• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how The Colbert Report would have been throughout the Trump administration. I personally would have found it hard to laugh at any Republican, fake or not. I think Stephen has been much more effective on Late Show.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Colbert Report had it's time and place. I agree, the satire would not have worked in this current political climate.

I know people have been critical of.his Late Show but I think it is really good and poignant.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Stephen was getting tired of The Colbert Report and wanted to move on. Him being forced to stay on longer than he wanted wouldn't have led to great comedy, I think, regardless of how the Trump administration would have affected the appeal of the show's humor.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved watching the Colbert Report, but ultimately I'm glad it ended when it did. I dunno if Colbert could have really pulled it off when the real right wing pundits have become more diabolical and unhinged. Would his character have looked much different? The maga clowns would probably think he was serious.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
At the time I really wished he had kept the show going but maybe he saw the writing on the wall and knew it was best to change course when the opportunity presented itself.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Colbert Report 100%. Number 1 threat to America? BEARS.

Reality has a liberal slant.

Last edited:

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Colbert Report was funnier and more entertaining, but I'm not sure how much longer it could have gone. He retired the character at the right time, especially since he was understandably getting tired of it.

tbh, I'm not especially interested in The Late Show and didn't end up sticking with it, but I don't think it would have been wise to prop up a great show too far past its prime.

It would have been sad to see it end up like The Simpsons.

element

Oct 27, 2017
Colbert Report was great for its time, but how can you have a show based on satire when the world now is beyond anything actually satirical? It just wouldn't work.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I preferred the Colbert Report, but satire is dead with Trump. A Late Show has been finding its feet and honestly has been a lot more enjoyable with only Evie as an audience.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I think if he had truly tried to keep up the fake conservative act during Trump he would have literally driven himself insane.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I can imagine some people going "the only news worth following is newsmax, oan and colbert report! they say it like it is"

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I agree with the idea that the Colbert Report character would not work in the current political climate. I do enjoy the Late Show, but I much preferred Colbert Report. I miss the Stewart/Colbert duo voice in politics more than I can possibly convey in words.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The Report. I can just imagine Colbert's character going all in on embracing the lunacy on display this year. It'd have been something else.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Right-wing media is so much more deeply right now with Newsmax and OANN. I don't think satirical jabs at FOX News would hit as hard as it used to.

Especially over the last 4 years when they couldn't care less about being seen as violently racist.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I didn't make it through Colbert reports full run, stopped watching for a while but came back for the last few weeks. It was very funny for a while and a perfect follow up to the Daily Show every night but eventually I grew tired of the character. Better know a district and other satellite interviews had some real gold but stuff like the Word and other in studio segments were just too repetitive at times. Colbert's late show feels a lot like that too. It has good jokes and Stephen really is a funny guy, but when it was in it's live format it was really repetitive as well. I know a lot if not all of late night tv is like that but the repetition is just too much for me.

I'll always say the Jon Stewart daily show did it best by having themes like "Mess-o-potamia" or "Indecision 2008" and then doing a story on the subject quickly. It had segments too but also had a recurring cast of correspondents which kept them fresh. The Daily show still.does this and its a formula that works really well.

Now Harvey Birdman or Strangers with candy Colbert, baby you got a stew going.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Times have changed, Trump killed satire and subtext in the way Colbert used it. Even if he wasn't restrained by network broad appeal, his bit wouldn't have worked.

Honestly Stewart bowed out at the right time, or atleast early enough to avoid having his routine exposed in real time.

Uncle at Nintendo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jan 3, 2018
Yes, CR was the best political satire show of all time, its just stunning to me how unfunny The Late Show is.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I agree with the sentiment that The Colbert Report ended at the right time, though I didn't see it back then. The base he was lampooning became his joke representation in real life. It was like a prophecy fulfilled.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
No way the Colbert Report would work in this era of Trump Political News. It ended at the right time. Can you imagine Trump supporters just taking CR at face value? Because you know they would, and I bet you that by itself would have killed Colbert inside.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah like Portlandia that show was a product of its time and probably wouldn't be as appreciated today.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I'm unsure whether it would still work, but I think I'd rather see him try something like the colbert report again rather than what he is currently doing, which I'm not into at all.

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Don't think Colbert Report format could have gone on such long time. On the other hand his current show is just another late night show and can't stand the format. He should have done another political show.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Colbert report worked in an era where the absurd extremes to which the character worked were still rooted in hyperbole and theoreticals. You can't do that with Trump. However extreme you go, Trump will not only meet it, he'll go further.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Times have changed. The Colbert character would no longer be seen as a parody but probably a voice of reason after Trump.

