• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you vote in the primaries?

• Yes

Votes: 310 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 43 11.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I live in Iowa, the state everyone hates having first dibs. But it is closed, so being a registered independent I can not participate in the caucus unless I change my registration.

I have never really felt inclined to participate in one until now. I always tried to keep informed politically but now more than ever. I was much more casual about politics around the last election.

And honestly I registered as an independent when I was 18, mostly because I didn't want to be a party homer. I have never voted republican, so I think it's safe to say I should probably register as a D finally.

Anyways, just wondering about other experiences voting in Presidential primaries.edit= I probably should have added a poll, fail haha.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course. Always vote.

Only people who approve of the Epic Games Store don't vote. You don't wanna be that person

/s

But seriously, vote

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're god damn right I will. I missed my first election that I was eligible for, but I've voted in all the primaries, mid-terms, and Presidential elections since. "Don't boo, vote. "

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Primaries are the only time you really have a candidate that you can vote for that most closely represents your opinions.

They might not win the nomination, but you get a chance to vote for someone you actually like.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will if I get around to it but I'm currently undecided about any candidate. I just want Trump fucking gone already.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
ill vote during the election. i dont feel like getting invested in a candidate then being dissapointed later

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I'll likely pull the lever for Warren. No matter who gets the nom though, I'm voting for them.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I always do. Haven't fully decided who yet. But whoever picks up the nom will get my vote in the general.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Leaning towards Warren right now but will vote for whoever wins the nomination in the Presidential election.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
It depends on if there is a nominee yet. My state is one of the later states to have their primary so there is a decent probability that it could all be wrapped up on the presidential front by the time I would get to vote. Depending on how the House and state races look I may vote but generally we don't have a lot of options with those.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
yes. either Bernie or warren. depends on who is more likely to get the nomination

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I vote every opportunity I get. Registered for the caucus in Iowa too and voted for Bernie the last time around as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'll vote this year since our primary will actually count (the last time around Washington had a primary, but it didn't count due to also having a caucus -which has been dropped)

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I'm not a registered Democrat, so I doubt it'll be possible (it's not an open primary in this state).

Plus primaries are usually decided by the time they come here, so...

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Would like to hear more, I am as well.
Well, ill admit I struggle with being a registered independent who identifies with the left since it is kind of like being an agnostic when it comes to religion. More likely than not you're going to functionally live like an atheist anyway, so why not just dive in and just commit? It's just that the Democrats have never really been left enough to really align with my beliefs, but third parties are essentially throwing your vote away, so I'll basically always vote democrat as an act of triage. Ill admit, It is frustrating not having a voice in the primaries though. So what has your experience as an independent been like?

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Whenever it is in TN next year I will, can't have Old Man Biden be the nominee

OP
OP
Morrison71

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
Well, ill admit I struggle with being a registered independent who identifies with the left since it is kind of like being an agnostic when it comes to religion. More likely than not you're going to functionally live like an atheist anyway, so why not just dive in and just commit? It's just that the Democrats have never really been left enough to really align with my beliefs, but third parties are essentially throwing your vote away, so I'll basically always vote democrat as an act of triage. Ill admit, It is frustrating not having a voice in the primaries though. So what has your experience as an independent been like?
I tried to stay independent from the start but it's been clear it's a two party system and most of the republicans have been pretty much crazy from ever since I can remember.

I would like to stay independent but I can't see myself voting republican or another 3rd party, so I guess who am I fooling at this point.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely but MA is super Tuesday and a useless state for the most part.

I'm an independent and in MA you get to vote in whatever primary you want as long as it's just one. So last time I voted in the GOP primary basically as a protest vote against Trump, who still easily carried Massachusetts. But at least I get to say I voted against Trump twice, which is more than most. And so my vote was twice as worthless as the next MA voter.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I tried to stay independent from the start but it's been clear it's a two party system and most of the republicans have been pretty much crazy from ever since I can remember.

I would like to stay independent but I can't see myself voting republican or another 3rd party, so I guess who am I fooling at this point.
Yeah, I totally get it, I feel the same.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The 7 that said no better never complain ever.

I dunno a lot of states don't let independents or unenrolled vote in primaries. And let's be honest most primaries after Super Tuesday are pretty useless. Even super Tuesday isn't as important as it was 20 years ago.

Not voting In a primary is not tantamount to not voting in general. They can matter more on the local level but you have to be pretty tuned into local politics if you're deciding between which ... District councilor you want to represent district 8. I mean it'd be great if everyone was passionate about district 8 Republican primary, but ... It's not quite the same as the general election.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

I say stay independent if you're more comfortable being independent. I suppose in a state that doesn't let you caucus or vote in a party primary if you're unenrolled it's a negative but I'd rather work to change the state law than necessarily align with a party just for that reason.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I will. I do not take this right for granted and always make sure to exercise it.