• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited for?

• The more powerful model

Votes: 4,343 67.8%
  • The more handheld model

Votes: 599 9.4%
  • Both!

Votes: 711 11.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 751 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
12GB RAM does seem high but one area Nintendo doesn't skimp traditionally is memory. And as said a good chunk of that may go to OS/backend/recording, as right now Switch only offers a paltry 750MB for that.

Looking at it compared previous revisions:

GB: 8kB + 8kB video -> GBC: 32kB + 16kB video
DS: 4MB -> DSi: 16MB
3DS: 128MB -> n3DS: 256MB
NSW: 4GB -> NSW+: 12GB?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
You'd need to buy it separately.
Even if the controller would be bundled with a seperately purchased dock, I still have to wonder if they would introduce a brand new controller for the sake of a cheaper price.

Something like a smaller, stripped down Pro, I imagine. Perhaps shaped not unlike a the Wii classic or one those 8bitdo controllers (in other words, without the handles).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
12GB RAM does seem high but one area Nintendo doesn't skimp traditionally is memory. And as said a good chunk of that may go to OS/backend/recording, as right now Switch only offers a paltry 750MB for that.

Looking at it compared previous revisions:

GB: 8kB + 8kB video -> GBC: 32kB + 16kB video
DS: 4MB -> DSi: 16MB
3DS: 128MB -> 256MB
NSW: 4GB -> NSW+: 12GB?
He said 8 GB. I mistyped.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
What if we are finally getting the Supplemental Computing Device?

It might not explain the "3DS replacement", but it could explain the different design WSJ is hinting at. It would definitely be a very different take from a PS4 Pro but still "enhanced".

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
A cheaper clamshell switch makes a lot of sense and would be awesome, an enhanced/deluxe switch that has higher specs would be a kick in the balls. Nobody would program for it except a few first party games, but I'd still want one :(

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
As someone that only uses their Switch as a home console in the dock and never plays it in handheld mode, I am very interested in the "enhanced" version if it gives it quite a power boost.

Jan 10, 2018
We'll see how reliable this source ends up being, but I would definitely be in on that Switch Pro. The portable version is also interesting but I don't think I would bite on that (until some cool skin comes out for a new game release or something, then i'll bite).

You gonna buy a Pokemon branded Switch Go in a bundle with Sword/Shield and you gonna like it

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's his video with all the information

Wow his source also told him about the successor to the Switch too (9th generation)

-It is a Switch lol
-Support HDMI V2.1
-4K support
-10 gigabit Ethernet port
-5G for truly wireless online gameplay
-new SoC based on Nvidias Volta with 512 CUDA cores
-1080p OLED display
Fake...

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What if the more powerful one is a stationary console, and the cheaper one is a smaller clam shell switch

That would make both of them neither like the current switch

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly wondering if they're just going to do:

Switch Pocket (handheld only, no detatchable joycon, cheaper, etc)

And

Switch Home (no screen, not portable, maybe a touch more powerful, but not by much - comes with a pro controller)

And they keep the current model on the shelves as the "main" version.

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wow his source also told him about the successor to the Switch too (9th generation)

-It is a Switch lol
-Support HDMI V2.1
-4K support
-1080p OLED display

RW06BjM.jpg

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Seems more likely but I still wouldn't be surprised to see most of the extra memeory going to OS. Probably like PS4's setup (5GB games, 3GB OS) from where Switch is now (3.25GB games, 750MB OS).
More RAM dedicated to the OS would be great but then what for the OG Switch and mini versions?

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
And guess what, the Joy-Cons are not entirely optional. Try playing 1-2 Switch, Snipperclips, the built-in Street Fighter 2-player or several of the games in Super Mario Party without detachable Joy-Con or the tablet form factor with tabletop mode. Spoiler: you can't, which is my whole point.
Try to play Mario Party 10 on Wii U without Wiimote. Spoiler: you can't. So where is the difference?

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
I think fragmenting the software base to have pro only games, or games that require joycons that aren't on some models, would be insane and the worst thing Nintendo could do.

So thats what i expect to happen

This has always felt like a bad move and they have done it before but this time I think it might help more than hurt. I don't think both versions will have equal success so the smaller fragment should not hurt the large as much as having both a Switch and a 3DS line being promoted does.

This might be the only way to keep the Switch floating among all the hardware and cloud shake up ahead.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems more likely but I still wouldn't be surprised to see most of the extra memeory going to OS. Probably like PS4's setup (5GB games, 3GB OS) from where Switch is now (3.25GB games, 750MB OS).
I was going to ask what did they use for the OS because I remember it was little. We have to remember this Nintendo Switch Plus or Deluxe is meant to have enhancements for the more core gaming enthusiasts. And there are things they've asked for...

