DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VEUsgeR.png

Jack Garland in Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin.

His arc didn't make any sense IMO.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'll agree with Jin. Terrible. He was literally supposed to be the one good Mishima character. I guess that's now Lars?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Hal Jordan becoming Parallax. Not that I particularly cared about Hal Jordan because he's usually somewhat boring (there's plenty of better Green Lanterns), but that wasn't a good move for him.

Came to post this, except I did care, he was my favorite super hero (made somewhat boring in the late 80s, but interesting before that).

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sasuke Uchiha.

I'm sorry, but after his actions in the Kage Summit.

He was a villain through and through.

Also Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat and Superman in Injustice.

Mostly because these were done under the thought process of "Our noble hero is boring. Let's make him evil to make him more interesting."

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The spy Reccoa Londe from Gundam Zeta changes sides because she is infatuated with the bad guy after she meets him once on a espionage operation aboard his ship.

She goes from "Our cause is the just cause, the other side is evil" to " I'll kill my friends If you ask my love"

RULwQjT.png

Pretty much every Tomino anime has this terrible changing sides thing that never feels natural and is horribly handled. And it's usually against women.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Kael'thas from Warcraft is a big one for me. Having him be an evil raid boss in WoW made no sense for the character he was in Warcraft III, and Blizzard had to bend themselves and the lore into pretzels to try and have it make sense. They threw away a great lore character for the sake of a cool raid boss.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
it is really funny how fucking awful Jin Kazama became with his "good intentions" starting a world war while his "evil" dad and grandpa were just kinda jerks

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every Tomino anime has this terrible changing sides thing that never feels natural and is horribly handled. And it's usually against women.

Yup. Tomino loves to either have women become blinded by "love" or just go crazy from trauma, and then makes the main character put them down like animals so he can feel sad about it. Male characters are almost never treated the same way and it's SUPER obvious the more you look for it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Tangled the Series / Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure had a villain turn that dragged down the whole series.

Cassandra turning evil at the end of season 2 was a shocking twist and everyone was waiting for season 3 to give a good explanation.

We never got a good explanation. The songs tried as hard as they could to sell how unsatisfied Cass was working with Rapunzel and how she outshined her, but it made zero sense for this to go as far as to make Cass turn evil.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And the show itself seemed like it was fighting as hard as it could against the story being imposed on it, with Cass and Rapunzel getting along just fine when they actually sit and talk but then contriving reasons for Cass to mistrust her. And this cycle just kept repeating over and over until the finale, vacuuming up time that could be spent on anything more interesting.

The worst part is that the show had a much much better version of this story in season one, with Varian.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Varian turning evil made sense, it was much more emotionally investing, there were dramatic irony elements where if Varian knew what the audience knew then he wouldn't have gone so far but then by the end he feels he's too far gone to go back. But then, as we learned later, this was only intended to be a meaningless subplot for season one and the showrunner was frustrated that everyone got so attached to Varian. His storyline got hastily resolved in season 3 with essentially a complete character reset. Even so, in his song with Cass, he's still by far the most compelling part.

- YouTube

It all felt very strongly of something they had planned from the beginning, but they failed to take into account how the characters would develop past the outline phase, and this resulted in a plot development that felt completely incongruous with how the characters actually acted.

Was i crazy or did she have more chemistry with Rap, then Rap's own husband?

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
Was i crazy or did she have more chemistry with Rap, then Rap's own husband?
there's a reason for this

the showrunner fell in love with cassandra and wanted everyone to love her so he kept pushing her

...and got super salty that everyone wanted more varian instead

his crush on cass and pushing her lead to a huge dropoff in ratings and got the show cancelled

also he stalked a bunch of cass/rapunzel cosplayers so...

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Another vote for Sasuke.

His initial defaction to Orochimaru/the villain side made sense. Kid Sasuke's "whatever the costs" amoral pursuit of power was interesting and I'd even go far as to say well-written - a deeply flawed, troubled teen, whose ego, self-worth, and purpose were suddenly undermined by the Village Idiot surpassing him, and a string of humiliating losses (Haku, Rock Lee, Gaara, etc.).

But then you have him go from perhaps neutral evil to batshit insane chaotic and its like - wut

He becomes an iredeemable radicalised terrorist. There might have been an interesting point to be made there - some analogue about marginalised youths joining radicalist groups, and then being progressively brainwashed over time - but Sasuke's trajectory just makes so little sense, and its so poorly written it hurts

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all of them.
That is why I fuck with you.

See i saw this thread yesterday and tried to think of a good example. And honestly I couldn't think of a good example of a hero turn villain. So by default they all suck. There are a few amusing ones(Hindsight Lad, Black Cat), but none I would say were good. Damn sure none that were needed

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Neo Lorrnoke aka Phantom Pain

Neo_roanoke_0001.jpg

Forced resurrection of a character that becomes a villain who can't do anything too bad because he needs to become a hero again later.
He's so bad at being evil that his evil organization calls him incompetent at every turn.

What about the heist? He did that right at least!
Well, if doing a heist makes you a good villain then Danny Ocean is the devil.

Oct 29, 2017
Another vote for Sasuke.

His initial defaction to Orochimaru/the villain side made sense. Kid Sasuke's "whatever the costs" amoral pursuit of power was interesting and I'd even go far as to say well-written - a deeply flawed, troubled teen, whose ego, self-worth, and purpose were suddenly undermined by the Village Idiot surpassing him, and a string of humiliating losses (Haku, Rock Lee, Gaara, etc.).

But then you have him go from perhaps neutral evil to batshit insane chaotic and its like what. He becomes an iredeemable radicalised terrorist. There might have been an interesting point to be made there - some analogue about marginalised youths joining radicalist groups, and then being progressively brainwashed over time - but Sasukes trajectory just makes so little sense

Honestly, Kishimoto trying to make him a hero again was what I found less convincing.

