• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I was legitimately not expecting to see my city on this list. Columbus came in at number 91.

I already know it's great, but I just didn't expect it to be recognized outside of people who live here. Secret's getting out!

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the fascination with NYC, just a grid of buildings. I find it boring, although the food is the best.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao London number 1. What a fucking cesspit. Nobody in London actually wants to be there, everybody is just trying to leave it for some blessed relief.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
When were you there? Just curious because while it's probably still a lot compared to other countries, I feel like it's gotten a lot better than it used to be.
March of this year. Most restaurants reeked of smoke and I went to a housewarming party where 90% of the attendants (I'm not exaggerating) smoked indoors. They were aged 20-30. Admittedly, this is rather anecdotal evidence and probably an extreme case, but - as a German - I had never encountered such a thing before. The entire smoking in public thing seemed like I had stepped into a time machine, given how things used to be in Germany.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
March of this year. Most restaurants reeked of smoke and I went to a housewarming party where 90% of the attendants (I'm not exaggerating) smoked indoors. They were aged 20-30. Admittedly, this is rather anecdotal evidence and probably an extreme case, but - as a German - I had never encountered such a thing before. The entire smoking in public thing seemed like I had stepped into a time machine, given how things used to be in Germany.
That's interesting, because while bars are still way too smokey, the restaurants I eat at and indoor parties I go to are absolutely smoke free. I'm 30 now, so similar age groups around us.
Tbh if I went to a party and 90% of guests smoked indoors, I'd leave, that sounds horrible.
So yeah, I think we're lagging behind for sure, but I assure you that you somehow experienced an extreme.

(also, I just realized: 90% indoor smokers at a housewarming party? I gotta be honest, that sounds like a pretty disgusting homeowner)

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Rome and Boston are next to each other tells you everything you need to know about this list.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
That's interesting, because while bars are still way too smokey, the restaurants I eat at and indoor parties I go to are absolutely smoke free. I'm 30 now, so similar age groups around us.
Tbh if I went to a party and 90% of guests smoked indoors, I'd leave, that sounds horrible.
So yeah, I think we're lagging behind for sure, but I assure you that you somehow experienced an extreme.

(also, I just realized: 90% indoor smokers at a housewarming party? I gotta be honest, that sounds like a pretty disgusting homeowner)
Yeah, I guess I did experience an extreme case. Plus I strongly dislike smoking, meaning I notice it fairly quickly if even only one smoker is in the vicinity.
Needless to say, yes, that party was a shit show in that regard.

Beyond this, I did like Vienna a lot though and I'm already planning my next visit in the not too distant future.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I mean I don't think it should be number 1 but to the people saying London is a hell hole you really couldn't be more wrong really - I spent all my 20's living there and it was a fucking absolute blast. It's an amazing city if you are actually using it - which I why I ended up leaving as we got old and never left Crystal Palace so it wasn't worth it anymore.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I love living in Tokyo for the most part but it can't be that high with that summer. It's just not livable here during the summer.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Think Manchester is about right. It's getting better, significantly so since decentralisation but it's still got a lot of work to be done and only recently feels like a big city. Going by what I get in the post about future developments it's going to get much better but that is going to take time. It's also a massive building site at the moment.
I love Manchester, but this is a fair assessment.

The actual, viable city area has been really small until the last 10-15 years, when it started swallowing up the former industrial areas. That expansion has picked up the pace a lot in the last few years, though, and Ancoats seems to have been subsumed into the "cool" part of the city in the blink of an eye. The new construction is also a bit of a mixed bag so far; as well as being pretty disruptive, areas like Spinningfields aren't really becoming 'destinations,' or at least not for the people I know. Solicitors who work in Hardman Square will go to The Ivy et al, but I've never personally made a trip from outside Spinningfields to go there. There are much better options.

For whatever reason, the parts of Manchester people see first, when they visit by train, are still the worst. The area immediately around Piccadilly Station is still grungy as hell - not in a good way - and Piccadilly Gardens is an absolute hellscape on a weekend night. I don't want the city to lose its rough edge, but on the other hand a tourist doesn't have to walk more than a couple of minutes in the wrong direction to get a bad impression. There's definitely work to be done there. And that's without mentioning that the airport is undergoing a long-overdue but massively disruptive regeneration as well. To arrive in Manchester as a tourist is to see a city in a state of flux.

I think Manchester's going to be an absolutely amazing place by the time my kids (currently 5 and 2) are old enough to start going into the city with friends, but there have definitely been some missteps in terms of how to grow the city without losing its character. It's going in the right direction now, but it's taken a while.

I don't mean that to sound too harsh, though. Manchester is still the second-best city in the UK, although Edinburgh is close (and it's criminal that it's not on the list at all). I lived in the centre for almost a decade, and I still love driving in to meet friends there, even though I live a good 40 minutes' drive outside these days.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
My criteria for this shit is always different: I don't wanna live in a megacity FFS!

