• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

7 or 2R?

• Resident Evil VII

Votes: 310 29.9%
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake

Votes: 728 70.1%

• Total voters

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
I would like to try RE7 but it just looks too scary and I think I will die 30 minutes into it. Even RE2R looks scary as hell. This is why I only played RE5 and RE6. Maybe one of these days I will try RE4.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy with either, but i'd rather it expand on the RE7 formula. I feel like there is a lot of potential there that some refinement could really bring out.
I would like to try RE7 but it just looks too scary and I think I will die 30 minutes into it. Even RE2R looks scary as hell. This is why I only played RE5 and RE6. Maybe one of these days I will try RE4.
You'd probably quite enjoy RE4.

Oct 25, 2017
Leon Kennedy is the exact same character regardless of whether you're playing in first person or third person. James Bond is one of the most iconic fictional characters ever, and he's not suddenly less charming and Bond-like in first person. People buy a James Bond game for James Bond.

Now I'm sure there are some people who don't like first person Bond games. They prefer the likes of Everything or Nothing or Blood Stone. This ideological split comes up a lot. But regardless, James Bond being the protagonist of a James Bond game is not a non-factor. We see something similar with Joanna Dark, incidentally. Some people feel that Perfect Dark games such as the one MS are rumoured to be making need to be third person because they don't see the point of a female protagonist "that you can't see when you're playing." The ideological split between first and third person is stark, and a little one sided. There are people even on this forum who outright refuse to play first person games. You don't see many people who refuse to play third person ones.

Also, we have a first person mod for RE2 Remake already. It works pretty darn well, although it's not as polished as a native implementation yet. Some people talk about first person RE2 as some kind of hypothetical. It's a reality. A work in progress reality, but a reality nonetheless.

The sticking point design-wise is the third person cutscenes. In first person games, third person cutscenes tend to be more jarring. Switching perspectives for non-interactive sections expose the disconnect between actually playing the game and essentially watching a movie. RE7 strives to preserve perspective as much as possible, even if it requires using weird gimmicks like the VHS tapes.

When you play RE7, playing as Ethan, playing as Zoe, playing as Chris, and playing as Joe -- these are all distinct experiences. Distinct characters often with different mechanics. Even playing as Mia is different to playing as Ethan due to the shift in pacing and sudden introduction of mechanics. These characters are not non-factors.

I disagree. A character animating and reacting to what's happening on screen, alongside audio responses, in third person is different than in first person, and you don't get the same impact.

Further, your talking absolutely abstract for whatever reason when my examples were concrete and actually how they were implemented in the game. Ethan feels largely like a non-character. The combat and bosses in RE7 are janky. This is not coming from some dislike of FPS games, but rather what I want the next RR game to be based off two recent entries and how they play.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Guarding was something I virtually never used on my first playthrough. Think I used it once when the game first prompts it then ignored it. It was only in Madhouse that I actually seriously used the mechanic. I ended up appreciating it on Madhouse.

As for it making sense, I don't see the issue. It doesn't even protect you from all damage. Just lowers the damage you recieve, which makes sense.

I like the guard mechanic a lot, it's a nice bit of arcadey gameplay that is integrated well aesthetically. It's a risk/reward mechanic because in order to block, Ethan's arms block the screen and you slow down so your mobility and POV are severely hindered, and there's an element of timing as well since a well timed block soaks up more damage than just holding it down and eating attacks. I found it to be a clever and simple way to add a little depth to the combat, and one that works uniquely due to the first person view.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I want another game in the style of both, I don't care which way they do re8 as long as we get a re:spinoff that has the other.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Further, your talking absolutely abstract for whatever reason when my examples were concrete and actually how they were implemented in the game. Ethan feels largely like a non-character.
It's just how Ethan is written. It's not like Ethan was the only playable character in RE7. I can't see how Joe Baker was a non-character. Nor Chris Redfield.
The combat and bosses in RE7 are janky.
I can't really agree there considering RE7 has IMO the best bosses the series has ever seen. And the combat is excellent. Again, possibly the best the series has seen mechanically.

Here's the thing. We know how RE2 Remake plays in first person. It's not like we have to sit around and imagine how it might be. We have a mod that implements an increasingly polished first person mode. For all practical purposes, RE2 Remake is a game which allows you to swap between first and third person. I'd argue it's a vastly superior game in first person in terms of horror and atmosphere.

You know, if Capcom implemented first and third person modes in their games off the bat, this debate basically wouldn't exist. It's not like first person modes are some massive amount of work. Converting an FPS game to TPS is extremely problematic. (You have issues with third person navigation in cramped spaces, issues with aiming, room size, etc.) Converting a TPS game to FPS is in some cases trivial. It's a win-win, basically.

Last edited:

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
RE7 was a test and it failed. Go on RE2R style!

Aug 27, 2018
I completely enjoyed RE7 and thought it was one of the better games in a year filled with incredible games. That being said, I want the next RE game to play like RE2 Remake. RE2 Remake is incredible and one of the best games Capcom has put out in years.

Jul 24, 2018
Guarding was something I virtually never used on my first playthrough. Think I used it once when the game first prompts it then ignored it. It was only in Madhouse that I actually seriously used the mechanic. I ended up appreciating it on Madhouse.

