• SNES

Votes: 112 10.9%
  • 3DS

Votes: 97 9.5%
  • PS2

Votes: 412 40.2%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Is got to be between the PS2 and 3DS for me - especially if you factor in backwards compatibility.

yr3y5trh44251.png

I like that P5R is included in the "Haven't Played" section

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I'd probably go 3DS. Switch is good, but the lack of backwards compatibility hurts it, even though I personally place emphasis on new original titles for thought exercises like this. So I'd put systems like PS1 and SNES high, too.

Personally think PS2 is very overrated on this front. It's good off the back of the PS1 library, but I think the new JRPGs of the PS2 were largely pretty bland. Doesn't help that I don't find Persona very good and I think the Final Fantasy games on it were meh.

PS4 is strong, too, although the lack of titles I can't get elsewhere hurts it for me personally. But again, I don't like Persona which probably hurts it where others see that title as probably a pretty big get for the PS4 in this conversation. I'm not sure there's a single PS4 JRPG I like that I can't get on Steam, which hurts it for me. Hard for me to rank the PS4 too high when I feel like, as a huge fan of JRPGs, I could've completely skipped the console and not missed out on anything. This isn't true for Switch and it's not true for 3DS.

I guess I'd go 3DS because it not only has access to a lot of great older titles from the eShop and DS backwards compatibility, but it has a comparatively large number of good JRPGs that you aren't going to be able to play elsewhere.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
While strong JRPGs release early in it's life certainly helped, the fact that it's seen as a successor to both the 3DS and the Vita is what solidified it as a JRPG powerhouse

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Wasn't a game it was the movement of the mid-tier game devs and the handheld audience in Japan to the system after the death of the Vita and the slowing of the 3DS.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Nintendo fanbase has a strong jrpg fanbase within it. Switch is handled. Also, niche stuff seem to perform well on Switch too so any niche JRPG dev might want to try to release their game on Switch, and Switch user want to play those niche games. Disgaea 5 indeed was a big early game, but imo yeah it was Xenoblade 2 the first big important JRPG release that made everyone think "yeah JRPGs are going to perform well here"

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you count ports then PS2 wins because of its library combined with the PS1s library

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
Showing off XC2, SMT5, and Octopath Traveler at the Switch debut event means Nintendo was positioning the Switch as an RPG device from the outset. XC2's big success cemented that, as did Octopath's. Also, the Switch is just very popular in Japan, which naturally leads to a lot of Japanese games being made for it.

OhMyZach

Oct 27, 2017
Handhelds always get a ton of JRPG support, and the Switch in particular allows very easy PS3 ports and can be scaled down from PS4 pretty easily as well, which is a boon because a lot of Japanese RPG studios weren't really pushing the hardware anyway

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Quite frankly it's the last appealing dedicated console in Japan handheld or not. There isn't a reason not to put your jrpg on the switch bar technical reasons.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Because it's the only handheld left which have been the home of JRPGs since the PS2 was sunset? Also because they're long af and people want that on something portable.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Spiritual successor to the vita, a lot of jRPG devs make lower budget titles and the switch is the best outlet for that.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I disagree with this. The line should be games natively released on each system. Seems the obvious line to differentiate between PS1 and PS2 and DS and 3DS for example.
That's fine. I disagree still - it's easier to draw the line and say "does the game work on my system?"

If yes, it's valid, otherwise you just get recycled original content being constantly ported. I'd exclude unofficial emulators. Also, the PC is inherently backwards compatible and transcends generations.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
A combination of Vita ports, the handheld predecessor (the 3DS) being so strong as a JRPG machine, and lower production costs are the biggest factors, I think.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
-Most popular console in Japan
-Only handheld console platform still in production

I mean, it's just a process of elimination here.
The platform ticks every single desirable checkbox.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's basically the successor of the DS and the 3DS. If Nintendo still had a dedicated handheld and a home console next to it, the majority of the JRPGs released on Switch would be only on the handheld.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's the successor to the DS and 3DS, for one, and the spiritual successor to the Vita. it also can handle modern 3D graphics. so 2D, 3D, retro, modern, whatever it is it's at home on the Switch

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Vita and 3DS devs need a place to go and the platform is popular in Japan. I still think a lot of 3DS devs aren't making the extra effort needed for an HD console though.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's no Vita anymore - that's why.

Why anyone would think 'Disgaea' could cause anything to come to any platform is beyond me.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
too be honest as much as those titles are great it was neither, if you're not particularly familiar with the rpg landscape on handheld the switch hits that sweet spot being easier and cost effective to develop for as well as being able to take on the go, if you have kept up with some of the greats over the past few gens (we'll use Persona 4 Gold on vita for example) as much as its amazing playing the next AAA JRPG it just makes business and viable sense especially in a pre-pandemic world for it to boom for your great jrpg dev let alone any developer.

The Vita was coyly coined a Persona 4G for a machine playing those games on the go anywhere to grind out the various traits that align to that genre of game is an easy win compared to making the next Final Fantasy/Persona. Being a popular Japanese developer that they and the world respects pays dividends too.

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine. I disagree still - it's easier to draw the line and say "does the game work on my system?"

If yes, it's valid, otherwise you just get recycled original content being constantly ported. I'd exclude unofficial emulators. Also, the PC is inherently backwards compatible and transcends generations.

Yeah it's weird to count ports to Switch in the OP but discount backwards compatibility for older systems?

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

To have a legit discussion about libraries you need to discuss what games were developed and released for that system. Otherwise JRPG machines like PS1 and PS2 are both irrelevant because some PS3's has BC.

It should be looked at for what games were originally developed and released on each system. Otherwise you just rule out all but a handful of systems that play the library of previous consoles.