• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume this is the new Chinese box office going forward. It will be more limiting then open.
Currently I wonder whether studios will finally quit being beholden to what the CCP consider permissible when creating their films, or if they'll just bend over even farther backwards to appease that government to gain access to the market.
Inhumans existed long before the MCU-linked replacement nonsense, and there's no reason you couldn't have Inhumans and X-Men stories going in theaters at the same time. They just have to move them back into their own lane.
Plausible, though it doesn't seem like it'll be an immediate priority after the (presumably) non-canonical ABC attempts between the royal family show and what Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D did with the concept of Inhumans.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I was busy this weekend, we be seeing Eternals next week, so I will contribute to next weeks box office, hehe.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really like Chloé Zhao, but I'm really sick of super hero movies. Wish enough of these would underperform that we'd get a break from them for a decade or so. I guess no real hope for that though.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I read people saying that Shang-Chi had the same Saturday drop and would have grossed about the same if it was a holiday weekend which also counts the Monday gross.

The international numbers are also better than Shang-Chi, and both don't have China but Eternals has been banned from different countries, so while I don't know if they've opened in the same amount of countries by this point, I would think that is a good sign.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I read people saying that Shang-Chi had the same Saturday drop and would have grossed about the same if it was a holiday weekend which also counts the Monday gross.

The international numbers are also better than Shang-Chi, and both don't have China but Eternals has been banned from different countries, so while I don't know if they've opened in the same amount of countries by this point, I would think that is a good sign.
Honestly I would like to know the rationale behind expecting such a massive drop on Sunday for Eternals, out of curiosity.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

no? From box office analysts, this was the MCUs largest Saturday drop. It would have to be as presales for Eternals was almost 100% more than Shang-Chi yet it's total is to be projected around the same suggesting most who viewed this weekend were the die hards and they weren't giving good wom

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Really like Chloé Zhao, but I'm really sick of super hero movies. Wish enough of these would underperform that we'd get a break from them for a decade or so. I guess no real hope for that though.

Why not just... Not watch them? Why does break imply that everyone needs to be deprived of them?

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Because they've overrun the box office and basically made other types of movies disappear.

I hate to tell you this, but even if superhero movies vanished, that doesn't imply that the other movies you want come back. They just get replaced with another similar type of blockbuster.

You're literally asking for the movie type you're not interested in to go away, and then have the public like what you like. That's not how life works.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
NTTD having an insane run. I remember scoffing at them asking for 600M or whatever to put it on a streaming service… shows you how little I know!

Yeah 70M+ is hardly a disaster. I'm not confident about its legs but it could certainly be a lot worse

It's a 200 million dollar movie based on a comic book even my 55-year-old brother (who's been reading comics since he was 5) barely knows. 70 million is amazing. If Disney loses money on this, it's their own, damn fault.

Oct 31, 2017

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Because they've overrun the box office and basically made other types of movies disappear.
I hate to tell you this but Kate Hudson romcoms aren't going to have a resurgence. Blame Netflix. People go to the movies for events now. There's a smorgasbord of entertainment available for streaming at home.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
no? From box office analysts, this was the MCUs largest Saturday drop. It would have to be as presales for Eternals was almost 100% more than Shang-Chi yet it's total is to be projected around the same suggesting most who viewed this weekend were the die hards and they weren't giving good wom
Both dropped 21%.

Check for yourself, the charts are in the OP.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
Both dropped 21%.

Check for yourself, the charts are in the OP.
Eh the stats show a much larger Sunday drop and worse for eternals is the decreasing day of purchases. Shang-Chi was 2% higher in day of sales again and while the data's not provided it suggests most of saturdays sales were advance tickets and likely why the Sunday estimate is another 30% drop.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Currently I wonder whether studios will finally quit being beholden to what the CCP consider permissible when creating their films, or if they'll just bend over even farther backwards to appease that government to gain access to the market.

Plausible, though it doesn't seem like it'll be an immediate priority after the (presumably) non-canonical ABC attempts between the royal family show and what Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D did with the concept of Inhumans.

Trying to appease the CCP's guidelines was never really a permanent answer to higher box office numbers since it is a manner of playing a game of cat and mouse with the authorities. What is permissable changes from year to year and it is difficult to know what can get you blocked. Chinese media companies face this problem all the time and it's common to hear completed films and TV series stuck in limbo forever because they didn't get approved.

The MCU probably has to adjust their budgets, and probably avoid ending up with situations like Robert Downey Jr's 50 mil salary. I wonder how much they paid Jolie for Eternals.

Also just to vent regarding Eternals' box office. Deadline put out this article https://deadline.com/2021/11/eterna...a-global-international-box-office-1234869559/

I see people online mistakenly calling the film the second-biggest worldwide opening, when the article is just talking about openings of Hollywood films. Several China films had bigger opening weeks than Eternals but many people seem to be ignoring those numbers and it is kind of frustrating to see that.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this deserve its own thread ? Since people keep saying that this wouldn't be the first $1 Billion box office movie lol

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
totally forgot, LA is requiring proof of vaccination starting today for movie theatres. Be interesting to see how it affects the box office moving forward.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Eternals is the first MCU movie that I didn't see opening night. Never missed a single one starting with Iron Man in 2008. I still haven't seen it. I literally cancelled my opening night tickets. It looks like such a slog and I just have zero interest in wasting nearly three hours in a theater for it right now. I know I have to get around to it eventually, but it has looked like a snooze from the first still.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to feel that way.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Eternal is doing slightly better numbers then Shang-chi and Black Widow right? Maybe this is just the numbers that Marvel stuff does now; still great, but nowhere near before. Spider-man will be an exception of course, because it is spider-man. But its clear to me that Phase Four has been a bit more... muted, although it could all be covid related. I am not an expert or anything, so I could be wrong!

SoWizardBreh

Oct 30, 2017
Phase 4 MCU just feels listless. No big bad lurking building toward something. I completely understand that Endgame wiped the board and we are now starting over but it's just lacking some kind of oomph.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phase 4 MCU just feels listless. No big bad lurking building toward something. I completely understand that Endgame wiped the board and we are now starting over but it's just lacking some kind of oomph.

The Loki show is the only thing to hint at what the overarching villain and theme will be but yeah, feels a bit aimless right now.

What I'm wondering is when we get another big, crossover, team up film on the scale of Avengers.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Dennis has a habit of it.
Blade Runner 2049 is literally his only financial disappointment.

Eternal is doing slightly better numbers then Shang-chi and Black Widow right? Maybe this is just the numbers that Marvel stuff does now; still great, but nowhere near before. Spider-man will be an exception of course, because it is spider-man. But its clear to me that Phase Four has been a bit more... muted, although it could all be covid related. I am not an expert or anything, so I could be wrong!

Domestically it opened lower than those two.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
3 day weekend is 4 million less than Shang chi and 14 million less than black widow I believe

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Phase 4 is doing a great job building up new heroes and providing more depth to already established ones that didn't get a lot of screen time until now. The big event movies are just around the corner with Spider-man and Dr Strange while the series will introduce more new faces and expand the universe at both a street and cosmic level. As an MCU fan I am very happy with the MCU's current direction.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Remember also you need to provide an entry point for new people to join the series too. Films like this that don't have arc set ups for the next saga help with that.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
Eternals is the first MCU movie that I didn't see opening night. Never missed a single one starting with Iron Man in 2008. I still haven't seen it. I literally cancelled my opening night tickets. It looks like such a slog and I just have zero interest in wasting nearly three hours in a theater for it right now. I know I have to get around to it eventually, but it has looked like a snooze from the first still.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to feel that way.
Same here.

The other big problem is that a lot of the future Marvel movies are going to feature lesser known characters. In wrestling terms, if the first Saga was mostly main event players and upper midcarders, we're starting to get into the lower midcarders and straight up jobbers if we keep getting legitimately new MCU entries. That's not to say that they can't have good movies, but they are going to need to REALLY draw people in with the action and stories rather than on the strength of whomever they concern, and certainly not just on the Marvel Brand alone. It ain't happening anymore with many of the long-standing favorites out of the picture.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
huh No Time To Die is $20 to rent digitally pretty much everywhere in the USA, almost exactly 30 days after theatrical release (Oct 8th was USA box office release). Pretty wild and crazy for me, would never have imagined a big blockbuster movie like this being watchable at home so quickly (ignoring the day/date HBO Max stuff, which ends with Matrix 4).

I'll probably rent it this weekend and hold a watch party for family. They bring the food, I pay for the movie, I win!

Shang Chi is on D+ in 3 days, wonder what kind of roll out Eternals will get for VOD/streaming. 45 days, VOD for a while then D+? Wonder how the contracts work for VOD/D+ with Disney movies now.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Same here.

The other big problem is that a lot of the future Marvel movies are going to feature lesser known characters. In wrestling terms, if the first Saga was mostly main event players and upper midcarders, we're starting to get into the lower midcarders and straight up jobbers if we keep getting legitimately new MCU entries. That's not to say that they can't have good movies, but they are going to need to REALLY draw people in with the action and stories rather than on the strength of whomever they concern, and certainly not just on the Marvel Brand alone. It ain't happening anymore with many of the long-standing favorites out of the picture.

... Ok first off, we still have a ton of big players both active and incoming. Like... Fantastic Four and the X-Men are huge characters. That's not lower tier. Blade is also on the way too.

Second, I'm sorry, what? Do you not remember that the long standings were basically nobodies almost a decade ago until Avengers 1? People were literally making Iron Man and friends jokes. Heck, no one knew who the guardians were.

This is absolutely ridiculous, and just based on one movie's shaky perception.

Jul 15, 2020
Saw Eternals last night and thought it was fine, don't know how you could make the movie shorter without cutting out a bunch of character/world building. Think I enjoyed it more than Black widow but that movie was sort of a drag to me.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
$71M isn't bad, especially when compared to the competition.
Some people are really desperate to see the MCU fail.