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
"The other version is a cheaper option for casual gamers that Nintendo sees as a successor to its aging hand-held 3DS device, the suppliers and developers say".

3DS succor screams handheld play and low price point. Also casual and family gamers are not same thing, one of biggest point of family gamer's is local multiplayer, same doesnt mean for casual gamers, most of current casual gamers are phone/tablet gamers.

Nikkei was often more accurate than WSJ.
If you quote the whole thing you will see it also says that the cheaper model is for casuals, that it will remain a hybrid console, that it will most likely have joy-cons and that it won't be like the Vita.

I just doubt the Pro model will be for kids while the cheaper one will be for avid gamers. Cheap model will be for kids and Pro model for us, I think that's a given.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Honestly wondering if they're just going to do:

Switch Pocket (handheld only, no detatchable joycon, cheaper, etc)

And

Switch Home (no screen, not portable, maybe a touch more powerful, but not by much - comes with a pro controller)

And they keep the current model on the shelves as the "main" version.
I think it would be the best thing to do.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not expecting much from a switch Pro, there's only so much you can do at that forum factor, but I'd like to be surprised.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Hmm...... Something seems fishy with this.
Don't you think?
Firstly, they never release more than 1 Revision at a time based on both Home Console and Handheld revisions.

I'm skeptical of this. What do you think, Jonneh and co.?

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I would need both. More powerful one for me, weaker one for my kid, and my current one I guess possibly for modding in the future or possibly just to keep as a collector.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just use the cloud backup and then sign into another switch. That's it. You can download all your software and saves onto that other switch as long as you're logged in.

edit: https://www.imore.com/how-use-nintendo-switch-online-move-game-saves-new-nintendo-switch
Holy shit, I had no idea Nintendo allowed for that kind of seamless migration on consoles; I just remembered the Wii and Wii U being petty shitty in that regard.

Yeah, I'm absolutely buying a new Switch and grabbing this feature so I can turn my current one into a convenient, travel, party game device!

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Two new models at once seems like a strange move... with the way the Switch has been selling I'm not sure a "Pro" or "Enhanced" model is even needed yet... I can see them wanting to add a cheaper model to bring more people in though. I'm not necessarily excited for either of these new versions, but could definitely end up picking one up depending on price and what they offer.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Two new models at once seems like a strange move... with the way the Switch has been selling I'm not sure a "Pro" or "Enhanced" model is even needed yet... I can see them wanting to add a cheaper model to bring more people in though. I'm not necessarily excited for either of these new versions, but could definitely end up picking one up depending on price and what they offer.

Third year in a console's life span can be a make or break moment. Dropping a new pro model to get the hardcore gamers to upgrade while also releasing a cheaper model to capture the on the fence/childrens market seems like a winning strategy.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Holy shit, I had no idea Nintendo allowed for that kind of seamless migration on consoles; I just remembered the Wii and Wii U being petty shitty in that regard.

Yeah, I'm absolutely buying a new Switch and grabbing this feature so I can turn my current one into a convenient, travel, party game device!

Yup just watch out for games that don't support cloud saves (which are just a few online focused ones).

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Hopefully they dont get cute with the naming and stick with easily differentiated names like Switch Mini and Switch Pro.

If they dont all play the same games then it's pointless, it's fine for the switch pro to boost performance, resolution etc but if its a case of "this is a switch pro only game!" then it will be absurd and like most divides only exist for 1 or 2 games and result in jackass stickers warning people which switch game they can or cannot play on their switch.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Switch is bucking the past traditions.
If it is, then wouldn't it be saying bye bye to non-hybrid separate consoles too? I could easily see this rumor as a bit of a corroboration as they already sell the Switch without a Dock in Japan. What if they did that here in the West with a cheaper price tag and with bundles to boot? This is what I think the whole Cheaper Switch thing is referring to.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia

-It is a Switch lol
-Support HDMI V2.1
-4K support
-1080p OLED display

Everything is believable other than the 10 gigabit port. That doesn't make any sense unless it was a typo and supposed to be 1 gigabit.

The switch (even that version) will never need that and it costs way to much.

7Z7

May 30, 2018
I hope this rumor is true because I am very interested in a more powerful model.

Nintendo has to adapt the Switch to satisfy the entire audience.

Switch Mini: Occasional player, younger audience. Cheaper and only portable.

Switch Home: Big player looking for power and image quality. Same price as the Classic Switch but only for the Salon. Just a case without tablet which allows to have better internal components.

Classic Switch: Public looking for a portable and fixed console.

So everyone is satisfied, 3DS is replaced and Nintendo can welcome a wider audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.