Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Got the big rejection for Stormbreather. Agent had the full manuscript and everything! She was the last one I planned on sending to, as I hit 75 or thereabouts and am sick of it. It stings though, because that book felt like it had legs. Not sure if my query just wasn't good enough, or if I missed the mark on pirates and steampunk. I guess both of those things are kinda like, a decade gone by.

Still kinda bummed. Thought it wouldn't matter, but man. That was one of my best novels.

Oct 26, 2017
Hey that's awesome!!! Best of luck with the website. 2 weeks is uh.... not a lot of time....
Well I have a wix site that's already built but can't handle heavy traffic for some reason. After building most of the pages in squarespace (home, gallery, about me, etc) when it came down to the actual comic page…well squarespace can't build dropmenus on the page itself or have a customizable layout for comic viewing so it's back to (cursed) wix

Edit: I managed to build what I needed to a degree in half a day on squarespace now I just gotta transfer the domain from my wix site

Last edited:

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Got the big rejection for Stormbreather. Agent had the full manuscript and everything! She was the last one I planned on sending to, as I hit 75 or thereabouts and am sick of it. It stings though, because that book felt like it had legs. Not sure if my query just wasn't good enough, or if I missed the mark on pirates and steampunk. I guess both of those things are kinda like, a decade gone by.

Still kinda bummed. Thought it wouldn't matter, but man. That was one of my best novels.
I've had a few full manuscript rejections - they're always particularly disappointing. But you're doing something right if you got that far!

Oct 26, 2017
Well I have a wix site that's already built but can't handle heavy traffic for some reason. After building most of the pages in squarespace (home, gallery, about me, etc) when it came down to the actual comic page…well squarespace can't build dropmenus on the page itself or have a customizable layout for comic viewing so it's back to (cursed) wix

Edit: I managed to build what I needed to a degree in half a day on squarespace now I just gotta transfer the domain from my wix site

Glad that you were able to get it to work. If you run into any issues, just ask for help in the Web Development OT. Squarespace and Wix are great tools if you stick with their pre-built templates but they can get very annoying when you try to go outside of that.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished this draft of a horror novel I wrote for Nano last year. In the end, I added almost 10k to it (so a little shy of 60k currently) which is nuts because I remember having trouble getting across that 50k mark. Honestly looking back, this was almost a complete rewrite in a lot of ways. Not necessarily the bones of the story, but all the prose. This is the second time I've edited a novel of mine and it always amazes me anyone ever writes any books. It takes so much time and commitment, but at the same time, when you get to those moments that are actually good, its a feeling like nothing else in the world.

Anyway I've learned my lesson from the last time I edited a novel. Before I let anyone read it, I'm going to try and clean it up one more time. That next draft is going to be where the prose gets cleaned up and arguably even a little good. The more i think about it, the more I'm sure that's the draft i want feedback on. Still though, book! Done! Woo!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
:[
Finally finished this draft of a horror novel I wrote for Nano last year. In the end, I added almost 10k to it (so a little shy of 60k currently) which is nuts because I remember having trouble getting across that 50k mark. Honestly looking back, this was almost a complete rewrite in a lot of ways. Not necessarily the bones of the story, but all the prose. This is the second time I've edited a novel of mine and it always amazes me anyone ever writes any books. It takes so much time and commitment, but at the same time, when you get to those moments that are actually good, its a feeling like nothing else in the world.

Anyway I've learned my lesson from the last time I edited a novel. Before I let anyone read it, I'm going to try and clean it up one more time. That next draft is going to be where the prose gets cleaned up and arguably even a little good. The more i think about it, the more I'm sure that's the draft i want feedback on. Still though, book! Done! Woo!!!
I owe you a draft, so when you're ready to share, please kick it to me!

Oct 26, 2017
I finally have my website up for my comic!

You can read the whole 1st chapter (a whooping 54 pages) here

Synopsis: Hikaru Noori, a famous but private novelist strikes up a friendship with one of his fans, Konane Aka, while on vacation. Their friendship blooms in to a much deeper relationship as they learn about and help each other with their past trauma. A queer romantic drama.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I finally have my website up for my comic!

