• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
so it was expected to release in SEPTEMBER this year? thats crazy amount of work... i wonder if CDPR taking over means it's getting pushed to 2023..

Witcher 3 is still (so far) their greatest magnum opus so I kind of understand that they don't want to fuck this release up. I hope they take their time.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Shame about the delay but nothing wrong with this all things considered. And I'm sure CDP really really really don't want a botched launch so a long delay makes sense.

Oct 25, 2017
The OP should be updated to point out its due to the outsourced dev team being located in Russia and all that entails, not the quality of the work.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with this delay, especially considering the circumstances. Make it great, and take as long as you need. Rushing it out almost never goes well.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I figured this, something like that is an insane under taking, especially with their rep currently. They'd have to playtest that thing to hell to make sure they didnt regress much, couldnt imagine doing that with a game at that scope.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The game came out in 2015. Getting it right is way more important than hitting an arbitrary date.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
People shitting on CDPR for this, you realize that it wasn't them developing it and that it was another studio right?

This is brought up everytime in these Witcher 3 next-gen update threads and it won't stop folks ignoring that specific detail that the W3 Next-Gen update was outsourcing work since even its initial announcement. Always with the immediate knee-jerk reaction it seems.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
So maybe the external studio wasn't doing a good enough job? I just bought it for 10 bucks on XBL in anticipation of this so I'm a little bummed but I'd rather have it be a better experience.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
The hot takes ITT, whew.

Seems like a positive step and will hopefully lead to a quality release (Saber previously worked on the Switch port which was good, but also the Pro/XSX upgrades, which had some issues), not to mention the geopolitical stuff.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Not going to blame them at all for wanting to get out of a contract with a Russian dev right now, even if that means work probably has to start over from something close to scratch.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The hot takes ITT, whew.

Seems like a positive step and will hopefully lead to a quality release (Saber previously worked on the Switch port which was good, but also the Pro/XSX upgrades, which had some issues), not to mention the geopolitical stuff.

cdpr hasnt exaclty proven their technical provess on consoles either, to be honest, especially with the shitshow around cp77

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
I'm not mad at this. SquEnix took VII:R back from CC2, it's okay sometimes to do it internally. Maybe it's for the best, and *fingers crossed* they might try to get familiar with UE5 with this before starting the new The Witcher saga.

Cruella

May 5, 2021
Too bad, but makes it less unfortunate that I just finished playing it recently (didn't know about future update when I started). With HD texture pack mod on PC the game looks pretty sweet even now! The difference is big, very recommended. Many cool QoL mods as well.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Sure this sucks, but they're delaying it to be a better product. And I'm sure there is more behind the scenes. No need to bash this so hard, if they would've released it and had issues people would've complained saying CD isn't the same. Sheesh people will complain about everything these days.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Got to love some of the hot takes.

It's unfortunate, but one can understand on current events.

Last edited:

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Ah, bummer, I was holding off on my 4th playthrough, but I guess I'll have to go ahead and do it since this seems more than a year away now :/

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
cdpr hasnt exaclty proven their technical provess on consoles either, to be honest, especially with the shitshow around cp77

Very true, very true, but CP77 was more a case of a new unproven team rushing out a broken unfinished skeleton of a game. Witcher 3 was a little rough at launch but got to a good place on consoles, and I'm hoping they take the time to get this update right.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i don't have the time to drop everything to play this, so i welcome the news. i want this baby to come out fully baked, not half assed

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Ah, bummer, I was holding off on my 4th playthrough, but I guess I'll have to go ahead and do it since this seems more than a year away now :/
I was holding off on only my 2nd back in October. I never actually played the expansions either. I'm now deciding whether to keep waiting or just start it back up and if somehow this comes out earlier than I think it will, start over once again.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
dang i've been wanting to play the game again. hopefully we can get it next year.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
Okay, fair enough and a good thing to do, if a pity. I only installed it on my SX a little while ago to muck about in White Orchard until the next gen version dropped... it seems I'll not be leaving there for a while.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Not going to blame them at all for wanting to get out of a contract with a Russian dev right now, even if that means work probably has to start over from something close to scratch.

Why they would need to start from the scratch? CDPR most likely owns everything that was done on this project this far so they just keep going from what is already there.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
CD Project has huge coordination and efficiency problems when it comes to developing.

They have so much workforce and talent,but they take tripple the amount of time to get to milestone X in comparison to other companies.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
if the delay is to ensure a better product comes out, I'm all for it. Rather this than another GTA trilogy

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Is the title and OP still not updated to include the context that Sabre Interactive's Russian branch was working on this? Cyberpunk obviously had issues and they don't want that repeated. Couple that with the War in Ukraine, and the delay becomes much more understandable.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
There are always some people with Twitter level takes on era, it's weird for an enthusiast forum.

I'm ok with this. It's a shame I'll have to wait longer to play Witcher 3 again, but the delay is totally understandable.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'd be interested to see if the next gen version gets closer to the original reveal trailer, but Witcher 3 on PC with mods is pretty spectacular.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The primary source for the Russia link is this: https://ixbt.games/news/2022/03/31/...a-razryva-s-rossiiskoi-saber-interactive.html

This was posted on March 31:

"CD Projekt RED has decided to break off relations with the Russian office of Saber Interactive, which has been creating a non-xtgen version of The Witcher 3 for PS5 and Xbox Series for the last two years. The reason - the company is Russian.

This comes amid the withdrawal of the Polish company's products from sale in Russia. It is noteworthy that earlier, shortly before the announcement of the new The Witcher, CD Projekt RED appealed to users from Russia.

The Witcher 3 release for next-generation consoles PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S is now in question. Previously, it was expected to be held in September this year."

(via deepl)
That's some important context. Also, it seems like every thread about this remake so many people are unaware it was not an internal production

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Not having a date, I wonder if it's just because they don't have the staff required to work on it, or if whatever Saber gave them was lackluster. Considering the situation with the war on Ukraine, it's a smart move to break away from any Russian links.

This is brought up everytime in these Witcher 3 next-gen update threads and it won't stop folks ignoring that specific detail that the W3 Next-Gen update was outsourcing work since even its initial announcement. Always with the immediate knee-jerk reaction it seems.

Par for the course here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The primary source for the Russia link is this: https://ixbt.games/news/2022/03/31/...a-razryva-s-rossiiskoi-saber-interactive.html

This was posted on March 31:

"CD Projekt RED has decided to break off relations with the Russian office of Saber Interactive, which has been creating a non-xtgen version of The Witcher 3 for PS5 and Xbox Series for the last two years. The reason - the company is Russian.

This comes amid the withdrawal of the Polish company's products from sale in Russia. It is noteworthy that earlier, shortly before the announcement of the new The Witcher, CD Projekt RED appealed to users from Russia.

The Witcher 3 release for next-generation consoles PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S is now in question. Previously, it was expected to be held in September this year."

(via deepl)
As soo as I heard that the studio is Russian I imagined that it would be connected to the war and sanctions

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Is the game worth playing on Series X now? I read the One X improvements brought a dynamic 4K/60 fps mode.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this in other Witcher 3 related threads before, but they really should've just made this a 60fps/4K patch and released it back in 2020 or last year.

Waiting over 2 years (possibly 3 years by the time this comes out) for a next gen patch of a 7 years old game is just not an enticing prospect. Especially since this is gonna be a free update (at least for now) so it's not like they get to really sell this product at full price, so it doesn't really make much sense financially to them either.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
Is the port team at Sabre all located in Russia? I wonder if that's where Switcher 3 and other Switch stuff came out of, or if the port work is spread around.