• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the equipment nor the motivation to work out at home. I've tried it in the past. If I come home I get lazy and don't work out, whereas if I take myself to the gym I'm already there so I might as well work out.

Plus I don't have anywhere near the amount of equipment I need (squat rack, bench press station etc).

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose I should mention my fitness goals. I'm not looking to get shredded or anything like that, at least for the time being. I am exceedingly skinny fat, perhaps a bit overweight. I have love handles and a slight muffin top, and some back fat.

my top priority is to cut down on body fat %. I would say I'm between 25 and 30% body fat with very little muscle, but at a reasonably healthy weight. (I am 5'9" at 165 - 170 lbs)

I do want to gain muscle which is why I'd prefer to do something with weights rather than primarily cardio, but my top priority is getting between 15 - 20% body fat in the next 6 months to 1 year (not sure the timeframe for this kind of thing)
This is very close to me last year although I've put on 10 - 15 pounds in the ensuing year (*some* of it is muscle, at least).

I joined Blink last year and signed up for some PT too so I didn't kill myself. I think you really, really need to learn compound exercises like bench press and especially squats.

In fact, the weight I put on recently is partly due to laying off of barbell squats in the last month because my old-man knee has been sore.

It's also really hard to gain muscle/strength and lose weight at the same time unless you really strictly min/max what you're doing and eating, so you have to pick one or the other for a while. If your goal is primarily to burn fat I would just focus on a lot of cardio and diet.

OP
OP
Fulminator

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
This is very close to me last year although I've put on 10 - 15 pounds in the ensuing year (*some* of it is muscle, at least).

I joined Blink last year and signed up for some PT too so I didn't kill myself. I think you really, really need to learn compound exercises like bench press and especially squats.

In fact, the weight I put on recently is partly due to laying off of barbell squats in the last month because my old-man knee has been sore.

It's also really hard to gain muscle/strength and lose weight at the same time unless you really strictly min/max what you're doing and eating, so you have to pick one or the other for a while. If your goal is primarily to burn fat I would just focus on a lot of cardio and diet.
Yeah I'm looking to specifically burn fat, that's my priority. I was probably going to eat at maintenance while doing some weight lifting with dumbbells. I ride my bike or walk to work in the non winter seasons, which is my major source of cardio, albeit it's not really intense at all. Once I've gotten my body fat down I would work harder on building up more muscle.

I really can't afford any PT and the only cheap gym near me Is Planet Fitness, and as people told me before they only have machine assisted bench press and squats, so I figure doing dumbbell presses and squats at home would be fine. Probably not ideal but the Planet Fitness situation doesn't seem ideal either.

eventually if I start making more money and move to a better spot next year I'd like to go to a gym. there is a nice gym real close to me but it's pretty expensive. I'd go if I could.

there seems to be a ton of dumbbell only routines just from browsing youtube, and since I'm pretty much a complete beginner I imagine near any exercise routine would only be beneficial. Although I'm sure there are some that would push me towards my goals faster.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At home. Only time I prefer/need the gym is when testing my ORM. Home or gym really depends on your goals, at the moment I'm focusing on hypertrophy but if focusing on strength a gym would be a must. Cardio is awful at home or the gym you have so many options and all machine variations are utter shit and mindless as far as I'm concerned.

Only reason I go to the gym is for a change of scenery or if away from home. Consistency is super important and going to a gym plus the additional time added on due to travel & shared equipment makes that less feasible for me with other commitments.

To make weightlifting work from home you need a few things. A selection of plates, dumbbells, barbell, a bench or an equivalent, a pull up bar. On top of that I would also advise a set of resistance bands, gymnastic rings (for dips and cable related exercises), and a squat rack that are independent struts. You can get a lot done with just dumbbells and a variety of plates but you are going to limit the exercises you can do.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
If I weren't moving house every 2 minutes and I had the space for a power rack, sure, I'd work out at home. Realistically, I use very little in the way of equipment in the gym since 80-90% of my work-out consists of compound lifts with free weights.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm looking to specifically burn fat, that's my priority. I was probably going to eat at maintenance while doing some weight lifting with dumbbells. I ride my bike or walk to work in the non winter seasons, which is my major source of cardio, albeit it's not really intense at all. Once I've gotten my body fat down I would work harder on building up more muscle.

