• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you accept the trade-off?

• Without question

Votes: 439 36.1%
  • Hell no

Votes: 776 63.9%

• Total voters

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Main RPG Persona games probably not.

But i would sacrifice every goddamn Persona spin-off for sure. Every.last.one.of.them.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Main RPG Persona games probably not.

But i would sacrifice every goddamn Persona spin-off for sure. Every.last.one.of.them.

You mean you are not excited for :
- Persona Karting All Night
- Persona Lets Go Orpheus/Izanagi/Arsene
- Detective Morgana
- Goro Akechi : Ace Detective.
- Persona's Souls
- Summer Lesson VR : Makoto Niijima

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
- Detective Morgana
- Persona's Souls

Hmm.

- No
- No
- Heck no, what's he searching for? Kids who stay up late?
- For the love of *insert your god and/or messiah here*, no!
- ..... okay maybe that one
- No

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
- Detective Morgana
- Persona's Souls

No Sae Nijima, Perfect Prosecutor?

And where th is Naoto Shirogane : Ace Detective?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
They could kill persona and piss on personas grave and the SMT people actually want wouldnt come back anyway. Recent atlus output already showed them "casualizing" SMT mainline to the point Strange Journey Redux and Apocalypse are as overly anime (if not more) than persona. Even if Atlus decides to kill persona for whatever dumb reason youre not getting more nocturnes and digital devil saga, youre getting more apocalypses and if lucky, devil survivors.

And if it means more games like apocalyse which i freaking hated, i would kill SMT for nothing. Literally nothing. Just kill it for funsies, let's make a big bonfire with its corpse and celebrate pointless murder.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I love Persona 3, 4 and 5, meanwhile I've never finished a main SMT game that I've started (I hope we actually get SMTV and that finally changes for me though).

I certainly wouldn't give up Persona. Hell P4 and 5 are two of the best games I've ever played.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Look at Atlus output, you don't have to give up anything, they've already done it themselves.

You people act like we get persona games every five months while SMT is stuck on the ps2 era with nothing new since then
As if you have forgotten how much of a meme was how long P5 took to be a thing

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
You people act like we get persona games every five months while SMT is stuck on the ps2 era with nothing new since then
As if you have forgotten how much of a meme was how long P5 took to be a thing

Okay. That's fair.

Now we look at Atlus Persona output since they've announced SMTV in 2017. Since then, they've announced, and/or released, the expanded Persona 5 game, the dancing games for P5 and P3, oh and P4 (almost forgot). We also have Persona Q2 (though i'm aware this could've been announced prior) and, if this forum is to believed, Persona 4 Golden Steam.

I'll be fair and leave Scramble out given that this is mainly done by KT.

Now, SMT games between 2017 announcement of V and now: Strange Journey Redux.

You know the saying "For each prejudice there a spark of truth"? Well that might be the first time this sentence has any valid proof.

;]

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Okay. That's fair.

Now we look at Atlus Persona output since they've announced SMTV in 2017. Since then, they've announced, and released, the expanded Persona 5 game, the dancing games for P5 and P3, oh and P4 (almost forgot). We also have Persona Q2 (though i'm aware this could've been announced prior) and, if this forum is to believed, Persona 4 Golden Steam.

SMT between 2017 announcement of V and now: Strange Journey Redux.

You know the saying "For each prejudice there a slither of truth"? Well that might be the first time this sentence has any valid proof.

;]

counting rereleases is silly. you want new games or the same old games being rereleased again? i would sure like a nocturne or even raidou port more than SMTV Apocalyse II, but thats not what the thread is asking. the only new game in there was Q2 and if you want to stretch it, Royal (so SJ redux would also count)

youre also ignoring the mobile releases for SMT which are as fleshed out as most of the persona spinoffs anyway.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
counting rereleases is silly. you want new games or the same old games being rereleased again? i would sure like a nocturne or even raidou port more than SMTV Apocalyse II, but thats not what the thread is asking. the only new game in there was Q2 and if you want to stretch it, Royal (so SJ redux would also count)

youre also ignoring the mobile releases for SMT which are as fleshed out as most of the persona spinoffs anyway.

Rerelease or not, if it's on a new platform, there's been dev work done. Also the dancing games are new too, aren't they?

SMT stuff on mobile is, iirc, mostly done by Sega itself, so i'm not counting them on Atlus' side.

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
No way. The persona games are just an evolution of SMT and are so much better. Persona 5 is one of the best games ever and I cant think of a SMT that I feel the same way about. Heres to hoping that SMTV puts the series on equal standing ground to Persona 5.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how many more SMT games we get. If we got one a year, sure, we so rarely get mainline Persona games anyway.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Rerelease or not, if it's on a new platform, there's been dev work done. Also the dancing games are new too, aren't they?

