Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I've read enough threads on here to know how this discussion might go, let me establish a few things first:

-The Nintendo Switch continues to sell incredibly well and will no doubt do so throughout the 2018 holiday season
-The Nintendo Switch has a large library of fantastic games that cater to a variety of tastes
-A big appeal factor of the Switch is the portability of the device - this also means it's power shortcomings are understandable and can be forgiven and that some games might be more appealing on Switch as opposed to more traditional devices

None of these are being debated in this post.

Now, to my point: For a person who plays a large amount of games, often at launch, it increasingly feels like the Switch has some serious software issues of late. While last year saw big new titles like Splatoon 2, Mario+Rabbids, and Mario Odyssey, halfway through 2018 there is scant sign of that same kind of original content until Pokemon and Smash Bros hit near the end of the year. While one might point out that Nintendo's first party output in general is commendable - the lack of big 3rd party support due to the device's low spec means that Nintendo *has* to go above and beyond to ensure they frequently put out new and exciting games on the platform. And while there is a large quantity of third party titles and indie games overall on the eshop, I'm not sure how anyone can say these aren't more often than not, ports of games previously released on other platforms, either Nintendo's own previous system (WiiU), or other current platforms like PC/PS4/XB1. While this is fine for a more casual audience, the fact is that in a lot of cases I've already played these titles elsewhere - and if I didn't, it's because I wasn't interested in them.

The amount of new original content arriving day and date on Switch still feels pretty sparse, hell two of the most talked about games in their E3 direct were Hollow Knight and Fortnite. Wolfenstein 2 is arriving later this year well after its launch elsewhere and at half the framerate. Again, this is entirely understandable and it's a miracle it runs on it at all - but that doesn't change the fact it's yet another game that anyone interested in probably already played.

So I guess what I'm getting at is do we think this is going to be the legacy of the Switch - a few great 1st party releases a year sprinkled among constant late/inferior ports, or will developers catch up and manage to start including the device with the launch of their titles, making it a more viable option? Is the Switch really mostly for people who want a great handheld gaming experience, despite it being equally marketed as a home console?

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a softer year and I think 2019 will hit harder. Games need more time to be made.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see where you are coming from, but I am backlogged by months on my Switch, and have personally yet to run into a situation where I feel that the flow of content on the platform is running thin. The sheer number of constant indie game launches alone ensures that.
Regardless, for someone like you, things should be changing starting next week, since the Switch has a good stream of new original games coming from there on out through to the end of the year (though nothing at the level of a BotW or SMO).

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch has an AAA software issue. It does not have a software issue on the whole. Not even close.

And when I say "AAA", I mean big budget, third party titles. I'm not talking about quality.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Bayonetta 3, SMTV, Yoshi, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Daemon X Machina, and more.

we already know how much stronger 2019 is compared to 2018.

But 2H of 2018 is really nice still

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, theres moew new games than you think coming out from now to even through September, and wolfenstein 2 is actually one of the lesser selling AAA games last year so most likely not everyone that wanted to play it has yet

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While this is fine for a more casual audience, the fact is that in a lot of cases I've already played these titles elsewhere - and if I didn't, it's because I wasn't interested in them.

It's clear you are not their target audience. There is no way Nintendo is going to be able to churn out game after game all year every year.

Serrato

Oct 25, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I currently have way too many games on my Switch to play on. My backlogging augments every month.

It seems the problem is always that people arbitrarily put some games over others, dismiss them or whatever.

A game is a game, it be a Nintendo made one, an indie or third party.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe slightly off-topic but man can you imagine how OP Nintendo would be with their first-party lineup and Sony/Microsoft's third party lineup? That would be nuts.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You never buy a Nintendo console as your main console. It's been that way since N64 and it's never going to change

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Second half of 2018 is far from a drought; indies and ports are coming in spades. But if someone only has a Switch for exclusives, I can see how it would look fairly barren.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it's mostly for people who want handhelds unfortunately. I've only bought 1 switch game this year and it was a wii u port, hyrule warriors (which is really good admittedly), and I'm not sure when the next one will be. I may cave and get smash due to best buy giving $10 for getting it but I don't have a lot of interest in the game. It's hard for me to think of the last system I had where I went a whole year only getting 1 or 2 games for it. I mean in terms of new releases xbox one is really bad but between gamepass, GwG and BC I definitely end up playing more than 1 game a year on it.

