Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this looks good at all. I can see the tone they're going for, and I want to like it, but everything feels like a half-step off. It doesn't help that all of the "spectacular" stuff just looks like bog-standard VFX at this point, we have got to move beyond "Isn't it cool that we can make people levitate and do big colorful particle effects?"

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I don't know what to make of this. I like Paddington and I like Chalamet but the whole concept just seems like a miss.

Jun 1, 2021
Both Paddington films are fantastic fun so I have confidence this will be good. Paddington was very much a silly film in all the right ways, like a cartoon come to life, and this seems to have a similar tone.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
what's the odds that wonkas partner is slugworths daughter or sommit

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
That actually... looks really good.

I should catch up on the other two films some time, but I know some friends that would definitely want to see this when it drops.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. It was almost certainly never going to appeal me, but that didn't help. King's vibe can't overcome all the problems of prequels/origins oozing from the trailer, and Chalamet's performance seems too affected.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
image.png

the flash in wonka confirmed

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, everything about this looks quite good except for Timothee Chalamet, oddly. And Timothee is usually pretty great.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I like Timothee, but it sounded like he was reading his lines from a held up card here. Something very flat about it.

Maybe it's just lack of context.

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know how to feel. Perhaps my overwhelming love for Gene Wilder is blocking something. It looks like all the parts are there just something just didnt fill glass.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's exactly what I expected from the pitch, which I don't think is a good fit for the story. I don't get any mad scientist vibes from Wonka in the trailer. Too much wonder not enough danger. You're supposed to spend half the movie saying "this reckless OSHA ignoring fucker needs to be stopped, this is not ok" so that you're relieved when it works out in the end. Put a big fan at the top of that glass arcade and maybe the floating chocolate would work.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I like how I'm the original movie wonka just makes really good chocolate and the wacky stuff too wild for normals are hidden behind closed doors, while in this one it's just everywhere and out in the open

Too be fair, the original movie and books made it clear that Wonka had become a hermit and the factory just went silent for a long time. Only really producing the simple stuff.

I don't see why he wouldn't have been more public with the wild shit early on before the factory opened and he became a house hold name.

WhatsInDaBox

Banned
Jan 24, 2023
So the actually movie is holding all the stuff about Wonka being bat shit insane until release, right?RIGHT?!

Im expecting Aviator meets Wonka

This is as cookie cutter as humanly possible.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Too be fair, the original movie and books made it clear that Wonka had become a hermit and the factory just went silent for a long time. Only really producing the simple stuff.

I don't see why he wouldn't have been more public with the wild shit early on before the factory opened and he became a house hold name.
that shit wouldn't go away after ten years tho, folks would be like 'Wonka needs to bring back the antigravity chocolate" forever, cuz nerds are eternal

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I like how I'm the original movie wonka just makes really good chocolate and the wacky stuff too wild for normals are hidden behind closed doors, while in this one it's just everywhere and out in the open
It's leading up to the scene where the British Empire tries him for witchcraft and burns him at the stake.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
for some reason this reminds me a lot of The Producers

not the original but the remake