Would you pay $600 for Next-Gen at launch?

• Yes

Votes: 1,162 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 2,359 67.0%

• Total voters

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I'd buy PS5 at that price, sure.

But here's the thing. It ain't gonna be $600 and I doubt XSX will either.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
In a general sense I wouldn't really have a problem plunking down if I felt it was worthwhile, but I haven't seen anything with either piece of hardware that would justify that kind of price tag. Not when they can easily absorb flat pricing or a small loss.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
I paid £425 at launch for PS3. Insane waste of money, must have been way more with all the games etc, but I was happy back then. I will probably get one on launch this time no matter the cost but I hope it's at least better value than that console!

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I wouldn't buy one at launch, no...but because of the games, not the price. $600 is actually more than reasonable considering the impressive hardware that's in both the PS5 and XSX. I'm waiting for both the games and for some possible launch-unit issues, as well as possible revisions for both down the line.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
This might be the first gen since Dreamcast I skip the launch window. With Covid, no big first party games announced, and my SO and I closing on a house in September I may just wait. Before I was excited for both PlayStation and Xbox, as well as a new OLED to replace my B7. Now those are all pipe dreams as I look at all the furniture we have to buy and the lack of Halo.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Quite honestly I'm fortunate to have my job and a ton of extra money saved up since I don't go out anymore because Corona. In that sense, I wouldn't balk at an extra $100.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
I might consider it if I didn't have a PC and if console gaming was my most important hobby.

But I do have a PC, and I only buy consoles when they have enough exclusives to make the buy-in worth it to me. So, no. Haaaaard no.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I am getting a PS5 this fall regardless of the price.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
That was the budget I had but honestly I am close to just upgrading my pc, there seems to be no must have experience those platforms are launching with, and the real launch seems to be more towards 2021, I cant wait to play GT7 or Forza but day 1 just to play an update of spiderman or some enhanced xbox one game it is making no sense to upgrade at that price anymore.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully I'm spending £500 - 600 having bought 3-5 games and a second controller but I'm getting a PS5 regardless. It's my birthday at the end of November, so between that and Xmas, I know I'll be gifted money at the very least that will go towards getting anything I feel I had to miss out on for launch day.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, hell I'd probably wait for them to be almost half that if it's the launch price, because I'm not pay 500+ either so would probably be waiting awhile and might as well wait for a great price at that point (like £350).

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
tenor.gif

lmao

Probably. It wouldn't be a frivolous purchase for me, but I'd figure it out.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
I have about 900 set aside for next gen. At 599.99 that's about 655 bucks after tax. Add a single 60 dollar game and I'm at $720. That's a bit much. I would probably still get it but I wouldn't be happy unless it just surpasses all expectations

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If the machine is indeed fully BC with my PS4 library, then I literally have no reason to keep my PS4 Pro. So I'll transfer whatever digital games are on the internal HDD to my external SDD, wipe the machine, get it nice and clean, then fucking sell it. That alone would make up for any additional expenses I may have on the PS5. With the exception of my backwards compatible PS3, I usually sell or gift my previous consoles. I generally had no need for the older machines once the new one is released, granted I can play my old library on the new machine.

I'm very, very curious about the backwards compatibility of the PS5. I have a massive library of games (many of which I've literally never booted up once) that I'd love to install on my PS5, and get to them eventually. I really don't want to have an extra console hooked up to the TV if I don't have to. I already have my PS4 Pro, Switch hooked up to the tv, and occasionally the PS3 if I really want to play a game I can't play on PS Now (of which there are many sadly).

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I would but that would be my upper limit and there would have to be some very intriguing launch games.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
They'd really have to make it worth my while. I'm talking an included second controller, or a coupon for a free digital download of any game, or a whole year of both PS+ and PS Now.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I would buy a Series X for $600, I would have to wait for Horizon 2 or Demon's Souls to pay $600 for a PS5

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would pay it, but I am not really excited about any of the next gen game we've seen so far. Everything we've seen from Sony and Microsoft just look like current gen PC games. I remember the first time I saw the previews for Killzone Shadow Fall. That was a "wow" moment that got me excited before the start of this gen, but so far I haven't seen anything from Sony or Microsoft that left me with a similar impression. I'm kind of leaning towards probably not buying either console at launch.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I have purchased the PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 within the first year of their launch so judging from my past behavior I'd usually say Yes with no hesitation but I have a mortgage and 2 kids now. I'm also the type of person that likes to have the more powerful version of a system. If it's $499 for the high end sku then I am all in. If the top of the line SKU is going to be over $500, then I probably will wait. Big prices like that on console hardware tends to fall fast.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Hahaha no way in hell.

Ideally 300. 399 at the max. Anything else naaaah I can wait. The launch games would have to be fucking stellar.

Big Boss

Oct 27, 2017
Yes for PS5, no for Xbox.
600 bucks for 5+ years of gaming at a relatively high level in terms of gfx, great first party support and the hard ware is mostly reliable.
Pretty great value if you ask me. Only a 120 a year. I pay that much for Amazon prime and dont use it nearly as much as I would a PS5

Beast780

Jan 28, 2018
I think $600 is on the high end of what they can get away with. I think personally $500 is the sweet spot. I'm not putting what I'm willing to spend out there because I don't want to give the companies the wrong idea.

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
Don't most ppl "buy" those on payments rather buying them outright? Not quite the same thing.

I doubt you can "buy" a console on monthly payments.
Point well taken, but you actually can get an Xbox One on loan-type payments with the Xbox All Access program. Presumably something similar will be announced for Series X. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-all-access

As for me, at $600...I don't think so. I'll check back and maybe buy in once we get to year 2.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
$600 usd translates to $800 cad; if I'm spending that much on day one, I'd rather just upgrade my PC for the first year or two of the gen instead and then wait on a Black Friday/Boxing Day deal. Given Microsoft's push for gamepass and the cross-gen trend of games, I'm happy to wait a bit until there's a sale or a bundle with an extra controller or a couple games included. No need to rush into something day one if I can still play new games on my existing platform.

I transitioned to Xbox One when there was a Christmas bundle with a couple of assassins creed games included and it was on sale for $50 off; I'll probably do the same this time around.

Edit: if series S is actually a thing, and it launches significantly cheaper, I will maybe consider it given that I don't yet have a 4K tv, then swap it later in the gen for an X when I upgrade my display. But that's an awful lot of qualifiers for a day one purchase.

Bingle Bango

Sep 13, 2018
I think the value in hardware is there for $600 but I don't think I can personally justify that. I'm leaning towards the digital PS5, and I'm hoping for $400 or $450 max. For launch I'm looking at just a better console to play some PS4 games I missed like FFVIIR, Sekiro, and Last of Us 2. Plus Cyberpunk. My PS4 is on death's door, so I may just wait it out. I'm deeply conflicted about it.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
PS5 $499 without Dual Sense controller
PS5 Digital Edition with a DualSense controller, $499,

Xbox Series X $499 without a controller

Xbox Series S $349 with a controller

Xbox Series S: $299 without a controller.

Consoles normally coming with a controller will be sacrificed to keep PS5 and Xbox Series X from going above $499

PS5 Digital Edition still costs $499 but comes with a DualSense
Xbox Series S comes with a controller at $349, but the console itself is $200 less than Xbox Series X plus the cost of a controller.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Ps5 will be 550, digital 500
Xsx 500

Xss really hard to call, cos I think ms is gonna lowball it massively to get ahead on this gen. 300 or maybe even 250 I think is possible

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 $499 without Dual Sense controller
PS5 Digital Edition with a DualSense controller, $499,

Xbox Series X $499 without a controller

Xbox Series S $349 with a controller

Xbox Series S: $299 without a controller.

Consoles normally coming with a controller will be sacrificed to keep PS5 and Xbox Series X from going above $499

PS5 Digital Edition still costs $499 but comes with a DualSense
Xbox Series S comes with a controller at $349, but the console itself is $200 less than Xbox Series X plus the cost of a controller.
If neither top of the line console includes a controller, I'll be sticking with my Switch