Switch is in a weird spot where I have to basically pray Nintendo puts something interesting out because it's too weak to play most modern games and I have other platforms for indies. Sadly nintendo seems to be chasing that GaaS crowd so it's getting harder to find good stuff in their releases.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely light in the single player department for the holiday season. Especially considering they're not aiming Pokemon Let's Go at the core Pokemon audience. From that perspective there's only Valkyria Chronicles for Oct-Dec. That's really light.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I have a huge Switch indie game backlog. I understand where you are coming from (Switch doesn't have any original AAA third party game that doesn't feature Mario) until Octopath* comes out, but I really don't think it's that much of a problem considering how convenient its portability is for indie games/download-only games.

*AAA status for Octo can be debated, but I think it deserves it just for how much Nintendo and Square Enix are hyping it.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I'm not worried about this year, they have two of their biggest franchises this year, I think thats enough.

I'm worried about next year. There should have been Metroid gameplay and a 2019 release window in that direct. There should have been another first party game in that direct (star fox?). Fire emblem and mario party dont cut it for me.

Wolfenstein 2 is arriving later this year well after its launch elsewhere and at half the framerate

Is wolf 2 60 on consoles?

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree actually. Despite Smash and Let's Go coming late this year, the year overall has been rather...underwhelming to say the least. Like even if you don't compare it to 2017 Switch lineup, it's not that great.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch was always kind of a secondary console. If you treat it as such and accept it for that, then it's not so bad. I'd be frustrated if that's all I had, but I don't think there are too, too many Switch-only players out there.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Switch has an AAA software issue. It does not have a software issue on the whole. Not even close.

And when I say "AAA", I mean big budget, third party titles. I'm not talking about quality.

Absolutely agree.

2018 has been a disappointing year to me in terms of first party releases but overall? There are way more games than I can buy or play right now. I have a backlog of games I own and also a backlog of games I plan to buy.

Hollow Knight is a console exclusive for now. Fortnite is the biggest game in the world right now. You're getting games like FIFA, Megaman 11, Valkyria, Vesperia and Starlink all day and date with other platforms.

In terms of third party support overall this is one of the best years a Nintendo platform has seen in a long time.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If all you're looking for is third party AAA games, sure.

Other than that this year's been good to me.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
there are far more games I want on the switch then I have time to play, and even just looking at the next three months that trend will continue:

Will be getting:

Octopath Traveler
Mega Man X Collection 1
Mega Man X Collection 2
Captain Toad
Sonic Mania Plus
Taiko
Ys VIII
Wolfenstein II
Shining Resonance Refrain
Mario Tennis Aces
BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle
The Lost Child
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Code of Princess EX
SNK Heroines

Maybe Hollow Knight / Okami HD if they have physicial releases (I know Okami has one in Japan, unsure if it will have english language option though).

Undecided on Dark Souls, V-Rally 4

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't care about AAA games on switch but I'm missing the smaller fun stuff that I can't play on my PS4.
It's still just Golf Story for me apart from the first party offerings.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
The problem I have with the switch is that there are too many games for it that I want to play and plenty more on the way.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have too many games to play as is... just cuz it doesn't appeal to you, doesn't mean I ain't spending an insane amount of money on the eshop for this system

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I was hoping they'd have some VC games out by now. Or another New Super Mario game, or F-Zero.

Mario Party looked really awesome to me. But I don't have any friends that play video games so that one isn't for me. I'm not interested in anything else I saw unfortunately.

It looks like my Switch will continue to collect dust. I haven't touched it since January.

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
I could make the Switch my only console and still not be able to keep up with all the games this thing is constantly pumping out. I don't see what you are talking about at all.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because I've read enough threads on here to know how this discussion might go, let me establish a few things first:

-The Nintendo Switch continues to sell incredibly well and will no doubt do so throughout the 2018 holiday season
-The Nintendo Switch has a large library of fantastic games that cater to a variety of tastes
-A big appeal factor of the Switch is the portability of the device - this also means it's power shortcomings are understandable and can be forgiven and that some games might be more appealing on Switch as opposed to more traditional devices

None of these are being debated in this post.

Now, to my point: For a person who plays a large amount of games, often at launch, it increasingly feels like the Switch has some serious software issues of late. While last year saw big new titles like Splatoon 2, Mario+Rabbids, and Mario Odyssey, halfway through 2018 there is scant sign of that same kind of original content until Pokemon and Smash Bros hit near the end of the year. While one might point out that Nintendo's first party output in general is commendable - the lack of big 3rd party support due to the device's low spec means that Nintendo *has* to go above and beyond to ensure they frequently put out new and exciting games on the platform. And while there is a large quantity of third party titles and indie games overall on the eshop, I'm not sure how anyone can say these aren't more often than not, ports of games previously released on other platforms, either Nintendo's own previous system (WiiU), or other current platforms like PC/PS4/XB1. While this is fine for a more casual audience, the fact is that in a lot of cases I've already played these titles elsewhere - and if I didn't, it's because I wasn't interested in them.

