• Yes

Votes: 99 40.7%
  • Very Yes

Votes: 144 59.3%

• Total voters

mbpm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His claws are psychic projections and when they are sheathed they actually retract into his mind

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, on the topic of claw ridiculousness, there's Wolverine's weird ancestor or something, Romulus.

latest

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
As little sense as his claws make, them coming out the back of his hand is the LEST comprehensible. You can't even draw a straight line from the top of your hand through the forearm. At least coming out from between the fingers creates a straight line that the housing could exist in. Of course, the fact he can bend his hand indicates the housings are jointed, meaning he can only pop his claws when he keeps his arms straight with his wrists. That's another discussion, for now I'm just saying - you need a straight line the lenght of his claws to draw from the base of where they come out to where they would exist in his arm. It doesn't makes sense and never did on the back of the hand. The movies fixed it.

Don't even get me started on when they draw them curved.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
If they are on top then it works

if between the fingers then he would not be able to bend his wrist.
What? I do not get your logic: I'd argue it the other way.

If between the fingers, then they're stored in his forearm, and he has to straighten the wrist when they go in or out but can bend it freely while they're deployed. But deploying them is a simple, easy motion: they go straight from the forearm sheath out to their attack mode.

If they are on top, though, then the travel from forearm sheath to attack mode has some weird swoopy trajectory that just makes the whole thing seem wonky, without in any way addressing the wrist movement problem.

Ergo, between > on top.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Before this issue there was no such thing as "Bone Claws". It had always been the lore that the claws were given to him when the adamantium skeleton bonded to him. I remember reading this comic in the mall the day it came out and my teenage brain exploded.
When Wolverine was introduced in Incredible Hulk 181, his claws were stated to be gloves.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Neither really makes sense when you think of his mutation as feral in nature. Sabretooth has the most obvious claw placement.

Betweent the two, back of hand all the way.
His claws make no sense at all (at least, if they're written to be natural). His claws are mainly used to slice or to impale, but no mammal has slicey swords for claws. Most mammals don't even use claws to kill at all, but instead to hold their prey while they use their real killers: fangs. Even when bears or cats swipe each other, they're still not killing each other with those swipes, except for when they kick out an opponent/prey animal's innards. But mostly animals use claws for running, climbing, holding, and slashing/ripping with the tips. Wolverine's claws (or say X-23's foot claw) would not work at all for running; they would be very awkward for holding; they're bad for climbing given the wrist position; he never rips, only slices; and if he wants to slash, he'll mainly use the edge, not the point. Maybe there's an exotic dinosaur or extinct animal or ocean creature that has something closer to his kind of sword claws.

And to add to this, you have to have monster wrists to accommodate the space for all the nerves, tendons, ligaments, veins, arteries, bones, and oh yeah, THREE SWORDS to pass through simultaneously. Granted, Wolverine does have monstrous wrists, but I think he would not pass as anything but a mutant given how Popeye-ish his wrists would have to be.

This concludes my 6th grade lunchroom Ted Talk.

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Top of hands don't make sense cause angles.

how do they work anyways?
how is he mowing his wrist, when they are inside?
The blades are only as long as his forearm so when they track they leave the hand/wrist area completely. just means they have to move a "far" distance to pop-out. But I imagine he can do it quickly and control how far they come out.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The movies decide now and since they never changed it like they did with Spider-Man then it's in between knuckles

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
What? I do not get your logic: I'd argue it the other way.

If between the fingers, then they're stored in his forearm, and he has to straighten the wrist when they go in or out but can bend it freely while they're deployed. But deploying them is a simple, easy motion: they go straight from the forearm sheath out to their attack mode.

If they are on top, though, then the travel from forearm sheath to attack mode has some weird swoopy trajectory that just makes the whole thing seem wonky, without in any way addressing the wrist movement problem.

Ergo, between > on top.
They wouldn't have to follow some weird trajectory to come out the top of his hands, they would just have to be on top of the bone in the forarm and glide up the hand to come out the back, which makes sense as he has to keep his wrists straight. He has channels for his claws to emerge whether they're between the fingers or out the back of the hand.

And if we follow the between the fingers pattern, Wolverine's son Akihiro would slice his hand open every time he pops his claws since his third claw is on the bottom of his forearm and not the top, so their claws being pushed away slightly once they cross the wrists makes sense.

Only ones who would have a claw come out in between something would be Laura and Gabby since they have feet claws and those would pop between the toes.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I'd want to keep them on top of the hands in the comics and other illustrated media as that's established tradition at this point, but through the knuckles presumably has advantages in terms of live-action prop design options–e.g., it allows you to make practical prop claws the actor can grip in their fist. And I can imagine top of hands looking awkward in real life, depending on the size and shape of the claws.

So I'm fine with this being inconsistent across media.

Oct 29, 2017
Between the knuckles looks cooler, but neither make any damn sense. Either way he wouldn't be able to move his wrist when the blades are retracted.

OP
OP
Yerffej

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His claws make no sense at all (at least, if they're written to be natural). His claws are mainly used to slice or to impale, but no mammal has slicey swords for claws. Most mammals don't even use claws to kill at all, but instead to hold their prey while they use their real killers: fangs. Even when bears or cats swipe each other, they're still not killing each other with those swipes, except for when they kick out an opponent/prey animal's innards. But mostly animals use claws for running, climbing, holding, and slashing/ripping with the tips. Wolverine's claws (or say X-23's foot claw) would not work at all for running; they would be very awkward for holding; they're bad for climbing given the wrist position; he never rips, only slices; and if he wants to slash, he'll mainly use the edge, not the point. Maybe there's an exotic dinosaur or extinct animal or ocean creature that has something closer to his kind of sword claws.

And to add to this, you have to have monster wrists to accommodate the space for all the nerves, tendons, ligaments, veins, arteries, bones, and oh yeah, THREE SWORDS to pass through simultaneously. Granted, Wolverine does have monstrous wrists, but I think he would not pass as anything but a mutant given how Popeye-ish his wrists would have to be.

This concludes my 6th grade lunchroom Ted Talk.
All those things get fucked up every time he pushes his claws through and then he regenerates.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, my vote goes to top of the hands. When he's suited up, he pops them a bit and keeps the tips in those metal sheaths, and when he pops them without gloves, they just rip through the backs of his hands. Also, he can't bend his wrists when they're popped, and they're flat like swords. In other words, Jim Lee or Art Adams style.

7fcac69bf587a6651a0bc8e7e86dbeb5.jpg

(actually, this doesn't show the backs of his hands, but I'm still posting it because it's so badass)

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I've always preferred back of the hand, but that's probably just because I grew up with it.

If Venom can do it back of the hand, so can Wolverine.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Either way makes no sense if you think about it too much. The claws abide by the rule of cool and push it to it's limit more than lightsabers.

View: https://youtu.be/JLiNyglOyJY

Those take up too much space and his claws aren't attached together like that since individual ones have been pulled out multiple times and he can pop them individually. The things are no bigger than chopsticks.

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
I feel claws on top of his hands looks better when he's suited up, but claws popping out from between his knuckles look better and more natural when he's not wearing gloves.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If they are on top then it works

if between the fingers then he would not be able to bend his wrist.
Even between the fingers, he can move his wrists because the claws would be in his hands at that point. He can't move his wrists while extending or retracting, but he has full mobility when using them.

Edit:

Once they're out, they're fully within the hand.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I don't care either way. Between knuckles seems more natural and practical. Top of the hand seems like it would hurt more when used to break a fall, but it certainly looks more cool in comics.