I really can't afford any PT and the only cheap gym near me Is Planet Fitness, and as people told me before they only have machine assisted bench press and squats, so I figure doing dumbbell presses and squats at home would be fine. Probably not ideal but the Planet Fitness situation doesn't seem ideal either.

eventually if I start making more money and move to a better spot next year I'd like to go to a gym. there is a nice gym real close to me but it's pretty expensive. I'd go if I could.

there seems to be a ton of dumbbell only routines just from browsing youtube, and since I'm pretty much a complete beginner I imagine near any exercise routine would only be beneficial. Although I'm sure there are some that would push me towards my goals faster.
It sounds to me like you would really get benefit from looking up cardio routines with weights—light dumbbells, kettle bells, medicine ball. I *hate* those routines but that's also why I'm still doughy (albeit considerably stronger than last year), haha.

Trust me you can completely exhaust yourself in 10-15 minutes.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend a machine (or even a piece of cardio equipment) that can supplement a gym workout? I have a rowing machine, though Ive considered moving to a TotalGym or maybe a Peloton.

Spin bike for sure. I've been thinking of getting one for my home, but it's cheaper to just keep going to the gym.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Prefer working at home due to time constraints , money (gas to travel and to pay monthly)

Though ironically at my new neighborhood there's a new gym not even a mile away opening up compared to my last home where the closest gym was about 5 miles away

Still I prefer working out at home with my own equipment which I do have and hopefully expland in the future plus at my own pace so it's a plus especially since I can watch anime while working out 😂

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I love working out at home. So much better.

I think working out at the gym WITH a buddy is ideal - there's a cooperative accountability in that which helps you stick to your goals and not get lazy. But that's also HARD; the time commitment and ensuring it works for everyone each day is annoying.

In my basement I have a Peloton, a generic treadmill, a series of free weights, and a bench. I try to do one ~40 minute exercise about three times a week, and then I go on a "family walk" with my wife and baby for about 2.5-3 miles about twice a week. The park is literally across the street from my house, which has been great.

Unfortunately, I eat too much and have no self control on business meals, so I'm still gaining way too much weight :(

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like getting quick workouts at home, but the mental separation from going to the gym helps me significantly. The gym is the place to work, and when I get there it's time to work, regardless of how I felt when I woke up or whatever.

I do however usually stretch and do yoga at home. Something about being alone allows me to take the extra time to get a good stretch in, and take extra time in the positions where I feel I need it. Probably just a personal thing about having mild anxiety at the gym.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
I only work out at home / outside. I love it and have no interest in going to a gym.

I do lots of running, TRX Straps, have a free standing hangboard, lots of different hanging grip and then do a lot of outside work outs with sandbags and heavy buckets.

My workouts are heavily geared towards functional fitness and towards OCR (Obstacle Course Racing) specifically. That is why i do lots of heavy carries, upperbody and cardio.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I find it helps to keep motivated when it's not at home, when you put yourself in an environment without your comforts.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have the space for a home gym, but even when I did I preferred going to the gym rather than even doing cardio at home. Basically, I felt more motivated when I was at the gym and just the act of getting there got me over any hurdles in terms of motivation.

It's sort of like being at a concert or a movie with a great audience. You feed off of energy. Being around other people working out just sort of gives me more energy to push harder. Not to mention back when I was lifting really heavy having other people around is good from a safety perspective (though I don't lift heavy like that anymore).

YMMV on this kind of thing I suppose.

OP
OP
Fulminator

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds to me like you would really get benefit from looking up cardio routines with weights—light dumbbells, kettle bells, medicine ball. I *hate* those routines but that's also why I'm still doughy (albeit considerably stronger than last year), haha.

Trust me you can completely exhaust yourself in 10-15 minutes.
I'll look into it thanks

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I train at home when I need to with this set-up and at gyms when I'm commuting/staying overnight away from home.

20190417_191243_by_edmonddantes9285_ddf1pu5-pre.jpg

20190511_190939_by_edmonddantes9285_ddf1pvq-pre.jpg

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I have a home gym (adjustable weights, bench, squat rack, cardio equipment, etc) and besides paying for itself in no gym membership, it's forced my wife and I to exercise more than we would have otherwise. Great investment.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I prefer the gym but sometimes it doesn't work out. For those times there are plenty of things that can be done at home with and without weights. I find myself more likely to get my full hour to hour and half in if I am at the gym though.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be lying to myself if I said the gym wasn't better, lol. Home is more convenient, of course, just like working from home is. No one actually wants to go out of their way to achieve their goal, they just want it happen, but the gym is there for a reason. Your home is not a gym. My motivation is hardly there if I stay home, it is very easy to get distracted or to tell myself I don't really need to do this.

