• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
www.wsj.com

Companies Start to Think Remote Work Isn’t So Great After All

Projects take longer. Collaboration is harder. And training new workers is a struggle. “This is not going to be sustainable.”

Now, as the work-from-home experiment stretches on, some cracks are starting to emerge. Projects take longer. Training is tougher. Hiring and integrating new employees, more complicated. Some employers say their workers appear less connected and bosses fear that younger professionals aren't developing at the same rate as they would in offices, sitting next to colleagues and absorbing how they do their jobs.

Months into a pandemic that rapidly reshaped how companies operate, an increasing number of executives now say that remote work, while necessary for safety much of this year, is not their preferred long-term solution once the coronavirus crisis passes.

"There's sort of an emerging sense behind the scenes of executives saying, 'This is not going to be sustainable,'" said Laszlo Bock, chief executive of human-resources startup Humu and the former HR chief at Google. No CEO should be surprised that the early productivity gains companies witnessed as remote work took hold have peaked and leveled off, he adds, because workers left offices in March armed with laptops and a sense of doom.

"It was people being terrified of losing their jobs, and that fear-driven productivity is not sustainable," Mr. Bock said.

It's important to have people in a room and see body language and read signals that don't come through a screen, says Mark Loehr, the CEO, noting the event is optional. "They're going to do their work there—modestly, individually, sometimes in group rooms—but try to meet together for breakfast, lunch and meals," he says. "And maybe out on the lawn, just to know each other."

One benefit of working together in person, many executives said, is the potential for spontaneous interactions. Mary Bilbrey, global chief human resources officer at real-estate giant Jones Lang LaSalle Inc., returned to her Chicago office in early June, as the company reopened its spaces. She noticed that she was soon having conversations with peers that wouldn't have happened in a remote set up—a discussion sparked by a passing question in the hall, for instance. "They weren't going to think about scheduling a 30 minute call to do it," she said.

The toll of extended work-from-home arrangements is likely to affect career development, particularly for younger workers, several executives said. At Stifel Financial Corp., which employs more than 8,000 people around the world, junior employees learn how to underwrite deals or develop pitch books by sitting beside more experienced colleagues and watching them work, said Chief Executive Ronald J. Kruszewski. That's hard to do remotely.

"I am concerned that we would somehow believe that we can basically take kids from college, put them in front of Zoom, and think that three years from now, they'll be every bit as productive as they would have had they had the personal interaction," said Mr. Kruszewski.

"If you were physically on site, you might have someone physically whispering, 'Hey, that means this.' We don't have that here. So, it's taking longer for the new employee to understand what's happening," he said.

In a recent company survey, less than a third of Discover employees said they want to work from home permanently, though many said they would like the flexibility to do it sometimes, which the company plans to offer. Without the interactions that define office life, Mr. Eichfeld worries that Discover's culture will gradually fray, which is why he's eager to get workers back together once it is safe.

"It was easier to go remote fast than most people would have ever imagined," he said. "That doesn't mean it's great."

This reflects my experience as well. People have adapted to work, but productivity is down quite a bit. More junior employees, people who are shier/neurodivergent/introverted/who require more direction and feedback never get a chance to speak up and/or learn. It really benefits people who are already more outgoing and willing to speak over others or people who already hold positions of seniority. No one really asks casual questions and learns stuff through osmosis. Brainstorming and getting feedback on ideas is much harder. Perhaps for lone wolf workers this is a no-difference or even an improvement, but a lot of people who depend on others have been struggling. Teams are becoming more distanced and people aren't as aware of what each other are doing. People are getting much more fatigued in meetings and it's much harder to communicate. I know some view this work from home situation as a boon overall, and it should definitely be available as an option going forward, for many it has been quite challenging. Let alone the people with kids at home that they have to take care of.

Of course, people should absolutely be given the option to work in the environment they prefer once this is all over.

Just to be super crystal clear, no one should be asked to go back to the office before it is 100% safe. This thread isn't about that. That's not even up for debate. It's about how it's been challenging to adapt to these new conditions.

I feel that some are going to paint this as "managers want to lord over their employees" but it's much more than that, individual contributors are struggling as well

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I agree. The office is far from dead long term. But it is remote work is the most prudent rn.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. The office is far from dead. But it is remote work is the most prudent rn.

