays pogo also like me. I know a couple years ago the beta broke the game so it always makes me a little nervous.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Barring you from accessing your passwords, apparently. My access would apparently be completely unhindered. So I have no reason to think it's a poor product.
It... bars you from accessing your passwords across other devices too, and is thus bad. It bars everyone from accessing their passwords on any other device. Apple TV+ would be worse if it wasn't accessible on most/all devices too even if it's on devices I use right now because now I wouldn't be able to use it elsewhere.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Wow after all those rumours about this being the biggest iOS and iPadOS updates ever, that was a huge nothing. All the OS update presentations seemed really rushed

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Password manager is what I'm most excited about. Will be so much easier to get my family to use one now.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
A live AI talk is happening now with Apple execs. Not being filmed but The Verge is live blogging it.

www.theverge.com

Live from WWDC with Apple’s AI leaders

John Giannandrea and Craig Federighi are onstage talking all things Apple Intelligence.

Oh this is an interesting talk. Also they talked about the data they trained their AI on:

What have these models actually been trained on? Giannandrea says "we start with the investment we have in web search" and start with data from the public web. Publishers can opt out of that. They also license a wide amount of data, including news archives, books, and so on. For diffusion models (images) "a large amount of data was actually created by Apple."

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Really hoping they eventually unbundle Passwords from the Windows iCloud app (just so I can possibly drop another software sub). Something so frequently used requires direct access, not buried within another app. Too used to 1Password's global hotkey.

fnlUusQ.png

completely missed this part of the presentation, handy if you use the action button for camera/flashlight

speaking of Action Button, its obvious they're kneecapping its functionality because of iPhone 16's rumoured camera button. There's no reason it shouldn't be able to open the camera app and immediately take a photo/video in one press

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Craig Federighi said:
Intelligence on-device figures out what little bits of info are relevant to answer a question, then sends only that. Then your IP address is masked, and the server has no local storage and doesn't track you. Security will be auditable and iPhones won't talk to servers that don't have public software. "It's blockchain-ish" Craig says. There will be a forthcoming white paper about this.

No local storage on the servers is wild.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
In iOS 18, can I drag and drop my music onto my iPhone in Windows?

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Glad to see hackintosh survive for another year. Other than that, not really interested in anything else.

The base model of the vision pro is 599,800 yen lol. That's almost the cost of what I paid for my macbook m3 max with 64 gb of ram.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Is the AI stuff not in the beta? Trying to remove someone from a photo and don't see any option to do so lol

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
ios18 is pretty stable so far from what ive tested; customization is pretty cool, control center is also nice including the music player (although why use that when i have a dynamic island?)... some nice little changes

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
The one big ML feature I really want to see added to iOS is the ability to pick the best facial expression from a bunch of group photos to have one combined photo where everyone is looking at the camera/smiling/etc.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
The AI stuff seemed interesting, and being able to type to Siri seems like it could be super useful for getting stuff done on Mac/iPad that would have taken several steps before.

The text generation/summarisation is terrifying though. How long before companies just become LLMs emailing each other back and forth...

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I'm sure plenty of people will find the AI integration useful but most of it is does nothing for me. The Photo app integration seemed like I would use it.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
In iOS 18, can I drag and drop my music onto my iPhone in Windows?
I know you are trolling with this, but it's really the stupidest "lack of feature" people complain about. A database software for managing music makes much more sense for a library, and who in the year of 2024isn't streaming music? If you aren't, you have a large collection where you need a way to sort all the associated metadata anyway to find it anyway, especially when people who have large collections are getting devices with at least 128gb of storage.

There's no practical need for such a feature in 2024, and arguably it was a bad and dumb method for music back in 2004 as well.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be honest here: nobody I've asked believes all those Siri prompts will ever work as advertised when the current iteration in any language different than English (US) barely has the functionality of the Android's assistant from 10 years ago, and some generative AI garbage (the kind that recommends eating rocks or glueing your cheese to your pizza) will not magically fix that.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I know you are trolling with this, but it's really the stupidest "lack of feature" people complain about. A database software for managing music makes much more sense for a library, and who in the year of 2024isn't streaming music? If you aren't, you have a large collection where you need a way to sort all the associated metadata anyway to find it anyway, especially when people who have large collections are getting devices with at least 128gb of storage.

There's no practical need for such a feature in 2024, and arguably it was a bad and dumb method for music back in 2004 as well.

? I don't know what's difficult about searching through a folder named after the album? Most of the metadata is stored in each song anyway. I'll take that as a no to my question.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
iOS 18 beta 1 is pretty stable so far. Im not noticing any major issues outside of some initial slowness due to reindexing.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
truly the GOAT OS update on iPhone, and love some of the Mac stuff even if overdue. Crowd pleasers and bangers left and right. Me want now.