• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you vote to expel Batman from the JLA due to his actions in Tower of Babel?

• Yes

Votes: 89 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 276 75.6%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
But then if the Justice League can just take him out then his secret contingency plans suck and are pointless. And if his whole character is being mistrustful and constantly paranoid then he shouldn't be on the Justice League.
That's why his contingency plans only work if he alone knows them...and he's not even the only paranoid JL member. The Question is a member as well

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah I legit think it's right to have a contingency plan, and if not Batman, who else would have the resources to do it? Superman and the Flash alone are literal gods like you would seriously place the faith of civilization on their perpetual goodness? Yikes.

Yes? That is the whole character of Superman

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
DC made a character who is Batman and also the Joker who then becomes Dr. Manhattan, and it made them a million dollars in merch so maybe it's our fault.
Honestly i hope he is gone for real because he got annoying real quick but im not holding my breath since in the last issues they showed that Batman (somehow) managed to revive his corpse who is a separate person from the one who became god even though he doesn't have a brain

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Batman was 100% in the right to have plans to stop (not kill) godlike beings who get mind controlled or turn evil or some shit fairly regularly. The least he could have done though is tell them he was going to do it as a precautionary measure.

The biggest problems are when his plans get hacked and become literal death plans ie Tower of Babel and Brother Eye. Both made more dangerous than he originally created them.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I fuckin hate this plot lol.

I remember when Batman goes "my weakness is people, take hostages" or some shit like that in his recording and i'm like if you're fucking evil and need a plan to take you down the plan YOU MADE doesnt mean shit AND you still have this dumbass kill the justice league contigency plan you could use against them.

Last edited:

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
That's why his contingency plans only work if he alone knows them...and he's not even the only paranoid JL member. The Question is a member as well
I think the contingency plans would naturally work better with more people. Who would have a better chance of stopping evil Superman? Batman or Batman and five other superheroes. And no, the Question isn't usually a Justice League member. He definitely wasn't in this story.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
No I wouldn't. Kicking him out of the the League wouldn't make him stop plotting how to kill everyone in it. It'd just make it so you can't keep your eye on him. And I'd be scared that someone who was so paranoid to make plans to kill gods would be less trusting and more likely to execute them if said gods kicked him out.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
probably, yeah, it should have been a team discussion

though why the fuck would he need to write this stuff down, does he keep a diary? does killing one of them involve solving a rubik's cube

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I think the contingency plans would naturally work better with more people. Who would have a better chance of stopping evil Superman? Batman or Batman and five other superheroes. And no, the Question isn't usually a Justice League member. He definitely wasn't in this story.
The plans were stored in the Justice League computer. If they were needed they'd be available to the Justice League. But telling the Justice League that "Bruce has a plan available to deal with you stored in the League computer" would be a good way of ensuring that Bruce gets dead and those plans get deleted real quick.

What Bruce actually did wrong is shit like what he did with Kyle Rayner where he made him feel like they were forming an honest friendship while Bruce was probing him for vulnerabilities.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, because you're dealing with entities capable of destroying from the whole planet to the galaxy to maybe even the universe.

Batman was right.

Jibberhack

Oct 30, 2017
When his contingency plans are compromised and used against the team, yeah that's grounds for expulsion. Doesn't that mean he's always a potential liability to the people he works with?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Plans were to incapacitate, Ra's Al Ghul was the one who tried to kill them. And given the Justice League were revealed to have been mind wiping him several years later, he was right to have them.

OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Plans were to incapacitate, Ra's Al Ghul was the one who tried to kill them. And given the Justice League were revealed to have been mind wiping him several years later, he was right to have them.

In the mindwipe case he was trying to stop them mind wiping a rapist which probably would've been for the best, so eh I kinda lead towards the League there.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
No. Who would pay for all of their stuff? Anyway I think I like the animated version of this storyline better than the comics

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
is he so parroinoid that he made contingency plans to kdo ill his friends those being in the wrong and kind of a psychopath? yes
did the plans need to exist? considering how many times a hero turns evil also yes
would i kick him out for doing it? no only because they jla needs to keep him in check, without them well he could go full on robin king

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
The plans were stored in the Justice League computer. If they were needed they'd be available to the Justice League. But telling the Justice League that "Bruce has a plan available to deal with you stored in the League computer" would be a good way of ensuring that Bruce gets dead and those plans get deleted real quick.