SMT stuff on mobile is, iirc, mostly done by Sega itself, so i'm not counting them on Atlus' side.

i dont remember if the p3 and p5 dancing games were released on vita earlier than that or not but p4 certainly was

SMT also had the tokyo mirage sessions switch port in this time btw. and yes, that counts as SMT and its another indicator that killing persona or not, atlus doesnt think of SMT as many of here want them to

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would, but I don't think SMT IV Apocalypse Dance Party with Demons is going to have the same selling power as the Music games from the more pop focused franchise.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
i dont remember if the p3 and p5 dancing games were released on vita earlier than that or not but p4 certainly was

SMT also had the tokyo mirage sessions switch port in this time btw. and yes, that counts as SMT and its another indicator that killing persona or not, atlus doesnt think of SMT as many of here want them to

Okay, Dancing P4 might not be new, the PS4 version though is.

Nope, we're not using the port of what's basically a Nintendo game, probably requested and funded by Nintendo without zero motivation by Atlus, as a SMT game that came out since 2017.

Especially not since it pretty much plays like a "Persona lite".

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, Dancing P4 might not be new, the PS4 version though is.

Nope, we're not using the port of what's basically a Nintendo game, probably requested and funded by Nintendo without zero motivation by Atlus, as a SMT game that came out since 2017.

Especially not since it pretty much plays like a "Persona lite".

Doesnt matter, Atlus consider it SMT, just like Devil Survivor have "persona-lite" elements as well and is also SMT, just like Strange Journey Redux added a mary sue to the story just for some extra attention from people who wouldnt like SJ on its default state, just like Apocalypse is so.... apocalypse. All SMT games.

This is what some of you with a vendetta against persona seems to ignore - if anything you should be happy that the series exist to contain most of these elements on it cause its already clear Atlus sensed where the goldmine is and is already putting several elements of it on SMT as well. You're not getting old school hard as nails dungeon crawler with little social interaction ever again. SMT sales used to prop up the side experiments like persona back in the day, but these days is persona propping up all the other SMT games - if you want to kill it you might as well be killing the entire rest of the series too.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I would, but I don't think SMT IV Apocalypse Dance Party with Demons is going to have the same selling power as the Music games from the more pop focused franchise.

SMT: Dancing Furiously All Night

Look me in the eyes and tell me you don't want an entire game composed of SMT protags dancing in post-apocalyptic cyberpunk clubs to synthwave. Tell me you don't want to attack and dethrone YHVH with the power of funk.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
OP I think you changed the order of your sentence and nobody here noticed.
Of course we would sacrifice SMT to get more Persona games !

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Yes, without question/hesitation, i would get rid of the Persona games (or at least if they wouldnt make them more like 1/2).

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without question!

But I would gladly sacrifice one Persona game ( Alongside a mitama :v ) to bring some DeSu back!

Deleted member 46477

Banned
Aug 6, 2018
Persona 5 Royal is one of the best RPGs ever made. Incredible soundtrack, too.

Persona 3 had a haunting atmosphere and introduced a unique social link system that had me coming back for more.

While on the weaker end for me, Persona 4 is still a staple RPG of the PS2 era.

...yeah, if anything, sacrifice the SMT series to allow more Persona games.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
At this point, yes. The last Persona game I played was close to a decade ago. I don't really miss it. I'm going crazy waiting for a SMT game. Yes, absolutely! Let Persona die so that SMT can live!

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Doesnt matter, Atlus consider it SMT, just like Devil Survivor have "persona-lite" elements as well and is also SMT, just like Strange Journey Redux added a mary sue to the story just for some extra attention from people who wouldnt like SJ on its default state, just like Apocalypse is so.... apocalypse. All SMT games.

This is what some of you with a vendetta against persona seems to ignore - if anything you should be happy that the series exist to contain most of these elements on it cause its already clear Atlus sensed where the goldmine is and is already putting several elements of it on SMT as well. You're not getting old school hard as nails dungeon crawler with little social interaction ever again. SMT sales used to prop up the side experiments like persona back in the day, but these days is persona propping up all the other SMT games - if you want to kill it you might as well be killing the entire rest of the series too.

You know, for someone with a vendetta against Persona, i paid a shitton of money for the P5 Collector's Edition. And for a person with a vendetta, i sure paid 20 bucks again for Persona 4 Golden on Steam despite owning the Vita version. And for a person with a vendetta, i sure logged a *lot* of time in various Persona games over 3 generations.

