• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
So 6 hours in and I'm having a blast. I'm done for the night but the next mission is in New Orleans, anyone know how far in I am?

Critics so far.

Graphically on a pro this looks stellar, especially with the framerate.

Jesus this game has a lot of bounce and motion blur. Really wish your screen didn't violently shake when shooting.

Some of the deaths you get are super BS at times. I just had one encounter that I didn't even know I triggered and immediately died with no time to react or even acknowledge I was in a combat encounter. Also, just like in the first game, it's very difficult to know when you're being shot.

Shotgun is best gun. Dual wielding should be in every game, objective fact.

Seriously though, this game is a looker for being 60 frames, one of the best looking games I've had the fortune of playing.

Story is solid so far, really fun and entertaining throughout, though I do have one issue with something that happens which kind of made the tone go from a way that I was really digging to something else. Don't know if I'm the only one that wasn't a fan of that.

Last edited:

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
the amount of damage they put out means you need to be snap killing them as soon as they get a line of sight on you (more or less)
I've found that moving like in an online shooter helps. ADAD spam, constant crouching, sprinting around and occasionally jumping makes them miss *a lot* of shots. On Do or die difficulty, at least.
So 6 hours in and I'm having a blast. I'm done for the night but the next mission is in New Orleans, anyone know how far in I am?
About 3/5 in would be my take. You're in for a ride, shit's going to get way crazier soon.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason the running charge only splatters some enemies and knocks down others? Like even the same enemy type, it seems random if it gibs them or just knocks them on the ground. Frustrating.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think larger areas are fine in theory, but you also have to have enough tools at your disposal to get around those large areas. MachineGames doesn't need to turn you into Corvo Attano, but just a few more tools to stealth might make it more viable.

On the one hand, I did like how the size of the sub gave a sense of scale, but on the other hand, I do agree, trying to traverse the thing, mentally checking off who you've seen is a bit much.

I was a little surprised given the setting and the obvious marketing message that they didn't do anything to really add any
serious American antagonist.
Seemed like an obvious way to add something, but maybe it just didn't fit for them.

Yeah, I could see traversal being easier and more interesting with, for instance, a grappling hook or a jet pack. Add a bit of verticality to the combat, too! They need to stop with the wave based combat, they can do better.

Yeah, I was expecting the KKK to be more prominent in the game, too.

Last edited:

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
I've found that moving like in an online shooter helps. ADAD spam, constant crouching, sprinting around and occasionally jumping makes them miss *a lot* of shots. On Do or die difficulty, at least.

About 3/5 in would be my take. You're in for a ride, shit's going to get way crazier soon.

Appreciate it!

What's the consensus on playtime? The 5-8hrs was debunked, right?

It's longer than that unless you rush through it. The levels can be rushed through for sure, but you'd miss out on a bunch. If you play stealthy, it really ups the play time, especially if you're picking everything up.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I'm at 5 hours right now and I'm in between the third and fourth missions.
It's longer than that unless you rush through it. The levels can be rushed through for sure, but you'd miss out on a bunch.

Thanks both! Still have to finish some open world games in my backlog (and I only played through TOB a couple of weeks ago) so want to know how long it's going to be. I'd be disappointed if it was COD length but it sounds like people are also saying the replay value is there, which is good.

And I preferred the stealth route for the last game, so I can stretch it out.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
It took me about 15 hours to complete finding around nearly half of all of the collectibles in the game. Done about half of the side missions as well.
Is the Mein Leben difficulty permadeath or just really hard like veteran on the cod campaigns with saves still on?

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I just started the game for the first time last night. I saw another person mention this, what's the deal with the weapon wheel? Can it not be used with a keyboard and mouse setup? I use the number keys, but still.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no way to restart a level? I just busted into a place, not knowing that there would be alarms triggered, and the game autosaved just as i got in, triggering the alarms every time.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Totally off topic but i'm the dark with this franchise,what's the consensus about TNO and Old Blood?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I am incredibly impressed with the optional dialogue and scenes that can pop up in your base. I was just wondering around and suddenly an entirely optional cutscene happened and it was just to develop the characters more. It wasn't even part of any story objective. Also, the in-game NPC interactions there are so damn funny. The performances and timing were perfect. I laughed a lot. Makes exploring the base a real joy. This was much improved over the original. Wolf2 def has some of the best new characters this year.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Finished it in 8-9 hours, didn't do any of the nazi hunting stuff yet and found few of the collectibles.
Disclaimer: I played it on the second-easiest difficulty because I was mainly interested in the story and found the combat to be a tad unrewarding on any of the higher difficulties. I'm starting my second playthrough on the harder modes soon and i'll try to take it slow and collect everything there is to find.