You can read the whole 1st chapter (a whooping 54 pages) here

Synopsis: Hikaru Noori, a famous but private novelist strikes up a friendship with one of his fans, Konane Aka, while on vacation. Their friendship blooms in to a much deeper relationship as they learn about and help each other with their past trauma. A queer romantic drama.

Congratulations! I took a quick look just now and it's quite wonderful. Beautiful artwork.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Hello everyone, I have an oddly specific question. One of the important characters in a story I'm writing is a college professor and the MC refers to them as "Professor (Last Name)" as he is a student of the professor. Should it be "Professor (Last Name)" every time or something like "Prof. (Last Name)"? I have no idea what is the right way, or if there is an alternative solution. My literature degree coming in totally useless here lmao

As for the story itself, I'm on the sixth chapter now and I will likely post it here eventually since I'm already posting it online as I finish the chapters. It's just something for fun, and I am having a lot of fun. I've tried Nano before and failed spectacularly but I have a better rhythm with this story.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
This is probably less about what's right or wrong and more about what your character would say. Strict English would probably dictate using Professor though.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Should it be "Professor (Last Name)" every time or something like "Prof. (Last Name)"? I have no idea what is the right way, or if there is an alternative solution
Where is it set? Some areas are formal, others are casual. A professor may go by their first name in some parts of the USA and that might be totally unacceptable in another.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Hello everyone, I have an oddly specific question. One of the important characters in a story I'm writing is a college professor and the MC refers to them as "Professor (Last Name)" as he is a student of the professor. Should it be "Professor (Last Name)" every time or something like "Prof. (Last Name)"? I have no idea what is the right way, or if there is an alternative solution. My literature degree coming in totally useless here lmao

Are you asking what the MC should say when he refers to the professor, or when he addresses the professor, or are you asking how you should refer to the professor when you (the narrator/voice) refer to them in the story?

The MC would probably alternate between a few forms when addressing the professor. They probably wouldn't always address them as "Professor Last Name" because it would be monotonous. Sometimes they might say "Hey, Professor", or sometimes they may even just say "Hey, Prof" if they have a more friendly relationship. But most of the time if a student was were speaking to their professor they would probably keep some form of the honorific (Prof/Professor), out of respect.

If the MC was speaking with a peer (e.g. fellow classmate) and referring to the professor, they may sometimes lose the honorific (esp. if the other person knows the prof by their name) and say something like "You know (Last Name) screwed me over on my grades again!"

If you are talking about the narrator or voice of the story, then you probably want to alternate between "Professor (Last Name)" or "the Professor". Sometimes you may just use (Last Name), if you are, for example, switching the narrative focus to the professor. For example, if the scene describes the actions of the professor, you might start with "Professor Last Name", and then subsequently just say something like "...then the Professor said..." or even "...then Last Name said..."

None of these are strict rules, however. Much of it depends on context and (in the case of narration) often the tone you want to set.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone here write short stories? I'm thinking of trying my hand at them - wondering if anyone has any good online resources for learning the form.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Does anyone here write short stories? I'm thinking of trying my hand at them - wondering if anyone has any good online resources for learning the form.
Hey! I have good news for you: A bunch of us write short stories here. We do monthly challenges, actually. latest one can be found here https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...-2023-unanimous-decree.737772/#post-108382899

Currently closed as it's in the voting period, but the next one will start pretty soon. We'd love for you to jump in. The best way to start writing short stories is really to just start :)

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Short stories are great. I have quite a few ideas pop up now and again that aren't really fit for a full novel, but can fill up a short story easily enough.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Hello writers. I haven't posted here before, at least as I recall, so apologies for hopping in with a big old 'this is my stuff' post. Well, not big, but.

Recently sent a draft of my novel to friends and acquaintances, who said they'd read it. I'm under no illusions about it: it's far too long (220,000 words), far too wooly in places, and still very much being made in my mind even as I haven't touched the paper in a few weeks.

I just needed someone else to look at it and see it from the outside, y'know? Early remarks have been very positive, but the devil is in the... long haul.

So exciting to write though. I recently finished a PhD and writing fiction feels more my 'thing' than academia. The freedom, the creativity, the challenge.

Last edited:

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017
uEvtYGM.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CHBJ7X7W

I have a new story out on Amazon if people are interested :). PM me if you want a free review copy.

