• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you begun to consider starting a physical media collection (Blu-Rays, 4K UHD Blu-Rays etc)?

• I already (and still plan to) collect physical media

Votes: 334 42.9%
  • Yes, I have begun to consider starting a physical media collection

Votes: 15 1.9%
  • No, I don't have any plans to start a physical media collection any time soon

Votes: 429 55.1%

• Total voters

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't quite understand the difference between HBO and HBO max. I thought they were the same.

HBO is the broadcast channel while HBO Max is the streaming service. HBO Max includes HBO current broadcast content, HBO broadcast archive content, WB movies and TV shows, and HBO Max Originals which are exclusive to the streaming service.

Metal Gear?!

Jun 26, 2020
Sometimes I think about how this will happen in the video game space, and it's super depressing. The amount of releases on phones and digital platforms in the past decade whose marketplaces will fall by the wayside, the amount of license holders that will probably not exist in a few years' time to continue listing the games or hosting servers for online functionality that many of them rely on, and the small amount of people that will mourn (or even notice) the loss of a lot of those low-visibility releases; It's going to be a real perfect storm for literally thousands of games to be effectively lost to the sands of time.
This is already common in the videogame space

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Why, so they can retroactively remove titles from your library once they lose the right to sell it?

That is acceptable risk for me, as it haven't happened yet (or I just haven't noticed missing any titles) and I've been buying movies and series over 10 years from digital stores.

e. just verified, Fairy Tale season 101 from 2010 or so is still available in my library regardless that it's not available for purchase, see: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/season-101/8d6kgx0mk6kn

Last edited:

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have to admit, I never understood people that collected movies.
All my favorite movies back in the day, I watched when they came on TV.
For new films cinema or rental sometimes.

Now I don't watch anything anymore. Lol. Cinema is to much of a hassle.
And having 3 subscriptions is just to overwhelming. Lol.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I love buying Physical Games. When it comes to film, it has to be a very VERY special title to me to consider buying it physical.
I just don't have the space to support two big collections and I play far more than I watch.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand the correlation of buying physical media and this HBO Max debacle. Like I wouldn't be able to buy Amsterdam either way as it was just a streaming show.

MV5BZGYxMTIzNjEtYTAxZS00NGUxLTkyMjAtMjUwYWIxNDI3Y2YxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA3NjMyNzgz._V1_.jpg

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit, I never understood people that collected movies.
All my favorite movies back in the day, I watched when they came on TV.
For new films cinema or rental sometimes.

Now I don't watch anything anymore. Lol. Cinema is to much of a hassle.
And having 3 subscriptions is just to overwhelming. Lol.
Physical movies for me are a way to watch and hear it in almost archival quality. Very high bitrate video and lossless audio. If you have everything to take advantage of that home theater wise, it changes some movies for you. That's my favorite part of them. Digital is great for convenience but I just really like the art and act of the experience of the disc still.

Games are the same digital and physical, you aren't getting a different product if you choose one or the other on those. That's the big difference for me. It's definitely a case of you don't know what you're missing until you have all of the pieces together.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
It makes a lot of sense to buy physical when you have a dedicated home theater set up, which I do and I assume the majority of 4K UHD physical owners do also.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
This is already common in the videogame space
Kind of, but it feels like up through the 360/PS3/Wii gen, the number of releases was limited enough that people noticed when something went missing or was about to be delisted, and sounded the alarm to at least make people aware. Now we get dozens upon dozens of new digital games on these marketplaces week in week out, it's simply impossible to keep up with what's going up, which will make it exponentially harder to make people care or even notice when they go down.