iPhone users: Are AirPods Pro worth it?

• Yeah, they’re worth it.

Votes: 209 73.6%
  • I prefer different ones. (Name them plz)

Votes: 33 11.6%
  • Not really.

Votes: 34 12.0%
  • I listen to music exclusively on AM radio so this question doesn’t apply to me.

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I'm new to the whole wireless Bluetooth earbuds thing and I'm mainly just looking for a decent pair of earbuds to take calls, listen to music at a not-awful quality, have on my person in case they're needed, noise cancel, as long as they're easy to use.

I was looking at AirPods Pro and they're a cool $200 at most retailers I can find. My question is, do you think they're worth it?

I'm not big in the Apple ecosystem, I have an iPhone and an iPad. My laptop is a PC but I'm not dying to use earbuds on a PC. It'd be a nice perk but I'm not pining for it.

So what do ya think?

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I haven't used the Pros, but I do have the Gen 2 airpods and I love them.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I do recommend them even as an Android user.
There are some quirks if you're not entirely in the iPod eco-system - TV audio was an issue for me - but PC and phone were fine.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yes yes yes omg yes. You've got an iPhone and an iPad already. The AirPods will work seamlessly with them. Regular AirPods are amazing, but the Pros are truly incredible. They are the best headphones I've ever owned.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes especially if you use your iPhone or iPad to watch anything as you'll get spatial audio on apps like Disney+ or Apple TV+.

jack.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. They're great. They will work fine with your PC as long as it has bluetooth.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
Just got some Beats Studio Buds to replace my Galaxy Buds Pro which were pretty uncomfortable.

They feel much better in my ears and sound pretty good. I've never used AirPods but can vouch that these are pretty nice.

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017
They are incredible. Best product Apple has made.

You have to be an anti-Apple hipster to hate those things.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I held out for as long as I could. I thought they were dumb and overpriced.

Now that I have a pair, I would highly recommend them if you're on iOS. They work seamlessly, they sound great, and the noise cancelling is stellar.

Oct 25, 2017
I was only going to tell you to reconsider if you had an Android or something. If you have not one, but two Apple products, without a second thought, Airpod Pros are a no-brainer.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
The AirPods Pro are great, just get them.

They work super seamlessly with my LG CX which is nice.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the money I don't think you can really beat the oneplus buds z, if you like in ear buds anyway.

$40

Amazon.com: OnePlus Buds Z - True Wireless in-Ear Earbuds with Charging Case, White – Fast Charging, Deep Bass, Comfortable and Lightweight, IP55 : Everything Else

Amazon.com: OnePlus Buds Z - True Wireless in-Ear Earbuds with Charging Case, White – Fast Charging, Deep Bass, Comfortable and Lightweight, IP55 : Everything Else

images

Last edited:

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I like the technology, they just don't fit my ears comfortably and feel like they're about to fall out. I find the Pixel Buds A-Series to be pretty comparable, more comfortable and half the price, but no knock against airpods, plenty swear by em.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I just picked up some Pros for $179 during a Target sale. Great purchase and clearly better than my aging OG AirPods. The sound quality is very impressive.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
They're great. I bought one when I got my iphone 12 and I use it when i go on runs, zoom meetings, whatever. Sometimes I forget I have them on through the day until it runs out of battery.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As practical as their design is, I would advise purchasing a true wireless earbud from a brand that allows you to repair them at some point. Once an Airpod's battery dies, that's it, it's gone forever. They are designed to be impossible to repair whereas with, for example, Sony's famed WF-1000XM3 or Samsung's Galaxy Buds, both can be pried open with some care and their batteries replaced without too much of a hassle.

You do lose a bit of the convenience and effortless design of the Airpods, particularly if you are invested in the Apple ecosystem but that's a compromise I'm willing to make.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Oh also, I appreciate that Apple includes three sets of rubber ends. The mediums are a little big for my ears, but luckily, the smalls are very comfy while also creating a seal.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you have an iPhone they are absolutely worth it. Most convenient headphones or earbuds I've ever used and I'm generally skeptical of Apple products.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of picking up the Beats Flex, because it's a more affordable option. Anyone have experience with those?

If you don't mind the cord around your neck probably not a bad option if you need the apple w1 chip.

Tbh having had airpods I find that pretty overrated.

