• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

10HChi7.png

ik7qWDW.png

YPrqeOV.png

YBFuzza.png

jMm47Fq.png

How 'Men In Black: International's Domestic Passport Got Revoked With $28M+ Opening, But Was Cleared Abroad With $102M+ WW Take

If you're a rival major studio in the Disney-Fox era and you want to continue to play around with franchises, you have to make a movie that's so outstanding, there's no question in any person's mind that they should go to the cinema. The challenged sequels of late —Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Dark Phoenix and Secret Life of Pets 2 — gave a majority of people little reason to buy tickets, and so, too, did that befall Sony's Men in Black: International, making it the lowest-opener in the franchise with $28.5M. As we predicated last weekend, and they spent roughly half of the pic's previous chapter, as we predicted last weekend. Men in Black: International's Saturday of $9.4M, though technically the highest day in the pic's run if you back the $3.1M Thursday previews out of Friday's $10.4M, wasn't big enough to push this F. Gary Gray-directed sci-fi comedy over $30M this weekend. However, despite falling short stateside, Sony made good figures overseas with this pic with $73.7M and a global take of $102.2M. That should get the film to breakeven on an anticipated multiple of 3x. Read further down on how smart Sony was in fiscally covering their risk on this reboot. Still, the franchise is in need of major repair, and that will take years to fix. Everyone involved knows that. Final worldwide takes for the last three movies in the series were Men in Black ($589.3M), Men in Black II ($441.8M), and MIB 3 ($624M).

<Click on the Article Headline to read more>

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

WORLDWIDE WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Men in Black: International: $102.2M
Dark Phoenix: $204.3M
Detective Pikachu: $420.3M
Godzilla: King of the Monsters: $339.5M
Avengers: Endgame: $2.743B

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Thread Archive

Web links to box office resources

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Sony: At least MiB did better outside the US?

Also, James Cameron just made Dark Phoenix's BO run 10x worse after Alita pushed it back.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Something about Man in Black 4 looked off from the first trailers. That cheap but expensive sheen to it. No one I've spoken with in real life about it had any interest.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
If reality was perfectly balanced, Godzilla would have been good and it would have saved us from all this sadness.

I blame Feige for making everyone else give up.
Let's give the MCU to Avi Arad, that should reinvigorate the rest of Hollywood.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was going to write something to the effect last week that MIB: International would be an apt name; because that's where most of the money will have to come from in order for it to make a profit. :v Ah well.

Meanwhile it's going to be fun watching Woody, Buzz, and company make more in its opening weekend than these recent glut of sequels combined. It helps that unlike the rest of the competition, Pixar actually turned out a very well-received movie.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
The openings keeps getting lower and lower lol.

Anyway Dark phoenix O_o KotM performance doesn't seem that bad anymore XD

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Endgame per theatre average > dark Phoenix per theatre average

GIVE THOSE SCREENS TO TOY STORY DAMN IT

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Damn John Wick still putting asses in seats. It's crazy that it has outgrossed Pokemon. I would have never have expected an R rated film with a third of the budget coming out a week after a mega hyped Pokemon movie to beat it.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I'm glad MIB did fine internationally. It's not a great film, but I found it to be fun enough. Not as good as 1, but better than what I remember of 2 and 3.

Really surprised at the Metacritic score for it being so low. It's easily better than Life of Pets 2, and I liked it more than Aladdin.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I actually liked men in black

Was way more entertaining than Godzilla or Aladdin.

The chemistry between hemsworth and Thompson carries right over from ragnarok

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Looking at the Box Office Mojo charts, Dark Phoenix's drop is one of the worst in history among movies that a) opened with $30 million or more and b) excluding horror movies, which are extremely front loaded. The only comparable drop was the first Fifty Shades, but that made $85 million on its opening weekend. Disastrous.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much money Dark Phoenix would've made if they got Hugh Jackman back for it.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Hemsworth is watchable when he's acting cool but actually being the butt of the jokes, like Ragnarok and Endgame. Trying to dress him up as suave and cool like Will Smith ain't going to work.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Hemsworth is watchable when he's acting cool but actually being the butt of the jokes, like Ragnarok and Endgame. Trying to dress him up as suave and cool like Will Smith ain't going to work.

I don't think Hemsworth was supposed to be suave or cool in MIB. A large aspect of the story actually centers around a lot of his cohorts feeling that he's become a bit reckless and inept.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, a re-release of Paris is Burning is the top PTA of the week. That's how interesting the limited releases are. At least The Last Black Man in San Francisco expanded solidly.

Where did the budget go in MiB?

Not sure how they got all the way up to $110 mil
Deadline is very insistent that the budget is only $94M, so it's weird that Sony is apparently inflating the budget number.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn John Wick still putting asses in seats. It's crazy that it has outgrossed Pokemon. I would have never have expected an R rated film with a third of the budget coming out a week after a mega hyped Pokemon movie to beat it.
john Wick is now the most popular media franchise of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.