Oct 25, 2017
Whelp it's getting close to that time of year. Anyone got any fun ideas for a Nanowrimo thread title? I'm thinking of riffing off the writers strike in some way.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Whelp it's getting close to that time of year. Anyone got any fun ideas for a Nanowrimo thread title? I'm thinking of riffing off the writers strike in some way.
I'm thinking we don't try to be all that clever this year if that is what you want to go with.

just something simple like "Pay your damn writers"

or if you want some self deprecating humor "We aren't connected enough to be scabs" or something along that line, but with an explanation on top of the writing strike and why people should support the writers and why it's fine to join NaNoWriMo because it's not going against the strike to write in general, it's only going against the strike to write specifically for the companies they are striking against.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Hello writers. I haven't posted here before, at least as I recall, so apologies for hopping in with a big old 'this is my stuff' post. Well, not big, but.

Recently sent a draft of my novel to friends and acquaintances, who said they'd read it. I'm under no illusions about it: it's far too long (220,000 words), far too wooly in places, and still very much being made in my mind even as I haven't touched the paper in a few weeks.

I just needed someone else to look at it and see it from the outside, y'know? Early remarks have been very positive, but the devil is in the... long haul.

May you perhaps share the basic premise for your work in this thread? About what genre it is in, what kind of story, etc. Don't need to give out the major plotline. I believe it will be useful for other posters and lurkers to decide whether it interests them for a trial-read.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
May you perhaps share the basic premise for your work in this thread? About what genre it is in, what kind of story, etc. Don't need to give out the major plotline. I believe it will be useful for other posters and lurkers to decide whether it interests them for a trial-read.

Certainly - sorry I didn't before, I didn't think of that.

The genre I'd say is magical realism, for want of a better term. The story is about friends in a city, their reunion and various issues of the past that have impacted on them over the time since they were children together.

At the same time, there is something about the city that enchants and repels them in different ways, and what that is becomes clear over time: it's not a normal place, and by the same token, it's absolutely normal. The story explores themes that relate both to these smaller stories of the friends, and the bigger stories of the city, and the idea of story itself (I hope. It's fucking messy).

I am heavily influenced by (in short, to help give a sense) Master and Margarita; The Sea, The Sea; The Leopard; Invisible Cities.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Certainly - sorry I didn't before, I didn't think of that.

The genre I'd say is magical realism, for want of a better term. The story is about friends in a city, their reunion and various issues of the past that have impacted on them over the time since they were children together.

At the same time, there is something about the city that enchants and repels them in different ways, and what that is becomes clear over time: it's not a normal place, and by the same token, it's absolutely normal. The story explores themes that relate both to these smaller stories of the friends, and the bigger stories of the city, and the idea of story itself (I hope. It's fucking messy).

I am heavily influenced by (in short, to help give a sense) Master and Margarita; The Sea, The Sea; The Leopard; Invisible Cities.

It sounds intriguing! I've read and enjoyed all of the books you named here that inspired you. I'd like to give it a trial read. PM sent :)

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Nano is 1 month away guys, you know what that means?

BTW if I do Nano this year it'll be 10 years of me doing Nano.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've really lost a lot of passion right now I usually have for writing and I dunno. I'm sad about it. I've just been having a lot of bad thoughts about the stuff I've written recently.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Let me introduce myself.

When I was a kid I loved creating stories and writing them down. I even won a few contests, but as an adult, while I never stopped telling myself stories I fell off of writing. Now I'm trying to get back into writing and the same goes for art. So, I've put together a project for myself with the following challenges: It's a big project, can I stick with it? I want to tackle some difficult subjects, can I manage them. There are a lot of characters, can I keep them distinct and consistent. And of course, can I write something anybody else actually wants to read? So far I've put in quite a bit of preliminary work and gotten a few drafts done, so, off to a good start. But it's tough writing in a vacuum. Every writer needs readers to give feedback, and that's what I'm hoping to attract here and thank you in advance. So what is my project?

Star Wars fan fiction, don't leave yet, hear me out. I'm not a Star Wars fan and I've never been interested in fan fiction, so this is an odd match. I did recently get into some Star Wars stuff and found that while I care very little for things like the Force, Jedi, or their rivalry with the Sith, I am absolutely fascinated with the clones. They are this mass of people that from start to end were just tragically screwed over and I wanted to dig into them and change a few things.