As for it making sense, I don't see the issue. It doesn't even protect you from all damage. Just lowers the damage you recieve, which makes sense.
I mean trying to block a Chainsaw with your arms might not mean a killing blow but it will definitely hurt as much. I think my issue relays to having to rely on it because despite the first person view, Ethan is as slow as a snail crossing the desert, which I hated it. I found it tough to dodge enemies unlike in the other titles. Same as Revelations, where the dodge mechanic is key but it is ridiculously hard to use.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I'm fine with either, but if I had to chose I'd probably lean towards the style of Resident Evil 2 Remake. Resident Evil 7 was a great game but the first person view and its combat was a bit too slow and clunky for me.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean trying to block a Chainsaw with your arms might not mean a killing blow but it will definitely hurt as much. I think my issue relays to having to rely on it because despite the first person view, Ethan is as slow as a snail crossing the desert, which I hated it. I found it tough to dodge enemies unlike in the other titles. Same as Revelations, where the dodge mechanic is key but it is ridiculously hard to use.
You don't have to rely on it at all outside madhouse difficulty. You can literally ignore the mechanic the entire game and get though the game without issue.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
RE7 should just fuck off and be a new IP.

''House of Nightmare'' or some other shit like that.

That way we didn't have to choose, RE fans gets true Resident Evil experience like RE2 Remake while RE7 fans get the kind of VR experience they want.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
RE7 should just fuck off and be a new IP.

''House of Nightmare'' or some other shit like that.

That way we didn't have to choose, RE fans gets true Resident Evil experience like RE2 Remake while RE7 fans get the kind of VR experience they want.

Wait so RE7 wasn't a true RE experience?

Man some RE's fan's hatred of RE7 makes me hope both RE8 and RE9 follow it to the letter.

Deleted member 43446

User requested account closure
Banned
May 15, 2018
I'm ok with it being like 7 since 3 is also in development and more than likely will play as RE2R, going on different directions would help keep things fresh.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes we are and we won't stop giving this feedback to Capcom, ever.

If RE8 ends up being third person, you are welcome.
If you're the one I have to blame for Capcom ditching first person, so be it.

But regardless, Resident Evil is a lot of things. True Resident Evil isn't a thing. The series has evolved and changed a lot. Fixed camera, OTS, FP. It's all Resident Evil.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
Pretty sure RE8 will be FP game. They won't ditch it after one very succesfull game and I'm glad. RE7 is such a gem I want them to get another shot at it. REmakes can stay TP.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I really liked 7, but I'm far more comfortable playing Resident Evil in third person. I think first person would make for a great sub series, but I think the main (and revelations) should stay in third person.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE2 please. Big reason I still haven't bought RE7 is I just don't like first person games most of the time.

Veldin451

Feb 1, 2019
Talos I
First person is much scarier, but for the love of god crank the running speed up a little bit. Ethan's full running speed in RE7 feels like a light jog, and it makes exploring/backtracking a chore.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remake Style for every future Game.
The Games itself are better when done in that way/designed around it and at least on PC you can see that with a FPS Mod REmake2 shits on RE7 even though not designed for it.

Make a 2nd Team that continues with FPS VR supported Spinoffs

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're the one I have to blame for Capcom ditching first person, so be it.

But regardless, Resident Evil is a lot of things. True Resident Evil isn't a thing. The series has evolved and changed a lot. Fixed camera, OTS, FP. It's all Resident Evil.
I mean if the feedback makes an RE game I actually want to play again then yeah I hope they get that feedback.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, this is more of a question whether the player prefers First person perspective or Third person. Played both recently. I like seeing the characters in the scenarios and reacting rather than being the character itself in particular with Horror games. Actions seems more interesting that way rather than the narrow perspective of what you see happening.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Tough choice, I loved both RE7 and RE2R but I'm leaning towards wanting RE8 to be like RE2R

Either way, I'm just looking forward to RE8

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just how Ethan is written. It's not like Ethan was the only playable character in RE7. I can't see how Joe Baker was a non-character. Nor Chris Redfield.

I can't really agree there considering RE7 has IMO the best bosses the series has ever seen. And the combat is excellent. Again, possibly the best the series has seen mechanically.

Here's the thing. We know how RE2 Remake plays in first person. It's not like we have to sit around and imagine how it might be. We have a mod that implements an increasingly polished first person mode. For all practical purposes, RE2 Remake is a game which allows you to swap between first and third person. I'd argue it's a vastly superior game in first person in terms of horror and atmosphere.

You know, if Capcom implemented first and third person modes in their games off the bat, this debate basically wouldn't exist. It's not like first person modes are some massive amount of work. Converting an FPS game to TPS is extremely problematic. (You have issues with third person navigation in cramped spaces, issues with aiming, room size, etc.) Converting a TPS game to FPS is in some cases trivial. It's a win-win, basically.

Ugh, the flashlight gives me Doom³ vibes.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Remake Style for every future Game.

Make a 2nd Team that continues with FPS VR supported Spinoffs

This so much, why can't we have both.

RE7 fans will disagree though, they want everyone else to accept the first person experience and the 3rd person RE fans should just deal with it.

RE2 Remake is the best Resident Evil experience since REmake and RE4, but apparently RE7 fans disagree.