• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

tTtfqKM.png

mNhHwRQ.png

8LG3VGx.png

mwCuoSY.png

GHifQn5.png

4th Update Sunday AM: Refresh for chart and more analysis – After an awesome $23.3M Saturday, Sony's Jumanji The Next Level has exploded to a $60.1M, far exceeding expectations. That's the biggest domestic opening for Sony in the month of December, an all-time record opening weekend for a comedy in the month of December, as well as the biggest live-action opening weekend for Kevin Hart and Jack Black and the biggest opening weekend of all-time for director Jake Kasdan. Wow. Yes, Virginia, people do go to the movies in December before Christmas (and not just Star Wars). It also shows the excitement that audiences have for this star-studded IP; the fact that they would make time for it amid holiday activities. Kids K-12 don't even begin to holiday vacations until this Friday (at 15% on break) despite close to 60% of all U.S. colleges being off tomorrow.

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One more Disney Chart before Star Wars.

xNG7lHx.jpg

Now it has been reported that Disney has grossed past $10 Bn for the year already, this is most likely from holdovers from the previous year (Ralph 2, Mary Poppins Returns, The Nutcracker Film everyone forgot about.) though since I don't have exact figures on how much they grossed this year, they aren't being charted, and I dunno, maybe there's some fudge? Who knows. 10 Bn for this chart is almost certainly being hit this week with Star Wars opening though.

Jumanji opened well and beat tracking, that's nice I suppose. TIme to see if it can get close to the 900 Million the first did with a release before Star Wars this time.

Oh and Cats is happening next week.

Oh Cats.

Last edited:

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it petty that I'm happy that Richard Jewell did shitty and won't make near the money that Queen and Slim did?

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Knives Out must have outstanding WoM. I wonder if Lionsgate will make an Oscars push.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People sure like their Jumanjass. Will it have the same legs as the previous one though?

Nov 27, 2017
California
Didn't Jumanji go toe to toe with the last Jedi two years ago? Or come close/head to head
The rock vs Star Wars vs cats this week

Ah thought the rock beat Star Wars

May 10, 2018
Pretty good for Jumanji. The previous one came out in the middle of the week and hit $71 million for a six day total, so the sequel hitting $60 million on the 3 day is good news for Sony.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Cats, why did they decide to release that on Star Wars weekend? Didn't that film have a budget like Infinity War?

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Good lord. Playmobil won'tveven make it to a million after 10 days in theatres? More than 1000 theaters have it and stock yet it only has a $115 per theater average? Pathetic.

Is it petty that I'm happy that Richard Jewell did shitty and won't make near the money that Queen and Slim did?
Maybe. But it's satisfying as hell. And it has better reviews too. Black excellence wins again.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Surprised Jumanji is doing so well. I thought 2017's would be lightning in a bottle. Guess Sony's got another franchise now (to run into the ground in a few years).

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Possibly. I know many the Clint Eastwood but I never heard of Richard until it was mentioned on here, I have A List so if I have time to kill I may check it out. I can't imagine what he and his loved ones went through. It's a shame who the director is looms over it because it's an interesting story.

In this day and age it probably would've been called out with all the fake news stuff around now.

In this day and age it probably would've been called out with all the fake news stuff around now.

I did see Jumanji yesterday and thought it was pretty good, I'm someone that didn't see the last one and it really didn't hurt my experience at all. Now I probably will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.