The village ordered his brother to kill his entire family and all of their people, then lied to Sasuke about it so Sasuke would keep fighting for them. Sasuke only found out about the truth after his brother essentially tricked him into suicide-by-cop. Sasuke swearing off the village for good would've made FAR more sense than his convoluted "I will be the Hokage by acting like Garou from OPM" nonsense...but Kishimoto was hellbent on Naruto "saving" Sasuke, logic be damned.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Kishimoto trying to make him a hero again was what I found less convincing.

The village ordered his brother to kill his entire family and all of their people, then lied to Sasuke about it so Sasuke would keep fighting for them. Sasuke only found out about the truth after his brother essentially tricked him into suicide-by-cop. Sasuke swearing off the village for good would've made FAR more sense than his convoluted "I will be the Hokage by acting like Garou from OPM" nonsense...but Kishimoto was hellbent on Naruto "saving" Sasuke, logic be damned.

This is also why I don't understand the logic behind Sasuke marrying Sakura and having a daughter with her still in the village.

Ignoring that I always thought he was asexual anyway, I don't think he should've ended up with anyone.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I feel Trails games have so many villains that go hero and vice versa.

Sharon being the weirdest one to me. Suddenly switches sides, never explains anything as to why she follows the obviously evil man other than he's alive now, and for good measure, takes off most of her clothes.

I'm sure it is explained later, but I haven't gotten through this long ass game to find out. Wouldn't be surprised if it was just love or some such nonsense.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its a shame really. A better writer could have done something with the fact that here's this young boy, plucked from his home, and told he's going to be the biggest fucking deal ever and given immense power. His mom is killed despite all this power and the people mentoring him who he legit looks up to are telling him emotions are bad. Just that alone could cause anyone to become a fucking nutcase.

instead of...whatever we got.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
That is why I fuck with you.

See i saw this thread yesterday and tried to think of a good example. And honestly I couldn't think of a good example of a hero turn villain. So by default they all suck. There are a few amusing ones(Hindsight Lad, Black Cat), but none I would say were good. Damn sure none that were needed
Even Superboy Prime turning into a villain is bad because it didn't go anywhere except for him to become a proxy for the writers to make fun of the fans. (it's bad for other reasons too)

I literally cannot think of a single instance of a hero turning villain in superhero comics that has ever gone well or been well received by the fans.

Maybe the most recent Namor heel turn? But even then I was just waiting for him to turn good again.

And he's always been an anti-hero honestly, even before that term existed.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Even Superboy Prime turning into a villain is bad because it didn't go anywhere except for him to become a proxy for the writers to make fun of the fans. (it's bad for other reasons too)

I literally cannot think of a single instance of a hero turning villain in superhero comics that has ever gone well or been well received by the fans.

Maybe the most recent Namor heel turn? But even then I was just waiting for him to turn good again.

Alex Winter?

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing worse than
Satoko Hojo
becoming evil in Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Gou is the attempt to hand wave it all away at the end.

Last edited:

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Ultimate Reed Richard.

Heck Ultimate Universe have a lot of heroes turn villain.

The main character of the Mission: Impossible TV show being revealed as a traitor and villain in the first Mission: Impossible film, just so that Tom Cruise can replace him as the protagonist

Mission: Impossible's Jim Phelps? That didn't go over very well.

EDIT: Ah, shit:

That's what I get for not refreshing my old tabs.

Originat Actor reprise his role but quit in the mid way filming after learning his character fate.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ultimate Reed Richard.
Going to disagree with this, Reed trends selfish and shitty at best except for 616 and is one of the heroes who's alternate selfs are most likely to be evil/self serving.

And Maker is a great villain, not just Reed but evil, more how different someone could be if you just make a few different choices.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
For me Sasuke and Reed Richards (The Maker) make sense and are well done as evil people. But most of them are done badly. I much prefer the villain > reluctant-but-needed-because-of-circumstance-hero arc tbh (was done well with Doctor Doom)

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

Namor doesn't count. Plus he has a built in excuse.

I think the villain from The Twelve kinda counts. But not really because no one remembered them. ANd the book took too long to finish.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Going to disagree with this, Reed trends selfish and shitty at best except for 616 and is one of the heroes who's alternate selfs are most likely to be evil/self serving.

And Maker is a great villain, not just Reed but evil, more how different someone could be if you just make a few different choices.
Agreed. One of the few things from the Ultimate universe I actually liked was Maker.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Daenerys Targaryen. A revolutionary who freed slaves and defeated the White Walkers, randomly starts burning down KL after she wins the war against Cersei. Made absolutely no sense.
Daenerys Targaryen wasn't a hero imo, she was a conqueror, her rule of Mereen was a shamble, she compromised on slavery, letting the masters sign contracts with their slaves, she reopened the fighting pits where slaves like Tyrion and Jorah were being taken to fight. Even after all these, an insurgent army group were rising up against her, she brought lords to the dragon pit, to intimidate or burn them, whether they were proven being guilty or not of being the insurgents' leaders. Once she had finished playing Queen in Mereen to seize Westeros (She has no claim to)...she left the land in martial law, under the control of a blood thirsty mercenary who told her he didn't care about the people who lived there.

OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019

What did Namor do now?

it is really funny how fucking awful Jin Kazama became with his "good intentions" starting a world war while his "evil" dad and grandpa were just kinda jerks

Nah. Heihachi and Kazuya were pretty bad. Heihacha with the throwing son off cliff thing and he and Kazuya did shady stuff with the Zaibatsu like corporate sabotage, smuggling, murder, extortion etc. But Jin took it to the next level. And Kazuya is still continuing the war Jin started.