Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Not exactly, but it turns out his insecurities make him a spineless leader at least during his first few years, so literally any Ozai loyalist, be it Azula or a random general, just tells him "You see this problem you're having? This would've never happened to your father he would've done this fascist BS".

So Zuko gets insecure and immediately does the fascist bullshit and then after a while realizes it's bad and says he's sorry.

It happens at least three times.
Oof

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah this kind of ruined toy story 4 for me. Or maybe not ruined but really cast it in a bad light. They could have found a better way to handle this than Bonnie neglecting woody.

I didn't even mind Bonnie neglecting Woody. Young kids change their minds fast. I have kids that age. Their favorite toys today are not necessarily their favorite toys tomorrow.

But for Woody to completely abandon his owner after three movies worth of "Andy NEEDS us!" just because he wasn't his new owner's favorite is shit. It completely alters the motivation of the character in the previous film from one of a selfless hero to a completely self-centered douchebag.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Wasn't bundling it into the 'worst examples ' of the thread premise just to be clear. I like some of the things it pulls.

A few 'yes, buts' off the top of my head:
- Luke isn't the Yoda-esque Jedi trainer you expect him to be at the end of TFA
- Smoke is unceremoniously killed and the trilogy loses its big bad in Act 2
- Rey really is no one
- Anyone can have the force
The first one is not a "yes but". There is nothing contradictory. Luke felt ashamed and disappeared. Then Rey shows up, and he still doesn't want anything to do with it.

The second isn't killing "its big bad", because the movie posits Kylo as the series' real villain. Because there is nothing fucking interesting about another old man in a chair.

This is not a "yes but." The first movie doesn't say anything to imply her importance beyond obnoxious fan expectations that you can't be a Jedi unless eugenics, apparently.

Why is this bad? Until the prequels, that's what people thought the Force was. A thing you believe in and connect with. Something interesting and spiritual vs. "Can we run a DNA test to see what level of a force jump I can do?"

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even mind Bonnie neglecting Woody. Young kids change their minds fast. I have kids that age. Their favorite toys today are not necessarily their favorite toys tomorrow.

But for Woody to completely abandon his owner after three movies worth of "Andy NEEDS us!" just because he wasn't his new owner's favorite is shit. It completely alters the motivation of the character in the previous film from one of a selfless hero to a completely self-centered douchebag.

It's not that he isn't the favorite, it's that he's being completely ignored.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Rey's parents did sell her for drinking money BUT it was all a trick cause she's a Palpatine! Surprise! The force really can't come to anybody, only those born from force blood.
Oh and Finn but we're barely going to touch on that.

Not to harp on JJ but also "A new universe for the classic Trek crew to explore in new ways for a new generation of fans BUT let's do Khan again instead."

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Link to the Past is a prequel detailing the first incarnation of Link and the origin of Ganon, BUT OoT actually has the origins of Link and Ganon EXCEPT that there was another Link before in Minish Cap and it explains how he got his hat YET Skyward Sword actually has the very first Link who already had his hat and also Ganon May or May not be a totally different guy or something.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Link to the Past is a prequel detailing the first incarnation of Link and the origin of Ganon, BUT OoT actually has the origins of Link and Ganon EXCEPT that there was another Link before in Minish Cap and it explains how he got his hat YET Skyward Sword actually has the very first Link who already had his hat and also Ganon May or May not be a totally different guy or something.

not to be the "ack-tually..." guy but LttP being a prequel was more played up by localization (i still find it odd they named the game around it, i know they couldn't name it Triforce of the Gods in the west but still weird). i don't recall OoT being a prequel at all though that insipid historia timeline retroactively made it so. minish to my recollection was a prequel but not so much a flat out origin story

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of shounen battle mangas. Yes [insert protagonist's name here] learned super-duper powerful new abilities to beat their antagonist. But then they're back to being chumps when it's their kids turn to fight their own stronger antagonists.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Jumanji: The Next Level immediately came to mind.

"Yes, they destroyed the game and console at the end of the first movie, but Spencer feels useless now because he's not Dwayne Johnson anymore, so he secretly kept the game and console and miraculously fixes it".

I honestly liked both movies, but the setup for The Next Level is pretty bad.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Prototype 2 and Crysis 2 Count?

Prototype 2
Yeah, Alex did save NYC From Nuke but become a bad guy.

Crysis
Yeah. Nomad defeats aliens and escapes but he died.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Bionicle 3: Web of Shadow's.

Yes Legends of Metru Nui ended with the Toa Metru completing their Heroes Journey (particularly Vakama's of learning from failure and the responsibilities of leadership) reawakening the Matoran rescued from The Makuta's post-Great-Cataclysm plans. Using up their power and becoming the Village elders known from the present arc. How about instead of returning to the present day arc and follow the Toa Nuva's continuing quest to reawaken Mata Nui, we instead have an interquel set before the 2nd movies epilogue, to fill in some small continuity errors that could well be dealt with in the books/comics. Oh and lets have the characters become mutated so we can have an arc of one of the characters deciding to betray the team because of it which kind of loses any of its drama/tension as we know it gets resolved by the end of the previous movie. Although saying all that the dynamic between Vakama and Matau gets fleshed out and resolved in it, which was well done.
I was going to mention this!

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
It probably doesn't matter, given the genre, but several Friday the 13th sequels qualify, I think.

Jason drowned in the lake as a boy? Yes, but he actually didn't and now he's all grown up and ripe for murderin.
Jason's dead? Yes, but not really.
Jason's dead and buried once and for all? Yes, but we're gonna dig him up just to check on him, and then he'll become a superpowered zombie.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
not to be the "ack-tually..." guy but LttP being a prequel was more played up by localization (i still find it odd they named the game around it, i know they couldn't name it Triforce of the Gods in the west but still weird). i don't recall OoT being a prequel at all though that insipid historia timeline retroactively made it so. minish to my recollection was a prequel but not so much a flat out origin story

OoT shows Ganon's origin as Ganondorf, a wicked man from the desert.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Yes with the help of the Sage of the Six Paths Naruto and Sasuke sealed away Kaguya the mother of all chakra and most powerful being ever to end the war, but Kaguya actually has a big family that their kids now have to deal with

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
OoT is absolutely a prequel and always was, hell it climaxes with Ganondorf transforming himself into Ganon (as he appeared in the previous games) and being sealed away. It was very loosely showing the backstory described in ALTTP.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
i think every zelda after the Skyward Sword reveal would fall into this trope because ,

well yes you defeated ganon, but it is an infinite cycle that will always repeat
Nintendo needs to make two games that end the perpetual curse (within their respective timelines) so they can focus on one timeline again. Then Nintendo should split the remaining timeline again.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
The first one is not a "yes but". There is nothing contradictory. Luke felt ashamed and disappeared. Then Rey shows up, and he still doesn't want anything to do with it.

The second isn't killing "its big bad", because the movie posits Kylo as the series' real villain. Because there is nothing fucking interesting about another old man in a chair.

This is not a "yes but." The first movie doesn't say anything to imply her importance beyond obnoxious fan expectations that you can't be a Jedi unless eugenics, apparently.

Why is this bad? Until the prequels, that's what people thought the Force was. A thing you believe in and connect with. Something interesting and spiritual vs. "Can we run a DNA test to see what level of a force jump I can do?"

I think the point here was that it was a "Yes, but" of JJ's intentions for the story.