IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Already working on leaving Brazil behind, my luck is that my SO is a software developer, so there's a lot of routes open for us. I have some friends in Halifax, so maybe.
But if you aren't a skilled worker, you're going to spend a shitload of money with education to immigrate.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't really agree with this just based on the fact that nobody chooses where they're born and I strongly believe that people have every right to travel around and find a place that they choose to call home. I've lived in multiple states across America, but nowhere quite felt as "home" as when I lived on the other side of the planet. I don't think anyone should be "forced" to stay somewhere just because they "lost" the roll of the dice.

If you're trying to argue we shouldn't have borders and anyone should live wherever they want, I agree with you. But we have a border and you're not just entitled to live on the other side of it because you want to. There are people in horrible impoverished and war torn countries who have been waiting years for an opportunity to move here. Again, I'm not saying we dont want Americans, but your country just way way way at the bottom of the list. That's it. Make your country a better place to live in the mean time.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Many people will say they'll "consider" it but the vast vast vast vast majority will never leave. Ever. If rich celebrities who have the means to leave the country and threaten it and don't follow through, average Americans ain't going anywhere

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I'm a NZ citizen so I will just go back there. I don't even mind if I have to pay $3,000 for the privilege of spending two weeks in quarantine.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nope, I think the Black population is like super low. I'd rather move to Atlanta and hold the fort down.

I wouldn't say its low so much as its concentrated to the big cities, namely Toronto and Montreal. I'm from a suburb nearby Toronto and growing up I had more black classmates than whites, the whole community was mainly working-class immigrants and minorities.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Where in Canada is like Bay Area? Honest question. Toronto? Vancouver?

Weather wise? Demographics? Scenery? Vancouver. It's a fucking awesome city.

More excitement, entertainment, tech and everything else? Toronto, and not even close.

I wouldn't say its low so much as its concentrated to the big cities, namely Toronto and Montreal. I'm from a suburb nearby Toronto and growing up I had more black classmates than whites, the whole community was mainly working-class immigrants and minorities.

Most multicultural city on the face of the planet!

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to be rude, but if you're not willing to put in the effort and time to make your own country a better place, and you're not in any kind of actual imminent danger, as a Canadian I don't think you should really even be considered for immigration or asylum. There are so many people in so many countries who have it so much worse and no way to actually improve their situations. Those are the people we need to welcome in first. Every US application for immigration should go to the very bottom of the pile imo. If you're willing to let your own country completely slide into fascism, racism and tyranny, what would you be willing to do for a country you don't even consider your home?

Most people I know feel the same. It's not that we don't "want" you here, it's that we want you to fix your mess down there first. It's like you getting drunk every night, trashing your house, and shitting all over your front lawn and then going up to your next door neighbor and going "My place sucks, can I crash with you?".

Everyone should have the right to improve their situation. None of the Americans posting here are responsible for the "slide into fascism, racism, and tyranny." In fact, a lot of us have been fighting it for longer than many of you have even been alive. When it comes down to the end, I'm not going to stick around, roll the dice, and hope the US doesn't become a version of 1940s Germany. "It could never happen here." - fuck that.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Everyone should have the right to improve their situation. None of the Americans posting here are responsible for the "slide into fascism, racism, and tyranny." In fact, a lot of us have been fighting it for longer than many of you have even been alive. When it comes down to the end, I'm not going to stick around, roll the dice, and hope the US doesn't become a version of 1940s Germany. "It could never happen here." - fuck that.

You are responsible for making your country a better place. If you choose not to, that's fair. I'm not encouraging you to not leave the US, I'm just encouraging you to not live here because we want people here who want to make this country a better place.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You are responsible for making your country a better place. If you choose not to, that's fair. I'm not encouraging you to not leave the US, I'm just encouraging you to not live here because we want people here who want to make this country a better place.
Your posts read as if you think that all 330M+ Americans personally led to Trump and all of the horrific policies he introduced.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Your posts read as if you think that all 330M+ Americans personally led to Trump and all of the horrific policies he introduced.

And yours, and other folks', reads like you think being an American should give you cart blanche to live wherever you want in the world. Maybe we should read more of what each other are saying instead of trying to read into what each other are saying.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sorry. Double post. I'm out. I've said my piece. I love Americans btw. I love your country. I want you to make it better.

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
Trudeau lost the popular vote to the Conservatives. We're probably looking at a Conservative government in Canada and Democract in US the next election cycle. That's something to consider

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I think people blindly saying "yes" haven't really looked into how difficult the process of immigration is; especially in a developed nation like Canada.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
I looked 12 years ago when I was about to graduate high school. I wouldn't be able to get citizenship then, and I haven't done anything now to change that. So if it were possible I would have already tried.

OP
OP
Shadownet

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Many people will say they'll "consider" it but the vast vast vast vast majority will never leave. Ever. If rich celebrities who have the means to leave the country and threaten it and don't follow through, average Americans ain't going anywhere
Most rich celebrities are also not the type of people that are suffering from police brutality and not being able to work due to covid-19 and have no saving go fall back upon.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And yours reads like you think being an American should give you cart blanche to live wherever you want in the world. Maybe we should read more of what each other are saying instead of trying to read into what each other are saying.
Not at all. I don't think Americans have any more right to emmigrate than others.
Personally, I've lived overseas and enjoyed it, but I have no intention of leaving the US now.
Your post about how Americans in particular are unwelcome is fairly clearly indicating that you hold individuals accountable for the actions of their government, at least when they're American. There's no real need to read into it.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I think people blindly saying "yes" haven't really looked into how difficult the process of immigration is; especially in a developed nation like Canada.

