• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one do you prefer?

• F-Zero

Votes: 543 58.2%
  • Wipeout

Votes: 381 40.8%
  • Other anti-grav racer (post in the comments)

Votes: 9 1.0%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Not too long after the release of the original F-Zero, PlayStation owners could get their fix of anti-gravity racing in Wipeout, an incredibly stylish arcade racer with great visuals, amazing speed and controls that rivaled Nintendo's franchise until both died in the 6th gen (Wipeout kinda stayed alive with HD/Fury, 2048 and the collection, but it was clear that the franchise was already past its prime).

Both series also distanced themselves quite nicely as time went on, with F-Zero doubling down on incredibly deep mechanics, unforgiving gameplay, ridiculous speeds and tight controls while Wipeout focused on fast combat racing, with much floatier physics that really made you feel like you were piloting a ship. So, which one of these do you prefer?

Personally, before the release of the Omega Collection I'd have replied with F-Zero without thinking, but after the former fused together the last two games while ironing out its issues and in the case of 2048 massively improving it, I think I might give this one to Wipeout. F-Zero does suffer a lot from the last game in the franchise releasing for the GameCube, because I'm sure if the rivalry between the two series continued both would be on much higher highs.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
F-Zero. Wipeout always felt too floaty to me tbh (too much sway when turning). I like feeling like my vehicle is gripping the track rather than hovering above it.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Love both, but nothing beats the feel of hover racing in F-Zero. I want a switch version SOOOOO BAD!! Even just a remake of X or GX with online multiplayer and maybe a track editor would be perfect. DREAM GAME!

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
Wipeout, if for no other reason than the soundtrack and (original) designs by The Designer's Republic(tm)

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
F-zero always felt way better to me, its also faster which I like and the art-style is way more appealing in Fzero

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
F-Zero. There's something about the way Wipeout plays that I've just never been able to enjoy. The crafts are just way too floaty for my tastes, I never feel dialed in.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the tighness of control and purer racing in F-Zero but it's hard to really compare them directly imo. Wipeout really has different aims, the similarities between both are more superficial than anything.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
wip'Eout". Iconic series.

tumblr_onndz4Gbn91s7c5l3o1_540.gif

6uajNQn.gif

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Voted F-Zero, but I'm glad I live in a world with both. Wipeout VR is a gift from god.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Would've replied F-Zero a couple of months ago, but since then I picked a copy of WipeOut Omega Collection and I have a PSVR. Best. Arcade. Experience. Ever. Sorry F-Zero, you should have been more alive. Or, you know, not MK8D.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I think I prefer Fzero (except for the fact Wipeout has had a more recent release) but they feel so different I'd say they're actually hard to compare.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like F-Zero, I love WipEout.

I prefer the handling, the style, the music. I want a game in a different genre set in that world as well.

"A ball bounces. A pin drops. A man falls.
Gravity is the glue which binds us to our planet.
We are about to apply the solvent which will free our species forever."

Pierre Belmondo (Director of European AG Research)

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
WipEout and it's not even close.

Of course, I understand why people would prefer F-Zero but WipEout is way more sophisticated in gameplay and style to me.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Hmm, I guess Wipeout. No, I have to say F-Zero. No, Wipeout. No... ugh.

F-Zero (along with Super Mario World) is literally directly responsible for me getting back into gaming after I finished college. Like just about everyone else around my age, I was an obsessive gamer in the '70s and early '80s, and then hitting puberty was the end. If not for F-Zero, I might never have come back. It was the first video game I played in like 7 years, and I played the fuck out of it for like two weeks straight. I didn't play it much after mastering every race, and I never really got into any of the F-Zero sequels.

The original Wipeout (along with Jumping Flash) was the reason I stopped ignoring the Playstation. When Sony announced they were doing a CD-ROM gaming console, I automatically assumed it would be in the same ballpark as the CDi and the 3DO, i.e. a failure. Never gave any serious consideration to owning one. Then like a month before launch, I went into my Toys R Us and they had a Playstation demo kiosk set up. I watched a kid play Battle Arena Toshinden for a bit, which looked stiff as fuck but no doubt graphically impressive at the time. Especially Fo's magic spheres. When the kid finished, I stepped up and checked out what other playable demos there were. After playing both Wipeout and Jumping Flash, I stepped aside to let someone else play, and I grabbed a pre-order voucher and took it to the cashier to pay a deposit. I remember you had to wait a couple months after launch for Wipeout to release. I loved it, but not as much as F-Zero. But unlike the F-Zero franchise, I liked the sequels as much if not more than the original.