Definitely, I am not making an argument whatsoever for going back. I agree with the other article I posted - employees shouldn't be forced to return before Summer 2021 if not later. I'm just trying to point out how some employees who are more junior or neurodivergent are struggling under these circumstances.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
All true, still don't want to go back to the office.

I'm ok with productivity going down because frankly, times are really tough.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
No shit. It depends on the job and skill level but yea for newbies, this definitely slows down development and networking.

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, I'm sorry to say. No reason WFH can't be a bigger part of your work week or month, but all the time? Nah.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hate WFH. I will be back in the office the moment it is 100% safe to do so and I'll never look back.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's also a lot harder for semi remote teams. If your team is semi remote it makes it much harder for those remote workers on the team, who often feel isolated and separated from the decision making process.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
There's business meetings where I'm literally playing videogames the entire time, something I obviously wouldn't dream of doing if I was onsite.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I could do 90% of my job at home and only would have to physically be at my office maybe once a week.

But then my bosses are paranoid micromanagers.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Hybrid is probably the way of the future. I'm doing great in the WFH setting but I know that some of our newer younger people are struggling and there's not much I can do about it.

CannonBallBob

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Corporate overlords want their human capital back so CEOs can get their giant million dollar bonuses from the board.

Companies need to adjust. Be happy that there's some work being done despite countless of other individuals suffering from a deadly virus.

Where are our priorities?

May 24, 2019
I've definitely found I need a shitty, boring, sad office to be productive.
Just give me a window to remind me of life and sunshine.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 3 days in the office and 2 days WFH. It's perfect for me. I can't imagine doing WFH full time.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I mean we have spent all of 3 months trying to engineer WFH. We have spent 100's of years perfecting in-person productivity.

Not all that shocking that the early results haven't exactly reproduced the thing we have practiced for 100's of years.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I don't miss the commute zero.

Actually, I miss it a little because I have zero reason to listen to podcasts or audiobooks.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I get far more done at home when I'm not constantly barraged by co-workers requests and water-cooler talk. Not that there's not a time for that...just...not every 5 minutes, David.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
We have a small team and had an intern who never met any of us other than Zoom. We are also hired a person before this and all training was zoom and we are getting a new person and all the training will be via Zoom. What a strange timeline..That being said we will go back to the office eventually. I'm hoping only 2-3 days a week though. Our particular team has been very productive.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Corporate overlords want their human capital back so CEOs can get their giant million dollar bonuses from the board.

Companies need to adjust. Be happy that there's some work being done despite countless of other individuals suffering from a deadly virus.

Your priority seems to be on dunking on corporations instead of trying to empathize with people who are struggling to adapt to new working conditions

I work more than before so....

Yeah, for some this is definitely a boon. Depends on your style of working, personality, etc. But it's been challenging for many as well. People should be allowed to choose how to work (once it is safe to go back)

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
If I had my way I'd never go back to the office even after this is done. I don't miss the office one bit and am glad it's affecting productivity. Other teams that affect my teams Schedule are now handicapped and I no longer feel like I'm being burnt out every month for months on end.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Capitalism always favors productivity over lives. It's almost like this has been pointed out and proven again, and again, and again, for centuries.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know, just reminds me of all the pieces where seniors in companies say younger newer people are slower to develop, are more unskilled and need more hands on time and aren't as productive out the gate as people were years ago. Since none of the people in the article seem to be from newer people.

Also, as with all these things, just doing things that you are and slapping together some lame half-thought-of training regime that you hastily slapped together to train new people in this climate, is of course not going to be as good if you rethought your training scheme from scratch.

Too often, I've seen people just put their training presentations as 1 hour voice narrated powerpoints online and call it "done awesome" without ever thinking "is this truly effective training?"

Also if "spontaneous discussion fosters better training and development" that to me screams "inconsistent and perhaps inadequate training" for several people.

Just as people say you need to be extroverted online, I don't see everyone being the type to go around the water cooler and talk for 30 minutes...

Why not pair new hires with a mentor and make it longer term than 7 to 14 days (and thats already being very generous)...The more upfront time you put into it, the longer yields you get.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just the monitoring aspect. Some people are not extroverted or experienced enough to be proactive about reaching out to others, especially newer employees.
It's not even about them being proactive or introverted, they just don't have the connections and no way to build them. Like I know exactly who to go to for nearly any problem I would run in to and I've got a good rapport with all of them. Newer people? They've got no idea and no relationship so it's harder for them to ask a favor.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Lack of extroversion is not the problem. If anything I see so many extroverts lonely and lost during our stand-ups.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I know that it likely varies depending on industry ... but nahhhhh. My team has been thriving during this time in terms of productivity.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I feel like this also ignores a lot of toxic shit that goes on in the office: microagressions, loneliness, isolation, bullying, sense of being constantly compared to other employees, etc.