Isn't that part of the whole "consideration" part of the thread title though? Obviously choosing to immigrate is a huge decision and not really something everyone has the privilege of being able to do willy knilly.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not skilled or wealthy enough for the expat experience to any other country to not be systematically designed to try and keep me out at every step. Probably not.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I emigrated to Canada ten years ago and gained my permanent residency six years ago.

The whole process is difficult, filled with paperwork, and expensive. It's not as easy as deciding to move there and away you go

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Not everyone feels a strong sense of loyalty to the country they live in and all your post seem dismissive of how stressful and draining it can be for some people to want to bring change which is why living in another country is an option some consider.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I couldn't. I am on a life saving medication that unfortunately Canada's healthcare system has not been able to approve for the country. I believe they are stuck in negotiations with the manufacturer, though the NHS and other European countries have made agreements with the manufacturer so the approval might come soon. As long as Canada can't provide it I will stay in the US. If anyone is interested in reading about the drug and the hold-up with Canadian approval I'll link the article here:

Canada and Trikafta

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
Most rich celebrities are also not the type of people that are suffering from police brutality and not being able to work due to covid-19 and have no saving go fall back upon.
Don't kid yourself... Plenty of Canadians are unable to work due to covid with no savings to fall back on. Plenty of Canadians deal with police brutality. Is it better than in the US? maybe.. on the surface, but those problems exist here too.

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Trudeau lost the popular vote to the Conservatives. We're probably looking at a Conservative government in Canada and Democract in US the next election cycle. That's something to consider
You clearly haven't been paying attention to the polls; even with a major scandal, the LPC are still leading the CPC by a not insignificant margin at the moment. Not saying you can't have issues with the LPC's policies but assuming that the next Premier will be a Ford/Kenney-level con disaster is asinine, especially when we have a minority government during a pandemic; people are not going to want a massive shakeup at this point.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
You clearly haven't been paying attention to the polls; even with a major scandal, the LPC are still leading the CPC by a not insignificant margin at the moment. Not saying you can't have issues with the LPC's policies but assuming that the next Premier will be a Ford/Kenney-level con disaster is asinine, especially when we have a minority government during a pandemic; people are not going to want a massive shakeup at this point.

Conservatives in Canada have a personality problem. The people in their leadership are the blandest, most vanilla white guys imaginable (Harper, Scheer etc) and if they went the Trump route of going for a charismatic populist it would push too many people away to be viable.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
No. The only place I could survive winter would be Vancouver, which is way too expensive to buy a house. Even if I lived over an hour outside the city, I'm sure I still couldn't afford a place like I could buy here in the US.

OP
OP
Shadownet

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
And again, they have means. Most don't. That means most ppl are stuck
Yeah, they have the mean to. But they have no need to move, they're capable of riding this shit out. The average person most likely don't have the mean to ride it out without government assistance and they're the demographic most affected by all this.

Your logic that celebrities have the mean to move and they're not moving. Yeah, because they don't need to.
Don't kid yourself... Plenty of Canadians are unable to work due to covid with no savings to fall back on. Plenty of Canadians deal with police brutality. Is it better than in the US? maybe.. on the surface, but those problems exist here too.
Literally didn't say Canadians aren't dealing with all of this. But at least your government is pushing for changes in the right direction.

Ours is actively fighting against positive changes.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Yeah, they have the mean to. But they have no need to move, they're capable of riding this shit out. The average person most likely don't have the mean to ride it out without government assistance and they're the demographic most affected by all this.

Your logic that celebrities have the mean to move and they're not moving. Yeah, because they don't need to.

Literally didn't say Canadians aren't dealing with all of this. But at least your government is pushing for changes in the right direction.

Ours is actively fighting against positive changes.
And again if you don't have the means, you're not moving. It's really an impossibility. Forget celebrities. Talk about yourself or other average Americans. Without means you can't leave

Oct 27, 2017
I'm Asian-American and I live in the Bay Area. Assuming I can continue to afford living here, I'll stay put. It's unlikely that I would qualify to move to many other western nations and even if I did most wouldn't be any more diverse or culturally welcoming as where I already am.

OP
OP
Shadownet

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
And again if you don't have the means, you're not moving. It's really an impossibility. Forget celebrities. Talk about yourself or other average Americans. Without means you can't leave
That's not what your original point is though. Your post implied that most average Americans won't leave cause they don't want to, not because they don't have the mean to.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm in California so while things are still crap, they're not as bad as other states.

If it somehow got like, Haavara Agreement bad? I'd choose another country like Norway or NZ if they'd have me.

MarkN

Oct 13, 2018
As a Canadian, no offence but I wouldn't want Americans moving here in large numbers.

Jun 10, 2020
Texas
I wouldn't put any effort into it but if I could snap my fingers and be there with the same quality of life I have now I would definitely go

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I'm disabled. No country is gonna want me being a drain on their systems.