I dunno, ultimately I suppose I have to admit I got more hours of enjoyment out of Wipeout, even if it doesn't loom as large as F-Zero for me.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Tough call for me. As a series I really enjoy WipEout. But FZero GX is one of my all time favorite games... So FZero gets my vote

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
wipeout is more like a gran turismo style game, albeit at high speed with floating cars in the future. each vehicle has a real physical weight to it and and to succeed you need to master the mechanics of cornering and handling the singular properties of the different teams vehicle.

whereas f-zero is more like a classic nintendo platformer, albeit at high speed with floating cars on the future. where it's about immediate snappy and tight movement and the goal is to avoid rapidly incoming obstacles at effectively as possible.

these are both good types of games and wipeout hd/fury and f-zero gx are terrific games.

personally i prefer wipeout because there are more good games in the series and i generally like the sleek futuristic world with the edm soundtracks and graphic design which makes for a more coherent package. the style of f-zero with its buttrock, anime designs and variety of dramatic track locations doesn't do it as much for me.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Wipeout in VR is unmatched by any racing game. Wipeout non VR was already better than F-Zero. I have a very soft spot for Hi-Octane. Probably my favorite until Wipeout VR mode came along.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Wipeout.

I'm completely ignorant of f zero. Always looked like a migraine inducing clusterfuck in YouTube videos

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Wipeout has great style in menu designs and ships, but I prefer everything else from the F-Zero series
Handling, characters, cheesy charisma, music, tracks, world. Its the best futuristic car racer, and seems it will forever be if nobody wants to make an actual spiritual sequel and not something that tries to be half f-zero and half wipeout, and gets right neither (im looking at you FAST RMX)

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
All the Wipeout games are swimmy and have bad music. F-Zero GX is the greatest racing game ever made.

EDIT:

PointlessWeeklyAtlanticridleyturtle-size_restricted.gif

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
F-Zero GX is one of the best games ever created. Nothing Wipeout related is on the same level. There are some cool Wipeout games, don't get me wrong. Just not on the same tier.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
the only thing they have in common is that they both fast and futuristic, but they control very differently, like comparing Burnout to Gran Turismo.
Both require a different mindset as WipEout is much more weighty.
why noth both
Not like we have many of them

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
That's s hard call... I have fond memories of both.. it's sad we won't see another wipeout, omega collection was excellent... artistically I prefer wipeout, as a racer it's fzero but by a small margin

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Wipeout is the game for those who want more conventional racing game. Being fast is just a means to an end.

F-Zero is almost just as much a survival game as it is a racing game.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Honestly, I can't think of any single thing that F-Zero does better than Wipeout, except that it's faster.
Wipeout by a landslide for me.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Im surprised Wipeout is even close to F-zero in the poll because Id rather play F-zero X on the 64 than Wipeout omega on my PS4. Admittedly Wipeout omega was my first Wipeout but it just didnt feel good and to me and it lacked personality with its non descript sci-fi look. Really was wanting a F-zero successor but got a slow game where hitting walls feels terrible and with a weak art style.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wipeout is cool as fuck, when it launched it was an absolute must for anyone with a PlayStation or Saturn.

But no Wipeout game is as good as F-Zero X so F-Zero takes the win.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Wipeout by a long margin.

As common as this comparison is though, they're quite different games and I think fans of both series often disregard the other for not being like their preferred game. Probably the most obvious example of this is F-Zero fans pointing out that F-Zero is faster, as if there were a single Wipeout fan on the planet who either doubted that or cared. If we ignore the aesthetics (which admittedly is difficult since Wipeout's aesthetics have always been a strong part of the series), the Nintendo racing game which is closest to Wipeout isn't F-Zero - it's Mario Kart.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
3D F-Zero > Wipeout > 2D F-Zero

But this is a really pointless comparison because they aren't aiming to do the same things, and the things they are trying to do they both do very well.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fzero easily. I've played a few of the Wipeout games and they're just poor imitations.