Colbert is far better off being host of the Late Show than having to twist his parody even further.

Last edited:

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
I bow to virtually no-one in my fandom of TCR, but as others have said: it had run its course. A big factor is the Stephen wanted to do something else and no longer play a blowhard and you've gotta respect that, even if his Late Show is a little bland in comparison (still frequently good though).

Jordan Klepper tried what was basically a Trump-era version of TCR for a while and it was very hit and miss, running into the you-can't-parody-this-stuff problem more than once. There's a reason he's better when he simply goes to Trump rallies and lets the morons talk.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the "fake Republican" character had an expiration date, and that was the moment leading up to Trump officially running. Him playing the comedy straight was the best route for the late night format.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Report was funnier than his current show, but I'm not sure how much of that is because of the character and how much is because of the network making him blander.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
I think Colbert has been doing a great job with his late night show and am glad he retired his Colbert Report persona. Considering the conspiracy theories that are considered mainstream right wing news these days, I don't really know how you could try to top that as satire at this point. Instead, the talk show format lets Colbert get plenty of commentary and criticism in playing things straight, with laughs included. Also, I always enjoy seeing him chatting with Jon Batiste - it cheers me up to see the enthusiasm and affection they both have for the show and each other.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Honestly, I think the over-the-top Republican satire these days is misplaced. His wit is put to much better use on The Late Show now.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The Colbert Report wouldn't work as a series today, but it might be nice to do a one-off revisit to the character, just to check in with how he's changed since the show went off the air

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
The Late Show isn't my cup of tea, but there's no denying Colbert is insanely talented.

It's been cool to see his success in the entertainment industry.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

You.......you can't satirize this shit. I wasn't aware that SNL practically copy/pasted this hearing in their cold open until I saw this hearing clip this morning.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Jon Stewart or Colbert would have survived 4 years of this admin, the reality Colbert created with the character is actual reality for half the country. Like would the character go even farther right or become a critic of Trumpism and created Colbertism as some kind of alternative? Sweetness would have enjoyed it though, probably have gone to a bunch of rallies.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Colbert Report probably ended at the right time for the reasons you listed, but it was so much better than his Late Show. He feels so watered down these days in comparison so I stopped watching a couple years ago.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Colbert Report but I don't know how the show would function during the Trump/Fox News/OANN era. I feel like if Stephen had stuck it out a few years into Trump and cut it there we might have been able to avoid SOME of this idiocy but I can't see him being able to keep the gag going for the full four years of his presidency.

I'm more saddened by Jon leaving the Daily Show, honestly. John Oliver is doing good work and I love Last Week Tonight but he isn't nearly agile enough to keep up with the insane maelstrom of stupid this presidency has been. We needed Jon's voice. Trevor Noah is good when he has the right topic to get really animated about but honestly his incarnation of the Daily Show is just easy to forget about most of the time. I remember to watch Seth Meyers more frequently and I don't even like Seth Meyers outside of A Closer Look.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
The current show as him being Letterman's successor is fine. As much as I loved the Colbert Report, the show couldn't do as much with Obama's "boring" presidency. And it looks like Colbert was tired of doing the same character for so long. Hence the much needed change of scenery. I'd rather Colbert be happy trying new things than doing retreads he's already bored with.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't ask Colbert to go back to the CR exactly as is, but I would appreciate more of the creative energy and ingenuity from that period. Outside of his monologue, my wife and I find that a lot of his non-interview segments fall flat on The Late Show. The only segments I tend to like are the ones cribbed from CR anyway. His interviews are generally always solid, so no complaints there. But when I think back to CR and all his epic-tier skits/segments: The Word, his parody video for 'Get Lucky', Better Know a District, his segments he did with his BIL lawyer exposing how super PACs work, his coverage of migrant workers and the hearings he attended in Washington. Etcetera. So much of that could be adapted without the need to pose as a fictional character to do it. But I guess the audience isn't ready for it? IDK.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
OG Colbert Report was a different kind of program where he was trying to do something explicitly based on political satire. That was a great show serving that purpose.

Current Late Show with Colbert is a standard issue late night TV talk and variety show. It doesn't have the same energy as the Colbert Report...but it's not supposed to. It only ended up doing more political stuff because, well...it launched around the same time that the current president's campaign started up with its more outlandish events/claims, and moreover - the current president won.

I like what the current Late Show is, especially relative to its competition in Fallon and Kimmel.