Since when does pointing out the massive focus one IP gets compared to the other mean "having a vendetta"?

It's not even some outlandish take to wish Atlus would stop with shitting out spin-off games and get fucking going with a game that's been announced for about 3 1/2 years. With nothing but one concept trailers since.

They still want spin-offs? Well do it like they do now with Scramble, outsource.

And also, no, TMS is a Nintendo game.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
SMT: Dancing Furiously All Night

Look me in the eyes and tell me you don't want an entire game composed of SMT protags dancing in post-apocalyptic cyberpunk clubs to synthwave. Tell me you don't want to attack and dethrone YHVH with the power of funk.

It's canon Aleph (aka the first Godslayer in the series) is good at dancing. In my headcanon he should be cheering the Demi-Fiend when he goes to fight the final boss.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This is borderline console war dressed as ATLUS war considering Persona is a Sony exclusive series and SMT a Nintendo exclusive series.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
It's not even some outlandish take to wish Atlus would stop with shitting out spin-off games and get fucking going with a game that's been announced for about 3 1/2 years. With nothing but one concept trailers since.

Again, for someone who likes the series so much according to your own words you dont seem to remember how fucking long it took to get anything persona 5 other than that "you are slave" teaser. Stop pretending this is a favouritism to persona and putting SMT aside when the same thing happened to persona too, it's an Atlus thing

This is borderline console war dressed as ATLUS war considering Persona is a Sony exclusive series and SMT a Nintendo exclusive series.

we just got a persona game on steam

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Again, for someone who likes the series so much according to your own words you dont seem to remember how fucking long it took to get anything persona 5 other than that "you are slave" teaser. Stop pretending this is a favouritism to persona and putting SMT aside when the same thing happened to persona too, it's an Atlus thing

The sheer amount of spinoffs is the proof for favouritism? Like, it's DIRECTLY in front of everyone's eyes?

And if you think that transition to HD didn't play a part in P5's long dev time, then i don't know what's there to say more. We can stop this.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
A 8 years old expanded re-release of a PS2 game isn't really indicative of the series history

its a pretty big step considering the series history though. SMT was also nintendo only before being sony only. point remains that discussing the series involves more than just one console maker so no, its not borderline console war

The sheer amount of spinoffs is the proof for favouritism? Like, it's DIRECTLY in front of everyone's eyes?

And if you think that transition to HD didn't play a part in P5's long dev time, then i don't know what's there to say more. We can stop this.

spinoffs and rereleases are different things so we certainly can stop this if you want to play coy about it

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, I'm not sure where Persona can go without rebooting the whole gameplay style, and I suspect it'll be the same kind of story and go on forever, so let's SMT pls

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
Sacrifice is such a mean word.

I would like to say that SMT narrative is way more appealing to me. I do like all the moral stuff, the way you can diverge your path, and how they criticize humanity as in whole.

I think that the sales of Persona 3, and forward, has really affected what Atlus wants from the franchise. We got Devil Survivor, IV Apocalypse and Dx2 Liberation; they do not look as the main SMT series or past games we had. I mean, I like them but the gothic style fitted way better, although it may be very unpopular with the mass.

And we all keep saying "But, it's Atlus and they are having some difficulties with HD, they can't have the same output of games that we had on 3DS" but... We had three dancing games, we had Scramble (a collaboration, but it is there), we had Tokyo Mirage (which I love). They can do it, but for SMT it's not really worth it right now.

Sorry if my post was way longer than what... should had been. I just have all this in my inside because I'm so passionate about the franchise. BUT! I would prefer more SMT, more experimental narrative and more JRPG branches than the dancing ones or the good but strange 3DS crossovers.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
They could kill persona and piss on personas grave and the SMT people actually want wouldnt come back anyway. Recent atlus output already showed them "casualizing" SMT mainline to the point Strange Journey Redux and Apocalypse are as overly anime (if not more) than persona. Even if Atlus decides to kill persona for whatever dumb reason youre not getting more nocturnes and digital devil saga, youre getting more apocalypses and if lucky, devil survivors.

And if it means more games like apocalyse which i freaking hated, i would kill SMT for nothing. Literally nothing. Just kill it for funsies, let's make a big bonfire with its corpse and celebrate pointless murder.

Here's a picture to cheer you up.

images

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
It's canon Aleph (aka the first Godslayer in the series) is good at dancing. In my headcanon he should be cheering the Demi-Fiend when he goes to fight the final boss.

Imagine challenging Metatron to a dance-off as Louis Cyphre set to a remix of the archangel battle theme. I unironically want this now.

Imagine if they brought this back: