Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I am curious to see the reaction and box office performance of Doctor Sleep

Also its 2019, who the fuck still sees Roland Emmerich movies?

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Deadline's article

(Sleep) which runs 2 1/2 hours is lower than the $2.75M made by New Line's Curse of La Llorona, and lower than Paramount's reboot of Stephen King's Pet Sematary back during the Easter/spring break period which did $2.3M. Opening weekend estimates for Doctor Sleep, which cost in the mid $50Ms before P&A, are in the $25M-$30M range. Remember, it's a pure 4-day weekend with Veterans Day falling on Monday.

Lionsgate/AGC Studios' Midway drew $925K at previews in 2,600 locations at 7PM. As expected, pic's Thursday night is being compared to 12 Strong which made $900K from 7PM showtimes and turned in an opening weekend of $15.8M. The Roland Emmerich directed movie is expected to draw $12M-$14M this weekend.

Universal's Last Christmas made $575K last night from 7PM shows in 2,700 theaters. Pic expands to 3,448 venues today. Expectations for the Paul Feig romantic comedy were in the mid-teens, with the expectation that it would peg ahead of Midway. With these low preview night figures and a 3-star grade, that opening could be lower.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Theater counts for the weekend:

Screenshot_20191108-090921_1o.png

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like Joker but it's had an incredible run and it's impressive it's retained that many theaters.

Props to Warner Bros

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Ouch at Doctor Sleep. No idea why they didn't push this out before Halloween.

Maybe they wanted that sweet Veteran's Day Weekend box office money?

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Most theaters around me dropped Arctic Dogs to a single 11am show a day.

Ford v Ferrari reviews are looking good.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a case of a studio over estimating the appeal of a movie? The Shining is a very well known movie with a few pop culture touchpoints, but how many people under the age of like 35 actually know or care about it?

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Doctor Sleep is one of the best horror flicks of the year, so of course it's going to only make like $12.

I don't think the trailers did the movie justice either.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Is this a case of a studio over estimating the appeal of a movie? The Shining is a very well known movie with a few pop culture touchpoints, but how many people under the age of like 35 actually know or care about it?
I imagine they're familiar with its more popular cultural touchstones -- namely the twins and "Heeeeeeere's Johnny!" -- but very few of them have actually seen the film itself, which is bad news for anything pitching itself as a sequel. Not to mention that it features zero of the original cast, which obviously makes sense for logistical reasons but is not really conducive with box office success.

(It's also funny to me how pretty much every "Here's Johnny!" reference in 2019 is likely referencing The Shining, which was itself referencing Johnny Carson. The pop culture snake will forever be eating its own tail.)

Nov 1, 2017
Interesting that Paul Feig makes a bugnuts crazy movie last year that somehow became a hit and this year he makes probably his most blatantly mainstream movie ever and it's gonna bomb

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to watch Ford v Ferrari in a few weeks. Hoping it does well at the box office!

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Have you forgotten how everyone was talking about The Shining sequence in Ready Player One???

Oh right, nobody was talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.