It's also just a different feeling mentally for me at the gym. Being there feels like I'm actually getting something done. If I'm home, I'll never finish my workouts entirely, tbh.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
At home. I have a pair of dumbbells, a half squat rack, bar, and weights. I mostly do compound exercises, so I don't use the dumbbells much anymore

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
oh yeah, my parents have a doorframe pull up bar lying around that I'm going to take as well

well the only gym I can currently afford is planet fitness, which from my understanding doesn't really have proper free weight equipment for squats and benching, so I don't know if I'd be missing out on much in that regard

I would be willing to buy a bench but I'd need one that I can fold up and put under my bed or something like that. I know there are foldable gym benches but I haven't really looked into it too much. I also could just use a substitute, I've seen videos of people using coolers and stuff lol
Look into a bosu ball or cheaper a round ball. The challenge is doing bench press but you can do this on a ball easy and back exercises are a concern but you can do pull ups with your bar and bent over rows and deadlifts . Everything else your good.
I still recommend gym for motivation and schedule but you can do it at home if you're not into serious lifting sports .
Bosu is also great for balance and core but it's about 120 bucks . Regular ball works too you just shouldn't stand on it obviously unless know what u doing

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I mostly work out outdoors, I control my schedule so always find time to get it done.
sweaty people all around doesn't motivate me like it may for others.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
I go to the gym because I don't have equipment and I go very early in the morning and shower afterwards. May eventually get some equipment for my garage but I like the change of scenery.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look into a bosu ball or cheaper a round ball. The challenge is doing bench press but you can do this on a ball easy and back exercises are a concern but you can do pull ups with your bar and bent over rows and deadlifts . Everything else your good.
I still recommend gym for motivation and schedule but you can do it at home if you're not into serious lifting sports .
Bosu is also great for balance and core but it's about 120 bucks . Regular ball works too you just shouldn't stand on it obviously unless know what u doing

Why on earth would you do a compound lift on an unstable platform, that's just instagram levels of foolishness. You are already at risk of injury lifting on a stable platform. Instability only works with light manageable weights for specific sport training under the guidance of professionals sure as shit not something for a beginner or with any weight aimed at hypertrophy or strength.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of building a smallish gym in my basement when we move in to our house.

But with the things I need it's going to be really expensive. So I don't know if it's worth it.

But if you're fine with dumbells go for it, if it makes you exercise on the regular it's worth it.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Gym for me. I get way too distracted at home. If I had a dedicated workout room it may be different, but that's not possible right now.

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
When I decided to start lifting weights I went to the gym once and realized my anxiety was way too high to learn how to lift properly in front of other people. I bought a super cheap rack and barbell and some weights and spent about a year working out in the garage. When I exceeded the rack weight limit and the plates I had available I sold them and joined a gym and it's been great.

I find that going to the gym puts me into the right mindset. Working out at home I end up finding things to be distracted by. I always think I'll do more accessory work at home on days that I don't go to the gym but rarely ever actually do it.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Why on earth would you do a compound lift on an unstable platform, that's just instagram levels of foolishness. You are already at risk of injury lifting on a stable platform. Instability only works with light manageable weights for specific sport training under the guidance of professionals sure as shit not something for a beginner or with any weight aimed at hypertrophy or strength.
It's very easy to work up to manageable weight on a ball. Especially lying on a bosu which is stable to lie on . You don't need to be a professional it requires practice just as regular exercises . I've done workouts with hundreds of beginners on balls and bosu balls . A round ball is easy to sit and lie on especially if you prop it against a wall. It makes a great seat sub.
A bosu is dead easy to lie on . Standing requires practice. Op has worked out and didnt say they want to get huge.
Athletes literally squat 200+ on a ball, not for beginners but anyone could presumably work up to that if they were dedicated .

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I do both since the gym I go to is in the same place as my BJJ gym and it's like 30 min drive from my place, if I know it will be super late before I get back home I'll just workout at home, I have all the necessary equipment for most stuff.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Prefer going to the gym. I don't have a ton of space in my apartment, and seeing other people working out gives me more motivation to push myself.

