• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you buy Google Stadia?

• Yes

• No

• I'll wait for Q4 2020 Next Xbox/PS5 and then i'll decide

Results are only viewable after voting.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Maybe in a few years, but I'm definitely willing to try it out. But not to replace any system I own atm.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested, but at launch I see no reason to jump in. With no exclusives and already having a PC, PS4 pro, and Xbox 1x I can definitely wait and see how things go and what the competition offers.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah, so it'll be the only way to try Stadia for free at launch. I don't think Google would be good for this industry, so I much rather not give them money if I can help it.

Fair enough, I'll be honest I will only jump in if they announce 4k support for phones, my phone has a 4k oled screen

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
The older, year one Destiny 2 stuff is free to play, anything current costs money:
  • Beginning September 17th, the game will be renamed to Destiny 2: New Light. Alongside this, it will be made free to play on all platforms, and will include the following content for free:
    • The base Destiny 2 game
    • The Curse of Osiris expansion
    • The Warmind expansion
    • Crucible (the PvP mode)
    • Gambit (the PvPvE mode originally introduced as part of Forsaken)
    • Patrol areas from later expansions, including Forsaken and Shadowkeep (the Tangled Shore, the Dreaming City, the Moon, etc.)
  • The Forsaken and Shadowkeep expansions, as well as Forsaken's Annual Pass, will still be paid purchases. Additionally, there will be a Shadowkeep Annual Pass; however, you will also be able to just buy the Shadowkeep seasons individually if you would prefer.
    • You are now able to purchase Forsaken and the Forsaken Annual Pass for $40 USD. Buying this bundle gives you immediate access to them, as well as the base game and first two expansions.
    • Shadowkeep will cost $35. There is also a $60 version that includes Shadowkeep and its Annual Pass. The cost of the pass's individual seasons is not currently known.
    • Shadowkeep does not require you to own Forsaken or the Forsaken Annual Pass.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I like being able to keep playing my single player games when my internet goes down (wich happens way too often for my liking).

I also like looking at my PC and knowing how powerfull it is. Pc Masterrace all that crap. I'm an enthousiast.

Oh, and i REALLY don't like Chrome. Never have.

And to top it off, i've always been weary of streaming stuff. I don't even stream my music. So i don't want to stream my games. Ever.
Since stadia can stack servers it's more powerful than your pc, so now you can look at your pc and realize it's weaker than stadia and costs a lot more than stadia

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
got mine. i'm interested to test it out. feel like if i end up with a chromecast ultra, some free games (i know they aint all free), some time i can gift to others, and i get to play around to see if this is the future, it's worth the asking price for me at least.

i wonder, can the stadia controller be used as a normal wired controller as well. that would seem useful and sensible.

edit: it's been confirmed it can be used as a normal wired usb controller. so i guess there's that https://9to5google.com/2019/03/20/google-stadia-controller-tidbits-usb-wifi-hands-on/

Hoolio

Jun 6, 2019
I will put down the 10 bucks or whatever for 1 month to try it out. I'll use Destiny 2 cross save and try it out on there I guess. I'm mainly interested to see what the latency is like etc, as even if they say oh it's this good it will still come down to where you are in the world and what internet you get.

If it's reliable i'll probably use it on occasion if they get launch day games on the pro platform to try out games i'm unsure on. Like how I put down £15 for a month of Origin Access to try out Anthem.

But there's no way it would replace any of my consoles and despite it being google I don't trust the tech, I remember OnLive and it's "revolutionary" game streaming. But I do lavish in the idea of sneakily playing Destiny on my lunch break from Chrome.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Since my PC is going on 7 years of service and I am working at getting out of debt and therefore not interested in dropping $2000+ on a new setup, Stadia has some appeal. There are a few games I would like to play that aren't available on consoles, and being able to play them on my TV in 4K/60 instead of at my computer desk (where I still have a 1080p display... a good one, but still...) or hell even play here at work on my lunch break is a nice prospect.