It has been a blast throughout. This game goes places and does characters in ways i've never, ever seen before. It's kinda blowing my mind that in a game that looks so 'mindless' on the surface (no offense intended) has given me many more genuine emotional and laugh-out-loud moments than any game I can remember in years. Without a doubt many of these characters and moments are going to be showing up at GOTY discussions. Fantastic writing.

If you're reading this, people from MachineGames, you guys did something incredible here.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Ah perfect I just had a MASSIVE surprise ruined in a headline when I googled "Wolfenstein patch."

Beware if you haven't beaten them game and are looking up anything related to it. Was literally a headline and thumbnail with a humongous spoiler.

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm on the second New York level after 2.5hrs. Definitely feel like this game will be shorter than the last game but I like the faster, punchier pace.

Looks and runs amazing on Ultra with my 1070 as well.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game is def. shorter than TNO. I died more but finished it quicker. There are more side activities though.

It just suddenly works towards the finale. Pacing is rather odd.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I won't be able to play this for a couple weeks while I'm overseas, but I hope it does well and we get a third game to conclude the story. Machine wanted this to be a trilogy right?

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first few levels are not good. Boring corridords and then manhattan ruins are not much better.
Now I arrived in Roswell which immediately looks lot more interesting, finally.

I had to switch from controller to mouse though. It is just so unwieldy, aiming with controller in games with fast pace.

mocoworm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
What is the general consensus on the difficulty of this game?

I played the first 2 through on 'I am Death incarnate!' which I found to be the perfect way to play. Challenging but do-able with strategy and patience. Is this the same? I did read a couple of comments that this one is much more punishing and unforgiving.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did the new patch affect anyone else's performance? My FPS dropped to being so low that I can't really even play it anymore.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

I played the first 2 through on 'I am Death incarnate!' which I found to be the perfect way to play. Challenging but do-able with strategy and patience. Is this the same? I did read a couple of comments that this one is much more punishing and unforgiving.
I would start on the default medium difficulty and then adjust from there. It's harder than TNO for sure.

Deleted member 9840

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TNC was a very enjoyable experience and I appreciate and respect the work that MachineGames has put into it. I never dual-wielded though, because it's just not my thing.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017

For what it's worth, I have found this one to be MUCH harder. There are a few factors:

1) Damage feedback - it's VERY hard to know if you're actually getting shot

2) Lighting in the levels - the levels I've played (first 4ish) are very starkly lit and contrasty, and the enemies often blend in or hang out in dark areas while you are blinded by a light. It's not a deliberate AI move, I don't think, it's just the way things often work out in firefights and it makes it hard to know who is where.

3) Clipped max HP - for story reasons your HP is limited to 50 for quite a while. As such, you get shredded by even a few shots.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate the assassination missions are just throwaway stuff to gather missing collectibles. Could've been real fun...if this game had worthwhile stealth mechanics, which it doesn't I guess.

Definitely having more fun with the game now that I've toned the difficulty though. Or at least it's not as frustrating. Still overall I'm kinda disappointed.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate the assassination missions are just throwaway stuff to gather missing collectibles. Could've been real fun...if this game had worthwhile stealth mechanics, which it doesn't I guess.

Definitely having more fun with the game now that I've toned the difficulty though. Or at least it's not as frustrating. Still overall I'm kinda disappointed.

I was disappointed in them too. Felt like a chore. Not sure if I wanna complete them all right now. Maybe I'll do them in a replay in the future.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to start dual wielding, keep forgetting to toggle it.

I'm currently playing on Bring It On difficulty (default normal I think?), I'm wondering how hard the most difficult setting will be. To this day, I still think the hardest FPS campaign was COD: World as War on veteran, this looks like it might take the mantle when I crank it up on my second playthrough.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I did a few, then googled where to get the rest of the contraptions, and I think that's going to be it for me.

I found one of the Contraptions by chance. Had no idea you could pick up the other ones The game actually directed me to the last one later. I'll def do that tonight and skip the rest and complete the game's story.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game is hard if you try to stealth, and try to ADS. Game is easy if you rush in with dual wield AR or Shotgun, making sure you run for items if you get low. Upgrade those 2 weapons first. Scope is not really needed because its loud anyway.

I murdered armored guys and elites so quickly on bring it on that I flipped the difficulty back up.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Game is hard if you try to stealth, and try to ADS. Game is easy if you run out with dual wield AR or Shotgun, making sure you run for items if you get low. Upgrade those 2 weapons first. Scope is not really needed because its loud anyway.

I murdered armored guys and elites so quickly on bring it on that I flipped the difficulty back up.

I wish my silenced pistol had a scope sometimes, lol

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah stealth is just bad this time.

First game I did quite a large chunk in stealth because of the fairly stingy ammo situation (barely dual wield cuz of that). The levels were also designed better for stealth.

I hear the stealth contraption helps a bunch though.