Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
It's somewhat ironic to me that a substantial part of the MCU's struggles are because they're doing the thing that a lot of fans always complain the comics should have done — namely, trying to transition to new characters and let older established properties come to an end. This just validates keeping these original franchises going in perpetuity.
It's ironic to me that Marvel has basically followed the exact same blueprint that contributed to the crash in the 90s. The Infinity Gauntlet launched at the top of the boom in 91 and was a massive hit. It was this large interconnected storyline that was massively popular. Then what came after it was a glut of sequels, crossovers, and cameos that flooded the market with tons of subpar stories that were difficult to keep up with. Sounds familiar

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
It's somewhat ironic to me that a substantial part of the MCU's struggles are because they're doing the thing that a lot of fans always complain the comics should have done — namely, trying to transition to new characters and let older established properties come to an end. This just validates keeping these original franchises going in perpetuity.

I am genuinely wondering if the new characters don't end up reaching the level of success they want/expect, they will end up doing if the same things the comics did, reviving older characters (with some being recasted) status quo resets, adopting the sliding timescale, etc

southwest

Sep 15, 2022
Which is exactly why they should have done a traditional Captain Marvel 2 that shows her dealing with the fallout of her battling the Kree. Could have had a whole trilogy that takes place before Endgame with cool cosmic stuff.

Probably not a billion dollar movie, but would have done better than the Marvels.
Yeah this should have been the third film

I mean Marvel comics did that. It failed miserably and they walked it back.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Hm.. Why did the women demo reject The Marvels?
Simple, the characters didn't appeal to women.

I mean let's be honest here, Captain Marvel was never a deep, fleshed out character. She was a strong independent woman but had little in the way of charisma or personality.

And of course the Superhero genre has historically never appealed to women, so it has that against it as well.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
0e5c2b54e969708176cfaabe5db081ec.gif
All that shitting on black Adam and it ended up making decent money in the end.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I am genuinely wondering if the new characters don't end up reaching the level of success they want/expect, they will end up doing if the same things the comics did, reviving older characters (with some being recasted) status quo resets, adopting the sliding timescale, etc

I mean they can do that, but it's not a guarantee the audiences will be interested in a recast Cap or Tony. More importantly, if the films are still terrible or mediocre, then it will be only a short-term solution(due to curiosity) before audiences check out again.

DCEU is an example that having the most popular characters or the most popular actors can't overcome bad product and bad decision making. Black Adam and The Flash should have been huge hits. WB made sure they injected more than enough Batman in The Flash marketing to drum up interest but to no avail.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The original Wonder Woman is as far as I know the only superhero movie with a majority female audience. The original Cap Marvel split was something like 55/45 male/female.

entut1

Mar 31, 2023
Kung Fu Panda 4 is like 3.5 months away from releasing and still hasn't gotten a teaser. It's possibly going to be delayed a bit.

As when it comes to its success... Who knows.

Puss 2 came off a 550M movie (11 years later granted) and did a bit 480M at the BO.

Kung Fu Panda 4 is coming off 3 who did 520M at the BO (tho that was 7-8 years ago). I don't know for sure if it'll work but assuming the movie is good and the fact this is DreamWorks second biggest franchise from a BO standpoint, it could reach the 500M mark (the franchise peak is somewhere in the high 600M I believe). It is the only animated movie in March til June's Inside Out 2. Maybe with legs and all.

Last edited:

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

I think they just swung too hard on new characters. Phase 1 introduced 3 main characters (Cap, IM, Thor) and some backing/supporting folks (Hulk*, Black Widow, Hawkeye). Then we get The Avengers. The team doesn't officially expand again until Avengers: Age of Ultron with Wanda and Vision. The Phase 1 characters all got follow-ups in Phase 2, pretty quickly.

Post-Endgame, these characters just don't get that. Shang-Chi is a ghost, Cap Marvel was a ghost, Eternals are ghosts, etc....

I'm sure Boseman's death hurt a lot, I imagine BP2 would've had him move into one of the "top 3" spots. I don't know though, it all just seems unfocused compared to Phases 1, 2, and 3

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Putting women in lead roles doesn't automatically makes them want to see a movie, especially if it's an unattractive, unpopular brand and genre with said demo.
It's such a lazy, shallow, overly-simplistic concept.
Especially if those characters look to be yet again unappealing, unrelatable girlboss characters, that wear horrible, fugly, unstilysh superhero costumes, that have no romance or love triangles with hot men, preferably shirtless.
I rewatched Superman (1978) yesterday for the first time since my childhood and gosh, there's nothing in MCU that comes close to the scene of Superman and Lois Lane flying together.

Last edited:

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotal but all the women I know who used to go to the Marvel movies did so because of hot guys doing hot guy things. Mainly Thor and Loki, but also Cap. Most didn't actually go to see Captain Marvel in theaters nor did they watch Wandavision/Ms Marvel. None of them had any interest in The Marvels as well.

They would go to the event movies because people in their circles were also going but wouldn't go by themselves.

The whole theater industry is very snowbally on both ways. People will go to watch something (even if they don't particularly care for it) if someone they know is going but it's equally likely that the opposite is true. Theater going is still a very social experience for a lot of people.
You make some good points. Many people go to the movies just to hang out with their friends regardless of their interest in said movie, and eye candy never hurts.

The D+ homework required for The Marvels probably just turned a lot of people off.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Putting women in lead roles doesn't automatically makes them want to see a movie, especially if it's an unattractive, unpopular brand and genre with said demo.
It's such a lazy, shallow, overly-simplistic concept.
Especially if those characters look to be yet again unappealing, unrelatable girlboss characters, that wear horrible, fugly, unstilysh superhero costumes, that have no romance or love triangles with hot men, preferably shirtless.
If it was as easily simple as your explanation then Aquaman 2 would be coasting to a billion, which it's not looking like it will get anywhere near what the previous movie did. Woman can show up for male eye candy, but it's not gonna carry a movie if they're also being told to do homework before seeing it, told that the movie doesn't matter in the long run, or the movie isn't great, or all of the above. The superhero genre is being flooded with too much of everything and quality control being all over the place. This is what killed the YA movie genre post Hunger Games, and that's a genre that prides itself on having attractive dudes.
I rewatched Superman (1978) yesterday for the first time since my childhood and gosh, there's nothing in MCU that comes close to the scene of Superman and Lois Lane flying together.
Hot Take: Marvel doesn't have anything that comes close to Lois and Clark. Even Peter and MJ aren't a close comparison. The best Superman stories almost always involve Lois. Half of Superman's character is his love for Lois.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You make some good points. Many people go to the movies just to hang out with their friends regardless of their interest in said movie, and eye candy never hurts.

The D+ homework required for The Marvels probably just turned a lot of people off.
The D+ homework thing is not as real as the perception of it. These aren't super deep characters and storylined, you can go on YT and watch 5 to 10 minutes "Legends" video on these characters and you are more than caught up with all the relevant information. These Marvel Legends videos are meant to be recap videos to get you up to speed if you even care about the characters/storyline.

The issue here is that the content or storyline isn't compelling enough to make people want to go out and do the 15 minutes of research. Casual viewers have no problem watching 1 hour long podcast/discussion videos on stuff they like if it's compelling ie. Game of Thrones.

Like.. people don't go into a Mission Impossible 8 movie and think "ah man, I really want to see this movie but I haven't seen more than a couple of the MI movies." Either the shiny new movie catches their attention in the marketing or it doesn't.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The D+ homework thing is not as real as the perception of it. These aren't super deep characters and storylined, you can go on YT and watch 5 to 10 minutes "Legends" video on these characters and you are more than caught up with all the relevant information. These Marvel Legends videos are meant to be recap videos to get you up to speed if you even care about the characters/storyline.

The issue here is that the content or storyline isn't compelling enough to make people want to go out and do the 15 minutes of research. Casual viewers have no problem watching 1 hour long podcast/discussion videos on stuff they like if it's compelling ie. Game of Thrones.
Movies requiring any sort of outside material to understand it is poison to the brand. Game Of Thrones can still be followed if you watch every episode in order. The same isn't true of Marvel movies anymore.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Movies requiring any sort of outside material to understand it is poison to the brand. Game Of Thrones can still be followed if you watch every episode in order. The same isn't true of Marvel movies anymore.
I am saying you don't need to view outside material to understand what's going on here, only if you care to get more info. Stuff like Secret Invasion and Wanda Vision even go against the movies they preceed. This is exactly what I am talking about where it's a narrative formed around you NEEDING to watch Disney+ shows to understand the movies.

Disney+ has absolutely created a lot of the issues for the brand. It had diluted quality, vastly increased the amount of quantity and it has blurred the line between what is appropriate for theater versus streaming. Furthermore, it has trained audiences to "wait for streaming." This movie in particular I heard a lot of "this is a fine movie but just wait to watch on Disney+." You know what I didn't hear about this movie even in negative reviews? That I couldn't enjoy the movie because I hadn't watched the shows or Captain Marvel.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Damn you're right. Though it's not like any of them are amazing. Hopefully Supergirl will be amazing.
Yeah that's how I feel with most of them(not amazing).

I do want the new Supergirl movie to be really good but I know for a fact it can't be as bad as the 1984 Supergirl movie(which is one of the worst female superhero movies ever made).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I am saying you don't need to view outside material to understand what's going on here, only if you care to get more info. Stuff like Secret Invasion and Wanda Vision even go against the movies they preceed. This is exactly what I am talking about where it's a narrative formed around you NEEDING to watch Disney+ shows to understand the movies.

Disney+ has absolutely created a lot of the issues for the brand. It had diluted quality, vastly increased the amount of quantity and it has blurred the line between what is appropriate for theater versus streaming. Furthermore, it has trained audiences to "wait for streaming." This movie in particular I heard a lot of "this is a fine movie but just wait to watch on Disney+." You know what I didn't hear about this movie even in negative reviews? That I couldn't enjoy the movie because I hadn't watched the shows or Captain Marvel.
You don't "need" to watch the D+ stuff but audiences will naturally feel disengaged if they see two of the leads of a movie be D+ characters. The Avengers didn't absolutely necessitate you to watch literally every movie to understand it but there was a clear lineage building up to it with the previous movies, where if you didn't see Thor you can at least understand that Thor and Loki are from his movie but you will miss finer details. Seeing Kamala and Monica in these trailers are more prone to make audiences go "who?" They might not even be aware there are D+ shows with these characters.

The premise of Phase 1-3 was easy; watch every movie and you'll get everything. Now it's mired with 6 hour D+ shows, and telling people to watch recap videos to get all the details is brand poison, no two ways about this. Disney miscalculated heavily by leaning into the D+ shows as important worldbuilding.

southwest

Sep 15, 2022
In
But people don't know that until they see the film. The perception of needing to watch D+ shows is where the problem lies in my opinion, not whether it's actually needed after the fact or not.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
If it was as easily simple as your explanation then Aquaman 2 would be coasting to a billion, which it's not looking like it will get anywhere near what the previous movie did. Woman can show up for male eye candy, but it's not gonna carry a movie if they're also being told to do homework before seeing it, told that the movie doesn't matter in the long run, or the movie isn't great, or all of the above. The superhero genre is being flooded with too much of everything and quality control being all over the place. This is what killed the YA movie genre post Hunger Games, and that's a genre that prides itself on having attractive dudes.
As I said, it's just one thing in a more complex situation, of course (it still helps a lot). That said, yeah, Aquaman 2 will probably bomb, but still its predecessor managed to be successful despite no one seemingly caring about it.

Aug 4, 2020
Also looking at some early Aquaman tracking the trend for superhero bombas aint stopping. I suppose China could soften the blow maybe.

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking as someone who wrote the first Aquaman off until I heard the WOM, assuming the reviews aren't dire for this one, I'll be there for A2, completely out of my mind on edibles. I really don't care that its a movie part of a dead universe, in fact that's appealing to me these days! I'm beyond over the novelty of an interconnected universe, I'm really just looking for a good time at the movies.

That said, I'm pretty sure The Marvels, Shazam 2 and BB are gonna have even more company soon in the loser's circle. It feels like superhero movies are the new western, and the 1970's just arrived

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
I know that Covid played a big factor here, but I think another issue is just waiting too long for a followup. If your movie is legit great, sure, you can take 5 or 10 years off. But if it's mediocre in the way that Aquaman and Captain Marvel are, 5 years is too long. It only took 8 years for the Fast and Furious series to go from the OG to OMG REMEMBER THE FIRST FILM ALL YOUR FAVES ARE BACK nostalgia play. And for #ItsAllConnected as DC and Marvel are supposed to be, they haven't had either character do anything cool in the meantime. They pop up, say a one liner or show up on a holograpic zoom call and peace out. It kills their momentum.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
if the old studio system (superhero movie) is dying ala 1970, does that mean we're about to see a bunch of auteur driven, high quality, low budget films coming soon to theatres near you?

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
From what I checked, Deadline's box office tracking for Wish (reported back from early November) are pegging Wish at a $50 million for its 5-day Thanksgiving OW. Box Office Pro (from five days ago) has a slightly-to-strongly more positive outlook, with a range between $57M to $86M for the 5-day period.

Assuming the lower-range projection is accurate...not really seeing how that's a positive outlook (which is SlashFilm's take on it). A $50M-$57M OW is roughly around the same amount of money that Pixar's Lightyear (which also cost $200M to produce) brought in with its 3-day summer OW; and that film proceeded to become the new reference point for a Pixar-produced box office bomb.

And say what you will about Lightyear, but that film had a better critical reaction than what Wish is garnering now...

bandicam-2023-11-21-11-45-53-242.jpg

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
if the old studio system (superhero movie) is dying ala 1970, does that mean we're about to see a bunch of auteur driven, high quality, low budget films coming soon to theatres near you?
I know it's not what you mean, but I actually have a theater near me with mostly this kind of film, after the pandemic they expanded to mainstream stuff but it's still mostly focused on that. I'm going there today to watch Killers again lol

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
From what I checked, Deadline's box office tracking for Wish (reported back from early November) are pegging Wish at a $50 million for its 5-day Thanksgiving OW. Box Office Pro (from five days ago) has a slightly-to-strongly more positive outlook, with a range between $57M to $86M for the 5-day period.

Assuming the lower-range projection is accurate...not really seeing how that's a positive outlook (which is SlashFilm's take on it). A $50M-$57M OW is roughly around the same amount of money that Pixar's Lightyear (which also cost $200M to produce) brought in with its 3-day summer OW; and that film proceeded to become the new reference point for a Pixar-produced box office bomb.

And say what you will about Lightyear, but that film had a better critical reaction than what Wish is garnering now...

This movie wishes to get to 500 million after these not so good reviews. WOM and the 1st 3 weeks need to be strong for it.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

The slight difference is that family movies (and movies in general) play much longer during the holiday season, and should see far better legs than a summer tentpole. But the reviews for Wish make that an uncertainty. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out. It's going to be hard to tell performance by opening weekend alone, unless it somehow nosedives right out of the gate.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Madame Web's trailer views are already outpacing Aquadung's months-old trailer.

This is truly the year audiences said fuck no to capeshit
The original Wonder Woman is as far as I know the only superhero movie with a majority female audience. The original Cap Marvel split was something like 55/45 male/female.
The power of Chris Pine's infinite charisma

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest movies of the year are still part of brand of sorts. I doubt that changes.

What will change is budget allocated to most blockbuster movies.

Also we might see a break in superhero movies for 2024, but 2025 is JAM PACKED with them. DCEU with its brand rebooting might have a chance of capturing back the audience.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther, for sure. Still has some of the ugliest CG for such a big budget release. Black Widow has a couple iffy shots, but still overall looks good.

I have a good feeling about Migration, and I can't pinpoint why. If nothing else it will be a stunner, the visuals are bonkers gorgeous. Makes Wish look like it came out 15 years ago.
That was 100% Black Panther. People were going "wtf" in real time during the final fight.

maxresdefault.jpg
Constantly, the sequences of poor CG are in the third act, which we later find out was heavily revamped in post production. Then it looks rushed and shoddy. Maybe they should stop revamping things so often without changing release dates.