Shame no one's posted numbers yet (All are 5RM, not 1RM):

Squat: 225
Bench: 145
Deadlift: 250

Moving to Stronglifts 5x5, but I'm cutting so I don't expect fast progress.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having to go to the gym just makes it become an 'event' - getting kit ready, travelling there (even if it's pretty close). Whereas I can pop to the garage and do a solid session and have a shower in my lunch break or after the kids have gone to bed. And it's free.

Neo_MG90

Apr 23, 2018
My suggestion: Drop all the weights and equipment, and practice calisthenics

You will need very little equipment and save a lot of money.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I loved going to the GYM but after marriage having kids it took too much time going out of the way. So now home it is.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I found it so much easier to integrate into my lifestyle having equipment at home. Distractions aren't an issue once I have the motivation to get going, I'd be listening to or watching something anyways. An elliptical and some free weights are all I need personally, which isn't that expensive.

Social anxiety alone would keep me away from the gym at times, let alone fitting in time with travel and prep. While now, if I'm feeling motivated I'll do two a days with maximum efficiency and my own shower a few steps away.

Oct 27, 2017
It's very easy to work up to manageable weight on a ball. Especially lying on a bosu which is stable to lie on . You don't need to be a professional it requires practice just as regular exercises . I've done workouts with hundreds of beginners on balls and bosu balls . A round ball is easy to sit and lie on especially if you prop it against a wall. It makes a great seat sub.
A bosu is dead easy to lie on . Standing requires practice. Op has worked out and didnt say they want to get huge.
Athletes literally squat 200+ on a ball, not for beginners but anyone could presumably work up to that if they were dedicated .

Why the hell do someone need to squat on a bosu ball? That's just idiotic. What's the pros of doing it? I only see the risk of getting injured.

Shame no one's posted numbers yet (All are 5RM, not 1RM):

Squat: 225
Bench: 145
Deadlift: 250

Moving to Stronglifts 5x5, but I'm cutting so I don't expect fast progress.

Now we have us a gym thread. It's hillarious.

Last edited:

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I have a nice rowing machine in my garage that I use quite often. That said I'm usually way less motivated to work out at home than when I'm at the gym. Competing with others just pushes me and I can't get that at home.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Why the hell do someone need to squat on a bosu ball? That's just idiotic. What's the pros of doing it? I only see the risk of getting injured.

Now we have us a gym thread. It's hillarious.
It's not for beginners to do it with weight but it's for balance and joints. Most athletes spend a good deal of time on this . Also the pro athletes do squats on a full ball btw.
I could ask what's the point of just standing there doing squats when in real life you'd never do that but the answer is you should focus on various workouts to compliment strength, balance, speed, agility or whatever traits you desire.
I prefer someone do simple bicep curls on a bosu to start with it's a very good way to get started.
Cured my constantly rolling ankles on a bosu it's what physiotherapists use. Went from hockey with two permanent ankle braces to zero braces and zero injuries

OP
OP
Fulminator

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be pretty fat in high school and once i got to college I started working out at the university gym (only cardio). Lost about 50 ish lbs, and my weight has been pretty consistent since then, probably gained a few lbs but not much. Haven't been to the gym or done much exercise since then beyond walking and biking, that was about 5 years ago at this point.

I definitely feel like going to to the gym gets you in a different and possibly more focused headspace, and I like that. I don't think being around other people working out ever motivated me at all though. I didn't really care much about other peoples' workouts and I don't really like people seeing me exercise, which is a plus for working out at home.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not for beginners to do it with weight but it's for balance and joints. Most athletes spend a good deal of time on this . Also the pro athletes do squats on a full ball btw.
I could ask what's the point of just standing there doing squats when in real life you'd never do that but the answer is you should focus on various workouts to compliment strength, balance, speed, agility or whatever traits you desire.
I prefer someone do simple bicep curls on a bosu to start with it's a very good way to get started.
Cured my constantly rolling ankles on a bosu it's what physiotherapists use. Went from hockey with two permanent ankle braces to zero braces and zero injuries

Sure, it's good for your balance? But doing biceps curls on it are a whole lot of different than doing a squat. Regular squats are great for rebuilding strenght in your ankles.