I had an iphone 11 (now an S21) and still have an ipad mini 5.

I have OnePlus buds z and they sound much better than airpods, and actually stay in my ears. Not better than the pros but honestly damn close. For $40 I think they're pretty unbeatable.

OnePlus buds z have the quick pairing on androids but I don't mind hitting a button and repairing Bluetooth really.

Oct 25, 2017
I got some as a gift, and they are really good, but I'm not sure I would have paid $200 for them myself.

Just throwing this out there, Samsung is selling 'like new' Galaxy Buds + for $50 on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/194212223008 . It even includes a 2-year warranty.

I have the Buds + and the Airpods pro, and I like them both.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I love mine. The sound is good but nothing amazing, but the noise cancelling is next level. Great headphones to take to the gym and block out everything other than your music. Plus they're tiny, charge super fast in the case, and work seamlessly with every other Apple product I use. If you have an iPad or MacBook in addition to an iPhone they're really versatile.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought spatial audio was only supported for AirPods Pro and AirPods Max?

Oh I do see on apple devices they are hardware locking Atmos.

That's really dumb.

Atmos for headphones should work with anything.

Good to know I can use it with my beats solo 3s I guess. I was wondering why I don't see any options for it.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
For me, the killer feature of Apple's AirPods is the easy device switching. If you have any desire to switch back and forth between your iPad and your iPhone, I would definitely go with one of the ones made by Apple. If it's going to be exclusively paired with your phone, I think it's kind of much of a muchness between Apple's and other high quality sets like Jabras.

I actually prefer the non pro AirPods. I like being able to hear everything around me, and I don't like the kind that you have to sort of jam into your ears.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
I have the sony wf-1000xm3's and they are amazing. From what I understand the AirPods Pro are a fantastic set of Bluetooth headphones, but the general consensus is that the sony wireless buds have better sound quality. Sony recently released their newest version the we-1000xm4. I have heard that they are amazing. The main issue with the Sony headphones is that they have horrible microphones, which makes them pretty bad for making calls. Other than that I'd be hard pressed to find a better set of buds.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe how great AirPods were. I have AirPods and wmh-4000 or whatever the Sony ones are. I much prefer my AirPods because it connects so quickly to my iPhone its insane. Go with the AirPods Pro

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I had the regular ones and loved them. Got the Pros and there was no looking back. Highest recommendation. The only complaint is that I had to buy different tips because the standard ones would hurt my ears.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
AirPods Pro are by far the greatest set of headphones I have ever used, and I am a huge nerd when it comes to headphones, and have tried tons of pairs. Buy them and don't even think twice.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Nah it's Spatial Audio altogether.
I don't think that's right. I just looked it up and, while the support page for Spatial Audio on their site is kind of weird, it does say this:
And listen on any headphones, the built-in speakers on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, and with Apple TV 4K

…Just that their headphones (AirPods and Beats) will automatically go for Atmos while you'd need to go to Settings and change a toggle for any other headphones.Apple even confirmed it for news outlets in a briefing after the announcement.

Near the bottom of that support page it mentions that it's only the Spatial Audio with head tracking that's exclusive to the AirPods Pro and Max.

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017
I bought a pair at the beginning of the pandemic and have used them every day. I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I personally found the Pros to be very uncomfortable and replaced them with the regular non-Pro AirPods - which are great from a convenience and comfort point of view.

I'm used to noise cancelling earbuds from Bose (QC20) and hated the IEM design of the AirPods Pro.
With Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) enabled on the AirPods Pro, there was an uncomfortable pressure in my ears, which resulted in migraines in less than an hour - several times.
Meanwhile I can use the Bose QC20, Sony/Bose over-ear ANC headphones, or regular AirPods all day with no issue.

Nah it's Spatial Audio altogether.
You can enable spatial audio with any headphones.
Head tracking is limited to the Pros due to additional hardware requirements.

The AirPods Pro are great, just get them.
They work super seamlessly with my LG CX which is nice.
That's surprising. I often have trouble switching my AirPods between iPad/iPhone and Apple TV devices.
They always seem to auto-connect to the wrong one, and are a pain to switch.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't use Pro since I hate the plastic bits, but the OG Airpods are my fav headphones I've ever used.

After a few years of daily use, I finally lost mine and couldn't survive a week with other headphones before buying an identical pair.