Status
Not open for further replies.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
"Rogue One, which opened to $155 million in 2016, carried a gross budget of $265 million, which seems to be an appropriate comparison for Solo given all of the massive reshoots and production issues it endured."
http://observer.com/2018/05/solo-star-wars-story-budget-box-office-disney-lucasfilm/

It gives an idea I guess :)

If you go to the direct source they used it shows that Rogue One's budget was $220 million after $45 million in tax incentives. Solo would have similar tax incentives.

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Hobbs and Shaw will secretly be Tokyo Drift 2. Lucas Black will shave off what hair he's got left and join the other two to fight the Yakuza or something.

Rock will supplex a shinkansen.

Dude's got the weirdest head shape, I'd be so down for this!

lucas-black_sc_768x1024.png

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
If MI6 carries the same quality as the last two but doesn't make at least $250m domestic, I'm gonna be really bummed.

I think there's a strong chance it falls short. I really like the MI franchise but I just run into a lot of people that are big fans. Not sure if it's the Tom Cruise effect or what.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
How much do DVD sales make these days? I never hear about them, and I forget they exist most of the time, I haven't bought one in years. But I assume they still add a sizable little chunk on top of box office takings?

Can someone point me in the direction of sales numbers for DVD / Blu Ray stuff? How much do they usually add to the pot?

make no mistake about it, the right film which blew up at the cinema can still add an additional 100m+ WW from home video sales

up until a couple of years ago i used to be the quality manager at the UKs largest digital media replication plant (there were only 3 for the studios in the UK, so it wasn't that bigger deal)

the last big title we did before i left was Fast and Furious 7, at 1.8m units on dvd and 600k units on blu-ray

even at £10 each, that's £24m or $32m, from one single territory (granted probably the 2nd or 3rd biggest home video territory, but still)

throw in a big home video release in the US, and again you can easily see how some titles can add 100m to total revenue

also, at the time i left, 20th century fox and universal pictures had got us down to 8p (or 11 cents) per 'vanilla' dvd unit, and 21p (28 cents) per 'vanilla' blu-ray unit (vanilla was; case, inlay, single disc, and overwrap (so no sticker, insert, or additional disc))

the outlay from the studio for a 2.4m unit order of fast and furious 7 was probably around $400k (adding a bit extra on for 'variants', which are two disc versions, art cards, steelbooks, etc)

a $400k manufacturing outlay for $32m in revenue (which is obviously further cut into to pay the wholesalers) is pretty rewarding

i was constantly astonished just how much power the major studios had over replicators and how much they stretched the bottom line year on year

physical home video might slowly be diminishing in numbers, but the cost to produce it for the studios is still ridiculously cheap

Oct 29, 2017
Not necessarily. As ticket prices continue to rise and the global box office continues to grow, Avatar will eventually fall, when looking at un-adjusted grosses. That won't detract from what Avatar (and Titanic) accomplished at those specific places in time, though.
I want to see a Top 5 made up entirely of Avatar and Avenger films in the next 5 years.

1. Avatar 1
2. Avengers Infinity War 1
3. Avatar 2
4. Avengers Infinity War 2
5. Avatar 3

Yggfk

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

I'll do you one better:

300px-Uatu.jpg

He's ALWAYS been Uatu. He fucked up the F&F timeline in order to to get the wheels turning and culminate in the biggest crossver event ever.

This is how two worlds collide.

Now, heroes from different dimentions will have to learn to deal with their differences like a family in order to restore balance in the universe and avenge Han's death.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I want to see a Top 5 made up entirely of Avatar and Avenger films in the next 5 years.

1. Avatar 1
2. Avengers Infinity War 1
3. Avatar 2
4. Avengers Infinity War 2
5. Avatar 3

Really don't see the Avatar sequels hitting 2 billion. Besides that, Lion King is gonna be up there. I could see:
1. Avatar
2. Titanic
3. Avengers Infinity War
4. Force Awakens
5. The Lion King

Bonus: All Disney properties!

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Bow Wow would need to be the lead in a Tokyo Drift sequel. He'll actually be old enough to drive what is considered to be the best live-action version of the Hulk.

tHJLOQP.jpg

/s

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I do find it pretty dumb that Cameron and co called Battle Angel 'Alita: Battle Angel' just to keep up the T and A superstition lol.

Nobody knows wtf Alita is. That's some John Carter shit right there.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I do find it pretty dumb that Cameron and co called Battle Angel 'Alita: Battle Angel' just to keep up the T and A superstition lol.

Nobody knows wtf Alita is. That's some John Carter shit right there.
Nobody knows what Battle Angel is either. At least they kept that part in the name unlike the John Carter debacle.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
"Marvel Fans, we have BIG news! For all of you Marvel Superhero SUPER fans, get your SUPER pass now for Avengers 5: The Coming Of Galactus. For only $79.99, experience the movie one FULL week before everyone else! Experience the red carpet world premiere experience... via live stream! It's like the stars are really there! Also included with your SUPER pass is a limited edition POSTER and TOPPER FOR YOUR LIMITED EDITION AVENGERS 5 CUP"

I'm telling you, it's coming. They aren't milking the super fans nearly enough. The fans that fly to comic con to see 1 minute of exclusive footage. The fans that buy a $300 Hot Toy of Captain America with a beard. That's when the current records start dropping like flies.

And all the normies will have to wait an extra week to pay regular ticket prices. Good luck avoiding spoilers, kids!

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
"Marvel Fans, we have BIG news! For all of you Marvel Superhero SUPER fans, get your SUPER pass now for Avengers 5: The Coming Of Galactus. For only $79.99, experience the movie one FULL week before everyone else! Experience the red carpet world premiere experience... via live stream! It's like the stars are really there! Also included with your SUPER pass is a limited edition POSTER and TOPPER FOR YOUR LIMITED EDITION AVENGERS 5 CUP"

I'm telling you, it's coming. They aren't milking the super fans nearly enough. The fans that fly to comic con to see 1 minute of exclusive footage. The fans that buy a $300 Hot Toy of Captain America with a beard. That's when the current records start dropping like flies.

And all the normies will have to wait an extra week to pay regular ticket prices. Good luck avoiding spoilers, kids!
Marvel is doing fine milking the fuck out of Funko fans. Actually, they need to tell Funko to fuck off with those bobble heads and make regular vinyls.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
He's only made two movies since True Lies. Titanic and Avatar. Plenty of people found both likable enough.

I wasn't arguing "plenty of people" I was expressing my own hopes. As in, I hope Avatar doesn't make bank and we don't see more and more of them. If A2 is a better story than Avatar or Titanic I will be pleasantly surprised. Nothing Cameron has said in 10 years makes me think he's going to make a movie that I'll like much.

Avatar was a heck of a visual experience with a crap story, and I outright hated Titanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.