• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you consider purchasing a Playstation retro console?

• Yes

Votes: 565 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 442 43.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 59803

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 6, 2019
I just took it to a computer repair shop that reballed the thermal paste (I think I'm using that phrase correctly) and cleaned out the insides. They even replaced the fan for me since the one that was in there was not OEM.

Cool, thanks. I think I've seen some guys in a retro Facebook group I'm in talk about doing that kind of thing for others. Must check it out more!

xem

Oct 31, 2017
yes, as long as it had 4k, auto hdr, etc enhancements similar to what Xbox is pioneering on console

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I don't have tremendous interest or nostalgia for the PS-PS3 back catalogue. And games that I would want to play, I probably can play via remasters or BC on another system.

jungomitis

Apr 8, 2020
For a $100? I might consider it. But like the SNES classic... I'll be happy to own it but probably won't use it much

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
Everyone who voted yes: would you buy it for $700?

That's ultra niche device which needs a lot of engeneering effort.

Just buy a PS3.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
What I want is not a console, but a portable.

The Vita is almost perfect as it is; a slightly more powerful one that could play digital copies of PS2 games would be an easy sell for me. It also wouldn't require a free HDMI port on my TV.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Couldn't Sony offer a lot of those games on a streaming service? I don't even see the need for it anymore apart from collecting dust.

Oct 27, 2017
I would buy that in a heartbeat. I wonder if it would be cost effective to just make a limited run of the original hardware and have everything on the board of if that's too costly.

of course it won't happen but I can dream

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
There's definitely a market for it, especially considering how legacy consoles will eventually die. I'd be interested in one for sure if it can literally play all games without any issues.

Last edited:

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
I get the preservation and retro gaming angle, but I barely have enough time to play new games much less to play old games I've played before for the sake of nostalgia.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
You're either asking for a powerful PC for emulation, or for Sony to basically just re-release the launch phat PS3 with Cell and Emotion

Neither of which will be anywhere near a "retro console" price tag

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'd definitely rather buy one that Analogue made (to use the example in OP). I would trust them to make it a better product than Sony after the PS Classic.

Analogue are kings of this. My Super NT is incredible.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
So... a 60 GB PS3?

For real though, I'm good with PC emulation. Sony's terrible at preservation, but luckily we have one of the best inventions in gaming: emulation.

My Ryzen 5800X + 3070 build can't happen soon enough.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if Sony was on board with PS3 emulation (I agree about the reluctance bit), PS3 emulation is not that simple. They'd still be a loooooong way off from having a highly compatible, official emulator.

Couldn't they just build off of rpcs3? Have settings predetermined and streamline it. It's a lot of work, but a community is doing the hard part.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I'd much rather pay ÂŁ50 more for a PS5 BC version that had a built in cell chip to help with PS3 emulation. PS1/2 can easily be emulated via software on the PS5 regardless.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Considering the quality of emulation nowadays for PS1 and PS2 it would have to be either very cheap or high quality

For PS3 games there's still a few titles that are interesting and not on current consoles one way or another, but that's not much of a draw especially when Online servers were shutdown for most of them

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Fuck yes. For me the main draw is PS2. I still have a working PS3, so I can play PS1 and PS3 games... but I have no working PS2 and my launch PS3 w/ PS2 BC bricked over 10 years ago now. YLOD. I have soooooo many old PS2 games I'd love to be able to play again.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Re-release a PSX that does PS1/2/3 with HDR/resolution/framerate enhancements

tumblr_ofgjksm9FF1t51kf8o2_1280.jpg

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't they just build off of rpcs3? Have settings predetermined and streamline it. It's a lot of work, but a community is doing the hard part.
Logistically, they could, they've used open-source emulators before. But it would never meet the strict standards to release as an officially endorsed product, at least on PS5 hardware.

Edit: You should watch the video if you haven't, because they interview the RPCS3 devs.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Sony doesn't give a shit about retro compatibility for their consoles, and with Jim Ryan at the helm of Playstation, I don't think it's going to change any time soon.