The article says that someone will whisper to you what something means. Usually, new employees don't get those kinds of hints, because everyone is just focused on what they need to do. People are incredibly petty in person.

While it may not work for everyone, WFH is great for me. Has been before COVID, will be after.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I think team makeup has such a huge impact on this. The team I started on in 2017 was completely distributed. I had a desk at our local office and would work there twice a week to ensure I'd get human interaction, but things were smooth and I was able to be as successful as I've ever been in that environment.

The team I started on in April was all working from the office as a group prior. They've struggled to adjust to working at home, but they're getting there. It's made me, a person who is introverted and likes to be challenged, really struggle to integrate on the team. I think long term there's clashing personalities and it won't work but fuck, this has been the hardest I've ever struggled to acclimate for a team. It's only been 4 months but it feels like a damn year.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even about them being proactive or introverted, they just don't have the connections and no way to build them. Like I know exactly who to go to for nearly any problem I would run in to and I've got a good rapport with all of them. Newer people? They've got no idea and no relationship so it's harder for them to ask a favor.

Yeah, I am happy for people who are thriving under these new conditions and I hope this whole business forces companies to reconsider remote work in general, but the lack of empathy from some towards people who are struggling under these conditions has been disheartening. Not everyone works and learns the same way.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Cant wait to go back to work. Working from home isnt for me. I need to interact with people, be able to talk to them on a whim when I have an idea or need something solved quickly. Starting to loathe everything about home work.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I could do 90% of my job at home and only would have to physically be at my office maybe once a week.

But then my bosses are paranoid micromanagers.
Truth. My company would rather have people in their chairs wearing masks all day being miserable rather than being home all day which we proved was more productive. But no, they gotta fucking micromanage us every step of the way.

Fuck I hate these corporations

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping for a hybrid when things go back to normal. I would love to do 50/50. Get the team camaraderie going and then get the fuck away from them to get my job done.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
It really depends on many things like the work itself, the tools you use, the type of worker (ie how independent they are), etc etc. Not every company is set up for WFH from just the way they operate to their infrastructure (or lack thereof). Many companies have zero idea how to do the simplest of things like security for thousands of home offices.

This is a massive shift and companies are still getting used to it. It'll take time.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"and that fear-driven productivity is not sustainable," Mr. Bock said.
youre_serious_futurama.gif

The modern tech industry is not sustainable, you don't say.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
our group's done pretty well despite extremely little personal interaction over the last four months. i think (hope) when things can go 'back to normal' that having regular work from home schedules will be permitted. always being in the office and always being at home aren't fun, but there's something to be said about socializing, going outside for breaks or getting something to eat a little further than your fridge. and of course working from home is nice to unwind. maybe alternate one week office, one week home, or only come into the office every other business day.

the number one thing that has to go is the idea of a 5 day work week. i think you're seeing in the case of companies where they're more productive is that people can just do what they need to do on their own timeline a lot better.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the company I guess.

We've been overall more productive working from home, and we recently had a vote, and we unanimously voted not to return to the office until at-least the fall. We're also contemplating permanent work-from-home.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who has had to hire and train two new team members during the pandemic, it's really difficult. It'd also a bit unfair for them since the rest of us all have more personal relationships from our time at the office. As far as projects taking longer, it hasn't been the case for us. Everyone is still being very productive.

Depends on the company I guess.

We've been overall more productive working from home, and we recently had a vote, and we unanimously voted not to return to the office until at-least the fall. We're also contemplating permanent work-from-home.

We're not going back anytime soon and I'm sure most of us will continue to work mostly from home. It's not having the option that really sucks.

I agree it depends on the company.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some positions will get more value out of an office environment while some will get more value in a remote environment, even within the same company. Honestly I think it's case by case and positions should be evaluated as such.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, productivity really has taken a hit, particularly for any kind of work that requires collaboration.

And my company trusts us enough that there is very, very little micromanagement.

A hybrid approach is definitely the way to go.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're doing great with WFH and I have no intention of sending anyone back into the office.

The article reads like a bunch of people stuck with old assumptions of "productivity" and unwilling to get creative in how they approach remote work interactions.