• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Must there be lightsabers?

• Yes

Votes: 106 38.0%
  • No

Votes: 173 62.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Of course there will be lightsabers in future Star Wars! ...right?

With the Skywalker saga coming to an end, the future movies could be set anywhere. Suppose it's in another galaxy, where Jedi, Sith, and their lightsabers aren't a thing. Would that be acceptable to you?

Personally, I'm leaving toward no. Lightsabers are the icon that sets Star Wars apart from everything else. It just wouldn't feel right without them.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There doesn't necessarily need to literally be a guy with a lightsaber in the story somewhere, but I do want stories that still feature the same galaxy we know.

Rogue One and Solo both almost had no lightsabers in them. And the Mandalorian hasn't had any so far.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fa0c1c4c4871d10264314939b099207e001f540d.jpg

and it was fucking great

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt they would ever do that in a mainline movie, but I'm more than welcome to no lightsabers.

I don't think one appeared so far in Mandalorian and it didn't even matter.

PS: I hate when polls are the opposite of the thread's name, grinds my gears.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars without Jedi or Sith would be so lame. I don't mind the occasional movie or TV show opt to skip that stuff but the mainline movies need them.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would have said no before The Mandalorian. But, Jedi and lightsabers are still the coolest thing in the universe.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'd kill for a Rogue Squadron movie that centers around space combat. I was always more into the vehicles as a kid, didn't give a shit about the force and what not.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. I'd love to see a smaller scale movie that has nothing to do with the jedi or anything. Doubt we'll get that.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Star Wars without Jedi or Sith would be so lame. I don't mind the occasional movie or TV show opt to skip that stuff but the mainline movies need them.
I'd actually be really interested in a movie or even saga where the heroes don't have lightsabers to fight back, but instead, they're an item to be feared when/if they show up...pretty much like they did in Rogue One.

OP
OP
Septimus Prime

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
For sure as long it's not about Jedi's and stuff.

There's a lot of cool star wars stories to tell without Jedi's and their laserswords.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They'll always find a way to squeeze them in somehow no matter where they go. They're too strong of a visual icon to completely erase.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Mandalorian, Rogue One (almost all of it), Solo...all without lightsabers.

TLJ doesn't even feature a proper lightsaber duel.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Absolutely, but I don't think any of the new trilogies will have the guts to remove such an iconic weapon.
Mandalorian, Rogue One (almost all of it), Solo...all without lightsabers.

TLJ doesn't even feature a proper lightsaber duel.
I count the throne room fight as a lightsaber fight of sorts

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd actually be really interested in a movie or even saga where the heroes don't have lightsabers to fight back, but instead, they're an item to be feared when/if they show up...pretty much like they did in Rogue One.

So like a Terminator movie, except it's an Inquisitor they're running from? And maybe the finale has them finding a lightsaber of their own to fight back?

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with no lightsabers but I do think there needs to be some kind of space-magic Force-y stuff. I like the "science fantasy" feel more than just a straight sci-fi, "people doing people things but with Future Technology" thing.

I'd also really like to see some kind of story that's a bit less black and white, or some "uses both sides of the Force" people, or something. I'm given to understand such characters exist(ed) in some of the novels (at least, the ones that are no longer canon), and for a brief moment Episode 7 looked to me like it could be heading that way with Rey, and I got excited.

*reads thread*
I also haven't seen Mandalorian because I don't have Disney+, but everyone seems to think it's good so it's entirely likely I'd enjoy it even if it is just people doing people things but with Future Technology (I don't know if it is or isn't that).

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I don't need the force either.

The SW universe needs to take some notes from Warhammer 40k and branch out. Like, way the fuck out.