I looked at the consoles that Analogue made, the ones that play games from various devices, and how popular they are with enthusiasts.

If Sony were to put out a retro Playstation console that could play all of your PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs (similarly to the launch PS3), would you be interested in buying it? Hell, we could also put the PSP in there. I'm talking discs, here. That machine would read CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays and UMDs.

Honestly, I'd probably buy one. It's not ideal, of course. The right thing to do would be to keep retro compatibility alive with each new Playstation. But shit, if that's what it takes for old games to be preserved somehow, I'd be down. I have so many PS1, PS2 and PS3 games. I'd love having a modern box that could play all of them. Especially if there'd be some new bells and whistles in it, such as save states and an upscaler.
Throw in PSP (see UMDs mentioned above already) and Vita, and hell yeah, I'd be in! Willing to pay $500 if its done right, maybe a tad more. It's not going to happen though. You can't really do later hardware in FPGA for a reasonable price.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I'd pay extra for a PS5 with enhanced software-based BC for PS1/2/3/Portable/Vita games already in my library, and with a library available for purchase. Like, $200 extra. I'm in the minority but I would do it.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
I get the preservation and retro gaming angle, but I barely have enough time to play new games much less to play old games I've played before for the sake of nostalgia.

I agree with this. Sony should have released this idea in the middle of Covid and it would have sold like hot cakes. Now we are on the doorstep of new consoles and I couldn't be less excited to retro game. I could see this being a thing in a couple years, although maybe no device, just streaming access to everything.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah for sure.

At the moment I'm looking for an original PS3 but a new bespoke piece of kit that does it all will do too.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
If it was portable and had a good selection of games and was cheap........then maybe. Could be fun to revisit some of these games. But if it's like the PS Classic, hell no

Oct 27, 2017
I've kinda been over retro for a while now. Not because it's bad or anything but because I find Indies scratch the itch and the games are better than many of the games they take inspiration from.

Also PS2 and PS3 don't feel retro to me, but that's a me problem.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
i'd pay 199.99 for a product that plays ps1 2 and 3 discs and is super small. Idc about the ratio, just have it look okay and not blocky on the tv. Im not even asking for enhancements or boosts.

Oct 31, 2017
I would buy one so fucking fast. A dedicated retro device that played PlayStation 1-3 discs, and had a version of the PS Store that had a huge catalog of digital versions of those games. I'd especially buy it if it did some kind of upscaling/image quality enhancements.

I'd probably spend up to $200 for such a box, but I don't know if the economics would make sense for either Sony or the market looking to buy something like that.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Yes, definitely! Or just give me one that can play PS1 & PS2 games alone.

There's absolutely no excuse as to why Sony can't have PS1 & PS2 emulation on PS4 or PS5 right now.

radiotoxic

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, you can't ask a premium price for what would be basically a reedition of the launch PS3 (I'm not even considering the part about PSP), presumably in a small form factor. $150 and I'm in.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
If it means I can plug my old games into my new tv and play in a way that doesn't look like smeared shit, sure.
If it's a mini console, nah there's 95% chance that the library proposed wouldn't interest me anyway.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
No. I am only interested in replaying short games. Once games went 3D in general they became much larger and took longer to complete.

The PS2 one is kind of tempting if there was a way to buy the games online for it.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
The sheer size of PS3 games will make it so this never happens.

Nice to dream, though. Best thing Sony could do would be for the PS5 to be BC.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, almost every game I like is already remastered or playable on modern consoles. There's no reason for me to go back to consoles after the 16 bit era.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They could just put out a revised, smaller OG PS3 model and label it as Playstation Classic. You could probably get something as small as the super slim now-a-days and still retain compatibility.

What I'd prefer though are better upscaling solutions because it really sucked compared to the 360's.

You can get BC PS3s for ~$150 though.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, in fact I already purchased one (launch 60gb phat ps3).

It would be nice to have something smaller though.