My PC is still playing most games fine in 1080p so I haven't felt the need to upgrade it. With Stadia I really wouldn't have to - as long as they keep the games coming it would technically take 10-12 years or so of that $10 to equal the price of the gaming PC I'd build. For VR and other general gaming needs I have a plethora of consoles. For Web browsing and productivity stuff I have my Mac and my iPad as well as my work PC. Stadia will allow me to play top tier PC games without investing in top tier hardware. I'm not the kind of guy that's going to complain about a small delay in input lag - I've been playing games for 40 years and am pretty damned adaptable to things not always being perfect.... anyone who grew up playing the arcade games that always weren't well maintained should be. For things that require frame-perfect inputs like music games, I'll just play those on consoles.

All that said, I'm not 100% sold yet. I am still thinking about it and I want to see the actual game prices before I commit. Poll really needs more than the three options it has now. A hard yes or no, or waiting until the end of next year really don't give many options. There should be a "Maybe - I want to see how the launch goes," or "I'm still on the fence" option that doesn't need a full year and a half to resolve.

Last edited:

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
This will be a more casual pick up and play platform. The hardcore gamers will more often than not, downplay it and want it to fail. The casual gamer masses will ensure a streaming service, whether it's Stadia or Xcloud, will succeed eventually. Sure, the internet may go down on occasion, but the ease of use and convenience will be a selling factor. I hope they partner with Blizzard to bring me Diablo 4 with mouse and keyboard support. I don't want to have to get a new PC.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since my PC is going on 7 years of service and I am working at getting out of debt and therefore not interested in dropping $2000+ on a new setup, Stadia has some appeal. There are a few games I would like to play that aren't available on consoles, and being able to play them on my TV in 4K/60 instead of at my computer desk (where I still have a 1080p display... a good one, but still...) or hell even play here at work on my lunch break is a nice prospect.

My PC is still playing most games fine in 1080p so I haven't felt the need to upgrade it. With Stadia I really wouldn't have to - as long as they keep the games coming it would technically take 2 years or so of that $10 to equal the price of the gaming PC I'd build. For VR and other general gaming needs I have a plethora of consoles. For Web browsing and productivity stuff I have my Mac and my iPad as well as my work PC. Stadia will allow me to play top tier PC games without investing in top tier hardware. I'm not the kind of guy that's going to complain about a small delay in input lag - I've been playing games for 40 years and am pretty damned adaptable to things not always being perfect.... anyone who grew up playing the arcade games that always weren't well maintained should be. For things that require frame-perfect inputs like music games, I'll just play those on consoles.

All that said, I'm not 100% sold yet. I am still thinking about it and I want to see the actual game prices before I commit. Poll really needs more than the three options it has now. A hard yes or no, or waiting until the end of next year really don't give many options. There should be a "Maybe - I want to see how the launch goes," or "I'm still on the fence" option that doesn't need a full year and a half to resolve.
You could just not pay the sub either and play in 1080p if your happy with 1080p now, 10$ is optional

And you couldn't get a new pc with a potential 32 teraflops for a good price lol

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You could just not pay the sub either and play in 1080p if your happy with 1080p now, 10$ is optional

But I'm NOT happy with 1080p. I would most definitely like to upgrade the little bit of PC gaming I do to 4K/60. I just don't "$2000-2500" want to upgrade that experience. I already have a 4K TV and Atmos in the living room, so if for $10 a month I can get access to a solution to play some games using that existing setup with no new hardware investment outside of a controller (already have a Chromecast Ultra in there), then I'd be a fool not to be interested.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But I'm NOT happy with 1080p. I would most definitely like to upgrade the little bit of PC gaming I do to 4K/60. I just don't "$2000-2500" want to upgrade that experience. I already have a 4K TV and Atmos in the living room, so if for $10 a month I can get access to a solution to play some games using that existing setup with no new hardware investment outside of a controller (already have a Chromecast Ultra in there), then I'd be a fool not to be interested.
Well then 10$ a month would be a lot cheaper than a 2,000$ pc

It would take 16 years for that 10$ a month to equal the cost of a 2,000$ pc

And probably in less than 10 years you would have to upgrade that pc again so the total cost over 10 - 16 years would be more than 2,000 for a pc

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7V9Zhy

Something like this (considering that I'm quite sure even Stadia won't be running at everything maxed out) at 800$ will get you 4k/60fps, and apparently AMD is pushing out new cards next month or something - no mining fad to stop them from being cheap.