Feb 21, 2019
From an overall general perspective, not a bad list.

(London being 1, no way. No. 1 is Tokyo....There is nothing that prepares one for walking into Tokyo at night for the first time. Even NYC....NYC is a garden party compared to Tokyo).

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Manchester, but this is a fair assessment.

The actual, viable city area has been really small until the last 10-15 years, when it started swallowing up the former industrial areas. That expansion has picked up the pace a lot in the last few years, though, and Ancoats seems to have been subsumed into the "cool" part of the city in the blink of an eye. The new construction is also a bit of a mixed bag so far; as well as being pretty disruptive, areas like Spinningfields aren't really becoming 'destinations,' or at least not for the people I know. Solicitors who work in Hardman Square will go to The Ivy et al, but I've never personally made a trip from outside Spinningfields to go there. There are much better options.

For whatever reason, the parts of Manchester people see first, when they visit by train, are still the worst. The area immediately around Piccadilly Station is still grungy as hell - not in a good way - and Piccadilly Gardens is an absolute hellscape on a weekend night. I don't want the city to lose its rough edge, but on the other hand a tourist doesn't have to walk more than a couple of minutes in the wrong direction to get a bad impression. There's definitely work to be done there. And that's without mentioning that the airport is undergoing a long-overdue but massively disruptive regeneration as well. To arrive in Manchester as a tourist is to see a city in a state of flux.

I think Manchester's going to be an absolutely amazing place by the time my kids (currently 5 and 2) are old enough to start going into the city with friends, but there have definitely been some missteps in terms of how to grow the city without losing its character. It's going in the right direction now, but it's taken a while.

I don't mean that to sound too harsh, though. Manchester is still the second-best city in the UK, although Edinburgh is close (and it's criminal that it's not on the list at all). I lived in the centre for almost a decade, and I still love driving in to meet friends there, even though I live a good 40 minutes' drive outside these days.

I don't think it sounds harsh at all. Very accurate.

Near Piccadilly is getting a huge green space as part of the Mayfield redevelopment. That entire area looks to becoming the next NQ going by the businesses that have been opening up like cloud water brewery, alphabet brewery, Fairfield Social and a few others but rough is an understatement at the moment.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

Austin's Asian population has boomed in the last decade. There's a mini China town off lamar around the Braker/I-35 exit and in Spicewood Springs off 183. Tons of good food, multiple dim sum places to try.

A lot of them though are 2nd+ generation Asian immigrants Last time I went to Dim Sum one of my friends ordered in Mandarin and 2 of the cart people didn't understand.

Restored

Oct 27, 2017
A city like Dubai in the top ten is kinda ridiculous. It's certainly not the best city for a lot of people...

Yep, Vienna is usually ranked as one of, if not THE , most livable city in a lot of rankings. Munich is usually also ranked very highly.

Absolutely invalidates the list with regards to Dubai. Let's just ignore the fact that the city is human rights violation with 90% of the population are foreign workers and are close to indentured servitude with no constitutional rights.

The city is possibly the worst managed and designed major city in the world. There is no downtown, no grand buelevards and the open space is entirely empty vanity spaces around its major structures. Half of it is a desolate sandy parking lot with no public transportation. This former pearl harbor town is a frankenstien of a city that was pumped on hubris steriods and overcompensation over the last few years. /end-rant

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The 2020 Census is going to be insane for Austin.

Cheapest houses you can get now in the Austin area, from furthest out north:
Hutto: $200k, literally only a few for sale that low, most start at $220k
Pflugerville: $230k (there's a builder with a sale at $200k, but that's temporary)
Austin (Wells Branch): $310k
Austin (CrestView): $400k
Austin (Allandale): $500k

Property taxes combined in TX for all things typically adds up to 3.0%, so good fucking luck to the middle class needing to pay $9.3k in property taxes and $22k in mortgage payments for a $300k house...that's like 2/3 of post-federal tax income for a lot of people.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Cheapest houses you can get now in the Austin area, from furthest out north:
Hutto: $200k, literally only a few for sale that low, most start at $220k
Pflugerville: $230k (there's a builder with a sale at $200k, but that's temporary)
Austin (Wells Branch): $310k
Austin (CrestView): $400k
Austin (Allandale): $500k

Property taxes combined in TX for all things typically adds up to 3.0%, so good fucking luck to the middle class needing to pay $9.3k in property taxes and $22k in mortgage payments for a $300k house...that's like 2/3 of post-federal tax income for a lot of people.

Holy fuck, that's unfortunate for all of those forced out.

Having said that, are those houses actually worth the price?

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Paris in number 2 ? The fuck are they smoking ?

Or that means the other cities really suck because damn are they wrong...

X05

Oct 25, 2017
On that list there are a bunch of US cities, and only 7 cities are in the southern hemisphere (4 in AU, 1 in NZ and 2 in BR).

Really terrible list.