The amount of new original content arriving day and date on Switch still feels pretty sparse, hell two of the most talked about games in their E3 direct were Hollow Knight and Fortnite. Wolfenstein 2 is arriving later this year well after its launch elsewhere and at half the framerate. Again, this is entirely understandable and it's a miracle it runs on it at all - but that doesn't change the fact it's yet another game that anyone interested in probably already played.

So I guess what I'm getting at is do we think this is going to be the legacy of the Switch - a few great 1st party releases a year sprinkled among constant late/inferior ports, or will developers catch up and manage to start including the device with the launch of their titles, making it a more viable option? Is the Switch really mostly for people who want a great handheld gaming experience, despite it being equally marketed as a home console?

You answered your last question and your entire post right there. The Switch isn't really for you, it's for "a more casual audience". You also need to keep in mind that despite so many of the indie ports being available before they've come to Switch, they're selling more on Switch than the other platforms COMBINED. That means either most people who own a Switch buying these games either don't mind double-dipping, or are playing these games for the first time. The Switch's audience and the PC audience aren't really the same. Sure, people who own a PC might have a Switch, but the people who own a Switch for the most part probably don't game on a PC. All you have to do is look to twitter to see anyone from touring musicians, athletes, kids, etc. playing their Switch. Think those people have a gaming rig they play at home? Doubtful.

I think that's the discussion that's happening with the hardcore gaming community but not with the majority of Switch owners outside that, which is that they don't really care or know that a lot of these titles might be old, or a little downgraded. The Switch is a cool piece of tech that a lot of non-gamers are getting into, and they just like playing on it. Gamers look at the lineup and think "pffft already played all these", even a gamer like me who's only able to play so much can look at the lineup and say "Well, I missed out on Okami, Dark Souls, Wolf 2, Hollow Knight (being serious) - I'm glad I can play them on handheld on my lunch at work now!".

The Switch maybe isn't just for you, and the lineup this year might certainly not be. Nintendo didn't announce Super Mario Party hoping 100% of the people who played Breath of the Wild would be super into it. They made and announced it for all the kids and casuals already playing Switch, and for those who haven't got it yet and see it as a party/fun toy device thing.

I could make the Switch my only console and still not be able to keep up with all the games this thing is constantly pumping out. I don't see what you are talking about at all.
Lol me too, in fact this is pretty much my reality at this point. I have a PS4 and a decent PC, but based on how my life is, I barely use the other two for gaming anymore.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
Nintendo had a fantastic year in 2017, and I can overlook the lack of high profile games on the level of Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey this year because I know great games take time to create. With that said, I don't agree that the Switch is lightening up on content without those games. There are plenty of great games coming out all the time. It's just none of them will likely be GOTY material.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's fair to say the Switch doesn't have too much for 2018 that's announced, especially if you don't care about Smash. Having said that, I'm more likely to put more time into the three holiday games for this year, Super Mario Party, Pokemon Let's Go, and Smash than the entirety of everything else featured at E3 combined, likely several times over. The DLC for Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, and Xenoblade 2 also all look meaty enough even compared to full new games. Those with Octopath and Mario Tennis will keep me busy until well into 2019. I'm actually hoping it's not enough, because my backlog is out of control.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
In the span of 2 weeks I got Mega Man Collection 1&2, Bloodstained, Fortnite, Donkey Kong arcade and Hollow Knight, so I think the Switch is gonna be fine.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would have really behooved them to show off what was cooking for 2019. If they had done that people would be a lot more willing to forgive the weak Christmas 2018.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I cant ignore - where are the classic games?

Emulated or even ports of big wii/gc titles

Why dont we have Galaxy HD or Prime HD yet? Would fill out this years drought perfectly and would be cheap for nintendo to produce (or even outsource)

Why? I mean really how is this not a thing?

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
It's clear you are not their target audience. There is no way Nintendo is going to be able to churn out game after game all year every year.

Yes. Yes they can. They are sitting on like 9 billion in liquid usable cash for just this purpose as we speak.

Nintendo can absolutely put together studios and hire more personal to match the content throughput and variety of the other systems.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Not really, there is a ton of great games coming out the last half of this year that were shown for a split sec in the direct.

If you are just going by AAA big budget games then no one shown many big games coming out this year.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Xenoblade 2 would've been pushed to spring 2018. Not only would it helped with this issue a little, it would've also given them the time to polish the game more and implement the QoL improvements they've added since release. Would've been nice to have many of those for my first playthrough. I also don't think that most people would've minded it getting delayed since the Switch's first year would've been very strong either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.