EDIT - might be around 800$, missed the mobo there.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well then 10$ a month would be a lot cheaper than a 2,000$ pc

It would take 16 years for that 10$ a month to equal the cost of a 2,000$ pc

And probably in less than 10 years you would have to upgrade that pc again so the total cost over 10 - 16 years would be more than 2,000

Exactly. That's why I am interested in taking Stadia for a spin. It's got some potential so long as the technology works. The collector in me still wants my physical games, but since I have almost 2000 of those as it is I'm at the point where I've been increasingly going digital just becuase this stuff takes up space and I'm running out! Also as time goes on I find that not every single game is worth going back to like many of the 8 bit and 16 bit games were and still are. Some experiences really are one and done kinds of things now, so paying for those to exist only in the cloud is fine.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I gotta say Microsoft's and Sony's streaming services are way more compelling to me than Stadia because they're a companion service to the local hardware. Stadia is inherently less valuable to me as someone who will always choose local hardware if I can.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Oh with my areas intermet connection lol I'd only be using it indoors probably on my WiFi

Nice. It's really confusing why they would focus on chrome cast first when they have so many Android phones out there. You'd think they would focus on their biggest markets which would be their Android platform or chrome in general.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I want to try it out for free first, and depending on how it feels like I might jump in. But to be honest I would rather jump into and equivalent service by Sony, because of the exclusives.

I'm fully onboard with a streaming future if the technology is solid. I am all for not having more clutter and stuff and move into a purely digital medium.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I won't buy the Founder's Edition but I would definitely give the subscription version a shot for a month. This is assuming the games are interesting enough and that it works as promised, of course. I have a 250 mbit connection and no datacaps so no worries on that front.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I dont see why honestly. Next xbox will do all that with xcloud, gamepass and having a dedicated console at home with possibilities of offline play.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My fellow founders brethren. I will join you in the cloud.

N0BxHt6.png

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
I pre ordered one. I'm still not sure why. But I do like the fact that it doesn't charge me till it ships and I have till November to cancel it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, the "no/drastically reduced loading times" on PS5 is far compelling to me than "no installation but still long loading times", and the Stadia loses on other reasons like:
  • weak exclusive line up
  • rumored to be weaker than PS5
  • insane data usage
Stadia hardware can supposedly be stacked for better performance, I think they said they would be upgraded as time goes by as well, no idea what kind of timespan we're talking about though.

The loading times shouldn't be longer than on PC but the fast data streaming advantage, for detailed and fast open world games, seems to be PS5 exclusive though, so far.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure we'll see Stadia advancing it's tech over time since it's just stacking and Google has the $

Amanita

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm thinking I will buy games on it. I won't get the subscription. I don't need to play in 4K. But I don't have a console and my gaming PC is getting a bit long in the tooth. With the next generation on the horizon, this is about the time I'd be building a new PC. But if Google can save me a thousand dollars by letting me stream games in 1080p and 60fps, then that sounds good to me. Goodbye hardware.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
They said 120 fps is coming later during their first announcement

Yeah, well. Not for now so my stance is still valid. ;)

And anyway, i'm don't like streaming stuff. It never felt right to me. Especially if it's for something i have to buy. If i buy something, i intend of having it stored in my home. Even if it's just on a ssd or hard-drive. Too old school for streaming anything i think. I still buy cds after all.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I must admit the Founders Editions looks interesting. I have a PC but it's way too weak to play anything current. My internet connection on the other hand is pretty solid.
I'd love to give this a try first, though. Not sure I'll go in blind.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely not for me. I don't play too many games any more and will probably sit out on purchasing any new consoles at all until a PS5 refresh (PS5 pro). Broader than me, I see it lacking appeal for the masses as well. In my opinion, the 1080P version should be Netflix-priced ($9.99 month, access to any game on the service at the time). The fact that the 1080P version requires individual purchasing of games seems to defeat the point of streaming...in my opinion at least

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Ah okay yeah if you have unstable internet then I understand.

But otherwise, the "4K/HDR fee", $120/ year isn't so bad considering that's all there is, no upgrades half through the generation and no other hidden costs expect the games. Try add up all the total cost for consoles during a generation with online gaming and maybe an external hdd and upgrade etc. It's a lot.
Take the free Stadia Base into consideration and it's unmatchable.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
For $10 I'm curious enough to try it for a month, but won't be subscribing long term because I have a more than capable PC + consoles and fast enough internet that I may as well just download games.