I'm writing an alternative timeline story. This place in the Star Wars canon is bookended and I'm not interested in taking the predestined path. If the entire project sees completion it'll be divided into 3 (possibly 4) books. Book 1 is set up like lost episodes of The Clone Wars TV series. A collection of short stories that would slot right in. However, I'm also writing them to stand on their own. Ideally, you wouldn't need to have watched either The Clone Wars or any Star Wars to enjoy them.

The story itself changes quite a bit as it goes and rather than try to summarize all of it, here's a summary for book 1. You can divide book 1 into two parts. The odd chapters are a collection of connected short stories that follow a woman of the Mandalorian people as she makes friends with a handful of the Republic's clone soldiers during a chance meeting. Initially wanting nothing to do with them, little by little she gets more involved with the clones as a whole and their peculiar and sometimes disturbing existence. It's a story of deepening friendships and fighting against a system of exploitation. It's also a story of loss and found family.

The even chapters are each a stand alone story focused on a single or small group of clones and their experiences. These stories will vary quite a bit.

In brief, there you have it. That's my writing project to challenge myself and see what I can do. It's actually more than just a writing project, as I also used to draw and that's another thing I fell off of. I plan to do illustrations to complete each chapter and if I get really ambitious, a comic panel here and there. In an idealized universe, this would be a graphic novel, but I know I'd never get that done.

And that's it. So far I have a prologue and chapter 1 drafts done. I'm dropping my rough drafts on my neglected art blog here:

http://toomanycrayons.blogspot.com/

And once I've decided a draft is final and has at least a chapter illustration it'll go to a dedicated blog here:

https://otherstarsstory.blogspot.com/

That blog is obviously a work in progress itself but hey, I do have a drawing of a ship floor plan posted so, enjoy!

Edit: I should also mention that there are links embedded within the text of the story here and there that lead to YouTube videos that play music. If you like, you can play the music while reading that section of the story. One of the characters plays a musical instrument (A "xilin" aka a space violin). Some of the music is just for background accompaniment and others represent what she's playing.

Last edited:

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have done it. After ten long years of procrastination, I finally finished. I have finally finished... The first chapter of the first draft of my book. It was a arduous journey but I reached the end. Now I just need 30 more chapters. Wish me luck Era!

Edit: Also, holy shit 11k words in the first chapter. And in the begging i was worried that it would be too short LMAO

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I have done it. After ten long years of procrastination, I finally finished. I have finally finished... The first chapter of the first draft of my book. It was a arduous journey but I reached the end. Now I just need 30 more chapters. Wish me luck Era!

Edit: Also, holy shit 11k words in the first chapter. And in the begging i was worried that it would be too short LMAO
hmmmm 300 years is a bit long. You may have to speed that up to finish it up in 150 or so :P

jokes aside, congrats, it's a big step, and continuing on should be easier if you lean into that motivation. Just keep doing a little bit each day if you can and it will add up :)

Oct 25, 2017
Whaaaaa no I... I love writing. Every hours upon hours of it..... all so like five people can tell me they like a thing.... hours upon hours of my life staring at bad words on a screen.... I love it.....

Oct 25, 2017
Also starting to write the sequel to this. Any pitfalls anyone has noticed when writing sequels.

This really isn't very helpful, but I think my biggest pitfalls last time I tried to do a sequel (it was a fantasy trilogy I winged for Nano's in the past) really boil down to two things. 1) Its tough striking a balance between catching details up from the previous book to the new books and not being too over bearing and 2) I did not have a clear idea where the series was going, and so the general course of events was a bit of a mess.

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished Chapter 2 of my comic "I'll see you in my dreams"!

I think I did a really good job with the ending of Ch 2 (when I wrote it, it gave me so much serotonin lol)

Synopsis of comic:
Hikaru Noori, a famous but private novelist strikes up a friendship with one of his fans, Konane Aka, while on vacation. Their friendship blooms in to a much deeper relationship as they learn about and help each other with their past trauma.

Chapter 1
Chapter 2

At the moment
fdYRQFY.jpg

Last edited: