• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

Great library stuck on godawful hardware. My n2DS XL is marginally better than the horror show that was my OG 3DS, but I still hate playing on the damn thing.

Precisely my sentiment. 3DS games have always deserved better than the 3DS. RIP. 🕯

I think the New 3DS (standard size) is the best version of the device, and it's the one I use, but it's the best version of something I always wished was better.

Deleted member 30887

User requested account closure.
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Still butthurt some games didn't get localized. Great ace attorney, DQ11, ex troopers. Still have a backlog to go through so I'm good.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm considering hacking my old 3DS (I primarily used my New 2DS). How well does it run games like Final Fantasy VI? I tried running it on my PSP and battle loading lagged hard.

Ran 100% fine for me via Snes9x. You can use injectors to make CIA files of your old SNES games if you'd like to see them on the main screen of the 3DS, or just run the emulator straight up and select from a text list. The only game that has not run well for me on my New 3DS has been Seiken Densetsu 3, but otherwise the usual classics have all been absolutely great.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fuck it, I did it

iVPS4Ff.gif

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Such a shame Q2 is sub only. Would have loved to play it

I'm just going to keep my 3DS for Sword and Shield now

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
Since 2016, 3DS has received (off the top of my head):
  • Dragon Quest VII
  • Dragon Quest VIII
  • Monster Hunter Generations
  • Pokemon Sun/Moon
  • Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
  • Shin Megami Tensei 4 Apocalypse
  • Radiant Historia
  • Strange Journey
  • Etrian Odyssey V
  • Etrian Odyssey Nexus
  • Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth
  • Fire Emblem Fates
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Fire Emblem Echoes
  • Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Yoshi and Poochy's Wooly World
  • Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn
  • Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam
  • Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
  • Ever Oasis
  • Minecraft
So, um... ???
I was talking about first party, should've mentioned that:
  • Pokemon Sun/Moon: Of course pokémon is the exception.
  • Pokemon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon: A bit underwhelming compared to other second games of the same generation.
  • Fire Emblem Fates: Ok, but it was 2015, it started going bad after that.
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Downgrade port
  • Fire Emblem Echoes: Remake that's kinda meh but it's ok.
  • Metroid: Samus Returns: A slow remake at 30 fps.
  • Luigi's Mansion: An almost downgrade remake.
  • Yoshi and Poochy's Wooly World: A downgrade port.
  • Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn: A port (some downgrade maybe?)
  • Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam: More Mario&Luigi fast food.
  • Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga: More Mario&Luigi fast food.
  • Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story: More Mario&Luigi fast food.
  • Ever Oasis: Kinda ok.
  • Zelda triforce heroes: Bad multiplayer spin off.
  • Federation Force: very bad multiplayer spin off.
You get my idea of the effort nintendo put in 3DS those last years.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I have not turned my 3DS on once since the Switch came out. At that point it just felt entirely useless to me. I'm really amazed that any games have been released for it as long as they have and that Nintendo hasn't announced a successor.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
This game will be expensive as fuck in the future.
I get the feeling that Yo-kai watch 3 & Yo-kai blasters will end up being the most expensive late releases for 3DS. YW3 is already fetching double it's retail price on ebay and it only came out a few months back.

There are actually 2 games from Japan that did not receive an international release: Theatrhythm Dragon Quest and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3. I wonder why these never came?
Oh there is a lot more than that. Just on the DQ front none of the monsters games were localized for 3DS (they made a few) as well as DQ 11 3DS. =(

Last edited:

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There is no English voice overs in the game right? Just Japanese with subtitles. That's quite lame imo as I love the English voices in persona

They meant what about keeping it for sword and shield, because that's a switch game.

Presumably the answer is to trade up your Pokémon but yeah.

(Also you're absolutely right about no dub sucking)

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was clear that 2019 would be the last year. The console had a really great and long run.

I still have a backlog of titles to buy.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
We'll get that Dragon Quest XI 3DS and Pokemon gen 3 Virtual Console announcement. You'll see, you'll all see!

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I'm still waiting on the DGS2 fan translation. Plus I never finished Luigi's Mansion 2 or the 3DS Kirby games.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I bought Q2 even if I never finished Q1 (I'm quite a Persona fanboy at the end of the day), and it's shocking to me that this will be surely my last 3DS purchase.

The 3DS has been an amazing system por SRPGs and JRPGs, Atlus and Intelligent Systems (and more companies of course) have released lots of hours of good RPG content on the console.

AlbW was an amazing return to 2D Zelda, far better than anything on the DS, same with Samus Returns. Even if the 3DS feels like the most gimmicky console ever (dual screen + motion control + 3D), the developers (including Nintendo) were far more conservative with the use of the gimmicks in their games. No more touch-only Zelda, no more micro strange implementations... And I liked more this way, 3D was a great addition but I'm happy that most games don't make you use it by force.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
Does Shovel Knight King of Cards not count?

EDIT: Since it doesn't include Showdown I'm going to believe it doesn't count as "Major".

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I still have mixed feelings about this. I hate the hardware as much as I love its library.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
In the end I can't help but feel a bit dissapointed about the system after the beast that was the DS. I don't think any of the Nitendo series had better entries on 3DS than on DS.

Merc_

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 28, 2017
Someone needs to complain about the 3DS still getting a game so it can live for another 2 years.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I keep buying 3DS and they keep coming with the AR cards. I might have a draw full of the packets.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the best Nintendo system ever. The library is insane and there's no end in sight to my 3DS backlog.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Without the 3DS, Nintendo would have had an even rougher time during the dark ages of 2011-2016. May the Hero who kept the darkness at bay rest in peace.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can give you FE but for the rest I thought that most of those first party games were either hindred by hardware too much, or uninspired. But you are free to have your own opinion.
I mean, I get the whole "hardware hinders the games" thing, but:
  • Metroid: Samus Returns is categorically better than Prime Hunters
  • A Link Between Worlds is categorically better than Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks
  • 3D Land and NSMB2 are better than NSMB
  • New Leaf is literally objectively better than Wild World
  • Smash Bros. doesn't even exist on DS, lol
  • Kirby I guess is more subjective, it comes down to what kind of Kirby you like
  • WarioWare Gold is widely considered the best game in the series, but not having played it, I can defer on this one if asked to

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
time to be annoying
  • Metroid: Samus Returns is categorically better than Prime Hunters

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In the end I can't help but feel a bit dissapointed about the system after the beast that was the DS. I don't think any of the Nitendo series had better entries on 3DS than on DS.

I can't agree with that. Some were arguably better on ds like Pokémon, and bowsers inside story was better than the 3ds Mario and Luigi games, but plenty of Nintendo series got better entries.

Animal crossing, fire emblem, 2d Mario, 3d mario, Zelda (both 2d and 3d but then there were no 3d Zelda's on DS) jump to my mind as series that all had better entries on 3ds than ds

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
time to be annoying

• Yes, but worse than the GBA ones.

Nah. Spirit Tracks is the best one here.

3D Land yes, but NSMB2 is the worst mainline Mario.

New Leaf is the best Animal Crossing yes.

I guess.

Damn, this is one of the less subjectives, Phantom Thief!! Triple Deluxe and Robobot are widely recognized by fans as the best Kirby games!

Didn't play yet, but looks great.
Lol, well, on the whole I gotta say I disagree entirely:
  • Being worse than the GBA ones (I would disagree with the plural; Samus Returns is worse than Zero Mission, but better than Fusion) is fine, but the argument was DS vs 3DS entries, and Metroid is definitely better there
  • Spirit Tracks is literally my least favorite Zelda game ever, so nope!
  • Yay, we agree on Animal Crossing
  • Yes, by definition lol
  • Hey, I agree, I like the 3DS ones more! But if you like the more experimental Kirby games, I guess DS was more up your alley

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, well, on the whole I gotta say I disagree entirely:
  • Being worse than the GBA ones (I would disagree with the plural; Samus Returns is worse than Zero Mission, but better than Fusion) is fine, but the argument was DS vs 3DS entries, and Metroid is definitely better there
  • Spirit Tracks is literally my least favorite Zelda game ever, so nope!
  • Yay, we agree on Animal Crossing
  • Yes, by definition lol
  • Hey, I agree, I like the 3DS ones more! But if you like the more experimental Kirby games, I guess DS was more up your alley
I thought it was a general comparison between 3DS and other Nintendo portables, so that's why I brought up the GBA Metroid. But yeah, Samus Returns is a great game.

And Spirit Tracks ir your least fav? Really? It's basically Phantom Hourglass but improved, it should be at least above that. Much better dungeons, items, fantastic bosses, good story, great role for Zelda. You know what I think about Zelda already I guess, but ST hits all the right notes better than ALBW imo.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Love the system. Still considering picking up a N2DSXL just for the sake of having the "best" form factor of the system for working through the backlog in the future. I thought about buying a GBA Micro for similar reasons but never did, and I kind of regret it.

Does Shovel Knight King of Cards not count?

EDIT: Since it doesn't include Showdown I'm going to believe it doesn't count as "Major".

Well, PQ2 will be the last physical release (unless the Limited Run Games thing comes to fruition). Shovel Knight is major, but King of Cards is also basically stand-alone DLC (I think? Did they do the stand alone releases on 3DS?). That being said, we could get some random $4 3DSWare release two months from now so I doubt either will be the true "Final" release.

Or, this being Nintendo, for all we know they'll announce a 3DS port of Kirby Return to Dreamland or Paper Mario Color Splash at E3 for release in early 2020 or something. :P