Athletes are have done stupid shit before so that doesn't say much to be honest.

I never seen an athletes preform their sport on a bosu ball either. Even if you do squats on a solid plattform the strenght gained transfer to every sport there is.

I understand that unstable surfaces, it strenghtens your core and so on and has a place, but there are much safer excercises that does that. The cons of doing squats on a bosu ball heavily outweighs the cons.

And there are excellent excersises that do wonder for your balance, like lunges, split squats, deep pause squats. And they can be done on a stable surface, which is better.

Last edited:

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Home workouts with the right equipment, i.e. doorframe pullup bar, resistance bands, etc. are way more convenient and less expensive than a gym.
What resistance bands can you or someone else recommend that doesn't break the bank? I looked on Amazon and too many were getting reviews that the bands don't hold up and snap, which could be quite dangerous...

Oct 27, 2017
What resistance bands can you or someone else recommend that doesn't break the bank? I looked on Amazon and too many were getting reviews that the bands don't hold up and snap, which could be quite dangerous...

I've tried a few, most of mine snapped. But I was using them while doing speed work on compound lifts. So if you only use them for various exercises in your home you'll be fine.

When they snap they mostly go dead instantly, so you don't need to worry about getting whipped in the face.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You should have variety but a lot of exercise labelled under the current trend of "function" are complete nonsense as it's a specific term even within more general terms of strength, balance, speed, agility, nor are any exercise apart from basics performed by all athletes.

If a person wants to improve balance there is a huge variety of balance and anti-rotational focused exercises before you even get close to adding weight into the mix and weight related versions are not general fitness exercises. What athletes do is not fit for purpose for the general populous.

Athletes are people that get paid to be in a specific shape and exercises are targeted to specific functions, they have trainers that are top end professionals creating specific workouts based on their clients targets and the variety of different exercise from sport to sport varies drastically. Athletes are in peak condition for their sport and exercises are developed with this in mind. Also many athletes are doing things that will cause them a lot of grief in later life for shorter term goals.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I love my gym. It's private and is made up of competitive powerlifters. The environment is so comfortable that some of the dudes come in just to hang out and talk on off days.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Sure, it's good for your balance? But doing biceps curls on it are a whole lot of different than doing a squat. Regular squats are great for rebuilding strenght in your ankles.

Athletes are have done stupid shit before so that doesn't say much to be honest.

I never seen an athletes preform their sport on a bosu ball either. Even if you do squats on a solid plattform the strenght gained transfer to every sport there is.

I understand that unstable surfaces, it strenghtens your core and so on and has a place, but there are much safer excercises that does that. The cons of doing squats on a bosu ball heaåvily outweighs the cons.
There's basically no reason not to. What's the cons? You'll step off the ball.? Its not hard ...or you coukd lunges then basically. There's numerous videos of pro athletes doing this with their pro trainers . Anyway this isn't relevant to op. My advice is get a bosu because its more stable than a round ball and smaller than a bench. Good for balance and some lying flys, kneeling exercises or even bench . Not with max weight but great for overall

Feb 10, 2018
Invest in a decent chin up/leg raise/dip station, or wall mounted pull up bar if you want to do the home workout route, that's all you need to build a good body, you can work your way to a 1 arm push up and hand stand push ups for chest and shoulders.
I currently have a power cage, bench and barbells I am considering selling them, it's nice being able to incline bench and overhead press, but for my needs push up variation will still be good enough.
It would be nice to have the extra space.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend a machine (or even a piece of cardio equipment) that can supplement a gym workout? I have a rowing machine, though Ive considered moving to a TotalGym or maybe a Peloton.
A skipping rope, a bench with a barbell, 150 lbs in plates, 2 dumbbell grips which take plates.

It'll be a hell of a lot cheaper then a Peloton lol.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I go to a gym for three reasons:

A) The gym is litteraly right around the corner, like a five minute walk if that. So I have no excuse.

B) The extortionate rate I pay monthly is a genuinely effective motivator to get my money's worth. And,

C) At home I run the risk of procrastinating while exercising, taking long breaks, etc... At a gym, once you enter the building you're essentially in a zone.

Also, I will say that gym equipment is generally gonna be a better form of exercise than not having it. And while you could probbaly save money in the long run, it's not always readable to have a home gym/ home gym equipment aside from basic weights for a number of reasons.