What Bruce actually did wrong is shit like what he did with Kyle Rayner where he made him feel like they were forming an honest friendship while Bruce was probing him for vulnerabilities.
The plans being in the Justice League computer doesn't mean anything because it still just means that the plans would still only be disclosed when Batman decided they were allowed to. And like, having the contingency plans is one thing. That's justifiable but it's that he had them in secret and appointed himself as the sole judge and decider of when to incapacitate a league member. That's unbelievably paranoid and controlling. It shows that Batman does not trust his team and after finding out about it the rest of the league, understandably, doesn't trust him anymore either. Him being kicked out of the league is the only logical thing to do because nobody is going to trust placing their lives in someone who secretly plotted to exploit their weaknesses and incapacitate them.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The last thing I would want is to not be sure where the person who knows how to take me down was. So yeah, I would keep Batman if only to make sure that at least I know where Batman is.

But in this situation, even then I wouldn't have kicked him out. He had plans for everyone including himself. Having everyone in the league know said plans does nothing when one is mind controlled and can share the secrets with the villains.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
See this is why communication is important. You shouldn't hide important stuff like this. If you have friends you care about, and also have contingency plans to kill them in an emergency, don't be like batman. Tell your friends, they will understand.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Superman can't be trusted
32HXzxw.gif

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The story is from 2000 and he was expelled, but what is the current status in the comics? Is he still out of the League?

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
the dumbest part of this storyline is how bad or basic most of batman's plans were. His plan to kill superman is to use kryptonite. Red kryptonite, if you want to be pedantic about it, but still just that. Yeah, you really needed to be the world's greatest detective to figure that one out. Some of it isn't even particularly specialized, like Wonder Woman's is just nanomachines that trap her in a hallucination. You could use that against anyone. And Aquaman's is so lazy that he's just using Scarecrow's normal fear toxin against him, like Scarecrow would do if he fought Aquaman.

Basically, these are all just basic, normal villain plans that usually fail but this time they work because they're Batman's and they need to pretend Batman is so impossibly smart only he could come up with these plans that uniquely work against the JL.
The problem with writing stories where the protagonist is a super-genius is that they are only as clever as the author, so the difference needs to be made up by either total ass-pulls (e.g. a character has knowledge that they couldn't actually have obtained), stupidity on the part of their adversaries, blind luck, or good old-fashioned plot armour.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
I mean it beats Wonder Woman's way of dealing with mind control, which is to just straight up murder whoever is doing it.

images

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Batman needed fake kryptonite, nanites, and shit.

Black Panther can take down iron man with a bottle of glass cleaner

People would have no problem if Panther did the same lol

And honestly I think he would actually agree with Batman on the contingency plans!

Thinking about it, Panther and bats would be great friends lol

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He has never been right, only a psychopath would be plotting to kill people he sits down with everyday

I mean they are basically god entities who can and have been mind controlled or turned evil. They have the trust of the public and present one of the biggest threat to civilization. His plans are essential to safety and he's one of the only entities with the funding, ability and brain power to create contingency plans he's practically obligated to.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
People would have no problem if Panther did the same lol

And honestly I think he would actually agree with Batman on the contingency plans!
Comics Black Panther could very much be like Bruce Wayne at times - extremely smart,extremely intellgence but also stubborn to a fault (also the case with Tony and Reed). I do agree with you that comic Black Panther would most likely agree with having contingency plans. MCU BP likely would not though.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
100% absolutely would vote to expel him. How do you trust someone with an intricate plan to kill you?
Are you on an exclusive seat amongst the most powerful people on the planet who could commit mass atrocities any second, whether by your will or by mental manipulation?

If the League can't even consider just how fucking dangerous they are, then they shouldn't be there in the first place.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Comics Black Panther could very much be like Bruce Wayne at times - extremely smart,extremely intellgence but also stubborn to a fault (also the case with Tony and Reed). I do agree with you that comic Black Panther would most likely agree with having contingency plans. MCU BP likely would not though.

It would make sense for him to have plans for the avengers considering they are often state sanctioned and he is the king of a foreign nation

Can you imagine a trump like president controlling a team of super heroes?? Lol

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The League gets brainwashed every other tuesday, of course he should have contingency plans for them.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
To have contingency plans against members with god level powers is not a bad idea. The bad idea is concentrating it on Batman, that shows how paranoid and controlling he is. The ideal would be that all members know that a plan against each one of them exists but it is only accessible by a handful of the other ones, and maybe two are needed to trigger one plan.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
He's right to do so, but it's still a betrayal of trust on his end. At least be open about it. Don't tell them the deets obviously, but let it be known. And there needs to be more checks and balances to ensure the plan can't be enacted on a whim. Maybe a buddy system of sorts.

Anyway, I don't know of I'd expel him in the end, but it'd certainly lean towards that conclusion.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Nah Batman was right. The rest of the league were idiots for not having their own plans.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018

Both Stark and T'challa have hulkbuster suits